Why are NSXs so slow to sell?

Just some thoughts:
- seller still thinks the car is worth what it was 2 years ago and/or the current market price makes 'em seriously upside down.
- seller bought the car on looks alone and now there are more informed buyers who want records.
- sellers think their low mileage car is new and command a new price.
- buyers are looking for no stories cars and there ain't many out there.
- the economy is definitely playing a role.
- brand = say Porsche, Ferrari and then say Acura NSX huh!!
- NSX is a toy and weekend cruiser for many. Back to the economy.

Bingo! We have a winner. On top of that add that newer cars are also reliable, may come with a warranty and can most likely be financed.

Good point. However let me ask, what car do you have in mind? Seems to me for 30K$ the NSX is a hard to beat proposition.

I agree with above poster, considering a car as anything else than a consumable is unhealthy investment strategy.

We have seen many memorable 1960s and 1970s cars appreciating lately, perhaps because today's wealthy baby boomers want to make peace with their youth (i.e buy that car only the school's bad boy could afford back then, the one who got all the girls?). For different reasons (technical rather than symbolic) I believe the NSX will one day be re-discovered, and good examples will be prized. Build quality and accomplished engineering reveal themselves over time and survive flavor-of-the-day hype. Exotics come and go, the NSX has what it needs to be a classic. I suspect keeping up your average 355 will be a very costly affair 10 years from now, we know the NSX will hold up nicely, testimony to the fact it is the polished car very few exotics are.

Regards,
Bruckner

Last edited:
let's see...$30,000+ for a decent one that's 17 or 18 years old, and can't keep up with the new Z, or Evo, or STi from stoplight to stoplight and so on. Mandatory days off with no pay. Employed today, jobless tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and I didn't even flinch when I baught my Berlina Black 1992 but it's because for one, I always wanted one, and two, if it didn't have half the the shit it came with, it wouldn't be sitting my driveway right now. So I can see why people are hesitant to drop $$$$$ for one....

let's see...$30,000+ for a decent one that's 17 or 18 years old, and can't keep up with the new Z, or Evo, or STi from stoplight to stoplight and so on. Mandatory days off with no pay. Employed today, jobless tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and I didn't even flinch when I baught my Berlina Black 1992 but it's because for one, I always wanted one, and two, if it didn't have half the the shit it came with, it wouldn't be sitting my driveway right now. So I can see why people are hesitant to drop $$$$$ for one....

Well said. The NSX is a wonderful car, but appreciated by a smaller audience. Early Porsche 993's are sinking into the mid to upper 20's, comparable if not faster than the early NSX (though totally different experience). Plus the cachet, probably appeals to a greater audience. 996 Turbos are in the 40's. 996 GT3's are creeping into the 40's low 50's. 997's are in the upper 40's. Early NSX's are quite old, which makes financing significantly more difficult. You have to be specifically looking for what the NSX has to offer over the other cars, and the general buyer in the sports car market are not that savvy or picky. They'll go for name, and in that case it's Acura vs. Porsche.

porsche sells 3x the amount of cars a year than total number of nsx's made- they are as common as corvettes.
lastly, anyone fretting about buying a car with 'only' 270hp hasn't clearly really driven one or should be in a market for a mustang gt. nsx is a car for drivers not 1/4 mile slingshot pullers.

"well yer see, I here just mash this here gas pedal whenevers I wants and gooooo!"

let's see...$30,000+ for a decent one that's 17 or 18 years old, and can't keep up with the new Z, or Evo, or STi from stoplight to stoplight and so on...
Early [NA] Porsche 993's are sinking into the mid to upper 20's... faster than the early NSX...
Just for the record, I don't agree w/ either of those statements.

I think there are a lot of individuals out there that don't know how to properly drive (let alone, an NSX). Sincere & honest to goodness truth that this is not directed at anyone in particular at all whatsoever!

Just my 2-pence, which are worth more than other's 2-cents... :D

Last edited:
270hp is slow by my standards considering I have a BMW 335i that has roughly 420hp at crank and 440 ft-lbs of torque at the crank. You get used to faster cars and then you drive an NSX. Guess what, it feels slow by comparison. That is okay since it is older(except the 2002-2005) It is a good track car for road courses but I don't think most of the people on here have even done that. If you have tracked the car than you know how it really performs. Driving the NSX on the street honestly doesn't tell you very much about the car.

