Why are NSXs so slow to sell?

Having owned a '96 with 47K miles, and now an '05 with 16K, I just think most people have not experienced the car, and tend to measure based on the cost versus HP, without ever knowing any better. I am fortunate enough to also have a '04 (996) C4S that I bought before finding my '05 NSX and love both cars, but prefer to drive the NSX....I have tracked both and plan on keeping the NSX:smile:

I'm trying to see if the guys here know what it is about the NSX that makes it so seemingly looked over by the general sports car community.

The car buying decision is very subjective, varies from one to another. It is a moot point in looking at it objectively or else we would all be driving the same cars.

It is very simple. You look at it, then test drive it. Buy it if you like it enough. That's it. Who cares about what others think.

It really does not make sense to dictate your buying decision by running it through 10 different scientific modeling.

As for me, I drove the NSX for the very first time in my life and bought it within the next few days.

Keep it simple... Life is short. :wink:

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I really appreciate Bruckner's perspective and I really believe he's pin pointed the issue and the concept of "true value" that these cars represent.

I really think that the NSX is one of the finest motorcars ever built - period! It does everything really well. Does it have the same creature comforts as a Ferrari - I'd surely say it does. The AC on a McClaren ain't great from what I read - but then it's awfully fast. The Ford GT comes closest to being the lowest budget super fine exotic as there is out there and it's around 150 to 160K, talk about a heap of change! But it's awesome. So what's my point. For a whole lot less money you can get a car you can use as a daily that is equally at home on a track - kind of like the GT3. Just not quite as fast - maybe no blue tooth, no nav - I mean what do you need in a sports car as far as "creature comforts". There are still plenty enough in an NSX imho.

You see I came from an age of British cars like the "real" mini cooper, or MG, or Triumph and Jag and Austin Healey, no one could touch a DB9 or Ferrari and Porsche was building the 356.

So I've watched things change and modern speed the NSX has it and what else do you need - it's the best deal - most reliable- sports car ever made! It will be discovered.

Well said.

The NSX is either unknown (99.9% of females, 80% of males), or is misperceived:

- Exotic mid engine car...must be unreliable, especially the older ones
- Toy... two seater with a small trunk. Why not get a 5 year old 911 for the same price?
- Expensive for the HP you get... Why not get a Porsche? (people don't understand the build quality)

BUT: The one thing I have noticed is that whenever I'm at a car dealership, and am of course asked if I want to trade in my 05 (I respond with a NO WAY NEVER), the salespeople always smile in a "I know what you mean" kind of way. So, there are a lot of car people out there that know how special the NSX is, they just for some reason don't buy one for themselves. :confused:

(I think I answered the question, and then re-opened it again haha)

There are alot of 20-30 year olds w/ a penchant for Asian automobiles that may well push up the values of NSX's when they have alot more cash in their pockets 10-20 years from now. Look what my generation did to muscle car values...

Well stated with the comparision to the current (last 2-3 years) of American Muscle. Time will tell.

I think that this is just a limited buyers pool who desire this vehicle. Why NSXs sell so slowly here is because you have a very educated buyers pool who lurk on this site and we know what OME cars and all modifications cost and some are not willing to pay the price that some ask as well as we are sort of vultures waiting for desperation to catch a deal!

The same person in the market for a $20K-$30K late model sports car like a Z, S2000, G35, EVO, IMHO, does not share the same desires as someone who really wants and NSX, thus making the pool smaller.

The NSX has held it's value FAR better than other sports cars. I have been searching around for another toy and taking my time. I looked at a 2003 360 Modena red/tan with under 6k miles that sold originally for OVER $160,000 that just sold in the mid 80's! This was a one owner car in the right color for a Ferrari (resale value) and just had the major service done which costs in excess of $6,000. Talk about a 1/2 price haricut. I am VERY close to purchasing an 04' GT3 that stickered at $120,000 that is in showroom condition with under 6,000 miles that can be bought in the mid 60's which makes it another 1/2 price propostion. This is also a one owener car an babied it's whole life.

