Insane markups on local Craigslist ads

Now I'm absolutely convinced these are fake and someone is trying to pull a scam some place.

Very welcome. I am in no rush to sell. If it goes it goes. If not, i am more than happy keeping and be buried in it :smile:. Got an offer yesterday from a dealer for $60k,low ball offer $53k and $57,500, prime member here for $65 then changed his mind to $63k and had another deal of $70 which fell through over insurance. I am deff' getting activities on it and have no problem waiting for the right deal. As far as dollars, I understand my asking price is a bit on the high side and planning to adjust lower in coming weeks.... Who ever buys this car will surely be a happy camper as it needs nothing.

An '05 blue went in a few weeks here in the neighborhood of 68ish and was bought from a NJ prime member by a Florida Audi dealership. In less than two weeks the Audi dealer then flipped it to a Long Island, NY Jag dealer who is now listing it for $86k.
I remember seeing that car for sale and going fast. There are a few ways I see this panning out:

1. Dealers know something that private sellers don't and are cashing in on that knowledge. Eventually private sellers will catch on and start raising their prices to match.
2. Dealers are overly optimistic and this car will sit on a lot and then get passed around from auction to auction until someone decides to take a loss just to move it.

I remember seeing that car for sale and going fast. There are a few ways I see this panning out:

1. Dealers know something that private sellers don't and are cashing in on that knowledge. Eventually private sellers will catch on and start raising their prices to match.
2. Dealers are overly optimistic and this car will sit on a lot and then get passed around from auction to auction until someone decides to take a loss just to move it.

On a high end sports cars, is very seldom dealers take a loss. Most dealers including myself have x-amount of days we keep our cars in inventory and then we make make it disappear either through auction or cheap sale. And very rare i see a NSX run through auctions. Example with this 05 blue, if dealer finds a buyer who needs 100% financing, let just say dealer take a loss in front end deal and sold car for $65k, they still come ahead b/c of back end profit (financing)anywhere from 1%-3% of finance amount and other product they sell/offer with the deal such as extended warranty paint protection gap etc......

Other times dealer buy rare cars just for show or use as marketing tool to draw buyers to their dealership. Lots of reason why dealers sometime pay all the money just to get the car so is not always profit they're after. I may be wrong in today's marketing strategy but when i ran a dealership, sometime i buy a car just to let it sit in the showroom and use the car to attract customers to our website....

On a high end sports cars, is very seldom dealers take a loss. Most dealers including myself have x-amount of days we keep our cars in inventory and then we make make it disappear either through auction or cheap sale. And very rare i see a NSX run through auctions. Example with this 05 blue, if dealer finds a buyer who needs 100% financing, let just say dealer take a loss in front end deal and sold car for $65k, they still come ahead b/c of back end profit (financing)anywhere from 1%-3% of finance amount and other product they sell/offer with the deal such as extended warranty paint protection gap etc......

Other times dealer buy rare cars just for show or use as marketing tool to draw buyers to their dealership. Lots of reason why dealers sometime pay all the money just to get the car so is not always profit they're after. I may be wrong in today's marketing strategy but when i ran a dealership, sometime i buy a car just to let it sit in the showroom and use the car to attract customers to our website....

These time frames tend to coincide directly with floor plan curtailment payments. (Ask me how I know, my brother in law does this all the time)

Thanks Du - but now you've got some competition.

An '05 blue went in a few weeks here in the neighborhood of 68ish and was bought from a NJ prime member by a Florida Audi dealership. In less than two weeks the Audi dealer then flipped it to a Long Island, NY Jag dealer who is now listing it for $86k.

I blame global warming........

http://autos.aol.com/used-detail-2468988853350934885-Acura-NSX-2005/

What are you saying now... You agree now that something legit is going on with price increases? The stock market is at record highs... That can't hurt...

These time frames tend to coincide directly with floor plan curtailment payments. (Ask me how I know, my brother in law does this all the time)

Yup. The end of the day dealer look at how much they net from front and back and that's all really matter to them. They may lose a few bucks on one unit (deal) and make up on other sold cars,by month end, they are always ahead.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you saying now... You agree now that something legit is going on with price increases? The stock market is at record highs... That can't hurt...

You guys remember early corvette's (1963-67)and how much mkt value jumped from 2000 to 2003? Market value for 63 vette in 2000 were around $30k,by 2003 they were selling in the upper $60's then it went as high as $80's by 2005. And who knows what they command today.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this another scam ad or real? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3704956714.html

No, just saying that after the groundhog saw his shadow it meant 6 more weeks of dealers trying to show other dealers "theirs is bigger"............

hey I'm gonna sell my 96 to myself for 87k...its one owner,all records,no accidents....

hey I'm gonna sell my 96 to myself for 87k...its one owner,all records,no accidents....

Why not... Don't you already have "date nights" with yourself? :D

- - - Updated - - -

Already beat you to it an hour ago LOL

I need a 3rd :biggrin:

Get the F out.... LOL... Stop hoarding and let someone else have a shot.

- - - Updated - - -

C'mon guys. Any ads with zero pics and no vin is nothing but scam. And most recent ads on this thread are bogus! (IMO)

I asked him to take a picture of the VIN for me. Like that'll happen.

Back