Dealer put 170 miles on my car

Originally posted by RyRy210:
So here's the story:

I dropped off my car at the dealer last Friday [This message has been edited by RyRy210 (edited 06 March 2003).]

Your name wouldn’t happen to be Ferris Bueller would it? Try putting it on blocks and running it backwards… all kidding aside.

I’d be pissed… try to talk to the owner of the dealership, maybe he wouldn’t mind lending you his car the next time you go on a trip.

Just my .02, but it seems to me that the close relationship that you have with the service manager could possibly work against you in this case. It's possible that the manager my want to shelter the culprit from exposure.

It may be to your benefit to take the above advice of NSXEE: Cover your ass and make a complaint to the owner, and do it in writing. You MUST resolve this issue and NOT let it slide. Someone MUST be found responsible for this wrecklessness

For those that feel the NSX is reliable...YES, it is reliable. However, we are talking about possible abuse which accelerates wear and tear parts and possibly affect the reliability of the NSX.

Just an example...imagine taking the NSX up to some area for driving which has loose gravel, rough and bumpy roads and heavily inclined paths. I've done this with my previous sports car. I had to work offsite at an unfamiliar location out in the countryside. The roads were so primitive that I had to travel at no more than 5 mph to avoid flying loose gravel and a headache. The road was so bumpy I almost threw up after arriving at my destination. No wonder the engineers that worked there all drive 4X4 trucks and SUVs.

translation:

loose gravel: rock chips, dings, scratches
rough and bumpy roads: suspension and tire wear
inclined paths: clutch (inexperienced manual driver), brake, tires

with improper driving and road conditions, the NSX's reliability can only go so far before something goes wrong.

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I'm not for letting the dealer off easy, but I also don't think it's going to be practical to have the dealer replace any and all components that could have been affected by abuse.

What if the joker who took it missed a shift? Then in addition to a new clutch, syncros, cv joints, diff you would be looking at an engine job.

If you're going to ask the dealer to replace any and all components then you might as well just get a lawyer up front, because the dealer will never agree to this.

A full and extensive warranty, IMHO, is not leaving the dealer off the hook. But it might make sense to at least talk to a lawyer if things go poorly with the dealership.

-Jim

Here again it helps to be able to distinguish between things that can be tested for and things that can't (without disassembly), and things that “break” vs. things that wear out. Although most people would worry about the engine first and foremost, it is very low on my list given a few simple tests. Just running the piss out of it for 170 miles is no big deal unless it was run hard from cold and even then the rev limiter is lowered somewhat. Damage to the engine from a missed up-shift or down-shift would already be apparent, and easily seen in simple tests. As I said before, this is admittedly unlikely and easily verified. If you can't find anything then odds are nothing bad happened to the engine. Even just a compression check is likely sufficient in this case since the primary concern is a bent valve.

I am going to have to throw a comment in here too...

this is soo wrong, and should never had happened. I hope you find out who the person is who decided to go on the "Joy-Ride" and get compensated for this to the point that you are satisfied.

Some of you may remember the Seinfield episode where jerry dropped his girlfriends toothbrush in the toilet by accident...
She finds out, and then returns the favor to jerry, only he has no clue what out of his bathroom she put in the toilet....

Maybe if you find out who the person is, maybe you should tell them that you are going to take there car for a 170 mile "Joy-Ride" and not tell them if ya missed a shift, or moneyshifted it a few times, took it doin doughnuts in their lawn... ya know get as much "Joy" outta their "Ride" as you feel...
wink.gif

be sure not to put gas in it also...

Seriously tho, dont stop until you personally are satisfied. It's your car, and you are the one who has to be satisfied...

Originally posted by RyRy210:
...I'm not at liberty to say which dealer it is (personal reasons).

I respect your desicion, but can't think of a logcal reason you won't divuldge the dealers name. I think it would only help you in the resolution of the matter.

If you are worried, or being threatend with a slander suit, I think you shouldn't be. Anyone remeber the VW owner who got into a spat with a Georgia VW dealer? That guy used the VW forum to his advantage, and the dealer had to make the wrong right.

[This message has been edited by KGP (edited 11 March 2003).]

For whatever reasons the dealer name cover up should be, I just hope that we don't see another similar incident occur during the negotiations. The longer the dealer's name goes unknown, the higher the chances of another joyride.

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I can. It gives him leverage during the negotiations.

I believe that would be called extortion.

Originally posted by KGP:
I believe that would be called extortion.

