When do you abandon the NSX?? Help me decide, please....may sell it.

Get a black Lambo Gallardo!!! F-N sweet.....:cool:

NsSeX said:
Of course people are going to say "get a CTSC or go with a custom turbo set up" but imo, it's not worth doing on a car like the NSX.
For basic CTSC and imo the bare necessities (somewhat conservative calculations):
1. CTSC = $8-10k
2. I/H/E = $3-5k
3. Suspension= $2k-3k
4. BBK= $6-8k
5. BBK clearing rims $2-4k
total cost? $21k-30k
end result? Maybe just as quick as the 996 turbo.
"Bare necessities," "conservative," cmon, gimme a break. Intake isn't necessary as the stock is just as good (or better) than aftermarket (plus Mitch already has the cantelli, so it's a sunk cost). You don't need to spend $3-5k on headers and exhaust (and it sounds like he already has a taitec). Stock brakes are just fine in my experience (especially with proper fluid and good pads like the race compounds from Hawk) unless you're going to be at the track every week and getting really competitive. Ditto for suspension (though type-r front sway bar and strut/chassis bar set might be nice).

Here's a better price list:
CTSC (installed): $9,500
Headers: $1,200
Better Pads: $150
Brake Fluid: $30
Suspension Bits (optional): $400
--------------------------
Total: $10,880-11,280

Sell the black one, supercharge the white one and buy your favorite flavor of 911 (which for me would be a 993T)

latzke said:
"Bare necessities," "conservative," cmon, gimme a break. Intake isn't necessary as the stock is just as good (or better) than aftermarket (plus Mitch already has the cantelli, so it's a sunk cost). You don't need to spend $3-5k on headers and exhaust (and it sounds like he already has a taitec). Stock brakes are just fine in my experience (especially with proper fluid and good pads like the race compounds from Hawk) unless you're going to be at the track every week and getting really competitive. Ditto for suspension (though type-r front sway bar and strut/chassis bar set might be nice).

Here's a better price list:
CTSC (installed): $9,500
Headers: $1,200
Better Pads: $150
Brake Fluid: $30
Suspension Bits (optional): $400
--------------------------
Total: $10,880-11,280

Again it was just my opinon^^ :redface: As to the brakes, I feel that the stock brakes are good enough when your car is left untouched, but when you start adding "serious" power, well........ just my 0.02

NsSeX said:
Why bother buying a 996 tt and converting it to a RWD? Why not just buy the GT2? If you are interested in buying a 996 TT, I think you should immediately get the Stage II kit and then work your way up the HP chain until you are happy with your HP output.

Well....something about paying $180,000 for a Porsche 911 is not in the cards for me. :)

OutbackKY said:
You said you already have a small fleet of other cars, so using something else as a daily driver is easily done, yet you don't feel the NSX is special anymore. You also said the fleet is comprised of Honda/Acura models - a family of cars.

I would suggest getting something radically different to drive daily. Get a Jeep, or a truck, a Hummer....SOMEthing that can't compare to the NSX in any way. Drive it for a month without driving the NSX. Then get back into the NSX on a fair-weather day trip down winding roads. Pack a lunch. Make it a "date" with the car, one that can also include your wife. (That kinda makes it a double-date!)

Then see how you feel. If it makes you happy, keep it, and give it a detailing like you were gonna sell it - make it new again. If you still can't get the feeling (Barry Manilow song?), sell at least one of the NSXes, and get something new.

Some good ideas. I have done the Jeep / SUV thing before and that was very short lived. Something about having to actually slow down for corners, getting crappy gas mileage, and just generally being bored while driving killed that. Going mudding was fun though. :)

Funny enough I am in the process of doing the 'make it like new again' thing in an attempt to regain the enthusiasm again. I had the front fully repainted (hitting the fuzzy critter just gave me a reason), ordered new floor mats, new trunk shocks, new OEM tires, new Comptech sway bars, new exhaust (Taitec JGTC), Cantrell cold air intake, UNI filter, new turn signal lenses to refresh the front, and all sorts of other stuff. We will see how it goes. I am even thinking of taking a multi-day road trip next week to see what happens.

