Why take a NSX over a SupraTT?

My last car was a 2002 porsche 911 with 17 inch factory wheels in a totally stock set up. Prior to that I had a 96 and 99 911.Prior to that I had a 1994 Lotus esprit.I definitely do not feel I went down on the food chain with the NSX. The NSX is a great driving experience.I have driven 350z supra and rx7 and feel these cars are not in the same class.I am sure most would agree.Just my 2 cents.

RX7s had the big tach in the center first in previous generation(s).

Everyone else copied them. :tongue: :tongue:

That's something I wished the NSX did, was to have the Tach right in the middle.

Very true and don't get me wrong, the RX7's interior was by far my favorite of them all. I loved how the gauges were set up and how you were close to everything. Only thing I didn't like was the fit and finish of some of the interior parts. At only 25k miles, I had some peeling of some of the black interior parts. The Supra's interior was too plastic and the NSX was too 90's much like a 300ZX (probably due to both cars' earlier production).

I always thought the RX7's felt the sportiest.

Okay, first I would like to say that I may get burned (highly likely), but that's okay.
I saw this post and I felt compelled to give my opinion...
Having said that... I believe the Supra is nice to look at, but IT IS a giant turd, and a dyno queen. It is the Japanese version of a mustang... (all hype, no go..) I know they're in JGTC which discounts what i say, but a 500 hp Supra is seriously not that cool. That, and their powerbands look a rollercoaster ride...
Sorry to flame the Supra, it does have neat qualities, just not for me :)

Okay, first I would like to say that I may get burned (highly likely), but that's okay.
I saw this post and I felt compelled to give my opinion...
Having said that... I believe the Supra is nice to look at, but IT IS a giant turd, and a dyno queen. It is the Japanese version of a mustang... (all hype, no go..) I know they're in JGTC which discounts what i say, but a 500 hp Supra is seriously not that cool. That, and their powerbands look a rollercoaster ride...

I'm not sure I would say it's a turd...it's still a Toyota. I do agree it's basically a novelty car but "all hype and no go" doesn't make sense...it goes for sure. I think it does get too much credit for being able to go fast in a straight line but the fact is the car is able to put a lot of power to the pavement and is well built and a wonderfully cool platform for mods which I think is cool.

I don't think anyone would say it's on the same level as the NSX. It's not a track car firstly and not exotic.

Supra=Jellybean:biggrin: Just joking around. Some people say the NSX looks like a doorstop! The Supra is nice, BUT.. 1) isn't hand built by some of their finest engineers. 2) Isn't made from exotic matierals i.e: aluminuim 3) Lastly, wasn't developed by some of the worlds best drivers ( Senna, Rahal ). At the end of the day, I would rather have the sexy ass "doorstop." JM 2 cents.

Last edited:
Having said that... I believe the Supra is nice to look at, but IT IS a giant turd, and a dyno queen. It is the Japanese version of a mustang... (all hype, no go..) I know they're in JGTC which discounts what i say, but a 500 hp Supra is seriously not that cool.

"No go"? You're kidding right? Just go on youtube and type in Supra and you'll see they have plenty of go ;) Not just dyno queens....

I'm not sure I would say it's a turd...it's still a Toyota. I do agree it's basically a novelty car but "all hype and no go" doesn't make sense...it goes for sure. I think it does get too much credit for being able to go fast in a straight line but the fact is the car is able to put a lot of power to the pavement and is well built and a wonderfully cool platform for mods which I think is cool.

I don't think anyone would say it's on the same level as the NSX. It's not a track car firstly and not exotic.

You're right, it IS a Toyota...and the NSX is a Honda. Both brands are always on top of reliability charts so why is one worst than the other? :)

I think the Supra can also make a track car but doesn't get the publicity for it since it's power overshadows everything and makes the car more prevalent in straightline racing. Kinda like the NSX isn't known for drag racing but more known for road racing... Sure the NSX is a better track car but the Supra is not un-trackable.

After I finished the Panoz driving school, I've learned to appreciate both car's strengths and weaknesses and both cars are NOT the same but one lacks where the other makes up. I can't say I'd choose one over the other...

