WOW NSX is more $$$ than a Porsche!!

...... do you go to cheap gas stations to save money too?

I'm guilty of that - costco (the retailer that is known to sell quality without the price tag)

:biggrin:

I was going by the $1 saved is $1 earned.

Never lost any engines (FD, NSX, GTO, etc.) to costco or 76.

But Chevron's gas.

That's another story. 2 FD engines and when I popped the GTO engine it was filled with Chevron.

.....The GTR is just too fast trust me....I still love my NSX but I do envy the GTR's power output as it can walk almost any car out there.....

rick

I thought the GTR would be too slow for ya since you roll in Busa which eclipse just about any car out there.... :cool:

There it is! How did it take 5 pages of thread to get into a GTO discussion? :rolleyes:

Even though there are failures to the transmission, there are a ton of people hitting 800whp on these things with bolt ons unopened!!! The turbos are sized to make 600whp + with a flash and bolt ons. The aftermarket already have a heavy duty gearset made to address the transmission problems which cost a lot less than replacing the entire tranny. Boost Logic is well on there way to make 1000whp on one already. The problem is that when the ecu sees over 800 lb ft of torque it will not shift out of first gear so they have to wait for the revs to drop. But the car is impressive non the less, the car has been out for 2 years and it already is running 9's in the 1/4 mile.

The 2 guys that I met that either re flahsed their ECu and/or did other heavy mods making 600whp and 850whp on another example don't launch the GTR anymore in fear of the tranny parts littering the road....

Well Jason and S14tat, this is kind of a thread within a thread and I've enjoyed finding out why I will never own another Nissan - unless they really do something to improve their products - not that I would ever invest my money in the GT-R. I would rather have a 911 ten times over than a GT-R - you see as Jason pointed out in one of his posts on this subject - you buy a car for more than just raw acceleration - which voids the warranty (amazing)- I surely do. Looks is not a small part of the equation. I've looked at the GT-R and it's clunky looking outside and especially inside - that is the worst interior on a high priced car. I'm sorry but someone would have to kick me hard if I bought a GT-R over a new 911 S - read NO COMPARISON - not for me. I like beauty inside and out when I'm buying a sports car. The Nissan has neither - not one thing in their Nissan line is good looking - their Infinity line up is a little different - the G37 is nice looking - that's the only one imho.

Thanks for the education Jason. I believe you won that debate! Fun stuff and this is why I like Prime - just another example! :wink:

BTW - where is the knucklehead that started this thread anyway - did he get tired of the verbal "ass whoopin" he was getting? Must be driving that 964 - good luck to him.

Well Tim, I am personally a Nissan man. The only Honda product I like is the NSX. I think Nissan has some of the best looking/ most powerful cars in its class such as the Nissan Maxima ( very sharp car ). Every car in their luxury division are RWD with an avaliable V8. If you want japanese performance you get a Nissan.

Well Tim, I am personally a Nissan man. The only Honda product I like is the NSX. I think Nissan has some of the best looking/ most powerful cars in its class such as the Nissan Maxima ( very sharp car ). Every car in their luxury division are RWD with an avaliable V8. If you want japanese performance you get a Nissan.

eewwww.

Only thing from Nissan/Infinity that looks good is the G35 coupe (thanks to it's tail lights).

Name one Japanese company that makes real performance cars that is out in the market now. The Z has the mid range covered along with the G series, the GTR has the high end covered, the SE-R while not being class leading is definitely in the running. Nissan makes full frame trucks with big v8's for their true heavy duty vehicles. They have real BMW, Audi, and Benz competition covered with the G, M, and the FX series. Lexus was too boring until the IS-F came out, Acura is still playing with FWD V6 power trying to pose as a premium brand, Mazda has RX-8, Mitsubishi has the EVO, Subaru has the STi. But these are only in one small segment while Nissan has all the performance segments covered.

DOCJON. strong colon, LOL . heres a better one,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
1 year ago I had to take a sh_t is was so big some would call it a beast,<o:p></o:p>
3 Beasts ago I was Sport Shitting and I will continue to buy More Shit.
Not to be the one to cast the first stone

DOCJON. strong colon, LOL . heres a better one,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
1 year ago I had to take a sh_t is was so big some would call it a beast,<o:p></o:p>
3 Beasts ago I was Sport Shitting and I will continue to buy More Shit.
Not to be the one to cast the first stone

Your translation may be just as valid as mine:wink: Only way to know for sure is if that member posts somemore and we hook up the universal translator:biggrin:

Name one Japanese company that makes real performance cars that is out in the market now. The Z has the mid range covered along with the G series, the GTR has the high end covered, the SE-R while not being class leading is definitely in the running. Nissan makes full frame trucks with big v8's for their true heavy duty vehicles. They have real BMW, Audi, and Benz competition covered with the G, M, and the FX series. Lexus was too boring until the IS-F came out, Acura is still playing with FWD V6 power trying to pose as a premium brand, Mazda has RX-8, Mitsubishi has the EVO, Subaru has the STi. But these are only in one small segment while Nissan has all the performance segments covered.