Texas91Brent said:
Get a black Lambo Gallardo!!! F-N sweet.....:cool:

Not a fan of a Lambo that does not have Lambo-doors. If I was going to get a Lamborghini it would be a Countach or a Diablo, and neither of those is remotely close to being a regular driver. :D:cool:

latzke said:
Not a bad idea. CTSCs have meant renewed excitement for many in Mitch's position.

I need to drive one then. I have never driven an NSX with the Comptech Supercharger. Of course, there are not any around here to sample, so that makes things difficult. :(

Meeyatch1 said:
I need to drive one then. I have never driven an NSX with the Comptech Supercharger. Of course, there are not any around here to sample, so that makes things difficult. :(

I don't think the CTSC is the answer. It is still a NSX, just with more power, which you will get used to soon enough and you will be in the same boat.

Time for a change.

NetViper said:
I don't think the CTSC is the answer. It is still a NSX, just with more power, which you will get used to soon enough and you will be in the same boat.

Time for a change.

Yeah I wholehardly agree with that. It seems to me, you need to take a totally different direction.

Meeyatch1 said:

An Idea!! Drive over to Vegas, try out Factor X's 'getup' ..... and if you do decide to go that route, throw the keys at me for a couple ;) :biggrin:
A new toy and a couple days without her, your heart will grow fonder by the minute.....

Meeyatch1 said:
Well....something about paying $180,000 for a Porsche 911 is not in the cards for me. :)

You can buy a clean low mileage GT2 for $110K all day long. If you are patient or dont care about the mileage, Ive seen some that were asking around $100K. 996 Turbo prices have been dropping, on the other hand 993 Turbos have been steady, and even going up a little. If you are interested, I know a guy who has been trying to sell his 996 Turbo for many months. The car has about 43K miles, Techart wheels, high end audio components, full leather interior. He is asking $62K, PM me!

Meeyatch1 said:

lol point taken, but like someone else said, you can find nice GT2's for around 100-120ish:smile:

Also, if you are looking for a car that has a lot of power/speed the 996 tt can be your answer. It already has plenty of power and speed as is in stock form. I know from first hand experience that a 996tt with just a free flowing exhaust, is faster than a BPU supra that has about 400-420 RWHP hands down. if you want to go out and hunt C6 z06's, well just be ready to pony up around 10-20k :biggrin:

I have had an NSX for almost 14 years. I have also always had another car or two. Currently, in my little fleet I have a 350Z. Sell one of your NSX's, get something fun, then don't drive your remaining NSX for a month or two. The excitement will be back...

As I mentioned before, the NSX is like a disease that never leaves you - actually more like allergy (especially summer allergy)

Everytime I think about selling the NSX mainly because I am trying to be wise and mature due to having two kids, I go back in the decision. I put it for sale last week and was determined to sell it for sure this time, then for the last two days, I am having second thoughts again and again - I just keep wasting money on ads in the trader instead of putting that money towards the cantrell intake - I simply don't know what to do or how to think anymore.

NSX7 said:
As I mentioned before, the NSX is like a disease that never leaves you - actually more like allergy (especially summer allergy)

Everytime I think about selling the NSX mainly because I am trying to be wise and mature due to having two kids, I go back in the decision. I put it for sale last week and was determined to sell it for sure this time, then for the last two days, I am having second thoughts again and again - I just keep wasting money on ads in the trader instead of putting that money towards the cantrell intake - I simply don't know what to do or how to think anymore.

I am in the same boat. I sold my first one because we were building a house and I thought with starting a family I would never drive it much anyway, but I always kept thinking about it. Then I bought another back around 02-03 and was very happy with it (98 model), but then a business opportunity (buying out my partner here at ATV Outfitters) presented itself, and I needed cash to make it happen, so there goes NSX #2. It was only months later that I started looking again, trying to figure out how to financially make one feasible with my cash poor situation, and less than a year later I was an owner again (97, but same color combo as the 98). It really is a little like an addiction. I have lately been curious about a 360, GT, Gallardo, or even a 355. I may try one of those $$$-in the bank permittting, but I am not sure if it could replace the NSX is my heart. Hell I may wait for the NSX replacement, only to find it can not even do the trick! If it looks like the front drive POS we have seen "spy shots" of, it will be like the 68 Vette, driving prices of our cars back up like it did the C2 (63-67) Vette!

Here's a rather simple yet possibly powerful solution.

