Why are NSXs so slow to sell?

Hey Guys,

I'd like to pose a question to the group here - why is it that these cars seem never to sell? I mean if they sell they sell very slowly, some have been on Market for a long time. What's the usual turn around for trying to sell and getting a buyer?

I'm not selling; actually I'm buying. It seems that just usual cars say 91 and 92s seem to sell the slowest? Why is that, other than they are the oldest with usually high miles. Otherwise if they are pure OEM they seem to sell faster. Especially low mile OEM early cars.

I just think that these cars are so good that it surprises me that the following is just so damn small. I mean unless you come to a site like this you just don't get the idea that anyone has one. I never see them on the road but maybe once or twice in 2 or 3 years - seriously.

They seem to be so rare and yet the info about them is really rich and it's got a great past but; Heck I don't know I'm just trying to figuer out the reason they don't sell fast or even at all?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim
Atlanta

any luxury item right now is hard to sell...Not alot of people want to buy a toy in this economy...simple as that.

This is a major luxury purchase for most people, so they are picky about what they buy. Given the choice between a stock car and a car with some questionable modifications, most people will pick the stock car. When you modify the NSX you potentially reduce an already small market. On top of that, some people have unrealistic expectations when they price their NSX. A low mileage stock car appeals to the widest audience, and appropriately priced will sell quite quickly. A highly modified NSX where the owner wants to recover even a fraction of the price they paid to modify it may never sell :D.

For most people buying a 91 NSX will require sustantial amount of cash. Not everyone has 20k-30k cash laying around ready to buy a 18 year old automobile that may need work. A lot of buyers will feel more comfortable buying a newer sports car for 20k-30k and likely to get bank financing. NSX is also for auto enthusiast. Only the die hard will want and buy the NSX. others will buy STi, Evo, 350z, S2000,etc. OTOH, a lot of older NSX are not in excellent condition and therefore much harder to sell due to needed repairs. I have seen some NSX needing $3000 in a/c repair and the seller just can't afford to fix it and it will be sitting on the market for a long time.

simple, its a luxury item. people tend to pay all cash for luxury items. most people in todays economic times have other pressing needs then a luxury car, most likely on the bottom of their need list.

For most people buying a 91 NSX will require sustantial amount of cash. Not everyone has 20k-30k cash laying around ready to buy a 18 year old automobile that may need work. A lot of buyers will feel more comfortable buying a newer sports car for 20k-30k and likely to get bank financing. NSX is also for auto enthusiast. Only the die hard will want and buy the NSX. others will buy STi, Evo, 350z, S2000,etc. OTOH, a lot of older NSX are not in excellent condition and therefore much harder to sell due to needed repairs. I have seen some NSX needing $3000 in a/c repair and the seller just can't afford to fix it and it will be sitting on the market for a long time.

Totally agree.
Matter of fact, mine is needing some engine work right now and I'm probably just going to sell it for a seriously low price just to move it so I can get something else.

Well take for example someone like me who will be in the market again for a NSX next year (probably shouldn't have sold my Imola but that's another story :frown:). I really want another +02 NSX. However, as the global economic crisis has been upon us its made me realize how the NSX is a true luxury. In times like these I'd rather buy a E46 M3 first that is more practical in the long run than a NSX (larger trunk, more space for guests, sporty, etc.) for less $ then maybe consider a NSX.

I don't think many people out there are willing to shell out for another luxury item at the moment when saving money or keeping your existing money in the bank is the smarter choice. Plus, if you think about it NSX's in model year ranges of 1991 to 1999 are 18 to 10 years old. Its alot of money to shell out for a car that old (minimum $30k including repairs to make the car up to date and reliable). Add on the fact that in order to secure one of these older models bank financing may not be available so now you are looking at cash buyers who are generally more value concious and won't neccessairly go for an NSX unless they really want one.

The problem the NSX has for any year, especially the 2002 to 2005 models is that they are now priced in the range of really nice used Ferrari's, Porsche's, BMW's, Lexus, and Mercedes where each are more modern and include many more creature comfort options and performance.

IMO...if I were looking at buying a 02 - 05 NSX at the moment I wouldn't pay more than $50k. I love the NSX but I just don't see it being worth more than that now. I'm not saying this as I'll be in the market but I'm saying this for the reasons posted above. I think many would agree. I've seen some 02's and up to 04's selling below $50k.

I'd like to post an outsider's perspective on this issue. First, I'm not sure if you refer to slower sales these days or more generally over the years? Economic turbulence aside, the NSX seems to me rather under-rated, probably because of the luke-warm press coverage the car received over the years in North America. The mainstream automotive press never seemed to appreciate Honda's engineering approach based on balance, precision and refinement rather than overwhelming brutality which had been the essential sales point in the whole supercar segment (and the center of media attention).

There could also be an issue with the automotive culture which is slowly changing, people nowadays lust over different kinds of cars than gearheads did 10 years ago. The definition of a performance car evolves, the flashy space ship design which had been the exclusive attire of the fastest supercars has been challenged by the boxy likes of the EVO, WRX and now GTR. In this sense, for a portion of the car crowd, the NSX may be one of the greatest specimens of its time but belongs to another era. Performance nowadays comes in a much different package, not everyone buys into this new trend however.

Of all, there is no doubt in my mind that the NSX will be the most valued of the mass produced oldschool supercars. Once the economic uncertainty clears, NSX sales will accelerate, and turnaround time will shorten.

Last edited:
Like the housing marked, now is the time to buy.
Bought mine the other day.
LOVE IT.

