WOW NSX is more $$$ than a Porsche!!

Woah.. I wasn't trying to offend any nsx owners I just wanted to find out your experiences. It's just my porsche has been good to me but always had love for nsx's. I find it interesting how u guys treat people in this forum and get easily offended. This is ridiculous.. Sorry if I hurt ur ego Dtrigg. ;) Guess you're still in middle school also...

<table class="tborder" style="border-top-width: 0px;" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr title="Post 1296975" valign="top"><tr title="Post 1296975" valign="top"><td class="alt1"> Re: WOW NSX is more $$$ than a Porsche!!
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> I don't think you would be too happy with us. Please keep your Beetle,

P.S. Good luck on your middle high school exams. And, we think your supposed girlfriend has better taste in cars than guys. </td></tr></tr></tbody></table>

porsche_valve_stem_cap.jpg

Woah.. I wasn't trying to offend any nsx owners I just wanted to find out your experiences. It's just my porsche has been good to me but always had love for nsx's. I find it interesting how u guys treat people in this forum and get easily offended. This is ridiculous.. Sorry if I hurt ur ego Dtrigg. ;) Guess you're still in middle school also...

<table class="tborder" style="border-top-width: 0px;" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr title="Post 1296975" valign="top"><tr title="Post 1296975" valign="top"><td class="alt1"> Re: WOW NSX is more $$$ than a Porsche!!
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> I don't think you would be too happy with us. Please keep your Beetle,

P.S. Good luck on your middle high school exams. And, we think your supposed girlfriend has better taste in cars than guys. </td></tr></tr></tbody></table>

Dtrigg is just treating you like a troll. The NSX is definitely not for everyone, but most of us who owns it all love it and will own another one in a heart beat. People who owns NSX's knows exactly what they want. I love my car, and I hate Hondas and anyone who knows anything about cars will at least give the nsx some respect even though it is a little bit under powered in todays world.

Dtrigg actually just dates girls in middle school.

Lucky bastard.

Good information is here if you know how to ask. If you've been around teh interwebz long enough you should know what a troll looks like, and if you wish to not be treated as such, it's best to avoid coming off as one. Hopefully not your intention...but I'm just sayin'.

Besides, you got at least half a dozen serious replies before getting called out. On most import forums the first reply is usually a toss-up between "tits or gtfo", or "FAIL", followed by drivel :tongue:

From an "actually responding to your concerns" standpoint: yes, the maintenance is expensive. In part because the parts are expensive. The parts cost for the twin plate clutches on the early cars, for instance comprises probably 70% of that service quote. The thing about Porsches is that as "special" as they are, there were still eleventy-billion of them produced, so parts are pretty common. There were a TOTAL of ~7500 NSXs sold in the US, that's what? about 1 year of 911 production? Simple economies of scale.

The good news is even though the parts are not cheap, the maintenance intervals are fairly long for major things like timing belts and clutches. If you find a well documented car, you shouldn't get raped on maintenance...let me repeat WELL DOCUMENTED...this is important...ask me how I know :cool:

Last edited:
High maintenance costs compared to a 964?

You need to do some more research.

:eek::eek::eek:

I love that bolt cover, I was gonna put them on every visible bolt head. LOL

You would be wrong...

I hate my NSX. It has cost me sooooo much money. The cost to replace a timing belt, water pump, clutch, or anything else is outrageous. In addition, the cost of aftermarket parts is astronomical because of the rarity of this damn thing. Just think about how much I have spent adding the following list of mods...

Comptech Supercharger;
Comptech Headers;
ARK DT-S Exhaust;
Dali Polished Billet Coolant Tank.
JRZ Dampers;
Eibach Springs (5.4Kg/6.3Kg);
NSX-R Front Sway Bar;
Thom's Camber Correction Kit.
Volk Racing CE28N (chromed): 17x8.0+38 hipad/18x9.5+40;
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Tires (215/40-17 & 265/35-18).
NSX-R Chassis Bars;
NSX-R replica CF Rear Spoiler with LED Brake Light;
NSX-R Replica Diffuser;
CF Rear Window Garnish;
NSX-R Emblems;
SOS Stealth License Plate Holder (modified for 2002+);
Delete Engine Cover (25lbs);
Delete Spare Tire (33lbs).
NSX-R Seats (black) with OEM Power Rails;
CF Gauge Pod;
Autometer Gauges;
NSX-R Shift Knob & Boot;
Dave's Short Shift Kit;
SOS Short Shift Stalk;
MOMO Team 280mm Steering Wheel;
NSX-R Horn Button & Trim Ring;
NR-G Quick Release;
Sparco Dual Buttons (Cruise Control).
Odyssey 680 Battery (19lbs); Billet Battery Holder.