Now let's compare these to the NSX and let's say a 2002+ model. You have a car that sold originally for $89,000 and IF you can find a perfect example with under 6,000 miles (again - IF you can find one) you will likely be paying in the $60,000 range for a 2002 and you will be paying even more for later examples. Now do the math and you will find that the NSX has held VERY, VERY well as far as prices go.

No doubt about them holding the value better than any other sports car I've ever seen. There are fewer of them but that doesn't really explain it. That actually keeps the buyers pool small too. Folks look at a 911 for 20 to 30 range - what do you get - if you're talking mid 30s you can get an 89 3.2 with low miles, you can get a 964 with medium miles and you could get a 993 with higher miles. Compare that to the NSX and see what you come up with as far as value - a bigger car perhaps but nothing will handle better than the NSX and it's as fast or faster than any of the above mention 911s and it's twice as reliable and much less maintenance costs. Without a doubt the best value in the sporty car world at the price point. You talk later NSXs with low miles then your talking later model 911s and then you may have an advantage on speed with the P car. No way it's as reliable or maintenance free.

None are selling unless they are scorching deals except for the real pristine OEM low milers. They will always sell no matter what.

I purchased my 04 NSX Black/Onyx with 23k miles February of this year. I had been in the market for several years and was looking for the great deal and I missed out on several beautiful nsx's since I wouldnt pull the trigger and tried negotiating. One thing I learned for sure is NSX owners don't (in my experience) negotiate. I finally bit the bullet, paid almost asking price and would do it again, maybe even pay more. The excitment, experiences and memories I have are invaluable (yes, in just a few months).

It's late and I'm rambling- Bottom line: I own 1 of the 18 Black/Onyx 2004 NSX's ever sent to the US. It is a rare breed that most will never experience. Will it sell fast or be worth much when i'm ready to sell? Honestly, I don't give a $#!^

I'd like to post an outsider's perspective on this issue. First, I'm not sure if you refer to slower sales these days or more generally over the years? Economic turbulence aside, the NSX seems to me rather under-rated, probably because of the luke-warm press coverage the car received over the years in North America. The mainstream automotive press never seemed to appreciate Honda's engineering approach based on balance, precision and refinement rather than overwhelming brutality which had been the essential sales point in the whole supercar segment (and the center of media attention).

There could also be an issue with the automotive culture which is slowly changing, people nowadays lust over different kinds of cars than gearheads did 10 years ago. The definition of a performance car evolves, the flashy space ship design which has been the exclusive attire of the fastest supercars has been challenged by the boxy likes of the EVO, WRX and now GTR. In this sense, for a portion of the car crowd, the NSX may be one of the greatest specimens of its time but belongs to another era. Performance nowadays comes in a much different package, not everyone buys into this new trend however.

Of all, there is no doubt in my mind that the NSX will be the most valued of the mass produced oldschool supercars. Once the economic uncertainty clears, NSX sales will accelerate, and turnaround time will shorten.

I couldn't agree more and I would echo your opinions word for word!

Besides today's economy, maybe it's the lag between the willingness to pay and the willingness to sell. Prices in Europe are high because most people simply don't want/have to sell it.
For a novice it's hard to justify $30+k for a 18 years old car they don't know how it drives. Ok, they don't know about the part prices and the maintainance at that time. :tongue: :D The more you drive the car the more you value it which results in high asking prices. If you don't have to sell it you just leave the price up there and learn how to recognize lowballers just on the phone. :D

So far, prices didn't come down by much in the US, it's still in the phase of cars being offered which would never have been offered in other economical circumstances. Maybe I'm wrong on this one. :wink:

This is a good thread. I have been in the market on and off for a year or so. There are plenty of 91-93's available in the low 20's now. I missed out on a Black/Ivory for 19,500. I couldn't convince my wife since it was a 4th car for us. It was solid shape but had 132k miles on it. Otherwise it ran pretty damn well. He wasn't on prime and didn't know that much about his car though.

My take on it is the economy is a buyer's choice. I have cash to pay for one but why spend a lot on an NSX when there are so many other cars out there that provide better value? I like the E46 M3 a little but since I have a Dinan 335i it seems to be a waste there. Porsches aren't bad but they all leak oil and seem like nightmares to fix. Most people don't get the reason to buy one of these cars anyway. They say, "What is the big deal with that car?" However, a lot of people think it is a Ferrari too since they have no clue about cars.

