WOW NSX is more $$$ than a Porsche!!

Whats included in that? Is it a time OR mileage requirement?

I cant remember if its a valve adjustment, or a timing belt thing, but it needs some major work after the first few thousand miles... and it gets worse... MUCH WORSE.

The onboard computer actually records into permanant memory if you go on a track via the GPS data. The warranty is automatically voided on a new car ****VOIDED**** if you do any of the following:

1. Drive with VDC off. EVER! this is your launch control, so if you wish to launch your car and achieve the 0-60 in 3.3 seconds you WILL ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT VOID YOUR WARRANTY

2. Race - AT ALL.. whis is done by records kept in your onboard black box. So if you drive too fast.. VOIDED WARRANTY

3. "Any competitive driving of any sort whatsoever" - Once again via the black box onboard. VOIDED WARRANTY

4. "use on a track or driving on any airstrip" - Once again, via GPS location recorded in black box

5. "disconnecting any computer or electronic modules" - so if you disable your black box, OR the GPS even if you havent been to a track.... VOIDED WARRANTY

6. "deleting any or all stored information in any computer" - VOIDED WARRANTY

So you buy a sports car that is capable of 0-60 in 3.3 seconds for 85K... I have no problems with that.. I actually thought to myself its kinda the NSX of the new era... but if you use the car for the purpose for which it was built you void your warranty. And the transmission is somewhere between 20-30k to replace which will be cash out of pocket, and will fail again when you use the car again.

There is a reason why it voids the warranty, because Nissan knows it wont hold up. Yeah, a few times might work but when the tranny goes out if you EVER did any of the items listed above youre gonna get a really ugly wake up call. (this was the case with a customer I ran into at a Nissan dealership... he did use launch control but his tranny failed at a different time. The onboard computer proved he wasnt doing anything questionable but because he had, past tense, HAD used it, his warranty was no longer valid)

Is this information current? YEP! its straight out of the 2011 GT-R users manual.

Go straight to page 10, LINK: http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/gtr/2011/2011-Nissan-GTR.pdf

So yeah, its fast, but how much is it going to cost you in the long run. And I am pretty sure anyone with superior driving skills can beat a GT-R driven by a guy with less skills. Power is not everything.

On a different note, numbers aside... Have you driven one? Its HUGE!!! You feel like you are driving a truck... ok, a very very very fast truck. But you feel very far removed from the driving experience and kinda feels like a video game. I wish I could say that is just my opinion but it isnt. I really wanted to buy this car since the new NSX didnt come out again.

I started hearing some horor stories from owners. Coupled with bad resale values on cars.com. Then I read the manual, watched the videos on youtube and saw a guy at the nissan dealership who had to buy a new tranny and couldnt.

In many peoples opinion based on direct knowlege the car is ALMOST a good car. If only you could use it for what it was built, felt a little sportier, had a manual transmission, etc etc etc.

So back to my original discussion... is the NSX still a contender? Is it really a has-been? IMHO, no way!

Jman

PS I dont mean to be mean, but I am passionate on this subject :)

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/pictures-nissan-gt-r-vs-honda-nsx-size-comparison

I do not like these lines of tank attack… it misses nothing any more but the turret of shooting! , heavy and massive aspect, nothing like it a rear central engine and of the fluid lines, the power is not all, sporting, to be succeeded must correspond has idea that one in fact… for this model, it's missed… has my taste, the amateurs of the German styling go enticed beings (Porsches?) :biggrin: the amateurs of the Italian styling (how me… viva Pininfarina!!!) go disappointed beings! … for me, the front part, the back width of way, the height of case, it's ugly, the fragile engine, in Europe more than 400 GTR have been returned to Nissan for the defect of the crankshaft bearings (bad alloy) much of engine GTR broke with a weak mileage… Honda NSX has been on the roads and rolls on circuit without any problem for 20 years!
NSX...it's the best

Last edited:
Even though there are failures to the transmission, there are a ton of people hitting 800whp on these things with bolt ons unopened!!! The turbos are sized to make 600whp + with a flash and bolt ons. The aftermarket already have a heavy duty gearset made to address the transmission problems which cost a lot less than replacing the entire tranny. Boost Logic is well on there way to make 1000whp on one already. The problem is that when the ecu sees over 800 lb ft of torque it will not shift out of first gear so they have to wait for the revs to drop. But the car is impressive non the less, the car has been out for 2 years and it already is running 9's in the 1/4 mile.