Nonsense.

Extortion is the use of force or intimidation as the primary means of obtaining money or property. In this case, the need for some sort of compensation to RyRy results from the misdeeds of the dealership and its personnel, not from any use of force or intimidation.

Nonsense.

Extortion is the use of force or intimidation as the primary means of obtaining money or property. In this case, the need for some sort of compensation to RyRy results from the misdeeds of the dealership and its personnel, not from any use of force or intimidation.

True. Plus, it's not that Ryan would be saying "pay up or I'll advertise this screwup the world over". It's more implicit in that, if they don't actually fix the problem to his satisfaction, he won't hesitate to let people know about it.

If the word is already out that dealer XYZ is no good, the damage is done and they have less incentive to fix the problem satisfactorily.

Well, though no names have been given, I'm sure most members that read this post will be avoiding dealers around his area (unless RyRy brings his NSX a few hundred miles away from his home for service)....there could be a bundle. I'm sure most NSXers will hold out until the storm resides.....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Originally posted by Blue Knight:
Well, though no names have been given, I'm sure most members that read this post will be avoiding dealers around his area (unless RyRy brings his NSX a few hundred miles away from his home for service)....

I don't know - with what, twenty or more Acura dealers in Southern California, that means a large number of dealers to avoid...

I don't know - with what, twenty or more Acura dealers in Southern California, that means a large number of dealers to avoid...

I know I won't be going to those dealers if I'm in the area....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

[This message has been edited by Blue Knight (edited 12 March 2003).]

Originally posted by Blue Knight:
I know I won't be going to those dealers if I'm in the area....

You have to look at it from the point of view of the dealer that Ryan is dealing with though. From their point of view, the chance to be able to have their name associated with a terrific resolution to an unfortunate incident rather than having their name associated with careless treatment of customer cars, is worth something.

If they are under the impression that you've already trumpeted how bad they are to the world, there's less of an incentive for them to try to protect their good name (it's too late basically).

Holding back on public disclosure until final resolution creates value in the public disclosure.

Call it what you want, but it’s only “leverage” if you exercise it. With not even a mention of what you “could” do they aren’t likely to give it much weight, which is to say it isn’t much leverage. If you do mention it then you antagonize them nearly as much as disclosing because it comes off as a threat. But there are other types of leverage. If antagonism doesn’t bother you then disclosing it actually gives you real leverage because they will have an incentive to make amends and have that publicized to prove that they aren’t dishonest or uncaring.

I’m not advocating that because I don’t know all the subtleties of the situation, but I don’t think giving up leverage is a particularly strong argument against disclosing. If it were me I would probably want to disclose, but ultimately chose to handle it the way RyRy210 has thus far. Whether or not I ultimately disclosed publicly would depend on multiple factors but even a very positive outcome would be no assurance of my silence. I see nothing wrong with later stating who it was and that they took all the right steps to resolve the problem. Then and only then can other consumers make an informed decision for themselves.

RyRy,
It's been 2 days since your last post. How did your visit go with the dealer? Have you been satisfied? So you found mud in your car? Does the undercarriage show that it has been driven through the mud? I would suspect that mud is associated with an unplanned offroad excursion? Glad I'm not in your shoes as I would probably be having a brain aneurysm as a result of my blood pressure going through the roof. NSXTACY has pointed out that giving the dealer a chance to make things right can be better than black listing them immediately. But if I was in your shoes, I would expect things to be made right very quickly. If you aren't satisfied yet with their dealing with this, I think a week is more than ample time for them to have taken appropriate action. Yes, your problem was likely caused by one bad apple, but if I had to wait a week for a resolution, I think the whole barrel is now rotten and I would never take my car back to that shop. Isn't it time to disclose who the bad dealership is?

Originally posted by nsx4fun:
I think a week is more than ample time for them to have taken appropriate action.

I agree - action against the employee(s) who perpetrated the misdeed, as well as action on RyRy's behalf to make amends...

Originally posted by nsx4fun:
NSXTACY has pointed out that giving the dealer a chance to make things right can be better than black listing them immediately.

It's nsxta<font color=red>s</font>y, dude.
wink.gif

The Acura web site lists the following dealers in the Los Angeles area:
Sierra Acura of Alhanbra
Downey Acura
Acura of Pasadena
Santa Monica Acura
Keyes Acura

It must be one of these. Anyone else in the L.A. area have experiences, good or bad, with these 5 dealers?

Back