Last edited:
I don't recall anyone in the entire thread mentioning that the NSX has its own specific chassis and that the Supra shares its with the Lexus SC. That by itself precludes it from even being considered in the same league as unique, purpose-built machines like the NSX and a handful of other "real" sportscars. Motor Trend fabricated numbers aside (which are inconsistent with all other mags), apart from its modable engine and solid brakes, to me the car offers very little for the true enthusiast looking for a standout performer. Yes, I drove the TT long ago and was sorely disappointed given all the praise bestowed upon it. Sort of like the same disappointment one might get if they drove the current 350Z.

Just driving a car and owning one are two completely different things.

You can't judge a girl by just one date can you? Try living with her then you'll realize who she really is ;)

I see way too many people saying this car is better, that car is better when they only have experience with one of the cars compared. This goes for all boards...

Just driving a car and owning one are two completely different things.

You can't judge a girl by just one date can you? Try living with her then you'll realize who she really is ;)

I see way too many people saying this car is better, that car is better when they only have experience with one of the cars compared. This goes for all boards...
You are so right. It takes time to get to know the car. 1 test drive doesn't mean anything.

The first day I test drove the S2000, I thought it was a complete slow POS, I was shocked. Biggest disappointment ever since I always have admired the car and heard so much rave reviews. 3 days later, after I spent more time with the car and drove it in various speeds and got to know the car better. I had to buy one. Real life story.

That, and their powerbands look a rollercoaster ride...
Flaming a car is perfectly fine if you actually know what you are talking about.

You are probably a little bit misinformed or have no experience with these cars. The powerband can be linear with V8 like of lowend torque. Sadly a lot of Supra owners are also misinformed and only want maximum bragging rights with big #s and lose the driveability. There are some Supra owners that tailor the mods for maximum power under the curve. 350rwtq at just 3k RPM is no joke.

Sept%2016th%20Dyno-2.jpg

Ok, I stand corrected as to the power and speed. I guess I'd have to drive a supra (modified) to understand... The turd comment was more towards weight, brakes etc. The dyno queen part, well I think that's what i was talking about with drivability. And I agree, the aftermarket support is great for Supras. Thanks for the input, it never hurts to learn. :)

Ok, I stand corrected as to the power and speed. I guess I'd have to drive a supra (modified) to understand... The turd comment was more towards weight, brakes etc. The dyno queen part, well I think that's what i was talking about with drivability. And I agree, the aftermarket support is great for Supras. Thanks for the input, it never hurts to learn. :)

Not to beat a dead horse but yes, you would need to drive not just one but several modded Supras to really see what it's all about. Stock, the Supra's powerband is very linear. When you have a blank slate like the Supra you can mod it to basically give you whatever you want.

One of the cool parts about a Supra is that you can get 750 hp from it and still daily drive it. It's still very driveable.

Vendetta said:
You're right, it IS a Toyota...and the NSX is a Honda. Both brands are always on top of reliability charts so why is one worst than the other?

I think the Supra can also make a track car but doesn't get the publicity for it since it's power overshadows everything and makes the car more prevalent in straightline racing. Kinda like the NSX isn't known for drag racing but more known for road racing... Sure the NSX is a better track car but the Supra is not un-trackable.

After I finished the Panoz driving school, I've learned to appreciate both car's strengths and weaknesses and both cars are NOT the same but one lacks where the other makes up. I can't say I'd choose one over the other...

I think we basically agree. I'm a big Supra fan and have owned several including a 93 MKIV w/ Greddy T78 making 500whp. I loved the power--still do. While the NSX lacks power I would still consider it the "better" car. I suppose "better" is entirely subjective but the NSX just has so many things the Supra doesn't while the Supra only has two--power potential (since an NA2 NSX is faster than a stock MKIV) and back seats.

Any car can be made to be a track car but I'm really talking about stock vs stock for the most part. If you put as much money into an NSX suspension as you would a Supra suspension you'd need well over 200hp more to match the NSX on the track. Getting the Supra to be fast on a track is an uphill battle while the NSX is level ground.

I think this is a good discussion of what the differences of the cars really are. Two very special, very different cars from the same era.

