Why take a NSX over a SupraTT?

random question... if i had a 380-400whp turbo nsx. How fast of a supra do you think the nsx could beat? ive always wondered this

A 400 whp NSX is probably equivalent to a 550 bhp Supra. 550hp is fairly easy to get in a Supra. Many larger turbo and boost controller setups can basically get you there. May need a fuel rail and cams to get 550 but standalone engine management is probably unnecessary to 550.

A 400 whp NSX is proably going to be faster than 90% of the Supras on the road. Getting past around 500-600 bhp in the Supra is a little more costly and you'll really only see seriously built setups put up 600+ hp numbers. You'll probably want forged pistons, race cams, serious fuel pumps and full standalone engine mgmt over that number.

I just bought a '98 Supra, and I'll post my impressions vs. NSX once I get more seat time in the Supra.

2 years later, now that this thread has been revived, my impression is that stock for stock, I prefer the NSX. The NSX feels better built. The Supra feels heavy where the NSX feels light & nimble. The Supra, while it has more power on paper, doesn't feel noticeably faster in a straight line. I'm sure modified, it becomes quite a different story, but stock for stock, if I wasn't allowed to own both, I'd pick the NSX.

To be honest Id prefer the NSX not because ima Honda fan. But because anyone can go fast in a straight line. I prefer high speed turns and great handling. The NSX does cost more to purchase and mod but the rarity of the NSX is there over the Supra IMO. Plus the NSX has a timeless look. Both have strong points and both bring great things to the table.

......The NSX is a great date car when i want to take my wife out for a nice dinner, it always gets valeted out front because the design in timeless and i keep mine clean. It attracts some attention but not an annoying amount.

In my Supra i got ricer flybys and stop light engine revs, in my NSX i get thumbs up and camera phone snaps. They are too very different types of cars and evoke very different responses from people....

I agree, the NSX is a great date car.

When i had the FD it was too harsh of a ride and modified to take a gal out on a date. The NSX has a better fit and finish for dates and cruising around.

But I do get good attention like you as well as the bad attention that your Supra gets from the "racers"

people are more likely to instigate a race when I was in the NSX than when I was rolling around in the FD or GTO....

A 480-500whp Supra.

Are you sure about that number?

When I had the FD back in the day a 350rwhp FD was about on par with matching or slightly edging a 400-430rwhp MKIV.

The FDs were about 2700lbs, lighter than a standard NSX and NSX T.

Is there something in the gearing in the NSX that is better than the Supra?

FD's have 4:10 rear end from the factory and are a .29 - .31 Cd where the NSX is a .32 Cd

I am fortunate to own both ( actually 2 supras ). I said this on the Supra forum and I will say it here. If I could only keep one car, it would be the NSX. Its not a bash on my Supras as one is stock and one is my project. Maybe when I go single it will be a harder decision but I hope I dont have to make it anytime soon.

My rare 98 Quicksilver 6 speed with rare Active Aero spoiler
SUPRAPARTS1012.jpg

My 97 6 speed (project)
supra5005.jpg

Getting past around 500-600 bhp in the Supra is a little more costly and you'll really only see seriously built setups put up 600+ hp numbers. You'll probably want forged pistons, race cams, serious fuel pumps and full standalone engine mgmt over that number.

The 2JZ - even 16 years later - is still the ultimate tuner motor. 600-700hp on stock internals is common.

I made 635whp (~750 crank) on my bone stock 2JZ motor. Not even cams or adjustable cam gears. Stock head and bottom end, stock gaskets, everything between valve cover and oil pain is 100% original. And that was two hard driven years ago, no issues.

It's amazing that they "don't build them like they used to". Sad, really.

I guess the answer to the question lies in what you are using the vehicle for...I always sum it up like this...

Supra = Butcher knife

*butcher knife -
A heavy-duty knife with a broad sharp blade used for cutting meat with brute force.

NSX = Scalpel

*Scalpel -
A small knife with a thin, keen blade, used by surgeons, and in dissecting/carving with precision.

If my wallet would allow it, I would definitely like to add a Supra to the garage and have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
I guess the answer to the question lies in what you are using the vehicle for...I always sum it up like this...

Supra = Butcher knife

*butcher knife -
A heavy-duty knife with a broad sharp blade used for cutting meat with brute force.