The NSX is underpowered by today's standards. It just is. 0-60 in 5.3 seconds used to be a great thing. Now it is common by most sports sedans.

The car is welll balanced, lightweight, midengined, limited production and has a great look to it. Those are the positives I see to it right now. It was an engineering marvel for its time. However it is getting old and they didn't make dramatic changes from 1991-2005. That makes a 91 very close to a 2005 even though they are 14 years apart. You either want a targa roof, 6 speed, 3.2L or newer front of the car. That is what seperates them.

The new vettes look very nice and they are light as well. Get a Z06 and they have aluminum bodies. A Z06 with Drag Radials can do 10 second runs in the 1/4 mile and fast times at Spring Mountain Raceway too. I can buy a used 2007 vette with 31k miles on it for $27,500 right now with 400hp. Now why should I buy the NSX with 270hp, has no warranty and is 18 years old? That is what every buyer is thinking about now. To those of the people selling their 1991 NSX cars, consider that.

People say, "Go drive one and you will come home with it!" I have driven a few and I can't say that it is the "Perfect" drive. It is nice but not perfect by any means. I think a lot people get emotion wrapped up in their decision and can't think about it without bias. So many people wanted this car all their lives and now they have a chance to own one.

Last edited:
Re: "well yer see, I here just mash this here gas pedal whenevers I wants and gooooo!

Just for the record, I don't agree w/ either of those statements.

I think there are a lot of individuals out there that don't know how to properly drive (let alone, an NSX). Sincere & honest to goodness truth that this is not directed at anyone in particular at all whatsoever!

Just my 2-pence, which are worth more than other's 2-cents... :D

Very true - I guess my meaning was oriented toward magazine stats. I don't adhere to them but the general public will read them and see:

Porsche 993: 1/4 mile in 13.6
Acura NSX: 1/4 mile in 14.0

Not saying that tells anything meaningful, but just illustrating how the Porsche name, perception of Porsche performance (how's that for alliteration), and lack of knowledge of the NSX contribute to a slower market for the NSX.

That being said you might get less tire kickers for an NSX.

right'o...

Very true - I guess my meaning was oriented toward magazine stats. I don't adhere to them but the general public will read them and see:

Porsche 993: 1/4 mile in 13.6
Acura NSX: 1/4 mile in 14.0

Not saying that tells anything meaningful, but just illustrating how the Porsche name, perception of Porsche performance (how's that for alliteration), and lack of knowledge of the NSX contribute to a slower market for the NSX.

That being said you might get less tire kickers for an NSX.
Very well said, my friend.

FWIW, from over the years, I find the following figures to be most apt for a stock NA1 5spd. NSX:

0-60mph: 5.1 sec - 5.2 sec
1/4mi: 13.65 sec - 13.75 sec

(obviously there may be slightly better & slightly worse numbers, which I exclude as every good scientist should, lolz!)

Going by those values, which are unarguable (IMVHO) unless the driver is a b00b, a stock NA1 5spd. NSX is a very capable performer even today.

Not a benchmark in terms of speed/quickness, but a plenty good still. And, worthwhile to mention that swapping for after-market H/E & suspension, as well as the resulting basic weight-reduction (savings from lighter aforementioned replacements, spare-tire/tools removal, etc') will put the NA1 5spd. NSX on par w/ the NA2 6spd. NSX (0-60mph: 4.6 sec - 4.7 sec). This is the sweet-spot for me in terms of a balance between precise handling & usable performance. . .

(not to say other lil' NA/gearbox goodies aren't fun... :p)

Last edited:
Guys, I think emotion plays a huge part in anyones mind that is considering any sports car- period. It doesn't matter if it's slower than a Vette or not - hence the reason people buy 70s Porsches it's all about a certain look or feel that is numbed down in today's modern Porsches.

The fact that a Vette will blow the doors off of an NSX or a 70s model 911 and most later ones too for that matter means nothing really to anyone that is buying whatever it is they want. Nothing really deters someone that has their mind made up about a particular car or model.

