what did you drive in high school

1972 Mustang coupe. 302, automatic on the floor, no AC, power steering, non-power drum brakes, manual windows* and locks. Just like this beauty, only blue...

Although it was plain jane, it had a 302 and automatic and ran great. My Dad wanted me to get a 1971 Plymouth Duster in a very pale yellow, 225 slant six with the automatic on the column. My wicked stepmother had a 1974 Ford Maverick with a 200 straight six, one barrel carb and automatic on the column. It was so slow it wouldn't get out of its own way. That one turned me off on six-cylinder american cars for life, although I later (much later) learned that the 225 slant six was a great engine. Still, it was a Chrysler. I dug in my heels and refused to get the Duster, which made my dad mad. So a couple of months later he took me to look at the Mustang. It had been traded in for a new Datsun. Since it had the 302 and automatic on the floor, I figured I better take it or I might end up with nothing. It opened my eyes to how great Mustangs were. I have driven several Mustangs over the years since, and my sixteen-year-old daughter now has my 1995 Mustang GT convertible that I bought new.

*When my daughter was four, I had an econobox rental car while my car was being worked on. She pointed at the window crank for the manual windows. "Daddy, what's this?" "Uh, it's for rolling the windows up and down." "How does it work?" "Well, you hold onto the knob and turn it one way for the window to go up and the other way for it to go down." So she tried it. "Wow, that is really neat!" she declared. When I thought about it, it made sense. She had never seen car windows like that, so it was neat to her.

Attachments

• 1972-Ford-Mustang.jpg
    1972-Ford-Mustang.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Got a hand me down green Toyota Camry 1996....fixed that up and remember kids making fun of me...so after I graduated I saved a enough money for a 2000 Integra Type-R New...turbo charged that...and got the last laugh.

No Jeff, I did not say the GLC was not cool... I said YOU were not cool. Please read what I wrote carefully :biggrin:

Is that what it seriously stood for? Great Little Car? LOL.... marketing genius... Now I know why Ford owns them.

Turbo, that hurt :tongue: now I'm just going to sulk around all day thinking how different my life WOULD have been if I had a COOL car :redface:

I'm tellin MOM.......................Hahahaaaaa

NO WAY :eek: ....I drove a 93 Quest! The "Shudda Mudda" on account of the poor alignment issues and suspension. :biggrin:

This vehicle was totalled 3 TIMES before I acquired it in TOTALLED form. Spent the month before my 16th birthday rebuilding the front radiator mount, radiator and all the lighting pieces. Got my license, was driving her a week later. Hasn't been in a wreck since ( knock on wood ). Still going strong at 228k miles :biggrin: . I was mad then about my parents not helping me out to get a car, but I suppose I made due with what I had.

It mostly sits around while I drive my blue 76 Datsun 280Z I bought for $1900. Now THAT car is fun.

Looking for NSX purchase sometime this year ( New Years Resolution ).

I'm 20 years old.

drove a 92 nissan quest minivan dubbed the "FUN BUS" by my friends... worked most of my senior year, and put a down on the new 99 CIVIC SI's at the time...

and that's when i got infected by the MOD virus that still is in me today... :wink:

HAHA to clarify, I left high school at 17 yrs old....NOT 20!!!

I learned from the earlier posts. :biggrin:

1983 Nissan Sentra Wagon, red with 3 speed automatic. Top speed of 75. That's probably why I haven't own a Nissan since that era.

Second car was a 1987 Integra LS. Absolutely loved the car.

Third car was a 1989 Prelude Si, Yellow. Probably the best car I have ever driven until my 2003 NSX. Fun, quick, sleek, and good looking.

Hey the Z gets 130 easily! :cool:

Even the 93 Quest has seen 110!

I'm not proud of it haha...:tongue:

I was mad then about my parents not helping me out to get a car, but I suppose I made due with what I had. .

You will thank them later in life, trust me.

It mostly sits around while I drive my blue 76 Datsun 280Z I bought for $1900. Now THAT car is fun.

The very first car I had was a 72 240z that a barn had fallen in on. I fixed it up to look pretty good but I never got it on the road as I was only 14 years old when I bought, fixed and sold it.

In HS, my friend bought two 240Z's for about $1000. We pieced them together to make one that ran. Now that was a great car. At least compared to the POS I had to drive for a little while:

volvo.jpg

You will thank them later in life, trust me.

The very first car I had was a 72 240z that a barn had fallen in on. I fixed it up to look pretty good but I never got it on the road as I was only 14 years old when I bought, fixed and sold it.

Oh I do. I look around at all the kids I knew from high school and I'm glad I had the parents I did to tell me NO when I wanted that pretty white 300ZX my friend's neighbor had.

