Stock Market

Jinkers, I can email you an Excel file which will do the calculations for you. You will just have to enter the High, Low and Close to calculate next days pivot points. Some charting platforms do this automatically and draw the pivots right on the charts, e.g. eSignal. Btw...I would recommend using eSignal :) PM me your email address if you'd like the Excel file.

-Awais

I do my pivots by hand because it helps me on the next day. Made 5 points again today in class, :D Anyway I like e-signal ok I really love CQG and Tradestation, you get what you pay for. CQG is about 600 a month, Tradestation about 200. both are good.

O-Ace said:
Jinkers, I can email you an Excel file which will do the calculations for you. You will just have to enter the High, Low and Close to calculate next days pivot points. Some charting platforms do this automatically and draw the pivots right on the charts, e.g. eSignal. Btw...I would recommend using eSignal :) PM me your email address if you'd like the Excel file.

-Awais

Psycnosis said:
I do my pivots by hand because it helps me on the next day. Made 5 points again today in class, :D Anyway I like e-signal ok I really love CQG and Tradestation, you get what you pay for. CQG is about 600 a month, Tradestation about 200. both are good.
Psyc, one of my friends has a seat at the CME and was telling me CQG is a total ripoff and he prefers using eSignal over CQG. This guy trades over 200-lots at a time, so I know money is not the deciding factor for him.

And yea, I do Pivots by hand too. Helps me remember the levels the following day, and also forces me to look at the big picture :D

-Awais

Well to be honest I don't care if he play's 1000 lots, I used all 3 at one time and CQG and Tradestation blow away e-signal. Also e-signal's RSI sucks and is wrong some of the time. I know people that run 20 billion and run CQG with there own T1 or T3 to run it. It's what I like and what has the best TRUE indicators. E-signal sucks and is down there with Quote for stock software. E-signal's RSI is wrong some of the time and has cost me about 30k because of shitty indicators so that is enough. $600 a month is NOTHING for good data if you are making 30-50k a month. It's the cost of doing business.

O-Ace said:
Psyc, one of my friends has a seat at the CME and was telling me CQG is a total ripoff and he prefers using eSignal over CQG. This guy trades over 200-lots at a time, so I know money is not the deciding factor for him.

And yea, I do Pivots by hand too. Helps me remember the levels the following day, and also forces me to look at the big picture :D

-Awais

Psycnosis said:
Well to be honest I don't care if he play's 1000 lots, I used all 3 at one time and CQG and Tradestation blow away e-signal. Also e-signal's RSI sucks and is wrong some of the time. I know people that run 20 billion and run CQG with there own T1 or T3 to run it. It's what I like and what has the best TRUE indicators. E-signal sucks and is down there with Quote for stock software. E-signal's RSI is wrong some of the time and has cost me about 30k because of shitty indicators so that is enough. $600 a month is NOTHING for good data if you are making 30-50k a month. It's the cost of doing business.

Since you've seen all of these, how does FutureSource stack up? Thats who I use.

Never heard of it or used it. I know all the big houses, Lynch, T-Rowe, USB use CQG. Tradestation is nice as well because you can use 3 screens with it.

Jinkers said:
Since you've seen all of these, how does FutureSource stack up? Thats who I use.

Futuresource is pretty big, they actually supply the charting software to CME's website (according to them). Its pretty simple software and easy to use, but since I have no point of reference, I don't know how accurate their indicators are or how many features they're lacking compared to other platforms. They don't have pivot points for one thing (not an issue because O-Ace was nice enough to send me an Excel spreadsheet that calculates them).

I would check out Tradestation, it has pivots and you can write your own stuff, or pay them to do it for you.

Jinkers said:
Futuresource is pretty big, they actually supply the charting software to CME's website (according to them). Its pretty simple software and easy to use, but since I have no point of reference, I don't know how accurate their indicators are or how many features they're lacking compared to other platforms. They don't have pivot points for one thing (not an issue because O-Ace was nice enough to send me an Excel spreadsheet that calculates them).

Ryanmcd2 said:
Never heard of it or used it. I know all the big houses, Lynch, T-Rowe, USB use CQG. Tradestation is nice as well because you can use 3 screens with it.
eSignal works fine on my triple LCD setup. I guess if CQG helps you make money, then it's well worth it. For me, eSignal does the job and then some. jinkers, I would recommend you get eSignal :)

-Awais

Ryanmcd2 said:
I would check out Tradestation, it has pivots and you can write your own stuff, or pay them to do it for you.
eSignal does the same. Actually, since I develop software for a living, I find eSignal's EFS language easier to work with.

-Awais

How do eSignal/Tradestation's fees compare to Futuresource? I'm paying $92 a month plus $29 in exchange fees I believe.

Tradestation is about 220 a month, e-sig is about 120ish a month CQG about 600ish a month. You get what you pay for. Remember data is all you have and if you are playing 1000 a point the data can be paid for in a matter of mins.

Jinkers said:
How do eSignal/Tradestation's fees compare to Futuresource? I'm paying $92 a month plus $29 in exchange fees I believe.

Kind of off the topic from what has been discussed lately. But I am interested in entering into the stock market and possibly do some day-swing trades. Have 20K to play with and would ideally like to net a solid $100-$300 at the end of each day. I'm just learning the basics, the lingo, and am trying to absorb as much as I can in other more-related forums. May I ask how some of you started and from what you've experienced so far if you had to do it all over again, how would you start?

I have read people talking about these trading programs to help in identifying ideal entry/exit points. What would you recommend for a beginner?

I'm sure this is a very broad question but how do some of you go about evaluating a potential stock to trade? Just a simple jist (step-by-step) of things will work so I can get an idea.

Appreciate the time and help. TIA for the replies.

-Leo

Leo, you need a mnimum of $25K to day-trade (buy & sell the same day). This is an SEC rule. Personally, I would trade the mini index futures if I had $20K to play with. Steve is the expert when it comes to stocks/options so maybe he'll provide some input as well.

-Awais

A question for all ES traders...if you use the shorter timeframe (1-5 minutes), whats your rational over using a 10-15? Just to get a discussion going... seems like my 2 minute charts work out better some days (more consistent signals, less gains), 10 minute charts (less consistent signals, greater upside potential) other days, just wondering what you all do

Back