The relative obscurity of the NSX will always be the main issue until by some magic that it is "rediscovered". That should happen, whether that converts into dollars well I think one guy said somthing that makes sense. Get out there and drive and be seen and talk the cars up - nothing like that to get others on the band wagon. We do have to do our part for success I'd say.

Porshces will always have a following because of the marque and it's own particular history and the fact that there are bunches on the road means people see them, like them and consequently want them. You don't see em you forget about em. Out of sight out of mind.

Hell I had to remind myself of them. The world is not going to discover these cars if we keep em hid in our garrages - plain and simple.

The idea that an EVO or STI will compete with an NSX - who gives a damn - unless you are a younger type guy that listens to ads. They aren't the kind that buy this car and if they do they've had a friend that told them about it.

The people that keep marques alive are the guys that have the means not the guys that struggle to own anything. That modify everything. Porsches that are modified have had their real value dropped considerably. Remember that - it's not about raw speed - making the NSX as fast as a Vette- hell no- it's about preserving the car the way it was originally designed and sold and that's always been the way that cars hold their value - simple as that. Sure there are some that will pay for those mods or a "clone" of something like the 73RS Porsche or an NSX R, but for everyone of those that doesn't sell the real ones always do. Remember that. So who gives a damn if a Subaru is "faster" - it's a 4 door 4 seater and it's not a true sports car - its a damn sports sedan - let's try and stay apples to apples here.

There are really very few cars like the NSX - the Cayman comes closest in modern times or perhaps the a Lotus or Boxser or something and none come close to offering what the NSX does. It is unique and it set the pace.

I'll be able to talk a lot more emphatically after this weekend. I'll fill everyone in then.

The 0-60 times don't really hold any credibility to how much my NSX is worth or how fast it would sell......that said, I was the original owner of Zanardi #17 - did a complete Comptech Supercharger, headers, exhaust package before it left the dealership - I know a little bit about what a quick NSX feels like (and costs).

I don't drive my current '05 much, but today took it out for exercise - as usual the camera phones on the road and at stoplights got good work outs.

Never happened with my former 911S, S2000, 500E, Corvette, Audi Turbo Quattro Coupe, S4 Avant, etc etc etc

I've had 5 NSX's from new since 1994 and nothing compares for my money. Why don't they sell quicker?
Either you have the funds or you don't regardless if you're looking at a '91 or '05 - many don't right now.

Is it really a key factor to purchase a car because it is .25 of a second faster based on the stats from the magazine or it has 50+ more hp because of mods?

One can drop a built V8 into an old clunker and out dragged all the high priced cars (BMW, Porsche etc.) out there in 1/4. Does it make the high priced cars less desirable? I think NOT.

I have my car for a few years and have never raced it, not once. Will I take a C6, Z, BMW (maybe the new M3 coupe or the C4S) over it.... Not a chance.

Bottom line, you can't make the buying decision because the magazine said it is .25 sec faster or it has 50 more hp...

just my 2 cents.

The idea that an EVO or STI will compete with an NSX - who gives a damn - unless you are a younger type guy that listens to ads. They aren't the kind that buy this car and if they do they've had a friend that told them about it.

The people that keep marques alive are the guys that have the means not the guys that struggle to own anything. That modify everything. Porsches that are modified have had their real value dropped considerably. Remember that - it's not about raw speed - making the NSX as fast as a Vette- hell no- it's about preserving the car the way it was originally designed and sold and that's always been the way that cars hold their value - simple as that. Sure there are some that will pay for those mods or a "clone" of something like the 73RS Porsche or an NSX R, but for everyone of those that doesn't sell the real ones always do. Remember that. So who gives a damn if a Subaru is "faster" - it's a 4 door 4 seater and it's not a true sports car - its a damn sports sedan - let's try and stay apples to apples here.

I strongly disagree with both of these statements. Are you saying that a highly modified 993 Turbo is worth less than a non modified 993 Turbo of equal condition? Because that would be wrong and I have all the "For Sale" advertisements to back it up. Even minor mods like changing the suspension to the euro spec or PSS9's increase the value. Of course they don't increase the value by the total amount invested but the value is increased non the less. And I'm not comparing clones either because that argument is nonsensical. Of course a 993 GT2 Clone isn't going to sell for the same price as a real GT2. However, a GT2 clone will sell for more than the regular unmodified 911 that it was based upon. For further proof, I own a 968 Turbo that was modified by Kelly Moss Racing and was in Excellence magazine. A stock 1994 968 sells for $15k on the high end. I can get $40k for my car no problem.