Even though there are failures to the transmission, there are a ton of people hitting 800whp on these things with bolt ons unopened!!! The turbos are sized to make 600whp + with a flash and bolt ons. The aftermarket already have a heavy duty gearset made to address the transmission problems which cost a lot less than replacing the entire tranny. Boost Logic is well on there way to make 1000whp on one already. The problem is that when the ecu sees over 800 lb ft of torque it will not shift out of first gear so they have to wait for the revs to drop. But the car is impressive non the less, the car has been out for 2 years and it already is running 9's in the 1/4 mile.

No one is saying the GTR isnt fast.. but thats all its got going for it. You buy a sports car for more than just raw power... don't you? If not, we would all be driving radicals modified with 1000hp. The GTR has design flaws, and feels synthetic from behind the wheel. Go buy one! Like the post above MANY people have returned or sold the car. People are finding out that a million hp sounds good on paper but really isnt all that counts.

I am someone who wanted to buy a GTR and did a lot of research on the topic. I was looking for reasons to buy the car, and the only reason I could come up with were:

1. No new NSX on market
2. Its fast
3. it has a back seat

now for the list of problems:

1. reliability issues
2. high cost of ownership
3. lack of driving feel
4. voided warranty for using the car
5. resale value is horrible
6. Looks (my opinion not fact)

I shouldnt have to buy a new gearset on an 85K new car. No matter what the cost. If Nissan fixed their own gearset and took out the verbage on the ways to lose your warranty then I might be back on the GTR's side. I still think its ugly and lacks feel but it is fast.

I really want to want this car, I just cant like it in its present state

Cost of ownership is very high but it is coming down as more people are doing the services themselves. I wouldn't say that a lot of people who owns the GTR are selling it fast, there are quit a few who loves the overall car. People who want to go fast will pick this car, people who wants more challenge to drive their cars fast will not like it. Just like the NSX, the car is not for everybody. However I would not like to own one in the future, but damn that thing is fast.

my neighbor just purchased one, and im so sick of his boasting.

but I do envy the GTR's power output as it can walk almost any car out there.....
rick

....almost any car. ;)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkBibyVl8WU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkBibyVl8WU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

(ok, really I was just looking for an excuse to post this)

my neighbor just purchased one, and im so sick of his boasting.

I hope for his sake he doesnt have a problem.. unless you secretively would like to see him suffer a little LOL.

I would definately say a lot of people dont like it and dump the car. More than any other car I have ever heard of. Of the two people I have talked to, 2 for 2 said its not as great as they thought it would be. Look at resale value... it is HORRIBLE

Jman

I hope for his sake he doesnt have a problem.. unless you secretively would like to see him suffer a little LOL.

I would definately say a lot of people dont like it and dump the car. More than any other car I have ever heard of. Of the two people I have talked to, 2 for 2 said its not as great as they thought it would be. Look at resale value... it is HORRIBLE

Jman

Well the resale is horrible because nissan improved the car in its 2nd year with software updates, which helps solved the initial reliability problem. So if your looking at 2009's of course its going to take a huge hit because nobody really knows if the car had been launched or not, or how much life is left in the original transmission. The updated launch control no longer neutral drops the tranny which greatly increases the life span of the tranny. Also most cars takes a huge hit in resale after its first year, almost no car is immune to that. Just look at how big of a hit most porsches are suffering and ferraris, or any other high performance car.

Well the resale is horrible because nissan improved the car in its 2nd year with software updates, which helps solved the initial reliability problem. So if your looking at 2009's of course its going to take a huge hit because nobody really knows if the car had been launched or not, or how much life is left in the original transmission. The updated launch control no longer neutral drops the tranny which greatly increases the life span of the tranny. Also most cars takes a huge hit in resale after its first year, almost no car is immune to that. Just look at how big of a hit most porsches are suffering and ferraris, or any other high performance car.

I have provided proof of how the 2011 GTR is still unsuable without voiding its warranty. Show me a porshe, ferrari, lambo etc etc that has such a statment. I am not even "out on a limb" by saying that their limits on use of their car shows their lack of faith in their own fixes.

Mark my words, the GTR will continue to be an absolute beast at the drag strip, but private ownership by the general public is going to proove to be troublesome. I cant possibly put my hard earned money into something that the manufacturer has no faith in, sorry.

NISSAN - if you are listening... its clear your sales numbers have dropped very significantly. If you wish to sell your cars to more people (myself included), remove the limitations listed on page 10 of your owners manual, back your products or we will buy other cars.

Well I definitely cannot argue with how Nissan is voiding their warranty.

I had a Porsche once. Had a women I thought I loved once as well. Upgraded to an NSX (mostly stock 91) and a younger women. Both are much hotter and easier to maintain than the previous models. Life is about the choices you make though, good luck with yours!

I think its pretty cool. 525k price tag is a little out of my league at the moment. I am very impressed. And its an E85 fueled car!!!!

