Timing belt failure??

Was curious if there are owners on here that have had timing belt failures or heard of any failures.. I know the TBs are important to change on time. Am wondering if they are not changed how long they have lasted.

Was curious if there are owners on here that have had timing belt failures or heard of any failures.. I know the TBs are important to change on time. Am wondering if they are not changed how long they have lasted.

They have been known to fail. The consensus is that they appear to be more sensitive to time than to mileage but that is not a hard-and-fast rule.

Some of the failures on record are probably related to water pump failure which is TB-driven. Some people choose not to replace the WP during the TB service against prevailing opinion and that fails, consequently breaking the TB.

The bottom line is that it should be changed on time as well as the water pump. Based on what I've read I'd rather have an extra 10K miles on my TB than go an extra year on it when it comes right down to it but at the end of the day it's just foolish not to do it on schedule.

Not replacing the WP is equally foolish since not doing it really only saves ~$200 over 180K miles or 12-14 years which really is peanuts over that period of time to eliminate a huge risk to your engine.

I think there are too many variables which occur over time to make an educated guess with any certainty as to how long to risk driving on a TB that is due for replacement. Temperature, humidity, driving conditions, etc.

Your much better off just sticking with Honda recommendations :wink:

OK, I've owned my 95 since new and now have 37,215 miles on it. I have been reading about this timing belt thing for the last several years. At my 30K service, the Acura tech inspected my belt for any signs of impending failure. He said it still looked new at that time. We decided to wait until my 45K service. I know what you're thinking...the car would be 20 years old at that time with my present driving. Every bit of rubber on this car still looks new with NO sign of aging whatsoever. That had driven my decision in not changing the belt. Long story short, this site finally made me paranoid to drive the car anymore in fear of the belt failing. So today, the belt was changed. I can now report for what it is worth that the belt STILL looks new and when folded completely backwards shows no signs of rubber cracking in any of the teeth. I mention this only for informational purposes. I do have to report that now my mind is at ease and I can drive my beloved car again and let the engine sing like it was meant to. Would I put off getting it done if I had been able to examine it? No. What the heck, peace of mind is worth something. I don't write this to promote not changing the belt on time. I think each owner has to look at their circumstances. My car has never been tracked and since I'm the only driver, I know how it has been treated since day one. The car has never been driven in inclimate weather and always garaged and covered. Just thought this might be interesting.

If anyone continues this subject, please provide a link to a KNOWN belt failure. I don't think I've found one on Prime from a first person perspective unless they were racing/or abusing the engine. I have not found any Acura tech that has heard of an NSX belt failure.

OK, I've owned my 95 since new and now have 37,215 miles on it. I have been reading about this timing belt thing for the last several years. At my 30K service, the Acura tech inspected my belt for any signs of impending failure. He said it still looked new at that time. We decided to wait until my 45K service. I know what you're thinking...the car would be 20 years old at that time with my present driving. Every bit of rubber on this car still looks new with NO sign of aging whatsoever. That had driven my decision in not changing the belt. Long story short, this site finally made me paranoid to drive the car anymore in fear of the belt failing. So today, the belt was changed. I can now report for what it is worth that the belt STILL looks new and when folded completely backwards shows no signs of rubber cracking in any of the teeth. I mention this only for informational purposes. I do have to report that now my mind is at ease and I can drive my beloved car again and let the engine sing like it was meant to. Would I put off getting it done if I had been able to examine it? No. What the heck, peace of mind is worth something. I don't write this to promote not changing the belt on time. I think each owner has to look at their circumstances. My car has never been tracked and since I'm the only driver, I know how it has been treated since day one. The car has never been driven in inclimate weather and always garaged and covered. Just thought this might be interesting.

If anyone continues this subject, please provide a link to a KNOWN belt failure. I don't think I've found one on Prime from a first person perspective unless they were racing/or abusing the engine. I have not found any Acura tech that has heard of an NSX belt failure.

I'm sorry, but did you have your TIMING BELT changed? It sounds that you had some belt other than your timing belt changed. Did you also have your water pump changed at the same time you had your "timing belt" changed? How long did it take to change your belt, and what was the cost if I may ask.

At my 30K service, the Acura tech inspected my belt for any signs of impending failure. He said it still looked new at that time.

It is impossible to determine the remaining life of a timing belt by visual inspection. Timing belts are elastomeric devices--kind of like a heater or radiator hose only much more critical and highly stressed. The main load-carrying fibers are invisible and you just can't tell what shape the belt is in without a destructive test which, of course, can't be performed while the belt is on the pulley. Any mechanic who claims otherwise is not one I would trust to perform any work my NSX.

By the way, the reason you haven't heard any Acura mechanic mention a NSX timing belt failure is because most Acura mechanics see very few, if any, NSXs and the vast majority of NSX owners adhere rigidly to the maintenance schedule.

