what did you drive in high school

I lived on the street behind my high school. I walked. When I graduated, I inherited the 83 Pontiac J2000 wagon in all its tranny and overheating problems glory. It is so glorious thats pics on the web are few and far between. This was the closest I could find. Just imagine it with Metallic Green paint, then drink some beer to forget the image! :tongue: :biggrin:

83firenza.jpg

Unlike some of you I was cool in high school. That is, as long as this fine piece of American engineering actually ran. Went to the car wash and on the way out something rolled out from under the car down the street. My friend said "dude, is that your harmonic balancer?"... why yes... yes it was... with the crank pulley still attached to it.

The only good part of this car was the Recaros... but man did it pull chix. :biggrin:

1G2AW87G7EN23155901.JPG

1G2AW87G7EN23155905.JPG

1G2AW87G7EN23155907.JPG

Unlike some of you I was cool in high school. That is, as long as this fine piece of American engineering actually ran. Went to the car wash and on the way out something rolled out from under the car down the street. My friend said "dude, is that your harmonic balancer?"... why yes... yes it was... with the crank pulley still attached to it.

The only good part of this car was the Recaros... but man did it pull chix. :biggrin:

1G2AW87G7EN23155901.JPG

1G2AW87G7EN23155905.JPG

1G2AW87G7EN23155907.JPG

Is the car in the picture the actual car you had?

Is the car in the picture the actual car you had?

I don't think so, but it is possible I suppose. I sold it a long time ago. Apparently too cheap because it is selling for more now. Seriously, on more than one occasion I came out to the car to see chix waiting by it to see who owns it. It was a total POS but for some reason it was a real hit with high school girls. Must have been the white on white reminding them of a wedding dress. :biggrin:

A '77 Dodge Colt 1.6L 4sp.

I swapped the engine with a 2.6L that I had ported and polished, balanced and blueprinted with forged 10.5:1 pistons and Dual Mikunis. I had to custom make my own header from Mandrel bent tubing, I also put in a 5 speed tranny and disk brake rear end and had to shorten the driveshaft.

I cut the springs in the front since there were no aftermarket alternatives and had the rear leafs de-arched. Bilstein Shocks all around.

I added fender flares and rear spoiler from a Celica and a front air dam from a B210. I also had side skirts. I put a killer Burgundy Imron paint job on it. It had Gold Panasport 8 spoke wheels with BFGs...

I will have to scan a pic from the archives.:smile: I sure miss that car.

in my high school days let see, first is nissan 200sx but that got wrecked in the school parking lot, then 98 accord v6 (got hit twice in a week in school so give back to my dad) after that i got a 91 civic si sold that a month later and finish up in a 1965 mustang fastback in my senior year.
btw the accident is not my fault i have bad luck keep getting rear ended for some reason.

Unlike some of you I was cool in high school..........

Turbo, are trying to say my '81 Mazda GLC was not COOL :confused: It's named GLC (GREAT LITTLE CAR) :biggrin:

I know it was cool but you did have to turn OFF the A/C on the BIG hills so it might have been hot than :tongue:

I had a 67 dodge coronet 4 door with a big 318 ... man it was slow....

Turbo, are trying to say my '81 Mazda GLC was not COOL :confused: It's named GLC (GREAT LITTLE CAR) :biggrin:

No Jeff, I did not say the GLC was not cool... I said YOU were not cool. Please read what I wrote carefully :biggrin:

Is that what it seriously stood for? Great Little Car? LOL.... marketing genius... Now I know why Ford owns them.

Right after graduation, I got a 1992 Prelude Si....which eventually got I/H/E JG cams, cam gears, springs....and other goodies....I still miss it sometimes...
2175324204_0235e93a85_o.jpg

Well, you can always stick that supra wing on your NSX and see if that takes care of it. :tongue:

drove a 92 nissan quest minivan dubbed the "FUN BUS" by my friends... worked most of my senior year, and put a down on the new 99 CIVIC SI's at the time...

and that's when i got infected by the MOD virus that still is in me today... :wink:

1974 Toyota Celica.
by Seats
15" Enkei rims w/Fulda 2000 tires
dual side draft 44mm Mikuni carbs
Pace Setter header
Blaupunkt 2001 stereo - which was cool as shit back in 1984

E72ToyotaCelica.jpg

It was cool, then.
fulda's nice!

Another 3rd generation Dodge Colt owner, though mine was no where as cool as yours. :biggrin:

Funny, I bought mine when I was 15 1/2 also... I think I paid 3 grand for it. I didn't know it came in pea green. Mine was silver when it was stock.

My sister bought a yellow '78 cause she liked mine so much.

