1977 toyota pick up
didnt have to push the clutch in to shift
could only fill it up half way
am/fm only
and mine was lime green.
pure style.

makes me appreachiate owning an NSX
a whole lot more than others

Haha everytime I get to working on the Z, it makes me want an NSX more and more. :tongue:

This topic brings back some bad memories. I had a 1995 Red/Tan NSX from sophomore year. Senior year, I got into a ridiculously dumb accident and totaled my car. Bittersweet, I guess..

This topic brings back some bad memories. I had a 1995 Red/Tan NSX from sophomore year. Senior year, I got into a ridiculously dumb accident and totaled my car. Bittersweet, I guess..

Who bought you an NSX in high school? Will they buy me one too? I'm a really good kid....College of Engineering...cadet officer....I HAVE CREDENTIALS!!!! :tongue: Yes? No?

I learnt to drive in Mum's A60 van while still at school. In NZ, the minimum driving age is 15 so I was laughed at because I didn't get my drivers licence til I was 17. Four speed column shift, 1600 cc 4 cylinder, rear wheel drive... and capable of around 90 mph. (Yes, very scary now I am older and wiser...)
I wish I had a picture of it cos somebody had painted it sunshine yellow...
It looked similar to this one (only MUCH brighter)
a60van.jpg

Man some of you drove some BEASTS in highschool! I just graduated from high school last year (I know, I'm a youngin hehe) and rode the bus for the first 2 years and then my Dad passed down a Ford F-250 2001 7.3L PowerStroke. Since I live near the outskirts of San Antonio, near Helotes EVERYONE at my school wanted or had a huge truck with some kind of lift. Heck my neighbor has a chevy S-10 with a custom 3 foot lift!! and 40 something inch tires!! Anyways heres a pic if the avatar isn't big enough.

DSC01028.jpg

Lets see, 1962 Rambler w/ fully reclining bench seats!
1965 Ford Falcon 3 on the tree
1965 Crysler Newport party crusier
1973 Gremlin X 232 six cyl. purple w/gold stripes
1973 Gremlin 304 V8 - a little more fun
1971 Javlin AMX 4 spd.
1980 Civic Webber/header/cam/spoiler
1984 Colt Turbo very hot car for '84
1985 CRX Si Jackson Racing equiped
1888 CRX Si
1991 CRX Si
1991 GMC Syclone-now we're talking
1998 Integra GSR-goodies of course
1991 NSX-my Dream Car attained
2004 Accord V6 6spd.
You can see where I got Honda in my blood.:biggrin:

How did you find time to drive all of those cars in High School? :biggrin: :tongue:

89' suburban I used for a land scaping business, the interior was ripped to sheds and slowly covered in oil, the roof was rusted 95% through, the back doors barely* shut, and everytime you started it there was a huge cloud of oil from the exhaust. Besides alternator issues it never let me down even when I used it for 1,500+lbs deliveries.

I picked up a 96 hatchback after that, then for my senior year I purchased a 91 300zx twin turbo for 6500 that I sold for 9k before I left to college.

Had this just out of high school. I actually LOST countless girlfriends with this car. Broke on every date and they didn’t believe that the breakdown was real.
alfa romeo giulietta sprint veloce 1959.jpg
Lost a couple of jobs too.

Mine was the same colour as in this photo, but the colour of rust was present too.

so does this mean i am the youngest person here? still in high school and turned 18 less then a month ago

Probably the youngest person on this thread, but certainly not the youngest to have an NSX. I know of an NSX that was previously owned by a 16 y/o girl. She got it as a present.

Probably the youngest person on this thread, but certainly not the youngest to have an NSX. I know of an NSX that was previously owned by a 16 y/o girl. She got it as a present.

That's appalling. :confused: :eek:

My first car in HS was an '86 Pontiac Fiero GT. Car was a total POS but I bought it for $1000 and had a blast with it. Engine finally died on me my senior year so I picked up an '89 Celica All-trac. Now that was a fun little car. I was in WV at the time (aka truck country) so noone had a clue the car was turbocharged or AWD.

Matt

(not mine but looked exactly the same)
f042705a3.jpg

1980 Volvo 240DL Wagon

Great for hauling stuff around, haha.

Re: what did you drive in high school-CHEETAH

Think the performance bar has evolved much in the last 50 years?, well in handling in the US - yes, but on other performance measures - not so much. 1968 - I've built several customs, but the one that holds that special place in my heart follows: I started it at age 13 and finished age 16. I welded and fabricated it all from scratch including the frame, front axle, suspensions bits, interior, etc, and fitted a Cheetah body shell, bow tie 427, 4-spd, pontiac rear. The car was set up somewhere between a street rod and an altered, although the original Bill Thomas Cheetah's were road racers extrardinaire (Cobra's were crude by comparison). Curb weight around 1850, just under 500 HP for a power to weight ratio not quite double a viper. A very fun car to drive, although frankly at that point in my life the build was the mission. Hitchiking to all those part time jobs was a pain though. Taught me a lot about the dynamics of controlling real power. With an 8" driveshaft, it was actually very difficult to break the rear end loose in a straight line, it just put the power down hard. It's only been fairly recent that OEM cars have gotten to the point of me not scoffing at them (NSX's and F and P cars excluded). Before you ask, I did not take it to the strip. The boss of a gas station where I was night mechanic died on the strip flipping his extremely safe roll caged MoPar at 135. Made me a street guy, which was fine anyway. HP is great, but light weight is where it's at. The NSX kind of screwed me up. My plan in the early 90's was to build up another home built loosely based on the Manta kit car platform with say 900 HP or so. I drove a slightly used NSX just for the experience, and well, you've all been there. My final pictures were lost, most of these pictures were without doors during construction. They didn't fit at all and were a nightmare to get right.

Last edited:
OK, so I got carried away and listed all my cars to date.:rolleyes: The Rambler, Falcon, Newport, and Gremlin were the high school vehicles.:biggrin:

In HS, my friend bought two 240Z's for about $1000. We pieced them together to make one that ran. Now that was a great car. At least compared to the POS I had to drive for a little while:

volvo.jpg

Sweet, 1980 Volvo 240DL Wagon...same as mine, except mine was dark green. That car saved my ass when I was in college and rolled it on the freeway at 75 and slid 500 feet on my roof. I walked away with a scrape on my finger. Really solid cars, as I had run ins with a Fiero, Civic, a couple old Beetles, and a UPS truck while I had it. The worst damage it ever had from all of those was a broken muffler.

Heh, before the days of VTEC being a household name, I used to rev this thing to what I estimate to be 7000 RPM. It didn't have a tach, but I would regularly rev it up to 50 in 1st. :redface:

The car I got after that, a 1992 Legend Coupe, which I still drive today, introduced me to the world of Honda, and I've never looked back. :)

Last edited:
Back