I agree with what you saying. Really, but the regular Nissan line is not built with the quality in my opinion that Honda or Toyota builds into their cars. Now you have Hundai and Kia. They surely aren't doing performance much - the Genesis coupe - a wanna be. So Nissan is covering the performance end of things and the 370Z is getting good reviews but I've driven a Maxima and an Altima after a few years on the road and I don't feel quality. The Maxima I drove was a few years ago from a Enterprise -not that many miles but was a rental - but it felt like a tin can. My friend that has the Altima 3.5S has had to replace the transmission - now this is the guy that drove his Honda EX Civic coupe on the original clutch for over 150k miles - not the power - but he is gentle on cars. He's had all kinds of problems with that car. The infiniti line is better and has a lot more quality - but I don't like any of them but the G37 - my opinion or really just my own preferrence.

But then I don't like a lot of cars out there - if I were shopping for a sedan - I'd probably be looking at a BMW. I loved my 530i - that was a nice car. My wife has a 2007 RL - flagship - very comfy- nice lines - feels very solid with quality pieces throughout. But it gets awful mileage cause it is way heavy - almost 4000 pounds. Too heavy - could be a rear wheel drive and bag the AWD and it would be better for it I think. But the quality of Honda and Acura are imho better than Nissan - and plenty sporty. My Honda Civic SI 4 door was a great solid car. I would stack their quality up against Nissans any day or any other Japanese manufacturer - Toyota/Lexus is on par too. How did we get so far off topic - oh boy:rolleyes: Sorry!

Oh of course I'm not delusional to the point where I would say Nissan quality if on par with Honda, and Toyota because it is not. However, I would still put it above all the domestic brands and ahead all other japanese brands except for subaru, honda and toyota. When people talk about cars, they always look back to the older cars that are no longer made, but I like to talk about current line up which from a performance/quality balance its hard to beat Nissan/Infiniti. I also wouldn't sleep on Hyundai either, the Equus and the Genesis and the new Sonata are very very nice. Also Hyundai already surpassed Honda in my opinion. They already have a V8 engine that makes 380hp with a RWD luxury platform. This is why I'm not a Honda fan, they are too stubborn to change and improve, and have flat out left its performance image all together. Acura can market and hype its innovation all they want, I'm not buying it one bit. Also Tim, you know better than to judge a car from a rental. Those cars gets beat to hell and back. Most Nissans are decently screwed together interior wise. Their V6 are stout, its only their electronics that gives them problems. Also if you thought the GTR's interior is cheap for a 80K car, you should sit in a Z06 or ZR1. Now that is a cheap interior.

Last edited:
Personally, I like Nissan. I've owned a few of them in the past...1984 Datsun Sentra (180K miles on it when sold), 1989 Pulsar NX (130K when sold), and a 1988 Maxima that had 274K miles on it (all original except for wear components, even interior) when I was rear ended and it was totaled out. I've driven even more. I haven't owned any of their recent entries, but I wouldn't rule out Nissan/Infinity when shopping. Just my personal opinion though.

Oh of course I'm not delusional to the point where I would say Nissan quality if on par with Honda, and Toyota because it is not. However, I would still put it above all the domestic brands and ahead all other japanese brands except for subaru, honda and toyota. When people talk about cars, they always look back to the older cars that are no longer made, but I like to talk about current line up which from a performance/quality balance its hard to beat Nissan/Infiniti. I also wouldn't sleep on Hyundai either, the Equus and the Genesis and the new Sonata are very very nice. Also Hyundai already surpassed Honda in my opinion. They already have a V8 engine that makes 380hp with a RWD luxury platform. This is why I'm not a Honda fan, they are too stubborn to change and improve, and have flat out left its performance image all together. Acura can market and hype its innovation all they want, I'm not buying it one bit. Also Tim, you know better than to judge a car from a rental. Those cars gets beat to hell and back. Most Nissans are decently screwed together interior wise. Their V6 are stout, its only their electronics that gives them problems. Also if you thought the GTR's interior is cheap for a 80K car, you should sit in a Z06 or ZR1. Now that is a cheap interior.