Found this one on car domain...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2116317

Last edited:
At 16: 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon, 6000 lbs, 100 HP, Auto! Yeah baby, yeah! I always planned to buy this car back and put in a 300+ HP Porsche Engine :) Maybe in a few years...
At 17:1992 Honda Accord. MT 2.2. Cool Car, lots of toruque (140 ft lbs)
At 18 Downgraded to a 1985 Volkswagen Jetta :( Wrecked it taking a friend home on a windy, wet hill coming down (Marymont in Issaquah for those in the PacNW)
At 19 1996 Civic EX Manual. Did a number of mods + ricey Koneig wheels one which broke off when I hit a curb :EEK:. It was quite "fast" though; I miss that car.
At 20: 2001 Honda S2000. Sold it in 2-3 years. Regrett it..
At 22: Downgraded to a 1985 Toyota Camry. Regretted doing it again! (bought a house)
At 22: Bought a 1997 Prelude SH. Sold it a year later (for $1000+ more than I paid for it). The only car I didn't end up losing my @$$ on. Cool car. Too heavy in the front/understeered too much. Don't regret selling it too much, but wish I had gotten a GSR, from the begining, or at least at this point as my DD.
At 24: Got the NSX. Got a 1992 Toyota Pickup (w/ a quarter million miles) Got a 2001 Civic EX AT (with 140K miles). Going to sell the latter 2 because they haven't quite worked out so well... and trying to hold back on the NSX... Want to buy a 04+ S2000 and/or maybe a 2004 C320 AMG and/or a Dodge Ram SRT-10.
At 25: Got my wife a 05 Merc C230. Thinking about what to replace that with next in a few years :rolleyes: Maybe a Cayman or...

I know what you're thinking: You graduated at 25??No, just trying to point: Don't be like me.. and go through so many cars. My advice (probably common sense to everyone): Buy a car and keep it for say at least.. 3 years and don't downgrade to a beater! If I could go back, I'd start with a GSR and keep it as my daily driver forever.

Last edited:
At 16: 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon, 6000 lbs, 100 HP, Auto! Yeah baby, yeah!
At 18 Downgraded to a 1985 Volkswagen Jetta :( Wrecked it taking a friend home on a windy, wet hill coming down (Marymont in Issaquah for those in the PacNW)
At 19 1996 Civic EX Manual. Did a number of mods + ricey 17" wheels. Actually was quite "fast" I miss that car..
At 22: Downgraded to a 1985 Toyota Camry. Regretted doing it again!
At 22: Bought a 1997 Prelude SH. Sold it a year later (for $1000+ more than I paid for it). Cool car. Too heavy in the front/understeered too much.
At 24: Got the NSX. Got a 1992 Toyota Pickup (w/ a quarter million miles) Got a 2001 Civic EX AT (with 140K miles). Going to sell the latter 2 because they haven't quite worked out so well... and trying to hold back on the NSX... Want to buy a 04+ S2000 and/or maybe a 2004 C320 AMG and/or a Dodge Ram SRT-10.
At 25: Got my wife a 05 Merc C230. Thinking about what to replace that with next in a few years :rolleyes: Maybe a Cayman or...

Wow, you were in High School a lot longer than most of us.

My first car was a '56 T-Bird. After getting beaten handily every drag race, I sold it to my father and bought a '68 Dodge Charger. Wish I still had that car.

At 16: 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon, 6000 lbs, 100 HP, Auto! Yeah baby, yeah! I always planned to buy this car back and put in a 300+ HP Porsche Engine :) Maybe in a few years...
At 19 1996 Civic EX Manual. Did a number of mods + ricey Koneig wheels one which broke off when I hit a curb :EEK:. It was quite "fast" though; I miss that car.
At 22: Downgraded to a 1985 Toyota Camry. Regretted doing it again! (bought a house)
At 22: Bought a 1997 Prelude SH. Sold it a year later (for $1000+ more than I paid for it). The only car I didn't end up losing my @$$ on. Cool car. Too heavy in the front/understeered too much. Don't regret selling it too much, but wish I had gotten a GSR, from the begining, or at least at this point as my DD.

I know what you're thinking: You graduated at 25??No, just trying to point: Don't be like me.. and go through so many cars. My advice (probably common sense to everyone): Buy a car and keep it for say at least.. 3 years and don't downgrade to a beater! If I could go back, I'd start with a GSR and keep it as my daily driver forever.

Isn't there some sort of law where you have to leave high school at age 21?:confused:

I rode the school bus my whole life. I didn't get a car until halfway through my first year of college. My dad bought me a 1994 VW Golf hatchback for $4000. Great little car, even if it did break the flex coupling in the exhaust every four months. It had a bit of rust on it but was otherwise just about perfect. Great college car until some moronic female pulled out in front of me and I t-boned her at 45 mph, completely destroying my car (and hers). She paid for that one, at least. She's lucky I turned at the last second or I'd have hit her door squarely. I instead punched her rear axle two feet out the other side of her car. :) Well, okay, only one foot out the other side...

Back