NSX = Scalpel

*Scalpel -
A small knife with a thin, keen blade, used by surgeons, and in dissecting/carving with precision.

If my wallet would allow it, I would definitely like to add a Supra to the garage and have the best of both worlds.

wow totally agreed!

i was initially going to buy a supra since it was my favorite car in high school (1997) next to the eclipse and rx-7. the nsx was just wayyyy out of my league back then and i just thought of it as an exotic that i look at, just like a lambo or ferrari.

last year, when i went to the used car lot to actually test drive a supra, i saw 2 nsx's there. i said hot damn! it just looked so nice, even tho those 2 were 91s and in shitty conditions. i stopped looking for supras on ebay and began searching nsxs. test drove a great conditioned 96 and fell in love. i was pulled over by a cop while test driving and got away without a ticket cuz i told him i did not know the capabilities of this vehicle. (i also read on other posts here that some people have gotten away with just a warning when pulled over). after some searching, i finally found my 97 nsx-t with 100k miles and in excellent condition inside and out for $26k. i'm happy with the decision i made over the supra, altho i will buy the supra in the future if $ permits.

just recently sold my supra tt c-spec and now looking for an nsx. Here in Canada we can import jdms and that kind of made it less exclusive. Watered down the whole market with cheap cars from overseas.

great read . i love both cars myself i still wanna own a supra :biggrin: hopefully soon but if i had to pick between my na2 and a supra the choice is a no brainer, nsx

Park an nsx next to a supra and stand back... couple of my people try to stick the nsx with the others example. 3000gt, supra, 300zx, rx7. Im sorry the nsx was not in there class, it was with the porsches, ferraris, etc.

Holy thread revival batman !!

The supra is like a sumo wrestler. The nsx is like a ninja.
3 Japanese cars I would love to own are nsx, skyline r34 and supra.

I have a Supra TT and was thinking hte same, I am older now and the supra is an awesome car I just need a change, If I do get an NSX I want a 3.2l 6spd, and about 350-400, brake upgrade, 19\18 wheels and a slight lower and I'm good to go.

1994 TT supra 388HP\382FTQ

Ben here on Prime has his superb 98 Quiksilver Supra TT stock for sale here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132512

Thats a beauty. With each year, there are fewer and fewer actual Supras left really. Bens car is, no exaggeration, one of a *very rare* breed.

The problem is such an epidemic, its hard to say what a Supra even is anymore. I think that is the reason you see such insanity on threads like this. No one even knows what a stock Supra TT is. It isnt considered relevant by anyone (which is idiotic) Everyones "experience" with the Supra is based on cars that were probably totaled and completely rebuilt and dont remotely resemble what Toyota sold with the exception of the engine block (which is all these "enthusiasts" seem to fetishize about the car since they change literally everything else)

To me, in its *stock form*, it's a car I know very well. It was always a fantastic car and a great bargain, although to the vast majority of buyers a $40k Toyota seemed about as ridiculous as an $80k Honda at the time (hence the really small MKIV sales numbers)

The *stock* Supra, the one Toyota actually built and sold and not the frankenstein projects that now make up 80+% of the Supra population, was a really capable car but was just less visceral than an NSX.

To me, the same way the NSX falls short of a Ferrari 355, the Supra falls short of an NSX.

Someone who is really immature and is in that stage where they are out proving their manhood "on the street!" like "DOM TORRETO!" won't understand or appreciate this. To be fair, a boulevard poser wont either.

These "debates" generally come down to wars between those two camps. The ghetto racer who needs 1250 HP so he can "humiliate" other guys "on the street" (until he ends up dead or in jail) vs the boulevard cruiser who really only owns a sports car because he thinks it will make him look rich or help get pu$$y (until he realizes it doesnt work that way or the car gets repo'd) :D

It is certainly possible for a true enthusiast to prefer the Supra to an NSX without a doubt. But I do think that the NSX excels far more in all of the areas that appeal to the true enthusiast than the Supra which is why history is remembering these two cars the way it is. That isnt really subjective. The NSX was the Japanese Ferrari, but thats not the same as *being* a Ferrari, like it or not. The Supra was a Japanese supercar, but it just wasnt the NSX. Anyone who doesnt come at this argument with religion tends to net it out that way.

Kinda got a laugh out of BATMANs questioning Stuntman regarding if he is sure about how fast the NSX is... lol...

Back