If I would have known I was going to spend this much money, I would have bought an Accord and added an NSX body kit. I could have saved a lot of money and ended up with the same thing.

:biggrin:

With all due respect, all these extras you list are what some would call "nice to have". Granted the TB/WP every 7-10 years is an expense unless you view it on an annual basis. The thing about the OP is that I think he is on a tight budget, entry level budget. And, deferred maintenance can be costly. But as others have set, if well maintained, OP should be in good shape. Personally, yes I said personally, the NSX beats the Porsche by a mile in most every sense. tbromley can provide perspective on that. I't suggest to the OP, be cautious on car selection as it can be costly to get a solid baseline.

You can get a rebuilt motor with a core exchange for a 2.7-3.0 engines ina 911.

That's because they need their motors replaced after every 30,000 miles. Economies of scale!

Never met anyone who had to rebuilt an NSX motor that didn't do it for performance reasons.

Ask any Boxster owner, notorious for failed blocks, how "cheap" their rebuilt was.

Thanks for the response guys. I don't know what a troll is but I was doing alot of research on nsx's because I'm on the verge of getting one. I've had 4 porsches and wanted something new and affordable. That is why I looked into the nsx. I loved the time and effort put in to develop this car. Especially the concept coming from and jet fighter! :) I agree that certain porsches are POS and that is why I bought reliable models that is easy to work on. I'm more of a DIY guy so I wanted to get info if this is possible on a nsx. That's all. Secondly the porsche fam (forum) have served me well with great help and kindness. Made quite a few friends also. I got a refferral from them to this site hoping I would get the same atmosphere but it seems people are quite agressive or sensitive here. Was hoping to get some good advice and meet some chill ass folks. The whole point of getting these types of cars (porsches, nsx, bmw,etc) is to meet people with the same passion and enjoy each others company and learn. But if this is the attitude of certain people on this board then you represent the board wrong way. I'm a hardcore sportscar fanatic having owned e30 m3s, rx7, porsches, 67 mustang etc. It's something I'm passionate about and want hoping to learn and educate myself on NSX's. That's all... I was really looking forward in purchasing one as I have one (93 black nsx) being PPI'd from one of your references. But sharing this with certain people on this board sort of takes the passion away. Sorry if I offended anyone which I wasn't trying to do but thanks to all who have been kind and pleasant. :)

Last edited:
don't listen to nsx1 he is crazy!

i kept telling him to keep his nsx 100% stock like mine. He would not listen!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response guys. I don't know what a troll is but I was doing alot of research on nsx's because I'm on the verge of getting one. I've had 4 porsches and wanted something new and affordable. That is why I looked into the nsx. I loved the time and effort put in to develop this car. Especially the concept coming from and jet fighter! :) I agree that certain porsches are POS and that is why I bought reliable models that is easy to work on. I'm more of a DIY guy so I wanted to get info if this is possible on a nsx. That's all. Secondly the porsche fam (forum) have served me well with great help and kindness. Made quite a few friends also. I got a refferral from them to this site hoping I would get the same atmosphere but it seems people are quite agressive or sensitive here. Was hoping to get some good advice and meet some chill ass folks. The whole point of getting these types of cars (porsches, nsx, bmw,etc) is to meet people with the same passion and enjoy each others company and learn. But if this is the attitude of certain people on this board then you represent the board wrong way. I'm a hardcore sportscar fanatic having owned e30 m3s, rx7, porsches, 67 mustang etc. It's something I'm passionate about and want hoping to learn and educate myself on NSX's. That's all... I was really looking forward in purchasing one as I have one (93 black nsx) being PPI'd from one of your references. But sharing this with certain people on this board sort of takes the passion away. Sorry if I offended anyone which I wasn't trying to do but thanks to all who have been kind and pleasant. :)

Jinos, I think you will find this site very informative to the NSX, passionate and receptive to your thoughts/comments and advise. Folks on this site can be opinionated and frank, something I appreciate, others maybe not. Your a rookie and #1 advice is to use the "search" feature and get to know the car and feedback given. My view is that this is a primo site and worth every membership donation.

p.s. I'm one of those "chill ass folks".

Really? You begin your posting about how expensive it is to maintain a NSX versus your Porchse but you know nothing about it or a NSX. Your registration and specifically "About You" is blank. Your grammar and spelling is extremely questionable....

What Porchse forums are you on? What is your screen name on those boards? Very simple for us to go to those boards and check you out.

You seem like a 10th grade troll to me. Good luck getting your drivers license. Hope you get that Ford Focus you deserve.

