Dealer put 170 miles on my car

You might also want to check around the various Honda/Acura forums. Maybe the guy that did it boasted about it, like the recent incident involving a Ford tech who took a customer's 2003 Mustang Cobra for a drive and then bragged about it online. In that particular incident, I believe he pushed the car well into the triple digit range, and was only caught because he made a joke about the owner's custom license plate.

I'm also inclined to believe that whoever drove your car probably put some hard miles on it, just to see what it is capable of. Who knows what wear & tear (or worse, internal damage) was done to the car? I would feel so violated. I don't really think there's anything the dealer can do (short of giving you a new car) that will make you feel completely better about the situation. My condolensces...

(A grim thought just occurred to me. What if it was RobSJ?)
eek.gif

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 06 March 2003).]

Originally posted by stevefromatl:
170 miles on a tank of gas? It doesn't sound like they got very good gas mileage.

No one said it was full when he dropped it off. If he dropped it off with half a tank, that would be about right.

At least they could have filled it back up for you. I can see how they may of thought that you wouldn't notice the mileage, but the gas would make it obvious.

Good point...

I'll echo DanO's comments. They must be dealt with severely, and even then your true loss is incalculable. Anyone who would do this and not even have the sense to put some gas in it should be presumed to have driven the crap out of it because it was their one big chance. You should take it to another dealer for a full inspection including alignment check, at the expense of the guilty dealer of course. I would even be tempted to insist on a fresh clutch given the way inexperienced joy-riders tend to abuse those. The synchros are another wear item that tend to take a beating in the hands of a novice out for a good time. How can they assure you that those were beat half to death?

I'm not surprised, or even appalled, just pissed. I have only twice left my car somewhere and only once overnight. Both times I logged the miles first. Not that my car is pristine, I just hate it when people get away with this stuff.

Good luck, and please consider going public with their name.

Originally posted by NSXNEV:
Sorry for what happened. Since you have confirmed that this was not a milage recording error, I feel that the ball is in yur court. I would first write a formal letter of complaint directly to Acura (Dealerships take this very seriously), another letter to the Better Business Bureau, and a third to the dealership itself informing them of the actions taken. This will make them more amenable to recompensating you for the service at least, and more importantly, make sure that this does not happen again. If you paid by credit card, I would call the service and dispute the charge until the matter is resolved to the extent to which you are happy. These folks should NOT be alowed to get away with this!

Some of the actions being suggested here might be appropriate for (a) a dealer where you don't expect to return and/or (b) a dealer who didn't try to work things out and make it up to you. Sounds like (a) may not be appropriate, and you don't know yet what you might work out with (b). I am not saying that they did no wrong, but give them a chance to make it right with you before going off half-cocked.

If this happened at the dealership where I go, and they offered (just for example) to credit me for half of an $800 service bill and made every effort to determine who did it, I might be satisfied enough to let it go. And in addition to a mileage sticky on the dash, I would make sure the car was very low on gas when I dropped it off for service there in the future...
wink.gif

I think once it's proven that the someone from the dealership is responsible, you should state the facts and disclose the name of the dealership, as I certainly will not want my car to be worked on by them. This can help many other so cal owners. And act as a warning to all dealers or shops in the future.

I had terrible service at Acura of New Orleans, but never any joy riding. There was however an incident a few years ago with the same dealership had an employee from the car wash section take an NSX on a joy ride and totalled it!! It was a 94 in pristine condition and the dealership had to give the customer a new NSX(a 98 at that time). They tried to just replace it with just another 94 and the customer got a lawyer. The dealership had no choice but to take the loss I guess. It took almost a year to complete though!

We all feel for you, man. You can be sure there's always comfort at the NSX prime
smile.gif

It sounds to me like it's most likely the sales guys. When I traded in my S2000 with the NSX at an Acura dealership, the sales guys were all drooling and kept an eye on my spa yellow pearl ride.