In regards to your "modify everything" part the truth is that the guys who modify everything are usually the guys with the money to do so. If it breaks they can afford to fix it. It's usually the underfunded that are too scared to modify their cars.

As for the EVO's and Subies - they have a very strong, cult like following too. They are performance cars - 4 doors or not and will outperform a stock NSX. It's only natural that as cars improve the NSX performance benchmark is going to be eclipsed. As a further point, what does it say when a lowly modern sports sedan can blow the doors off your old supercar? Do you think that it might affect your ability to sell your car? I do.

And yes for some of us it is about "raw speed" and "performance" - otherwise we would just be product shills for whatever the flavor of the month is. Besides, what is the purpose of owning a sports car besides "raw speed" and "performance"? Those are the benchmarks used to judge these cars. I know you rave about "reliability" but having reliability in a high performance car is just a bonus and shouldn't be the main reason for buying one. A Toyota Camry is super reliable but I don't think it's too high on the list of cars wanted by the sports car enthusiast.

No offense, but you sound like those Porsche guys who are too blinded by the brand that they can't see the faults in the cars they drive nor can they give cars like the Nissan GTR it's due credit. Yesterday you were a Porsche fan, today it's an Acura and tomorrow it will be something different. You jumped on the NSX bandwagon because you were having reliability problems with your Porsche. Fair enough. But that shouldn't blind you into thinking that the NSX is the end all, be all of sports cars.

Last edited:
270hp is slow by my standards considering I have a BMW 335i that has roughly 420hp at crank and 440 ft-lbs of torque at the crank. You get used to faster cars and then you drive an NSX. Guess what, it feels slow by comparison. That is okay since it is older(except the 2002-2005) It is a good track car for road courses but I don't think most of the people on here have even done that. If you have tracked the car than you know how it really performs. Driving the NSX on the street honestly doesn't tell you very much about the car.

The NSX is underpowered by today's standards. It just is. 0-60 in 5.3 seconds used to be a great thing. Now it is common by most sports sedans.

The car is welll balanced, lightweight, midengined, limited production and has a great look to it. Those are the positives I see to it right now. It was an engineering marvel for its time. However it is getting old and they didn't make dramatic changes from 1991-2005. That makes a 91 very close to a 2005 even though they are 14 years apart. You either want a targa roof, 6 speed, 3.2L or newer front of the car. That is what seperates them.

The new vettes look very nice and they are light as well. Get a Z06 and they have aluminum bodies. A Z06 with Drag Radials can do 10 second runs in the 1/4 mile and fast times at Spring Mountain Raceway too. I can buy a used 2007 vette with 31k miles on it for $27,500 right now with 400hp. Now why should I buy the NSX with 270hp, has no warranty and is 18 years old? That is what every buyer is thinking about now. To those of the people selling their 1991 NSX cars, consider that.

People say, "Go drive one and you will come home with it!" I have driven a few and I can't say that it is the "Perfect" drive. It is nice but not perfect by any means. I think a lot people get emotion wrapped up in their decision and can't think about it without bias. So many people wanted this car all their lives and now they have a chance to own one.

It's not always about straight line speed... Vette's, Porsche and especially BMW's are all "dime a dozen" here in So Cal...The NSX on the other hand is a rare bird that still turns heads after all these years...

Besides the NSX wasn't designed to run in a straight line.:biggrin:

It's not always about straight line speed... Vette's, Porsche and especially BMW's are all "dime a dozen" here in So Cal...The NSX on the other hand is a rare bird that still turns heads after all these years...

Besides the NSX wasn't designed to run in a straight line.:biggrin:

You don't see too many Ford Pinto's any more either. Why not get one of them if rarity is such a big deal? :wink:

Well, you have to compare Apples to Apples. You had stated that you currently have a 335i that has a 420hp? A standard 335i only have 300hp. That means you did modification to your 335i. If you want to go there, why don't you compare with other modified NSX? FYI, there are several 1000+ HP NSX out there and why don't you compare your 420hp 335i with?

