Timing belt failure??

Well if you really want to know the truth and take a risk like me, you'll end up paying for it. I have 55k and 8 years on my TB and it snapped on my way to work this morning. The speed limit is no higher than 35mph so I usually just keep the car in 1st gear. Less shifting means I'll get more mileage out of my original clutch that has 72k on it. I called AAA and had the car towed to my mechanic. I haven't heard back from him yet, but I'll probably need a new engine. :mad:

Yikes.Sorry to hear that mess.I've seen a few engines for sale in the market place.John has a 3.2 liter for sale.I'm pretty sure you could do that if you are willing to change out the ecu/wiring harness as well.Good luck.

If you're serious, John@Microsoft has a nice 3.2l engine for sale in the classified section!

Thanks for the heads up. Since my NSX is a 94 NA1 with OBD1, how difficult would it be to do the swap? There's also the drive by wire issue to deal with. I don't think it's worth it. I know that Hugh has a spare motor in storage so I'll just call him.

Timing Belt Service Interval - 1991-96: 90K or 6 years
Timing Belt Service Interval - 1997-2005: 105K or 7 years

DocL,

I am sensing here that your situation has something to do with the date you posted;). Al least, I hope so...

Regards,
LarryB

My 1992 had 26K miles on the original timing belt. I replaced it last month. I figured 17 years on the original was pushing it.....my car has always been in a climate controlled garage.

DocL, Curious what kind of driving you had done with your car. Had the engine been hit on A LOT? This seems to be the only timing belt failure to this point.Or at least known on here.

Well if you really want to know the truth and take a risk like me, you'll end up paying for it. I have 55k and 8 years on my TB and it snapped on my way to work this morning. The speed limit is no higher than 35mph so I usually just keep the car in 1st gear. Less shifting means I'll get more mileage out of my original clutch that has 72k on it. I called AAA and had the car towed to my mechanic. I haven't heard back from him yet, but I'll probably need a new engine. :mad:

Good News! Docl. Since your were going at low speed when the timing belt broke, It only bent the valves, but the pistons are in good shape. We should be able to get this back together in about 3-4 weeks and with your AAA discount, The repair should be around $5000-$6000. If you had done your timing belt per Acura recommedation, you would still be driving your car now. I am glad you waited, This is my Acura economic stimulus plan in action. :wink:

Oh man, this is really sad news. I hope you get off easy with this one.

This seems to be the only timing belt failure to this point.Or at least known on here.

There have been TB failures posted here on Prime. And just because you haven't read about one here doesn't mean they haven't happened.

Timing Belt Service Interval - 1991-96: 90K or 6 years
Timing Belt Service Interval - 1997-2005: 105K or 7 years

LarryB

Thanks Larry.

Last edited:
I bought my first NSX in 1997, a '91 w/10K miles. After a few years and 23K miles, I emailed a question about timing belts to Pat Goss' radio show (from Motorweek). I go by Paul in the email. Answered a question about plugs and then to the timing belt. I thought the interval was 60K/6 years back then which was actually 90K/6 years. Pretty much agree with what he says though. File is audio only.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ukXi83cAofU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ukXi83cAofU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
We definitely have strong opinions here. I'm a very analytical person and I like to have some reasoning behind what I'm told. I just can't take all of this as the gospel on timing belts. I'm trying to figure out exactly how the passage of time has an effect on the elastomeric fibres of a timing belt. And let's get real here....exactly how old do you think that new belt I just had installed is? If time is more important than the stress of mileage then I might as well set up my appointment right now and you guys better be doing the same. I'm also trying to figure out what miracle took place between 1996 and 1997 that it's all right to push the belt another year from six years to seven. It's the same belt fellas! It's also now on a more powerful engine which should stress the belt a little more don't you think?

Let's take two hypotheticals here. In the first, we have a 1991 NSX driven 2000 miles per week. The guy lives a long way from work. He hits 90,000 miles before the year is up. His belt is certainly stretched to it's design limit so by all means let's change the belt. Now the second is a guy, let's say someone like Jay Leno, who bought his 1991 NSX and immediately put it in the garage and has never driven it. Are we to believe because the car is now eighteen years old he shouldn't drive it because timing belt failure is eminent? And once again, I have to ask, HOW OLD IS THE "NEW" BELT?

There may not be any way of knowing what exactly led to the few failures we have heard about on this forum, but I'm guessing there may be more to the failure than the belt just giving up. After examining my water pump and idler pulley, I would be far more concerned with how long the bearings in those items last than the integrity of the belt. If either of those items cease up, the belt will burn up for sure. The belt will stretch with normal use and stretch alot more with abuse. That is a far more determining factor of belt failure than the passage of time. The belt doesn't stretch just sitting there with no load, so again I have to ask, how does the passage of time effect this belt? If you say the elements will effect it, then you are making my point that it does depend on how the car has been treated. I car driven on nice days only and always garaged and covered will not be the same as a car driven in all types of weather and parked outdoors a lot.

Since there probably aren't that many original owners out there anymore like myself, I think it would be prudent for any new owner to have this service done just so he has his starting point.

