Timing belt failure??

My previous thoughts about a new timing belt sealed in a plastic bag preserving its newness may be incorrect as the new plastic bag had small circular holes punched in it.

My water pump was in a sealed (air tight) bag, same as the timing belt. Only the Alternator and AC belts were free air.

That's an extremely high price for even the full 90K mile service. :confused:

Are you sure there wasn't additional work done like a valve adjustment or the VTEC solenoid seal?

I looked at my receipt:
J#1:Timing belt/water pump/drive belts
J#2:90000 Mile Maint
J#3:Cooling system:replaced all hoses

Estimate: $3164.77 + tax then they gave me a 10% discount for a total of $2770.71.

I think I got hosed. They had my car for 2 weeks. They were waiting for hoses for CA and then the head mechanic put the timing belt in one notch off so my car idled very rough-had to take the engine apart again to redo it.

The worst part is the car was declared a total loss due to the accident 2 years later. My mileage at the time of this work being done was 19,986. The mileage at time of accident 23,981.

I looked at my receipt:
J#1:Timing belt/water pump/drive belts
J#2:90000 Mile Maint
J#3:Cooling system:replaced all hoses

Estimate: $3164.77 + tax then they gave me a 10% discount for a total of $2770.71.

I think I got hosed. They had my car for 2 weeks. They were waiting for hoses for CA and then the head mechanic put the timing belt in one notch off so my car idled very rough-had to take the engine apart again to redo it.

The worst part is the car was declared a total loss due to the accident 2 years later. My mileage at the time of this work being done was 19,986. The mileage at time of accident 23,981.

I think you paid at least $500 too much for everything you described. The full 90K mile service including TB/WP is typically under $2,000 (w/o valve adj.) and the replacement of the coolant hoses (not technically a 90K mile service item but highly recommended) should be less than $500. I would expect to pay no more than about $2,200 for all the work you listed above.

And to add insult to injury the mechanic screwed up the TB. Another prime example of why only experienced NSX mechanics should be allowed to perform major work or services on an NSX.

Sorry to hear about the wreck. Always stings the most right after a bunch of money was dropped on a major service...:frown:

My water pump was in a sealed (air tight) bag, same as the timing belt. Only the Alternator and AC belts were free air.

I hate to beat a dead horse on this but I really don't think the belt's age on the shelf plays much of a role in it's lifespan on the car. NSX timing belts have been made and have been sitting on shelves for a long time now and I've still yet to hear of any case where a TB broke both before 7 years and 90K miles and was not caused by a water pump failure, meaning the TB itself was not the cause of the failure.

As long as both the age and mileage guidelines are adhered to I would not worry much about how long the belt sat in a platic bag on a shelf. Maybe 10 or 20 years of sitting on a shelf might compromise it slightly but there is simply no indication or evidence to support the hypothesis that an NSX TB's life can be shortened measurably or to the point where Honda's guidelines become insufficient.

Back