Haha if you have any more 240Z barn finds, let me know. I'm eyeing a 70 240Z project down near Atlanta. Do I need two Z car projects? :tongue:

I need an NSX ( without PROJECT attached ).

Oh I do. I look around at all the kids I knew from high school and I'm glad I had the parents I did to tell me NO when I wanted that pretty white 300ZX my friend's neighbor had.

Haha if you have any more 240Z barn finds, let me know. I'm eyeing a 70 240Z project down near Atlanta. Do I need two Z car projects? :tongue:

I need an NSX ( without PROJECT attached ).

My mothers boyfriend has the 300ZX anniversary addition that has been in his barn for many years. It has extremely low miles on it. It is not for sale at this time.

I have owned several of the 240/260/280 cars.

Datsun 1200, Mercury Montego, and occasionally mom's Olds Vista Cruiser. I actually enjoyed the Datsun the most. Especially when the muffler fell off and it instantly got faster (just louder actually). :rolleyes:

5552869cam.JPG

Started off as a lima bean green 6 cyl with a 2 sp pwr glide. Two years later it was a black and red 427 4 sp with 3.73 posi. Puts out 475HP and 500 ft-lbs. Still have it.

Not sure of your age. Don't ever sell the car. I wish I still had my highschool car 20 years later.

School bus every day. For extra-curriculars and such needing to drive I had a choice between Mom's '75 Dodge Dart "Sport" with a 225 slant six auto, green with a white vinyl top or Dad's '72 Chevy shortbed pickup, 250 cu. in. 6 and 3 on the tree running snow tires on the back year round. No A/C in either one.

Not a lot of speeding around in high school for me.

I had 2 cars during High school-

1st car was a Baby Shit Brown 1979 Firebird (think Rockford Files car with no clearcoat left) My Mom and I used to call it "the Chicken". We got it for $900 and i drove it for about a year until the Pontiac 301 ate it in the dead of winter leaving myself and a few friends to trek home in the middle of a snow squall.
A good question to ask would be- Why were we out driving?
Answer: because we were stupid 17yr olds

2nd car was a 1986 Ford Tempo Coupe- 4cyl, 5 speed. The drivers seat was broken so I always had a sort of "gangster lean" as I was driving. It wasn't uncomfortable until I drove it to Florida my senior year- 16 hours of bad posture add up, even for an 18 yr old.
I had some really sweet directional hub caps from walmart, white letter coopers, and a bitchin pioneer tape deck.
The car was actually pretty good for a $1500 investment, and I took good care of it.

Shortly after graduation I got a used 88 Honda Accord LXi Coupe (5-speed). With the exception of my Lexus, I have been all Honda ever since.

Philip

Man, you guys pimped some serious POS iron!! haha

BTW, I lost my road warrior virginity to a 10 year old Mercury Topaz (Ford Tempo). Not only that, but it only had 20k miles on the clock because it was -- no lie -- my grandmother's car in Baby Blue.

I took it offroading as much as possible.

Then I picked up my life-savings-worth-dreamcar, a Honda Prelude Si (very used). And got laid like the dickens my senior year. haha

<great thread BTW>

Lets see, 1962 Rambler w/ fully reclining bench seats!
1965 Ford Falcon 3 on the tree
1965 Crysler Newport party crusier
1973 Gremlin X 232 six cyl. purple w/gold stripes
1973 Gremlin 304 V8 - a little more fun
1971 Javlin AMX 4 spd.
1980 Civic Webber/header/cam/spoiler
1984 Colt Turbo very hot car for '84
1985 CRX Si Jackson Racing equiped
1888 CRX Si
1991 CRX Si
1991 GMC Syclone-now we're talking
1998 Integra GSR-goodies of course
1991 NSX-my Dream Car attained
2004 Accord V6 6spd.
You can see where I got Honda in my blood.:biggrin:

Lets see, 1962 Rambler w/ fully reclining bench seats!
1965 Ford Falcon 3 on the tree
1965 Crysler Newport party crusier
1973 Gremlin X 232 six cyl. purple w/gold stripes
1973 Gremlin 304 V8 - a little more fun
1971 Javlin AMX 4 spd.
1980 Civic Webber/header/cam/spoiler
1984 Colt Turbo very hot car for '84
1985 CRX Si Jackson Racing equiped
1888 CRX Si
1991 CRX Si
1991 GMC Syclone-now we're talking
1998 Integra GSR-goodies of course
1991 NSX-my Dream Car attained
2004 Accord V6 6spd.
You can see where I got Honda in my blood.:biggrin:

Hmmm....when did high school end and life begin? :biggrin:

1271781_4e882ceea5bd07fa.jpg

bought it for 2500$ off my brother in law, had 267,000 miles on it (V6 model) got wrecked at 334,000 miles. The car that got me hooked on imports, if it could last 300k+ miles i like it.

Back