Oh, by the way, I don't see any '93 black NSX for sale on this board. Where is it?

If you prove me wrong, I'll be the first to appologise.

Jack...you;re correct. Don't you love it.

Last edited:

Im a pretty laid back guy. You really didnt get me all wound up. I still think your post was in bad taste though. What did you expect from a posting that you think we are all nuts for buying this car? If you did your research on here and dont want the car don't buy one. Trying to make people feel bad for their decision (which by the way just wont happen because this car is amazing), is going to put people into a defensive position. Kinda like when a guy tells you your car is slow, and then drives away in a yogo. I mean seriously, you reiterated that an NSX is basically an accord... HAHAHA... "them's fightin words" :)

Buy one, dont buy one... I really dont care. Im not a car salesman. I do appericate different opinions and view points. Maybe if you simply took out the BS and just asked a legit question you would get a better response. I think there is a valid reason to discuss your concerns and views though. Starting out with talking down = bad form

my .02

Jman

If you ever drove one you would sell that Porsche in a heartbeat. :smile:

If you buy smart you could own one for several years before you have to drop a dime.

That's all... I was really looking forward in purchasing one as I have one (93 black nsx) being PPI'd from one of your references. But sharing this with certain people on this board sort of takes the passion away. Sorry if I offended anyone which I wasn't trying to do but thanks to all who have been kind and pleasant. :)

Lol... if you base your purchases on forum attitudes then you have issues. I find it hard to believe that you've owned so many cars, been active on other forums and don't know what a troll is... because you're hitting about 9 out of 10 aspects of one.

Replacing a clutch (every 80k miles perhaps?) or a timing belt (every 7 years or 90k miles??) is not expensive maint when the rest of the car is bullet proof.

Take care and stay in school!

Wow, now here's a thread I can really sink my teeth into.....where have I been to miss this thread??? Geez, must be slipping. (as I crack my knuckles):biggrin:

Porsches - I've owned 3 (83 SC, 87 Turbo Look cabrio, 96 -993 coupe) and some of them are cheap to maintain - they really are - for example once an SC (78 to 83) is sorted it's a great car and the 3.2 Carrera is even better still. They all have issues though - everyone of them. The 964 -mmmmm- don't know which model you have but no one runs around replacing engines in the 3.0 or 3.2 - all of them are rebuildable - untill you get to the water coolers - 996 that is - the 997 was better and not all have problems - just depends on if you feel lucky - I didn't. You don't rebuild the 996/997 you replace them for about 15k to 18k. Didn't like my odds even though there is only a 5 to 10% failure rate. I knew it would be me. :eek:

The 964 - I did a lot of research on them - if you have a late 93 or 94 - with the air tube add on to the dual distributer - you might actually have a good car and one that is fairly maintenance free. If you have an early one - well the issues with the 89 1/2 thru the 92 are certainly well documented in the Used 911 Story. I won't go into all of the ills of that car. By the way it has 250 hp and isn't as fast as the NSX....but that's not really the big issue. The biggest issue I had with the air coolers and I love 911s so don't get me wrong - they are really great cars - I wish I had tons of cash and in my dream garrage would be several 911s and the Carrera GT. But comparing a 964's reliability to an NSX is strange. You could have hit the purchase just right and if you hit the NSX purchase just right you'd have the same 3 year experience of low maintenance too!

There are trade offs but if there's a problem with the 964 - and there will be eventually - it will be a technical difficulty based on design - that you won't find in the NSX. Every model 911 has an "Achilles heel" - everyone - whether it's the CIS in the SC or the cam chain tensioners or the 915 sensitive tranny in the SC, the valve guide replacement in the 3.2 Carrera at around 100k to 125k or the dreaded carbon build up issue in the 993 or the cylinder head seal issue in the 964 or the dual mass flywheel issue or the dual distributer belt issue in the 964 or the RMS issue with the 996 and lay shaft bearing issue....whew.... it goes on - but still not all have the problems - that's damn nice - but with the NSX there just aren't any technical design problems that cause expensive repairs not on any of them. So really there are no "Achilles heels" with the NSX. That has got to be comforting - I know it was for me. Geeeeeezzz was it ever. Wouldn't you just love to buy a 996 C4S and have tire wear issues front and back - or worse still a blown engine due to a lay shaft bearing failure.....little 15 to 18k wake up call.