After I signed all the paperwork for the NSX and drove it off the lot, I headed on the freeway coming back home. I saw two maniacs pulling hard onto the freeway in a very familiar car....hey wait a minute, that's my S2000 or was my S2000. They drove the heck of it on the freeway going faster than me!!
I'm glad I traded it in instead of bringing my car there for service.....

I recognized the two guys as the sales guys that were drooling over my S2000....Not to mention this is an NSX. Heck, when I brought my NSX to a dealership a while back, the service girl was so happy just to ride in the passenger seat from the drop off area to the back parking lot to the actual service stations.

Sorry to give you such a bad image to think about, but I agree with some members here that you've got to get to the bottom of this. You don't know how they drove it and what parts were worn as a result (clutch, tires, etc....)

170 miles for some NSX owners are a few months worth of travel and pleasure.....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

[This message has been edited by Blue Knight (edited 06 March 2003).]

170 miles on a tank of gas? It doesn't sound like they got very good gas mileage. At least they could have filled it back up for you. I can see how they may of thought that you wouldn't notice the mileage, but the gas would make it obvious.

maybe they couldn't afford gas at the rate of today's 91 premium.....
smile.gif

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Originally posted by Blue Knight:
When I traded in my S2000 with the NSX at an Acura dealership, the sales guys were all drooling and kept an eye on my spa yellow pearl ride.

After I signed all the paperwork for the NSX and drove it off the lot, I headed on the freeway coming back home. I saw two maniacs pulling hard onto the freeway in a very familiar car....hey wait a minute, that's my S2000 or was my S2000. They drove the heck of it on the freeway going faster than me!!

I don't see anything wrong with that. At that point they were driving a car that belonged to the dealership, not a customer's car.
confused.gif

A couple years ago I loaned my NSX to SpeedLingerie for three days (in exchange for one of their nosemasks) since they needed to make a pattern for a pre '96 NSX. I was reluctant at first but since I had spoken with the owner and another rep that I already knew, I went for it. I did note the mileage. When I returned, there was only 2/10ths of a mile on it, basically to move it in and out of their garage stalls over the time it was there. I'm happy that my car was properly taken care of. It really reflects the image of the company.

[This message has been edited by Vytas (edited 06 March 2003).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I don't see anything wrong with that. At that point they were driving a car that belonged to the dealership, not a customer's car.
confused.gif

you're absolutely right.....in this case, there's nothing wrong with it for the fact that the car does not belong to me anymore.

however, my point is that sales guys don't give a S#*T about whose car it is and will stop at nothing to testdrive a car they like....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Another vote for letting them have it. This is wrong on so many levels.
You state you have a good relationship with this dealership. Sound's like you are about to find out how good it is.

Originally posted by snapper:
Another vote for letting them have it.

"These are not the actions of a dealer that is disarming. These are the actions of a dealer engaged in a willful charade. These are the actions of a dealer that systemically and deliberately is defying the NSX world.

If the world fails to confront the threat posed by the Acura dealer, refusing to use force even as a last resort, NSX owners would assume immense and unacceptable risks."

biggrin.gif

as a past dealer for Acura and Jaguar.. all milage and gas gauage reading and any exception body damage are logged on the work order when you bring it in for any work. even minor work.
when you pick up the vehicle, the same will be there, plus a few miles for test driving etc if the nature of the work required road testing. for example, checking for brake, alignment, hesitation etc. In your case, I believe your vehicle was taken out for JOY ride over the days when the car was at the dealer. As all customer cars are covered by the garage insurance policy, there is no real issue for the dealer personnel. In your case, it was used for running errands, or some management person taking the car home for pleasure.
If you really recorded the mileage as I don't think the dealership would play with either the trip meter or the odometer, you have a case for re-dress. Also the service advisor is playing DUMB. He knew well what happened to your car during the time it was at their premise. It istime to see the dealer principal, then your lawyers.
Good luck and just do not accept such as a minor offence. The Acura dealership is not professional in this instance. Report such to American Honda.

Maybe they test droved your NSX before you picked it up already man..