My point is not to knock you, but to simply asking you to compare stock vs stock. In fact, just the other day, a brand new M5 came out of nowhere and pushing me for a little spirited drive. We started around 45MPH each going up Crenshaw Blvd in PV. For those of you don't know, it is a fairly steep uphill and winding road. I just drop to 2nd and than 3rd with full-throttle. He tried his best to get past me but he couldn't pull away at all. By the time we reach top of the hill, it was a virtual tie. I am sure if we had started from stop, then, he would've probably blown me away. However, while both cars are in motion, NSX is amazingly fast and agile.

Anyway, that is my .02.:eek:

My point wasn't to say "my car is faster than yours" You guys are getting too emotional in all this and missing it. Hell, I am shopping for an NSX as we speak. I know it is not meant for straight line speed. I know it handles well. I got to the track and that is where I would drive it 4x a year.

I am personally going after an NSX because I like the design, it handles great and it still holds its value pretty well considering its age. The last one is important since cars are horrible assets to buy. A vette will drop in value a good amount every few years. The NSX won't really.

There are plenty of positives to the NSX. Straightline speed is not one of them. Don't get all worked up over it. Yes, my car is modified but it was a hell of a lot cheaper to mod my car than it would be to mod your NSX. A tune can get you 100hp and 120 ft*lbs of torque on a TT 6 cylinder 335i. Why buy an M3 with a V8 when you have more power under the curve with that car? I also like cars with torque now. It is nice to break the tires loose and go crazy once in awhile. You can't do that with most Japanese cars like S2000's or an NSX.

My friend in Las Vegas has an extremely fast NSX with a turbo kit from Factor X racing. I was originally going to do the same but after buying the car and moding the engine I would have spent more than my brand new BMW with a warranty(and then some)

Everyone has their own taste in cars. I like the NSX. You guys don't seem to read that since all you see is 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. Yes, there is more to the car than that but it sure feels good to haul ass in a straight line.

BTW, I don't believe there are that many 1000+hp NSX cars. I think that was an overstatement. I know of 2 of them. Factor X doesn't even make one.

Last edited:
After driving an NSX for 800 miles on Saturday I believe I finally have some first hand knowledge about how they drive. It's faster than my 993 was or every bit as fast. It's not a GT car - which is what I think the 911 is, but that's another debate. But it does have 4 seats.

The car is a 91 sebring silver with 41 now 42k miles on it. It's got a great interior and exterior and it has nice wheels and Eibach springs. I think the ride is nice but perhaps a bit harsh for street driiving and it's lowered 1" which with the later model valence is too low for speed bumps, steep driveways and conditions like that but it handles very well but when you hit a bump in the road you definintely cringe. It's an awesome car and the view out the windshield is like no other. The Porsche is still nice as far as sitting inside with great visability but the NSX is better.

I really want to speak to some of this modifying stuff and what the does to value. Look on any site or where cars are for sale and Porsches or NSXs or any other nice exotic is going to sell easier and faster all stock and UN modified. In the world of Porsche there are those the modify the car and they never get the prices the stock ones get. Yes I mean turbos or GT2s or cars that are modified to resemble a GT2 or an NSX-R.

Let's just take an NSX-R clone for an example - that will in no way be as valuable as the real thing. It will most likely not even be any more valuable or possibly as valuable as the stock platform fully restored to OEM. You don't have to take my word for it - if you watch the market you'll find I'm right. Very rarely do folks that mod their cars get the value of the mods - rarely. Matter of fact when you do that you have just cut your market share down to such a small group your are going to most likely wait a lonnnnng time to find that "right" buyer and that's for sure.

So unless one of you guys on the list has a personal experience to the contrary then it's conjecture that this mod thing in gonna bring you any big dollars - it won't unless you find just that "right" person - not good odds right now. Most folks that are looking for these cars won't even consider a highly moded car. They'll open the ad and start seeing a list of mods and they'll close the ad and go to the next one. You see to the let's say more conservative owner a moded car means something or sends up a flare - "how was this car driven" like a bat out of hell!!!! Yeah, I want that one, right, when one unmodified is going for less money and if I want I can make my own mods, but at least the indicators are there that the car hasn't been ridden hard and put up wet. That's the way most folks are, not all, but most. You supercharge a car and try and sell it to someone besides you good buddy that knows you and you'll find out real quick how fast it'll sell. If it sells it won't be for what you have in it.