I could go on - but I've gone on way too long. In closing ...lol, what you have to understand about the NSX is what the maintenance issues are. How to buy one "right" - what to look for and whether you do the maintenance becuase it was deffered - like I would almost bet you're racking up in the 964 (just a guess on my part) - which you factor into the price if you're smart or you buy one that has the maintenance done - nice but not always possible. Point is that you are right about one thing - in many ways the NSX is more expensive model year to model year because when 911s get old everyone knows that "Peter will have to be paid" eventually and no one really wants to get stuck with a 20k engine build and then how bout a 915 tranny build - all depending on model. No one wants a 993 or 964 engine build on their hands and anyone that's ever had one knows that! So many ride the "horse" till it's about to drop! So the purchase price is just a piece of the story isn't it!

The NSX is piece of mind - knowing that when the maintenance is up to speed that it will be virtually maintenance free other than fluid/filter changes for a long time. And you won't be watching the engine temp gauge when your stuck in traffic - YOU know what I mean there. You won't have to worry about taking your NSX on short hops either.

Pluses and minuses - Porshce has storage - more than the NSX - but the NSX is adequate as long as your not taking a cross country tour as a golfer with your companion golfer buddy. The only short coming I've found so far! The NSX doesn't depreciate as fast - for 2 reasons I believe - one is that they will run strong for 400k miles without an engine build and so there's no sense of buying the "hot" potatoe - the other is rarity - not as many of them. They aren't for everyone - you have to have money for repairs - you wouldn't be wise to buy any of these cars with LONG term ownership in mind with only the purchase price in hand.....hell no! Some don't understand that. Take mine for instance - I bought one that needed some maintenance items addressed - now they are addressed - and now I don't forsee any major maintenance issues necessary for many years. That's the beauty of the NSX - they are just regularly scheduled maintenance needs - not the chance of some heinous technical malfunction due to some problematice design reaching up and biting your ass!

So be aware, buy wisely, have enough funds to do what needs to be done and drive on with a big fat chesire cat grin on your face! It's an awesome performer and will stack up against any sports car in it's price range nicely. :wink:

End
Epistle 42 and counting....:biggrin:

PS: ya'll know that NSX1 was ribbing the thread with his "I hate the NSX" comment don't you - I mean even I got it......wow we are getting sensitive aren't we.....lol.

Last edited:
You gotta know we LIVE for responses to "trolls" ....lol.

I've been here a short time compared to many but this group is like my extended family - ok - so they are all good guys - you just struck the wrong note and didn't really know it. Kind of like walking along and standing on a yellow jackets nest - you find out really quickly how we come flying out of the nest - just don't worry so much about it. You don't know enough about these cars to do anything but ask questions - right.

You make an accusation like NSXs are more expensive....whatever and you'll get the excitement of the multitude of Prime on your case in an instant - not meaning to bomb you but surely to set you a little straight. We are really a super friendly, helpful bunch ...:wink: Aren't we guys....!

Quite frankly if you have to nickel dime over a few grand in maintenance then you probably should be owning a used P-car or NSX.....sheesh :confused:

Ever heard the phrase you gotta pay to play? do you go to cheap gas stations to save money too?

but with the NSX there just aren't any technical design problems that cause expensive repairs not on any of them. So really there are no "Achilles heels" with the NSX.

The only thing I might throw into that category would be the crank pulley/balancer failures. That's about the only thing that has the potential to just up and hose an engine. It's very easily prevented, but if you plan to track/autocross the car this can definitely qualify for an achilles heel. The percentage of failure has to be minuscule though.

cost more? think again.
I got my 2002 MB S430 and my 1991 nsx about the same time. in 2004
Both car now at 80K miles and excellent condition

Purchase price in 2004 excluding tax and license.
2002 S430 - 42000
1991 NSX -27000 w new TB WP and repaint.

KBB Private sale value in 2010
2002 S430 - 15000
1991 NSX -27000

Up front cost may be more but resale value will cost you more with a porsche, MB or most other car.

Im thinking Porsche may have similar depreciation to MB. Im pretty happy my NSX didnt really depreciate. if so not by much.

Yeah, of course we knew he NSX1 doesn't hate his car.. thats why 99% of the attention was directed to porche boy. LOL...

Anyone who puts all those mods on his car obviously loves it very very much. I was kinda snickering when I read people replying..