All good points and a bit of humor too - good write there S14! I agree totally with the advertising by Acura and Honda which was absolutely non existant for the NSX during the last years - I'm totally sad to say. They have let us all down. I'm with you on Hundai too - they are really on the rise - very impressive to have a 100k warranty.

You are right on all points and I do know better than to base any thing on a "rental" experience cause they are beat to hell. Your comment on the Vette is well taken too - it has always been a "bone" to pick with Chevrolet. I could go on about the vette but many like it. Good write up again - good conversation too.

Last edited:
I havent driven all cars from all manufacturers lately, but I would like to compare the 370z to the Acura TL SH AWD.

Ok, its a four door, yeah, its only got 303hp... yeah the front end looks like a bottle opener... but you know what... its friggin fast as hell. Its really nicely built, feels solid, doesnt feel like plastic.. its comofortable, its got all the bells and whistles.

My friend spoke very hightly of the 370z. So I went to the local Nissan Dealership and had tem remove the only manual 370 they had from the floor. Took her for a spin and have to tell you.... despite all the reviews I really didnt like it. First of all, it feels huge and plastic. Im sure by the numbers its fast, but you cant feel it. What good is speed if you have no sensation.. Other than seeing cars behind you. Its a little like a video game.

There is no question Acura is not competing in the Mitsu-Evo, STi, GTR category and for that I am pissed. But that doesnt mean I am going to buy a nissan because they are currently better than the rest. Why not compare to cars past.. thats what I did... which explaines why I just purchased an NSX LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....I agree totally with the advertising by Acura and Honda which was absolutely non existant for the NSX during the last years - I'm totally sad to say....

Perhaps they were operating on a "if you build it...." mentality.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0SRwLRNL7to&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0SRwLRNL7to&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xd8tDkmrCdE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xd8tDkmrCdE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gtDuxrItuyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gtDuxrItuyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
(there is one from the later years)

I have never seen ANY of these commecials?? Where did you find them?

PS. What commericals do you see for the current top of the line Nissan? There is one commercial Nissan shows the GTR for about .5 seconds while showing their entire line up... but nothing in particular... or am I watching the wrong TV stations?

Jman

Perhaps they were operating on a "if you build it...." mentality.

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/0SRwLRNL7to&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>
<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/Xd8tDkmrCdE&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>
<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/gtDuxrItuyU&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>
(there is one from the later years)

Don't know what Nissan has now (don't have a lot of time for TV watching....too busy driving for recreation! :D )....

But this was always one of my favorites form them...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwNYjfQDEXs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwNYjfQDEXs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

^^^ Great ad, but why didn't they use the TT model instead of the weak NA version?

The GTR launch control is not an issue on 2010/11 models as they have it setup where the clutch does not dump as hard.

I'm personally not a GTR fan because there is no manual but I've driven plenty of NSX (stock/modified) and a stock GTR will spank the NSX 99/100 times guaranteed. The GTR is just too fast trust me.

I still love my NSX but I do envy the GTR's power output as it can walk almost any car out there.....

rick

You must be talking about a GTR vs a supercharged NSX at a road track course (and that is still driver dependent), because a stock GTR traps at 118 and my SOS supercharged NSX traps at 123. The GTR gets walked by F430, Z06, 911Turbo, R8 V10, Viper, etc --- esp after the quarter mile. Now if you mean a modified GTR ok but the tranny on the GTR at elevated levels is weak.

Wow 123mph in the 1/4 with the S.O.S. supercharger? You must be running the larger blower with the aftercooler option. How much power are you making?

Wow 123mph in the 1/4 with the S.O.S. supercharger? You must be running the larger blower with the aftercooler option. How much power are you making?

415wrhp with 315wrtq but that dyno run was made in the upper 90s. I did a quarter run in Feb when it was much colder and ran that number ---- yes I have the aftercooler and a 2005 engine.

415wrhp with 315wrtq but that dyno run was made in the upper 90s. I did a quarter run in Feb when it was much colder and ran that number ---- yes I have the aftercooler and a 2005 engine.

Chris, I should move out of CA and buy a house in Henderson so I can have engine mods like that. :biggrin:

That's another story. 2 FD engines and when I popped the GTO engine it was filled with Chevron.

Probably more to do with the car than the gas. :wink:

BTW- the OP has been gone for pages now... leave it to prime to beat a dead horse for another month or two. :)

Last edited:
Back