Here is another thing. I am well informed about the car so it depends on what you want. Do you want a Targa? Is weight a concern? If so 91-94 years are the best for the lowest weight. 95 and 96 years are the heaviest for the smallest engines. Do you want power steering? Half of them have it and half don't.

God forbid someone dings your car the body is made of aluminum. It is a bitch to fix. The NSX has some expensive parts to replace and fix so it isn't that cheap either.

I am personally looking at a 91-94 or a 97-99 with higher miles. I am also considering a C6 vette(maybe a Z06 now), Z-Mcoupe, and a few others.

This is a good time to buy a car since cash talks and people are still losing homes and having financial issues. I am just waiting it out for the right deal. I will probably take the NSX to the track a few times so I can see it on the curves at 80-90mph. That is my dream if I get one.

I couldn't agree more and I would echo your opinions word for word!

I'm glad my point of view strikes a chord, like I said this is an outsider's perspective, I got interested in the NSX only recently. It's very easy to give way to the media consensus, looking objectively into the NSX reveals that it's literally the industry's best kept secret. The inevitable consequence is that we have discussions about why the NSX doesn't sell faster.

Like most of us, I dig a one-night-stand with the lady called Ferrari, or even better a threesome with her friend Lamborghini, but I'm not sure I'd want to be intimate with them for more than a short time, I can see how the NSX can be a life-long relationship.

Time will tell whether the NSX claims its due credit, but there will always be discerning enthusiasts who appreciate the car for what it is, and that's what really matters.

Two biggest reasons in my opinion:

-Can't finance
-Much faster cars in a straight line for the money

That being said, I'm on my second and as soon as it sells will be getting a 3rd. I've had much faster cars (single turbo Supras, Z06, etc...) but nothing beats the feeling I have driving this car, listening to the somewhat exotic exhaust note and staring at it.

It's not just NSX's, I think it's all toys in general. Doesn't seem like fun cars are selling anywhere. There are some killer deals out there, even on rare cars that are severely underpriced...but they just aren't selling. I could get into my opinion on the economy but that's a whole other topic to discuss ;)

I don't doubt that "vegas" missed out on a black with 132k for below 20k - either that car had a bunch of deffered maintenance and most likely it did, or the owner was stupid. The NSX if properly maintained even with 132k miles is still worth in the low to mid 20s. I have seen very few like that in that price range.

No matter it was missed now he can find one that he'll pay more for. Bruckner has said it again. The best kept secret of the age. I totally agree with that.

I'm a car nut and I've always like the NSX, loved it's looks, when it first came out I thought it was the coolest car ever made, cause I knew it was going to be reliable. It just looked great, but it was damn expensive but no more so than a 964 Porsche. Which was also just coming out at that time, it started it's model run in 89 1/2 and ran to 94. It was a 70k car - so why did the Porsche get all the pub? Everyone here is extolling the virtues of handling and speed. I just talked to Ray, he's a primer with an 05 NSX and and 04 C4S. He says that even with 320 hp it's not any faster than the NSX - I think he said not as fast on the track - maybe top end - so who cares. Doubt if its faster top end but may get there a tad faster.

Folks there is a stigma attached to the NSX created by the magazine artical writers from what I see in the book on the NSX. "No one wants to pay that for a Honda"! That kind of thing - total crapola. "Easy to drive" comments make it sound like a fast Acura Legend or something. It never got the aclaim it deserved. Hence the best kept secret - and really that's fine. I'd rather have them all for the real enthusiast that finds out about them like I did. Does "real" research before they buy and then you start to get it. Get on a list like this and you start to get it.

Guys I'm going out to Houston on Sat. to see about a 91 and believe I'll not only buy the car but have my first drive in one!!! That's right - I'm probably going to buy this car and I've never driven one! That's how convinced I am about the "reason" for this car, the reason it's so important in the world of automotive engineering. It's the real deal and I'll drive it back via a mechanic to get it just right for the long haul. Then I'm going to drive the poo out of it. Well at least 4k a year. I don't drive anything a lot cause I live in town.

How many folks would do that! Not many - and I've owned a lot of cars over the years at 59. I have no fear buying the NSX. I found the car - it's no longer a secret to me!