....almost any car. ;)

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/mkBibyVl8WU&hl=en_US&fs=1& allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

(ok, really I was just looking for an excuse to post this)

i had a porsche once. Had a women i thought i loved once as well. Upgraded to an nsx (mostly stock 91) and a younger women. Both are much hotter and easier to maintain than the previous models. Life is about the choices you make though, good luck with yours!

rofl ---^

I have provided proof of how the 2011 GTR is still unsuable without voiding its warranty. Show me a porshe, ferrari, lambo etc etc that has such a statment. I am not even "out on a limb" by saying that their limits on use of their car shows their lack of faith in their own fixes.

Mark my words, the GTR will continue to be an absolute beast at the drag strip, but private ownership by the general public is going to proove to be troublesome. I cant possibly put my hard earned money into something that the manufacturer has no faith in, sorry.

NISSAN - if you are listening... its clear your sales numbers have dropped very significantly. If you wish to sell your cars to more people (myself included), remove the limitations listed on page 10 of your owners manual, back your products or we will buy other cars.

Well Jason and S14tat, this is kind of a thread within a thread and I've enjoyed finding out why I will never own another Nissan - unless they really do something to improve their products - not that I would ever invest my money in the GT-R. I would rather have a 911 ten times over than a GT-R - you see as Jason pointed out in one of his posts on this subject - you buy a car for more than just raw acceleration - which voids the warranty (amazing)- I surely do. Looks is not a small part of the equation. I've looked at the GT-R and it's clunky looking outside and especially inside - that is the worst interior on a high priced car. I'm sorry but someone would have to kick me hard if I bought a GT-R over a new 911 S - read NO COMPARISON - not for me. I like beauty inside and out when I'm buying a sports car. The Nissan has neither - not one thing in their Nissan line is good looking - their Infinity line up is a little different - the G37 is nice looking - that's the only one imho.

Thanks for the education Jason. I believe you won that debate! Fun stuff and this is why I like Prime - just another example! :wink:

BTW - where is the knucklehead that started this thread anyway - did he get tired of the verbal "ass whoopin" he was getting? Must be driving that 964 - good luck to him.

1 year nothing my shit runs like a beast own 3 of them gonna buy more

hmmm translation: time means nothing to me,I have a strong colon,I own 3 shits,I like them so much I'm buying more fecal material.:eek:

hmmm translation: time means nothing to me,I have a strong colon,I own 3 shits,I like them so much I'm buying more fecal material.:eek:

You are killing me with this "translation" - LOLLOLOLOLOL.....you are one funny dude Doc. I sure would like to meet you one day brother!

I dunno, I was thinking more along the lines of "for one year I have been afflicted with violent IBS and thusly require three separate lavatories, although additional water closets may be in order".

It's all in the conjugation though...;)

Last edited:
Well Jason and S14tat, this is kind of a thread within a thread and I've enjoyed finding out why I will never own another Nissan - unless they really do something to improve their products - not that I would ever invest my money in the GT-R. I would rather have a 911 ten times over than a GT-R - you see as Jason pointed out in one of his posts on this subject - you buy a car for more than just raw acceleration - which voids the warranty (amazing)- I surely do. Looks is not a small part of the equation. I've looked at the GT-R and it's clunky looking outside and especially inside - that is the worst interior on a high priced car. I'm sorry but someone would have to kick me hard if I bought a GT-R over a new 911 S - read NO COMPARISON - not for me. I like beauty inside and out when I'm buying a sports car. The Nissan has neither - not one thing in their Nissan line is good looking - their Infinity line up is a little different - the G37 is nice looking - that's the only one imho.

Thanks for the education Jason. I believe you won that debate! Fun stuff and this is why I like Prime - just another example! :wink:

BTW - where is the knucklehead that started this thread anyway - did he get tired of the verbal "ass whoopin" he was getting? Must be driving that 964 - good luck to him.

We can make it an official call.

Troll in hiding:

Type-------------dwarf

Where abouts-----small cave

Future posts------needs to become a giant first

Troll Fans------------- tbromley /Drigg (want to know when hiding troll will resurface)

Moderator and interested observer--------------------Yojack:cool:

Jinos.......used common sense dude; if you can't afford maintenance on a car like the NSX, don't even bother bro!! It's like buying a house and find out later that you can't afford the taxes.

souped up like the accord:rolleyes:....LoL, that will raised the blood pressure on quite a few people.

Last edited:
Wow, lot's of GT-R hate going on here :rolleyes:

Thought that this was an ownership cost comparision between the NSX and a P-car, LOL..

Anyways life is too short, buy what you like and what you can afford not what other people tell you that you should like or drive or should want.

Back