I would love to see his car up close, it must be beautiful

Jman

Wow, now here's a thread I can really sink my teeth into.....where have I been to miss this thread??? Geez, must be slipping. (as I crack my knuckles):biggrin:

Porsches - I've owned 3 (83 SC, 87 Turbo Look cabrio, 96 -993 coupe) and some of them are cheap to maintain - they really are - for example once an SC (78 to 83) is sorted it's a great car and the 3.2 Carrera is even better still. They all have issues though - everyone of them. The 964 -mmmmm- don't know which model you have but no one runs around replacing engines in the 3.0 or 3.2 - all of them are rebuildable - untill you get to the water coolers - 996 that is - the 997 was better and not all have problems - just depends on if you feel lucky - I didn't. You don't rebuild the 996/997 you replace them for about 15k to 18k. Didn't like my odds even though there is only a 5 to 10% failure rate. I knew it would be me. :eek:

The 964 - I did a lot of research on them - if you have a late 93 or 94 - with the air tube add on to the dual distributer - you might actually have a good car and one that is fairly maintenance free. If you have an early one - well the issues with the 89 1/2 thru the 92 are certainly well documented in the Used 911 Story. I won't go into all of the ills of that car. By the way it has 250 hp and isn't as fast as the NSX....but that's not really the big issue. The biggest issue I had with the air coolers and I love 911s so don't get me wrong - they are really great cars - I wish I had tons of cash and in my dream garrage would be several 911s and the Carrera GT. But comparing a 964's reliability to an NSX is strange. You could have hit the purchase just right and if you hit the NSX purchase just right you'd have the same 3 year experience of low maintenance too!

There are trade offs but if there's a problem with the 964 - and there will be eventually - it will be a technical difficulty based on design - that you won't find in the NSX. Every model 911 has an "Achilles heel" - everyone - whether it's the CIS in the SC or the cam chain tensioners or the 915 sensitive tranny in the SC, the valve guide replacement in the 3.2 Carrera at around 100k to 125k or the dreaded carbon build up issue in the 993 or the cylinder head seal issue in the 964 or the dual mass flywheel issue or the dual distributer belt issue in the 964 or the RMS issue with the 996 and lay shaft bearing issue....whew.... it goes on - but still not all have the problems - that's damn nice - but with the NSX there just aren't any technical design problems that cause expensive repairs not on any of them. So really there are no "Achilles heels" with the NSX. That has got to be comforting - I know it was for me. Geeeeeezzz was it ever. Wouldn't you just love to buy a 996 C4S and have tire wear issues front and back - or worse still a blown engine due to a lay shaft bearing failure.....little 15 to 18k wake up call.

I could go on - but I've gone on way too long. In closing ...lol, what you have to understand about the NSX is what the maintenance issues are. How to buy one "right" - what to look for and whether you do the maintenance becuase it was deffered - like I would almost bet you're racking up in the 964 (just a guess on my part) - which you factor into the price if you're smart or you buy one that has the maintenance done - nice but not always possible. Point is that you are right about one thing - in many ways the NSX is more expensive model year to model year because when 911s get old everyone knows that "Peter will have to be paid" eventually and no one really wants to get stuck with a 20k engine build and then how bout a 915 tranny build - all depending on model. No one wants a 993 or 964 engine build on their hands and anyone that's ever had one knows that! So many ride the "horse" till it's about to drop! So the purchase price is just a piece of the story isn't it!

The NSX is piece of mind - knowing that when the maintenance is up to speed that it will be virtually maintenance free other than fluid/filter changes for a long time. And you won't be watching the engine temp gauge when your stuck in traffic - YOU know what I mean there. You won't have to worry about taking your NSX on short hops either.

Pluses and minuses - Porshce has storage - more than the NSX - but the NSX is adequate as long as your not taking a cross country tour as a golfer with your companion golfer buddy. The only short coming I've found so far! The NSX doesn't depreciate as fast - for 2 reasons I believe - one is that they will run strong for 400k miles without an engine build and so there's no sense of buying the "hot" potatoe - the other is rarity - not as many of them. They aren't for everyone - you have to have money for repairs - you wouldn't be wise to buy any of these cars with LONG term ownership in mind with only the purchase price in hand.....hell no! Some don't understand that. Take mine for instance - I bought one that needed some maintenance items addressed - now they are addressed - and now I don't forsee any major maintenance issues necessary for many years. That's the beauty of the NSX - they are just regularly scheduled maintenance needs - not the chance of some heinous technical malfunction due to some problematice design reaching up and biting your ass!

So be aware, buy wisely, have enough funds to do what needs to be done and drive on with a big fat chesire cat grin on your face! It's an awesome performer and will stack up against any sports car in it's price range nicely. :wink:

End
Epistle 42 and counting....:biggrin:

PS: ya'll know that NSX1 was ribbing the thread with his "I hate the NSX" comment don't you - I mean even I got it......wow we are getting sensitive aren't we.....lol.

Not only would I like to see it but I'd like to ride in it Jason. You bet. I was laughing when I read Shawn's response to NSX1 - that was pretty funny - we love ya Shawn....no dis dude.

Back