If you have the money I cant think of a better car for the WOW factor then the NSX.

IMO...if I were looking at buying a 02 - 05 NSX at the moment I wouldn't pay more than $50k. I love the NSX but I just don't see it being worth more than that now. I'm not saying this as I'll be in the market but I'm saying this for the reasons posted above. I think many would agree. I've seen some 02's and up to 04's selling below $50k.

When will the NSX hit the bottom and if so at what price? $25K myth is inevitable!!:wink::confused:

When will the NSX hit the bottom and if so at what price? $25K myth is inevitable!!:wink::confused:

I'm not going to speculate as to when the NSX will hit bottom. Alot of us thought the 91's and 92's would rest at $30k but now you are seeing them mid-20's to low 20's depending on condition. Could be current market related and only time will tell if they rebound when the economy improves.

no one has any money :biggrin: everyone is ghetto broke.

now the time to horde up on toys :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Like the housing marked, now is the time to buy.
Bought mine the other day.
LOVE IT.

If you have the money I cant think of a better car for the WOW factor then the NSX.

Exige has some wow factor :) and a handful of other cars i can think of. :smile:

Since there are so few buyers, it also allows those who are buying to really search for great deals. I got a '95 NSX-T with 103k miles from a dealer in Orange County for $25k. Turns out it was a single owner car with a bunch of the major maintenance items (timing belt, clutch, water pump, brakes) done within the last 15k miles. It was also all stock, which I wanted.

It seemed like a better deal than some of the heavily modded '91's on this site selling for 30k+. The deals are out there for the few buyers that are looking.

I really appreciate Bruckner's perspective and I really believe he's pin pointed the issue and the concept of "true value" that these cars represent.

I really think that the NSX is one of the finest motorcars ever built - period! It does everything really well. Does it have the same creature comforts as a Ferrari - I'd surely say it does. The AC on a McClaren ain't great from what I read - but then it's awfully fast. The Ford GT comes closest to being the lowest budget super fine exotic as there is out there and it's around 150 to 160K, talk about a heap of change! But it's awesome. So what's my point. For a whole lot less money you can get a car you can use as a daily that is equally at home on a track - kind of like the GT3. Just not quite as fast - maybe no blue tooth, no nav - I mean what do you need in a sports car as far as "creature comforts". There are still plenty enough in an NSX imho.

You see I came from an age of British cars like the "real" mini cooper, or MG, or Triumph and Jag and Austin Healey, no one could touch a DB9 or Ferrari and Porsche was building the 356.

So I've watched things change and modern speed the NSX has it and what else do you need - it's the best deal - most reliable- sports car ever made! It will be discovered.

Aside from the economic issues, NSX is appreciated among a small group of people and myself included. For the price that an NA1 is going for($20's to 30's), you have many choice like the M3, 911, Z which are all newer and updated. Not to say they are better or worse as each person has his/her preferences.

However, I am not sure if the NSX is selling any slower than others. I think a good deal (NSX) would get bought very quickly as they are getting harder to find.

Aside from the economic issues, NSX is appreciated among a small group of people and myself included. For the price that an NA1 is going for($20's to 30's), you have many choice like the M3, 911, Z which are all newer and updated. Not to say they are better or worse as each person has his/her preferences.

However, I am not sure if the NSX is selling any slower than others. I think a good deal (NSX) would get bought very quickly as they are getting harder to find.

+1, no problem selling any NSX, no hesitation for buyer if price is right!

Last edited:
It seems that just usual cars say 91 and 92s seem to sell the slowest? Why is that, other than they are the oldest with usually high miles. Otherwise if they are pure OEM they seem to sell faster. Especially low mile OEM early cars.

I just think that these cars are so good that it surprises me that the following is just so damn small. I mean unless you come to a site like this you just don't get the idea that anyone has one. I never see them on the road but maybe once or twice in 2 or 3 years - seriously.

They seem to be so rare and yet the info about them is really rich and it's got a great past but; Heck I don't know I'm just trying to figuer out the reason they don't sell fast or even at all?

I was willing to pay premium for a well cared for all original NSX.
I found a 91 with 29000 miles. The car is 100% orginal and in perfect condition with all maintenance up to date.

NSX's are kind of in that limbo state between being just desirable used cars and collectable classics. The most valuable cars in the future will be low-mile, completely original NA1 cars (esp. Zanardi's). Ones purchased today and driven minimally and left unmodified may well be investments. I think it will be a while before the rest of our frequently driven, modified cars increase in value. There are alot of 20-30 year olds w/ a penchant for Asian automobiles that may well push up the values of NSX's when they have alot more cash in their pockets 10-20 years from now. Look what my generation did to muscle car values...
meanwhile, enjoy the buyer's market if you are looking for an NSX.

To 92 NSX?
So what kind of engine problems are you having? What kind of miles do you have on the car? What's the color?

Just curious what it is that makes your car worth so little?

Hey Guys,

It seems that just usual cars say 91 and 92s seem to sell the slowest? Why is that, other than they are the oldest with usually high miles. Otherwise if they are pure OEM they seem to sell faster. Especially low mile OEM early cars.

Thanks,
Tim
Atlanta

Tim, seems like we are discussing the same subject on your other thread.... http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123251 :wink:

This thread is not about buying an NSX is about why they seem to sell so slowly or not at all. Different title and a different thread in my opinion. Threads do tend to degenerate though and go off on tangents. This one maybe doing that now. I'm trying to see if the guys here know what it is about the NSX that makes it so seemingly looked over by the general sports car community.

At least that was my intention when I started this thread.

Back