It is impossible to determine the remaining life of a timing belt by visual inspection. Timing belts are elastomeric devices--kind of like a heater or radiator hose only much more critical and highly stressed. The main load-carrying fibers are invisible and you just can't tell what shape the belt is in without a destructive test which, of course, can't be performed while the belt is on the pulley. Any mechanic who claims otherwise is not one I would trust to perform any work my NSX.

By the way, the reason you haven't heard any Acura mechanic mention a NSX timing belt failure is because most Acura mechanics see very few, if any, NSXs and the vast majority of NSX owners adhere rigidly to the maintenance schedule.

Very well stated and true.

I'm sorry, but did you have your TIMING BELT changed? It sounds that you had some belt other than your timing belt changed. Did you also have your water pump changed at the same time you had your "timing belt" changed? How long did it take to change your belt, and what was the cost if I may ask.

Yes, I had the timing belt, water pump and all drive belts changed. Cost was $1465.

I don't disagree with this at all. I was merely providing information on my belt. I think I read about another similar circumstance a few years ago where the belt showed no signs of aging. That probably influenced my decision to put mine off. Again, I'm glad I had the service done because now I'm at peace with driving my car. I do understand there are few NSX's for mechanics to work on, but Legends kind of fall in this category too and there have been very few failures on those engines as well. I believe, as you do, there is no definitive way of knowing if a belt is about to break. That said, following the recommended maintenance schedule would be good advice for all. The cost of the belt change is inexpensive insurance compared to the cost of rebuilding an engine.

I don't disagree with this at all. I was merely providing information on my belt. I think I read about another similar circumstance a few years ago where the belt showed no signs of aging. That probably influenced my decision to put mine off. Again, I'm glad I had the service done because now I'm at peace with driving my car. I do understand there are few NSX's for mechanics to work on, but Legends kind of fall in this category too and there have been very few failures on those engines as well. I believe, as you do, there is no definitive way of knowing if a belt is about to break. That said, following the recommended maintenance schedule would be good advice for all. The cost of the belt change is inexpensive insurance compared to the cost of rebuilding an engine.

A visual inspection of a timing belt is completely unreliable in every way and isn't useful information. The fact that your timing belt visually appeared to have, in your words "no signs of aging" means absolutely nothing and should not be used to make any sort of determination about its remaining lifespan.

If you used that piece of useless data to make a determination about whether or not to replace your TB you were playing with fire. You had absolutely no way of knowing whether that belt was less likely than one that looked "old" to fail the next day.

And I disagree, Legends don't fall in "this category." An NSX is not a legend in any way, shape or form aside from the ABS system and basic engine block.

Again, most TBs don't fail because the vast majority of car owners, particularly NSX owners, stick to the maintenance schedule.

No offense, but this is dangerous information to promote about the timing belt maintenance of the NSX. The recommended schedule is 90K miles or 9 years. There are many time related maintenance issues on cars. As mentioned above, coolant hoses (very important, ask me how I know :wink:) and even tires (most tires have a life of 5-7 years regardless of mileage). Your Honda tech was deleterious in his duty to help you service your car properly.

My 1992 has 20,000 miles and original timing belt but I am thinking about it but nearly $1500 makes me gamble.

:confused:

Umm, don't be surprised if a piston flies right through your valvetrain tomorrow.

You timing belt is nearly three times the maximum age for replacement. :eek:

As I've noted before, based on what I've read NSX TBs are more sensitive to time than mileage. I would immediately replace the timing belt if I were you. If you don't you are running a very high risk and might be the thread to link to regarding TB failure stories.

I'm going to assume you're joking...I hope. :wink:

My 1992 has 20,000 miles and original timing belt but I am thinking about it but nearly $1500 makes me gamble.

What gamble is that? If you can't afford the PROPER, MANDATORY maintenance, please sell the car and put it in the hands of someone that can.

I'm completely serious.

Well if you really want to know the truth and take a risk like me, you'll end up paying for it. I have 55k and 8 years on my TB and it snapped on my way to work this morning. The speed limit is no higher than 35mph so I usually just keep the car in 1st gear. Less shifting means I'll get more mileage out of my original clutch that has 72k on it. I called AAA and had the car towed to my mechanic. I haven't heard back from him yet, but I'll probably need a new engine. :mad:

Well if you really want to know the truth and take a risk like me, you'll end up paying for it. I have 55k and 8 years on my TB and it snapped on my way to work this morning. The speed limit is no higher than 35mph so I usually just keep the car in 1st gear. Less shifting means I'll get more mileage out of my original clutch that has 72k on it. I called AAA and had the car towed to my mechanic. I haven't heard back from him yet, but I'll probably need a new engine. :mad:

If you're serious, John@Microsoft has a nice 3.2l engine for sale in the classified section!

Back