Driving shoes

Since I drive my car about 40,000 miles per year having the right shoe makes a big difference to me. The Simpsons are very very comfortable and make driving the car an absolute pleasure. I have the Accelarators in black which is a nice low key color. I got into the car yesterday with normal sneakers and it was just all wrong. The sneakers felt awkward and clumsy.

I just checked the Simpson website and the shoes are on sale right now for $70.00, they're normally $95.00. If you decide to order a pair, they run large. I wear a size 11 sneaker and I had to get the Simpsons in US size 10.

Hugh said:
Here's a rather simple yet possibly powerful solution.

Driving shoes

Since I drive my car about 40,000 miles per year having the right shoe makes a big difference to me. The Simpsons are very very comfortable and make driving the car an absolute pleasure. I have the Accelarators in black which is a nice low key color. I got into the car yesterday with normal sneakers and it was just all wrong. The sneakers felt awkward and clumsy.

I just checked the Simpson website and the shoes are on sale right now for $70.00, they're normally $95.00. If you decide to order a pair, they run large. I wear a size 11 sneaker and I had to get the Simpsons in US size 10.

Or..... he could always try driving in stilettos... that's a fun challenge ~ for ya ** :biggrin:

MiamiMermaid said:
Or..... he could always try driving in stilettos... that's a fun challenge ~ for ya ** :biggrin:

He'd look good in a pair of FMPs! :biggrin:

Some matching lipstick, a touch of mascara, a little blush......

Yeah, I can picture it!

Hugh said:
He'd look good in a pair of FMPs! :biggrin:

Some matching lipstick, a touch of mascara, a little blush......

Yeah, I can picture it!

Now we're talking!! ** :biggrin: :tongue:
He was talking about coming to Michigan this weekend,,,, I will be sure to have my camera handy ! ;)

MiamiMermaid said:
Now we're talking!! ** :biggrin: :tongue:
He was talking about coming to Michigan this weekend,,,, I will be sure to have my camera handy ! ;)

Perfect! He'll be able to use your photo for his new avatar when he changes his screen name to Beeyatch1.

How about:

TVR Sagaris

Noble M400

Porsche 997 GT3

Ariel Atom 2 Supercharged 300

?

I would pick something with a little sharper edge if I was tired of the NSX and wanted something new. Or even better, keep the NSX and buy a real toy next to it...

Hugh said:
Perfect! He'll be able to use your photo for his new avatar when he changes his screen name to Beeyatch1.

LOL... ... I'll take several different shots of it and promise to keep the photos at cost... ;) :tongue:

Meeyatch1 said:
Dumping $20,000 into an NSX, while fun, seems to defeat the purpose of the car for me and I rule that out because it pretty much means I am making the NSX into something it is not anyway.

I think this statement is very telling about your future direction...think about it :smile:

I myself am comfortable knowing that I'm going to have my NSX for a very, very long time.

I don't think I'll ever practically be able to buy and maintain a $200K car. I certainly can't now. I bring this up because the only other cars I would ever want to replace the NSX with are in that price range or above. Particularly after I do the SOS 3.8L engine, I couldn't think of how the NSX wouldn't meet my needs as a car, both now and in 20 years.

To me, a F355 or F360 or a used 911TT just isn't enough for me to trade in the NSX for good. Now, the F430 is quite a car and I'd love to get handed the keys to a 599GTB but there's another problem--I still want to DRIVE it all the time! And you just can't drive an F car all the time. You just can't.

If I had enough money to burn and time to haul it in to the shop, sure I would trade in the NSX for a F430 or a Vanquish or a CGT, etc. But that's about what it would take.

I think upgrading my NSX to my specifications is just a natural progression of technology that Honda failed to implement themselves. After 15 years there's a lot of good technicians and mechanics, such as SOS, who have worked hard to put out a product that rivals Honda in terms of R&D and quality. I think tasteful modifications are totaly acceptable and don't really change the core of what the NSX is/was or what Honda intended it to be.

Your statement about not wanting to really commit to make the NSX what you want basically means to me that you are ready for a change. You're realizing that you were young and you never got to experience a lot of what's out there. That's OK. But don't sell the NSX just yet--keep it as long as you can and only get rid of it after owning/driving something else for 6 months.

Back