I'm not recommending for ANYONE to disregard the maintenance schedule. I'm just telling my point of view as to why I postponed my service and I wanted to share my findings after that service. I am sorry if this seems like "dangerous" information. It is what it is, information.

We definitely have strong opinions here. I'm a very analytical person and I like to have some reasoning behind what I'm told. I just can't take all of this as the gospel on timing belts. I'm trying to figure out exactly how the passage of time has an effect on the elastomeric fibres of a timing belt. And let's get real here....exactly how old do you think that new belt I just had installed is? If time is more important than the stress of mileage then I might as well set up my appointment right now and you guys better be doing the same. I'm also trying to figure out what miracle took place between 1996 and 1997 that it's all right to push the belt another year from six years to seven. It's the same belt fellas! It's also now on a more powerful engine which should stress the belt a little more don't you think?

Let's take two hypotheticals here. In the first, we have a 1991 NSX driven 2000 miles per week. The guy lives a long way from work. He hits 90,000 miles before the year is up. His belt is certainly stretched to it's design limit so by all means let's change the belt. Now the second is a guy, let's say someone like Jay Leno, who bought his 1991 NSX and immediately put it in the garage and has never driven it. Are we to believe because the car is now eighteen years old he shouldn't drive it because timing belt failure is eminent? And once again, I have to ask, HOW OLD IS THE "NEW" BELT?

There may not be any way of knowing what exactly led to the few failures we have heard about on this forum, but I'm guessing there may be more to the failure than the belt just giving up. After examining my water pump and idler pulley, I would be far more concerned with how long the bearings in those items last than the integrity of the belt. If either of those items cease up, the belt will burn up for sure. The belt will stretch with normal use and stretch alot more with abuse. That is a far more determining factor of belt failure than the passage of time. The belt doesn't stretch just sitting there with no load, so again I have to ask, how does the passage of time effect this belt? If you say the elements will effect it, then you are making my point that it does depend on how the car has been treated. I car driven on nice days only and always garaged and covered will not be the same as a car driven in all types of weather and parked outdoors a lot.

Since there probably aren't that many original owners out there anymore like myself, I think it would be prudent for any new owner to have this service done just so he has his starting point.

I'm not recommending for ANYONE to disregard the maintenance schedule. I'm just telling my point of view as to why I postponed my service and I wanted to share my findings after that service. I am sorry if this seems like "dangerous" information. It is what it is, information.

What the hell?? The nerve of you posting logical reasoning and facts. Join the "Our engines are in imminent danger of explosion due to TB failure" or suffer the consequences..........:wink:

Rubber degrades over time. As an example, tire manufacturers recommend 5-7 year life on a tire, then change it. Your timing belt is rubber.

Want to push the limits? Conduct a study and post your results when you're done! :wink:

Rubber degrades over time. As an example, tire manufacturers recommend 5-7 year life on a tire, then change it. Your timing belt is rubber.

Want to push the limits? Conduct a study and post your results when you're done! :wink:

True.when I was much younger I figured I could use the same condom for 7 years, well needless to say I now have 125 dependants:frown:

True.when I was much younger I figured I could use the same condom for 7 years, well needless to say I now have 125 dependants:frown:
Braggart, what does Trish have to say about all the illegal heirs to the Doc's fortune?:eek:

I think its more like misfortune Rog.:redface:

I agree with this statement, but spare timing belts have been sitting on the shelves of Acura dealers for a long time. How do you know the age of the "new" belt that is being installed? If somebody had a low mileage, late model year (1999-2005), the "new" belt may be older than the OEM belt!

Bob

I agree with this statement, but spare timing belts have been sitting on the shelves of Acura dealers for a long time. How do you know the age of the "new" belt that is being installed? If somebody had a low mileage, late model year (1999-2005), the "new" belt may be older than the OEM belt!

Bob

That is also very true. Unless they are required to put expiration date on the belt.

I hope the TB failure is an April's Fool joke.

You drive in 1st at 35MPH for extended periods to save clutch wear :confused: That's gotta be another April's Fool joke!

If you're serious I'm really sorry and I would also be worried about mine then.

Dave

Bob

This is why the Aviation Industry has "cure dates" on all rubber parts as well as a statement from the OEM with the months of shelf life (valid expiration).

Bob

This brings up an interesting point of view. How does one know that the timing belt we're buying from Acura isn't old. Since the car has been discontinued after 2005. Does Acura continually make new timing belts or are there belts sitting on the shelves that are 5-10 years old??? Wouldn't make much sense for Acura to keep on making new parts for a car that's been discontinued for 4 years.

This brings up an interesting point of view. How does one know that the timing belt we're buying from Acura isn't old. Since the car has been discontinued after 2005. Does Acura continually make new timing belts or are there belts sitting on the shelves that are 5-10 years old??? Wouldn't make much sense for Acura to keep on making new parts for a car that's been discontinued for 4 years.

Unless the T/belts are compatible with some other Honda engines? if not, then this would be a great question to pose to an Acura parts department:confused:

Back