We all feel for you, man. You can be sure there's always comfort at the NSX prime
smile.gif

It sounds to me like it's most likely the sales guys. When I traded in my S2000 with the NSX at an Acura dealership, the sales guys were all drooling and kept an eye on my spa yellow pearl ride.

I recognized the two guys as the sales guys that were drooling over my S2000....Not to mention this is an NSX. Heck, when I brought my NSX to a dealership a while back, the service girl was so happy just to ride in the passenger seat from the drop off area to the back parking lot to the actual service stations.

Sorry to give you such a bad image to think about, but I agree with some members here that you've got to get to the bottom of this. You don't know how they drove it and what parts were worn as a result (clutch, tires, etc....)

170 miles for some NSX owners are a few months worth of travel and pleasure.....

smile.gif

I was thinking the same thing, you can easily bet your NSX was driven the same way by the same jokers before you got it.

Originally posted by ajnsx:
time for pre-emptive action eh nsxtasy?
wink.gif
stop it happening to other owners
frown.gif

My humorous (and plagiaristic) comments notwithstanding...

If the dealership does something to make it up to you - such as giving you a substantial amount of credit for service work - that would give them every incentive not to let it happen again.

And they should really try to investigate who did this. If it happened on a Sunday at a time when they were open, then someone on the premises was in charge of the dealership at that time, and can be held accountable.

Originally posted by pbassjo:
Really? Lawyers? For this?

You should seek legal counsel only as a last resort. And, this would be for a legal claim where the eventual damages are likely to be less than the initial consultation fee from an attorney.

Again, you still haven't heard what they might offer to make it up to you.

Originally posted by Hrant:
RyRy210, private me I have some recommendations for you.

Well, I still have not heard from you Ryan .... !!

Assuming that indeed there is way to verify the 170 miles, the solutions offered do not do much to me. Say for example the joy ride was done at full 8000 RPM every gear every shift, several clutch burning 1/4 miles at the Saturday night dragstrip, grinding downshifts ...... what $500 or $800 discount or free service would ease one's mind?

...... and I do have a better mouse trap!

RyRy210, I think you are being too nice to these guys. I wouldn't let some schmuck take my wife out for a joyride, and I would be going ballistic to know someone took my NSX out for one. I think you owe it to your local NSX community to warn them where not to take their babies for service.

I'm very sad to hear what happened.

A young tech at an SVT Ford dealership had a young woman come in complaining about hesitation on her Cobra. The tech ended up joy-riding and dragged another Cobra (owned by one of the other techs) on the freeway well past 100mph. The tech told the woman nothing was wrong and then boasted on a forum what he actually did.

Only, the woman was a part of the forum (not a very regular poster) and also a part of another (where she posts regularly and her friends filled her in on the tech's joy ride).

Needless to say, his head rolled and was fired and the dealership took it in the..

I would allow them to make plenty of amends. 170 miles, which you can prove, you will never truly know if they were mistreated miles or boulevard crusing miles.

Business is business. You'll have to be extra careful to watch your back everytime you go there, even for "make up" services, and that to me totally ruins the relationship and the experience, period unless most/all the employee's move on.

Thanks for the support everyone! Got some dental work done today and was unable to speak so I was pretty much put out of commission.

I don't want to give out the name of the dealer because I feel they are still making an effort to redeem themselves. I also doubt they will dare mess with another NSX owner after this fiasco. I agree that this act is totally inexcusable, and I want to find out exactly what happened and where my car was during those 170 miles. (I suspect it was a sandy area because an area of my front black spoiler was covered with white sand). This dealer has given me excellent service before and I can't help to think its just one bad apple that they desperately need to get rid of.

I do consider the service manager a friend so I don't want to do anything that I will regret unless its absolutely necessary. What I won't tolerate is to know that the person who took my car for a joyride is still working there. It gives me a sense of insecurity that I just can't deal with. The service manager promised he will do something about it, so I will call him tomorrow and ask him exactly what he has in mind.

Will keep you all updated.

Back