When do you abandon the NSX?? Help me decide, please....may sell it.

Dan Ciesniewski said:
they have had 2 exotic car meets this summer, one coming up in July, the BEST drives Ive had in my life :biggrin:
MAYBE getting a Diablo :)....still waiting for dem b@stards to email me back..who new trying to give a dealership alotta money was so hard :rolleyes:

maybe if you EVER drove yours and showed your face in yours soemtime poor Mitch wouldnt wanna sell ;)
come drive with us!!!!!:biggrin:

Yeah I'm trying, I'm reallly am:frown: I have a small(VERY small) dent on the drivers side just above the scoop. For normal people they would need a microscope to see it. But me, it stands out like a sore thumb. It's almost like I want to get it fixed before I drive it again.

How did you find out about the Louisville drives? Was it on a different car forum?

i understand...but you can still drive it :-D...we wont admonish its blemishes :tongue:

Its on FerrariChat, under the North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV) section
heres the dirrect link, I havent posted about it cause they are still figuring out the route but it looks like Saturday, July 29 is the day, they meet at a mall and drive from there :biggrin:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112629

PM or email Indaville (Matt) for more info, hes the one who organizes it, great guy :)

Mitch,

The car you want is the Noble M400. Go to Cincinnati and drive one. You WILL NOT find a better car for $95,000. The car is awesome!! I have driven a996TT and it doesn't come close to the 2300lb Noble!! Buy it! Buy it! You might have a problem though being in Canada and importing the car.

Meeyatch1 said:
Okay...I never thought I would be typing this email, but I have really been considering selling the NSX and moving on to something else, but I feel very torn about the decision. Here is where I am at.

I have been adding parts to the NSX trying to add to the enjoyment of driving it because for some odd reason I just have not been feeling as excited lately about driving it. I still enjoy it but I fear that the electricity is fading after almost 10 years of NSX ownership. When I drive cars like the Ferrari F355 or F360 I feel like I just got hit with an adrenaline shot. The cars are like rolling art sculptures, and the sound is out of this world. Trying to get that excitement I even added a Taitec exhaust and a Cantrell intake, but it is not working to restart my enthusiasm. Not working.

Heck, even cars like the Porsche 993 Twin Turbo have me excited!! The speed and drivability of the cars and the more hulking looks they have seem to smile and say, 'Okay....lets go kick some serious a$$'. I really do not know why this is happening but it is bothering me since I still feel the NSX is the best car I have ever owned. Can anyone help me? Who else has been in a spot like this, and what did you do? :(

I am in the minority, the lone dissenting opinion I suppose. If your bored with your NSX, then you don't need to spend more on another higher end vehicle. The same psychological issue would quickly crop up as well with frequent street use. Street driving is boring, and their is no way to buy yourself out of that fact. Not even if you continuously switch & trade between other cars. That just gets expensive for you, and profitable for the state dept of revenue and dealer- just another way to satisfy little more than buyer impulse. Don't fret it, this is a very common auto buyer behavior seen everyday in the upper end sports car market.

IMO, quite likely, you need to spend less on the car and more on enjoying what you already have. Mods do help, but my suggestion would be to change your focus entirely as to how your using the vehicle. The only time you should need to move on to another car is if your underlying application fundamentally changes in which case the NSX might no longer be the best choice.

The very, very, simplified official John@Microsoft way of electing a vehicle:

1) Pick an application for the vehicle, and stick to it- Daily Driver/beater, Garage Queen Show Car, Street car, Weekend Cruiser, Street/Track car, Weekend Track Rat, Race car, etc... as they are all fundamentally different. If you are not fully qualifying your application up-front (e.g. what you are trying to accomplish by owning the thing) you are flying blind and come off un-informed when you start comparing F430's to a NSXes, which quite frankly I find to be entirely un-comparable vehicles.

2) Assess any prospective vehicle against real-world criteria for the specified application- social impact, drive-ability, reliability, security, service, parts availability, required performance figures for the intended application, etc... and further decide just how low on the 2D graph of vehicle power to weight to ammenities is complimentary to your lifestyle.