However if you take a car like the one I just bought that has a few mods like a set of comptech headers, which I didn't pay any extra for by the way, and a later model exhaust and wheels 16 and 17s, also didn't pay any extra for that - it was a 91 with 42k miles on it. The miles make the car more valuable, but if I start keeping all the service up to date, replacing the stuff that needs replacing with OEM stuff then I will be improving it's value and may get some of that back if I ever sold it but not for non stock mods!

By the way, I don't give a rats A$$ whether a Subaru or Evo is faster than my car - not one bit - cause guess whose car folks look at in the parking lot with them all parked together - not the WRX or Evo, they'll be wondering what the hell this is - the NSX. They'll look at it and say damn that's cool - don't see many of those! It's not all about speed to most older folks - it's about making sure they're NSX is totally kept up to top notch standards of repair. That keeps the value high, that and low miles but you gotta drive your car or what's the point.

But really what I'm was impressed with other than the fact that all I needed was one or two fingers on the wheel to guide it along the freeway, was how powerful the car is in stock form or almost stock form. It's fast and I don't know where you'd ever test the limits on the street anyway. Unless your tracking where would anyone use all that "impressive" super charged speed? I don't drag race Corvettes or Lambos or Porsches, actually Porsche books tell you that the car isn't meant to be tested so much like that being hard on the tranny and clutch and other expensive parts, so what do you do with all that "extra" power? It's enough for me to look out over those great fenders angled in like some super tech cool car - it's awesome. The car is so far ahead of it's time that it's still modern and mine is now 18 years old. There is nothing still on the market other than those little Lotuses that really is any more modern and nothing is any faster for the price I paid. Unless you want an American muscle car with big V8 straight line power and the last time I checked that's not what sports car owners want with the NSX.

I sure am happy to have one and it looks new and the interior is really nice and the seats didn't start getting a little uncomfy untill I was in the car for 12 hours but that was my butt getting tired not the fault of the car seats. I'm having a mechanic of very high standing, Larry B knows him, work on the car to get it just right. Might as well buy a used one a little cheap cause you'll end up spending some pretty substantial bucks on the car. TB/WP/fluids/axel boots/exp. tank/valves adj./master/slave/clutch/etc.

Don't think that you can just buy an 18 year old car and not have some things to do - be prepared. But once that all gets done - it will be really super ready and I'll have about 33 in the car but it will be really set up.

Anyone have any advice for me on shocks or clutch type?

Thanks guys

Let me ask the peanut gallery this question.

If you have an NSX would you go out and rent a Corvette? Vs, if you have a Corvette would you go out and rent an NSX?

I don't think for a second one of us would rent a Corvette. A 360 Modena or Gallardo, possibly. This just goes to show the category that NSX is placed in when being compared to Evo's, Sti's, (Che)Vette's, etc...

Last edited:
IF I pulled up to a stop light with a BMW or EVO (EVO?)LOL. NO one would know the BMW was there. I did not want a sheep car. Thats why I bought the NSX. Does not matter how old it is. I have had very fast cars. NONE were as fun as this one or attracted as much attention just being parked. New Vettes are nice but they are EVERYWHERE just like BMWs and many other cars. :biggrin:

Last edited:
After driving an NSX for 800 miles on Saturday I believe I finally have some first hand knowledge about how they drive. It's faster than my 993 was or every bit as fast. It's not a GT car - which is what I think the 911 is, but that's another debate. But it does have 4 seats.

The car is a 91 sebring silver with 41 now 42k miles on it. It's got a great interior and exterior and it has nice wheels and Eibach springs. I think the ride is nice but perhaps a bit harsh for street driiving and it's lowered 1" which with the later model valence is too low for speed bumps, steep driveways and conditions like that but it handles very well but when you hit a bump in the road you definintely cringe. It's an awesome car and the view out the windshield is like no other. The Porsche is still nice as far as sitting inside with great visability but the NSX is better.