How many folks would do that! Not many -

I actually did the same thing when I bought my first one.
I had a friend drive me 3 hours to meet the seller at night in another state to pick up the car.
I drove it home that night and loved it.
That car is since long gone though...........:frown:
hindsight...I should've kept that one.:redface:

To those that doubt me I have seen two sell for low 20's now. I didn't do a compression test or PPI but the car ran well with no CEL's and the car was kept pretty clean. Hell, even if it needed new tires and wheels it was still a steal. He didn't know sh*t about his car either. That was the main factor. However, you have to understand that lots of people right now are selling luxury items or even some necessities to avoid going Bankrupt. The world is messed up now. People are losing jobs and companies are folding so there are plenty of deals to be had but right now they aren't on prime.

I also should have bought a 97' with 119,000 miles a year ago. It could have been had for $28,500. It needed new brake pads and that was about it. That car I did check out and get a compression test done on.

Part of what makes me hesitant to pull the trigger are all the other cars that could be had for the same price. Why pay $30k for a 91-94 NSX with only 270hp in it? By today's standards it is just too slow for most people.

How many folks would do that!

I did as well. Bought my car sight unseen from halfway across the globe from a seller I had a good hunch on and thru detailed pictures.:biggrin: Never ever sat in a NSX prior or even drove one for that matter. I always promised myself that the first time I sat in one was when I'd had bought it! VICTORY!:biggrin:

Why pay $30k for a 91-94 NSX with only 270hp in it? By today's standards it is just too slow for most people.

I never use more than 100HP 90% of the time I am driving it. Unless you drive like a maniac and live in a booney town then you can use all 270HP without getting a ticket. The car is plenty fast as is.

Last edited:
...There could also be an issue with the automotive culture which is slowly changing, people nowadays lust over different kinds of cars than gearheads did 10 years ago... In this sense, for a portion of the car crowd, the NSX may be one of the greatest specimens of its time but belongs to another era...
Of all, there is no doubt in my mind that the NSX will be the most valued of the mass produced oldschool supercars. Once the economic uncertainty clears, NSX sales will accelerate, and turnaround time will shorten.
But I don't think that will bolster pricing. I didn't and would not buy one as an investment. For some of those reasons mentioned above, but mainly I believe prices will not rebound due to a lack of exposure. It's been out of production for 5 years now, no model visible in showrooms or being actively marketed and occasionally actually seen in person. How is the general population remain aware enough of the NSX to learn more and discover it? Yes, F&F, but how else? Pulp Fiction? NSX's Gone Wild? As a result the NSX will continue to sell slowly at the prices that NSX owners hope they will bring. Supply vs Demand.
I see other threads discussing the graying of NSX owners and I think it's as much "out of sight, out of mind" as economic. This will continue as fewer are aware of this fine car.
Buy them and please drive them and enjoy them. Get them out there, keep them visible and help support NSX values.

How many folks would do that! Not many -
I actually did the same thing when I bought my first one.
I did as well.
I did too, from a Primer in the classifieds. My son drove me to St. Louis in my company car (:biggrin:) and I drove it back to Cincinnati. Great trip and a great Primer.

I did as well. Bought my car sight unseen from halfway across the globe from a seller I had a good hunch on and thru detailed pictures.:biggrin: Never ever sat in a NSX prior or even drove one for that matter. I always promised myself that the first time I sat in one was when I'd had bought it! VICTORY!:biggrin:
I did the same.
Never sat in one until this one. Bought it from Chicago. Used a broker to import it to Canada, used 250 pictures to detail it, someone I new test drove it. delivered to my driveway.
The first time I sat in it was to drive it off the truck on to a flat bed tow truck.

If you think NSXs are slow to sell, take a look on autotrader to see how many Ferrari's there are for sale. 20:1 ratio Ferrari to NSX.

Last edited:
Part of what makes me hesitant to pull the trigger are all the other cars that could be had for the same price. Why pay $30k for a 91-94 NSX with only 270hp in it? By today's standards it is just too slow for most people.

Bingo! We have a winner. On top of that add that newer cars are also reliable, may come with a warranty and can most likely be financed.

Back