3) Finally and most critical- Come-up with a realistic go-fast budget, and stick to it- Above and beyond the cost of any prospective vehicle, figure in real world operating & ownership costs which affords one the ability to truly enjoy the platform and extract 100% out of the new vehicle. You want to own the vehicle, not ever have it own you. Sometimes the line is grey.

Mitch, sure the 355 feels like an adrenaline shot- one would expect it to- a 355 engine sounds so sweet, as it should as it costs 4X as much as yours should you need to replace it. I've had one for a brief time, it is entirely un-comparable application-wise to the NSX and no not nearly as flexible a platform. IMO, the 355 is really best at doing exactly what most of the owners do with them- summer time weekend driver used foremost for garnering elevated social status.

Sure, every vehicle has a maintenance cost. It is obvious, and everyone here is some-what advised on the maintenance range for various higher-end sports cars. Most should figure higher thou if they are a driving enthusiast. Maintenance costs are at absolute minimum to include several sets of tires per year, frequent maintenance of all fluids, rotors, brake pads, air cleaners, plugs, filters, shocks, minor modifications, etc... Plus any routine service specific for the platform, etc.. As well as ideally room for a significant mechanical or two... And that's just for a casual weekend driver. Red flags? If your already on one or more occasions have put any NSX maintenance 'off', because the maintenaince & parts costs for an NSX and F-Car a literally a world apart.

However, even forgeting all that for just a moment- and start talking now about the real world ownership cost of the platform. Don Kitch explains this to driving enthusiasts at his driver school all the time, as he also commonly sees enthusiasts woefully under-estimate real world TCO (total cost of ownership) as they balk at the cost to rent Lotus Elise’s for the day at $700 a pop...

Why? Well... because, come on... what is the point of owning a high performance vehicle and not getting the most out of it? You spent 3X as much for the slight bit of added performance say, the GT40, 911TT, or Gallardo offers over the bland underpowered NSX you say... so does that not make such a discussion very relevant – I think it does? Is this not a good test to determine if your making a car buying decision for the right technical reasons or to just satisfy that urge to experience something new and cool?

Usually, if you really start adding it all up- and figure in monthly event costs, fuel, lodging, food, track fees, tools, modifications, even shipping costs for parts, and all of a sudden the TCO numbers look very different and will change your impression on what is or is not truely realistic.

So many members on so many forums will say "hey go spend big on this higher end exotic performance car" spinning it as being the catch all solution to finding driving nirvana and happiness, but it's not. Especially exotics, that just really horrible advice; just because the NSX may be considered an exotic technically, does not some how mean the ownership experience is in anyway comparable to other modern high end exotics.

Owning a Gallardo then having it parked because you can't afford to properly maintain and drive it, even on a mostly street driven application, or to replace the motor in the event of a failure is really being short sighted. For most owners whom press the envelope without the commercial motor sports racing budgets and the truck, trailer, and tools to back it up will always be operating one step away from disaster. Even worse, if you like tracking your cars, then showing up at a track event in your $150,000 Ford GT-40 and then getting lapped by an Elise, which is what almost always happens as they never get enough seat time or are otherwise incapable of pushing the limits due to the fiscal operating consequnces.

As a general rule, I have found that the happiest motor sports enthusiasts are the ones that get the most out of their vehicles for their target application. Attending track events, taking long trips, attending club events, etc... on a frequent basis and I know any number of guys that could easily afford an F-Car but instead have a garage full of MX-5’s or S2000's or an NSX because they have a fundamental understanding of what ownership costs really mean from years of experience with other cars.

In short, think your bored with the NSX now? Take some recommendations from forum members that the best thing to do is to spend 3X as much on the car instead of spending 3X as much on enjoying it. How boring will it be to have to curtail a driving event because you had to just pay $725 for a fluids change at your local Ferrari dealer, or waiting 6 months for parts from the ware house in Italy. Their is a lot more boring things that the sound of a Taitec exhaust.