I really want to speak to some of this modifying stuff and what the does to value. Look on any site or where cars are for sale and Porsches or NSXs or any other nice exotic is going to sell easier and faster all stock and UN modified. In the world of Porsche there are those the modify the car and they never get the prices the stock ones get. Yes I mean turbos or GT2s or cars that are modified to resemble a GT2 or an NSX-R.

Let's just take an NSX-R clone for an example - that will in no way be as valuable as the real thing. It will most likely not even be any more valuable or possibly as valuable as the stock platform fully restored to OEM. You don't have to take my word for it - if you watch the market you'll find I'm right. Very rarely do folks that mod their cars get the value of the mods - rarely. Matter of fact when you do that you have just cut your market share down to such a small group your are going to most likely wait a lonnnnng time to find that "right" buyer and that's for sure.

So unless one of you guys on the list has a personal experience to the contrary then it's conjecture that this mod thing in gonna bring you any big dollars - it won't unless you find just that "right" person - not good odds right now. Most folks that are looking for these cars won't even consider a highly moded car. They'll open the ad and start seeing a list of mods and they'll close the ad and go to the next one. You see to the let's say more conservative owner a moded car means something or sends up a flare - "how was this car driven" like a bat out of hell!!!! Yeah, I want that one, right, when one unmodified is going for less money and if I want I can make my own mods, but at least the indicators are there that the car hasn't been ridden hard and put up wet. That's the way most folks are, not all, but most. You supercharge a car and try and sell it to someone besides you good buddy that knows you and you'll find out real quick how fast it'll sell. If it sells it won't be for what you have in it.

However if you take a car like the one I just bought that has a few mods like a set of comptech headers, which I didn't pay any extra for by the way, and a later model exhaust and wheels 16 and 17s, also didn't pay any extra for that - it was a 91 with 42k miles on it. The miles make the car more valuable, but if I start keeping all the service up to date, replacing the stuff that needs replacing with OEM stuff then I will be improving it's value and may get some of that back if I ever sold it but not for non stock mods!

By the way, I don't give a rats A$$ whether a Subaru or Evo is faster than my car - not one bit - cause guess whose car folks look at in the parking lot with them all parked together - not the WRX or Evo, they'll be wondering what the hell this is - the NSX. They'll look at it and say damn that's cool - don't see many of those! It's not all about speed to most older folks - it's about making sure they're NSX is totally kept up to top notch standards of repair. That keeps the value high, that and low miles but you gotta drive your car or what's the point.

But really what I'm was impressed with other than the fact that all I needed was one or two fingers on the wheel to guide it along the freeway, was how powerful the car is in stock form or almost stock form. It's fast and I don't know where you'd ever test the limits on the street anyway. Unless your tracking where would anyone use all that "impressive" super charged speed? I don't drag race Corvettes or Lambos or Porsches, actually Porsche books tell you that the car isn't meant to be tested so much like that being hard on the tranny and clutch and other expensive parts, so what do you do with all that "extra" power? It's enough for me to look out over those great fenders angled in like some super tech cool car - it's awesome. The car is so far ahead of it's time that it's still modern and mine is now 18 years old. There is nothing still on the market other than those little Lotuses that really is any more modern and nothing is any faster for the price I paid. Unless you want an American muscle car with big V8 straight line power and the last time I checked that's not what sports car owners want with the NSX.

I sure am happy to have one and it looks new and the interior is really nice and the seats didn't start getting a little uncomfy untill I was in the car for 12 hours but that was my butt getting tired not the fault of the car seats. I'm having a mechanic of very high standing, Larry B knows him, work on the car to get it just right. Might as well buy a used one a little cheap cause you'll end up spending some pretty substantial bucks on the car. TB/WP/fluids/axel boots/exp. tank/valves adj./master/slave/clutch/etc.

Don't think that you can just buy an 18 year old car and not have some things to do - be prepared. But once that all gets done - it will be really super ready and I'll have about 33 in the car but it will be really set up.

Anyone have any advice for me on shocks or clutch type?

Thanks guys

Congrats.....now you know the game Tim.

However if you take a car like the one I just bought

Wow... Finally. Congrat. :wink:

I do agree with all you said about the value of the highly mod cars.... Everyone thinks their cars worth a lot because of the money they put in the mods... until they try to sell them.

Back