I would love to own another MKIV as a compliment to the NSX but I don't even think about it when I drive my NSX--it gives me everything I need.

originally i had my heart set on the supra, luckily i was talked out of it by my family, the supra only has better power. My dad had a few of them, we loved the car, but bone stock, the supra would need another 15k to make it look good, wheels and a body kid a must...unlike an nsx thats already sexy and exotic stock

originally i had my heart set on the supra, luckily i was talked out of it by my family, the supra only has better power. My dad had a few of them, we loved the car, but bone stock, the supra would need another 15k to make it look good, wheels and a body kid a must...unlike an nsx thats already sexy and exotic stock
It dosn't cost a whole lot to get a supra to lay down some big numbers. Single turbo, upgraded I/c, upgraded fuel system, ems and you're about there.

I hate 90% of the supra body kits out there. personally, id just put a little lower lip on the factory bumper, the car looks good as is (so does an NSX, and I wouldn't do anything more than add a lip off of it's factory bumper too).

So, both cars look good. Put 20K into turboing a NSX and you have a suparcar able to lay down power #s to contend w/supras in a straight line, and you have the handling and most importantly the feel/feedback of the nsx.

20K into the supra would probably go to suspension/chassis to stiffen it up (not necessary in NSX), but no amt of 'reasonable' money can help the feel/feedback of a supra's spongy pedals, wheel, and shifter.

20K is a ton of money, but it'd result in 2 extremely fast (and similar speed wise) cars, now niether car is at a disadvantage in the performance category and it would come down to subjective looks and unquestionable feel/build quality of each.

I'm sure a lot of supra owners will chime in and say with 20K you could...
-Lets hear it!

I'm sure a lot of supra owners will chime in and say with 20K you could...
-Lets hear it!

I took my Supra from bone stock to the power level in my sig for well under $10Gs. $2000 fuel system, $3000 single turbo conversion & FMIC, $2000 AEM & tuning, + misc bits. That's over 700 reliable crank HP, daily drivable. Even old school big blocks would have a hard time making that much power for that little money.

As for speed, there is a Supra list of the fastest 1/4 mile times. Car #100 on that list clocks in at about a 10.85 seconds. I'd be surprised if there were a half dozen 10 second NSXs on the planet. Again, two very different cars.

I'm sure lots of Supra owners graduated on to the NSX as an entry level exotic. But I'd be surprised if a single one of them did it because the NSX was faster (in a straight line, or around a track). There aren't really any other next-set-up choices if you love Japanese automobiles.

Sorry, I don't see the FD as step up :biggrin:

I took my Supra from bone stock to the power level in my sig for well under $10Gs. $2000 fuel system, $3000 single turbo conversion & FMIC, $2000 AEM & tuning, + misc bits. That's over 700 reliable crank HP, daily drivable. Even old school big blocks would have a hard time making that much power for that little money.
Of course, that's why they are so popular and just badass/stout cars. But like I said, the other $10k is going to need to go into the suspension to catch back up to a built NSX...

As for speed, there is a Supra list of the fastest 1/4 mile times. Car #100 on that list clocks in at about a 10.85 seconds.
For sure, to make that kind of HP for that low of money, especially on a stock engine, of course you will see a lot of good times at the drag strip!

I'd be surprised if there were a half dozen 10 second NSXs on the planet. Again, two very different cars.
I know of a shop in vegas who is working on that right now :wink:
-pick up this month's issue of DSport

Well, I have had two tt mkivs. They were both 95 models. The first was just bpu+ which put down about 480whp. It had 125k miles on it, but ran like new with no leaks. I sold it because I was offered too much to turn down. The second was a silver targa with only 70k miles. I did the hks t04r turbo upgrade with some 720cc injectors, aem standalone, trust 4 core intercooler, blitz oil cooler, couple of hks ssq bovs, and a ton of other stuff. I had about 50k in it. It dynoed at 703rwhp and 652ft/tq. I decided to build a 1997 s14, so I put it up for sale for 50k and had a lot of interest. Well, a few weeks later, no sale and I started to drive it some more. I started having a grounding issue and it wouldnt hold rpms. It would just go dead after a bit. I bought a ground kit from apexi and it seemed to have fixed the problem. I told a guy to test drive it while I was in the parts house working. 15 minutes later, I recieved a phone call. He was on the side of the road needing a tow. I said "wow, what happened." He said well...........I think I over revved it.......I was upset obviously. To make a long story short, he did over rev it and blew the motor up. I ended up selling it at an auction for 21k. It still makes me sad to think about it. I honestly like my s14 a lot better than my supras. There is no comparing either of them to my NSX though. NSX is a much better car all around.

Back