Why are all the F-Cars parked? Why very few Gallardo sightings per year at local track events? The far few that do drive them hard seem to be very rare exceptions. Likely, it's not because they are not reliable. The exotics do have higher maintenance costs to correspond to their higher performance & platform costs. Again, with a few exceptions, I would say it is safe to say that the vast majority of the owners have enough to pay the buck and half for them or to find a way to float a lease on them, but then can usually only afford to only do just that- garage them or street pimp occasionally with them. They cannot afford to properly drive them and maintain them the way they wish they could. Nor do many have the desire to. Most owners worry about re-sale value, their paint finish, rock chips & dirt, weather, milage, brake dust on their wheels, having to park it over-night in an unsecured parking spot at a hotel, etc... almost every day they own it. That's a bad sign for those new prospective owners just now coming to the table.

If your thinking about a vehicle in a context that is more driver-centric around race tracks... then up it even more... as the added ownership costs can very frequently be higher by a margin of 2-3X if not more than the base cost of any vehicle your looking at. Any vehicle that is tracked often (e.g. 15+ events per year) or raced in a sanctioned series (which aside from costing about 5X more to upkeep and maintain competitively), always know that you may well have to consider replacing the vehicle entirely out of pocket at some point no fault of your own as it is essentially an un-insurable liability.

Last edited:
Mitch,

I was visiting the forums to catch up on Prime happenings.

I was in your place a couple of months ago. I had my NSX for 7 or so years and had added much of the common go-fast parts to the car. I love the car dearly to this day. It gave me immense enjoyment. For a 14+ year old car to perform as well as it did, you cannot but be impressed with this car. However, a few things happened along the way:

1) I got older and had less time to tinker,
2) The car got older and begged for more parts to keep up with the competition,
3) I owned the only "current" cars Honda made with RWD (S2000 and NSX). I was at a dead end. As much as I love Honda, I couldn't go back to FWD.
4) I got tired of waiting for the S2000 and NSX replacements,
5) I drove a Porsche. Actually an 996TT.

I ended up selling the NSX and S2000 and purchasing a Cayman S. The new Porsche products are well built, fairly reliable (Porsche beat Lexus in JD Power this year), well appointed with great handling, good torque, and awesome brakes. The car is my daily driver.

The way I look at it is if I put the S2000 and NSX in a huge blender I'd end up with a Porsche. Flickability and weight of the S2k with the power, torque, and refinement of the NSX. I don't have an ego problem so having less gawkers in the P-car than in the NSX means nothing to me. At the point in my life, I appreciate the attention to detail in the fit and finish of the materials in the Porsche. It is tasteful, mature, and the car feels like a vault. Insurance on the brand new CAyman S is also cheaper than the S2000 OR NSX as well, but that is a minor point.

The only downside are the people. NSX drivers are mostly enthusiasts. I love the community. If I wave to an NSX, the driver waves back. The Porsche enthusiasts are numerous but are diluted with posers and snobs. I rarely get wavebacks or return headlight flashes. Only the true hardcore guys wave back.

When the new NSX comes out, I will probably buy one. When the new S2000 comes out, I'll probably buy one too. I trust Honda to make a good solid performing car. But until then, the Cayman will serve as a better daily driver than my S2000 did....and the 997TT I have on order will serve better than my NSX. Honda are you listening?

Vic

Last edited:
Just reading this post and ran into the same feeling this year. I struggled with it (the feeling) for awhile before finally starting to seriously look around for a solution. At the end of the day I went with the Gallardo, my NSX is still in my garage and I still haven't decided to sell it yet, but I get closer to that each time I drive the Lamborghini. Still I don't have much reason to sell the NSX, and I don't drive it all that much anymore, so there is still a unique joy I get out of driving it, but suddenly I notice all the little things that make the car seem dated to me that I either didn't notice, or didn't want to notice (most likely) beforehand.

Whatever you choose to do will be the right thing for you, but after nearly 7 years of having the NSX be my main thrill ride, I also strayed and ended up on the dark side. For now, the two share a garage, I might take the NSX to work some days for fun, but on weekend blasts through the hills, the Gallardo is winning out every time now.

jonathan

Back