What is APPLE planning?

iPhone 5 Javascript Benchmarks Over Twice as Fast

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/19/iphone-5-javascript-benchmarks-over-twice-as-fast/

sunspider.jpg

Had to post this. :biggrin:

iOS 6 & Mac OS X 10.8.2 out today -- who's upgrading?

My Mac is running about 20 things right now, but once it finishes I'll try out 10.8.2.

My Mac is running about 20 things right now, but once it finishes I'll try out 10.8.2.

I'm in class but I'm upgrading both iOS and OSX when I get home.
I don't really use any jailbreak tweaks, other than tethering, which I do rarely, so i don't think I'll miss the jailbreak. I know there's a jailbreak in the works already, but I think I'll go ahead and make the jump to iOS 6 on my iPhone 4.

I'm on ios6. It's very similar.

Siri is kind of fun. I don't like the new App Store as much.

Maps seems pretty good. I am going to try the nav tomorrow.

Just tried the maps. It was about a 1/2 hour trip. It drained 7% of the battery.

It did ok. It had one exit labeled wrong, but it was only changed a few months ago. It wasn't confusing for me, but might be for someone not familiar with the area.

It made me do a u turn when I didn't need to, and lastly it brought me to the wrong place. It went about 100 yards further than I needed to. So I had to turn around and look for the address of where I was going.

So overall, I guess not very good. I didn't have my tom tom going so I wonder if it would have been wrong also.

Anyone else try it yet?

So far in the SF Bay Area, it has been quite accurate. I haven't had any missteps in the 50 miles I drove with it.

Just tried the maps. It was about a 1/2 hour trip. It drained 7% of the battery.

It did ok. It had one exit labeled wrong, but it was only changed a few months ago. It wasn't confusing for me, but might be for someone not familiar with the area.

It made me do a u turn when I didn't need to, and lastly it brought me to the wrong place. It went about 100 yards further than I needed to. So I had to turn around and look for the address of where I was going.

So overall, I guess not very good. I didn't have my tom tom going so I wonder if it would have been wrong also.

Anyone else try it yet?

I've been using the beta for several months and it seems pretty good, but with the occasional misstep. I'm guessing the user feedback will be essential to polishing the quality of the data.

In the maps app, if you lift the dogear, there is a small link that says, "report a problem." You can submit a bug report by tapping it.

So far in the SF Bay Area, it has been quite accurate. I haven't had any missteps in the 50 miles I drove with it.

I would guess that in Apple's backyard it would be accurate. Out in Bumfark, perhaps less so.

This is basically beta software. After a few updates it should be fine.

What's weird is that some of their satellite map data, although more recent than Google's, is in black and white when zoomed in (but color when zoomed out sufficiently). Not sure why that is, but it's annoying.

I should have been in this thread a week ago and i could have told you exactly when it was to become available.

Well anyways, Thanks to everyone cause the launch created a network freeze nationwide so i have little to do at work :smile:

Mike

I've been using the beta for several months and it seems pretty good, but with the occasional misstep. I'm guessing the user feedback will be essential to polishing the quality of the data.

In the maps app, if you lift the dogear, there is a small link that says, "report a problem." You can submit a bug report by tapping it.

Thanks, I didn't know about that. I will try it next time.

Anyone having issues with apps not updating correctly since ios6? Infinity Blade 2 just totally crapped out trying to upgrade it. I had to delete it. No some thing with another app. I had to delete Motor Trend also because it totally crapped out and wouldn't work.

I just finished talking to a coworker who is very concerned about the maps. He agrees that over time the data will get better, but he points out rightly that it's probably one of the top 3 most important features in a mobile phone.

My opinion is that Apple should have considered having Maps as a download in the app store for a while, where it could get a reasonably large number of "beta testers" to work out the kinks. If it were free, it would certainly be one of the best if not the best turn-by-turn apps out there even counting commercial apps like Navigon. Then a year later, when things are smoothed out, it could have become the default mapping app.

I just got my iPhone 4 unlocked by AT&T and will posting it up for sale on craigslist right now. Will be upgrading to the iPhone 5 tomorrow if I can get one at the store.

My opinion is that Apple should have considered having Maps as a download in the app store for a while, where it could get a reasonably large number of "beta testers" to work out the kinks. If it were free, it would certainly be one of the best if not the best turn-by-turn apps out there even counting commercial apps like Navigon. Then a year later, when things are smoothed out, it could have become the default mapping app.
That would have worked much better than what we have now.

Side Note:

Looks like Apple is working on fixing the map issues.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/20...tches-maps-team-under-lockdown-to-fix-issues/

Also, Im sure Google is sitting back and loving the negative attention. Apparently they already submitted a G-Map app to the app store:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/20...ready-submitted-native-ios-maps-app-to-apple/
I just got my iPhone 4 unlocked by AT&T and will posting it up for sale on craigslist right now. Will be upgrading to the iPhone 5 tomorrow if I can get one at the store.
How long did it take you to get them to unlock it? AT&T made me wait 4-5 days & 2 tries before it finally worked. Sold mine last thursday.

How long did it take you to get them to unlock it? AT&T made me wait 4-5 days & 2 tries before it finally worked. Sold mine last thursday.

Well I filled out the request like a week ago, got an email from AT&T saying they couldn't find a valid account

Request number: 65555
Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.

We cannot complete your request because we found no valid current or former mobile or account number for this request.
If you have questions, review the general eligibility requirements for unlocking an iPhone.

I got on the phone with them today, and within a couple minutes, they had my unlock ready. Just plugged it in and restored with iTunes. I put in a Verizon SIM card to test it out. I know it wouldn't work for calls, but was just testing to see if I would get that invalid SIM card message. Looks like all is well. Would like to try with a T-Mobile SIM card. I'm putting the ad on Facebook and Craigslist as I type this.

Anyone having issues with apps not updating correctly since ios6? Infinity Blade 2 just totally crapped out trying to upgrade it. I had to delete it. No some thing with another app. I had to delete Motor Trend also because it totally crapped out and wouldn't work.

Yup. Mind keep waiting forever. Had to delete and reinstall again. Love ios6 so far. Panoramic photo is also nice and fun. Map had to wait for sometimes to get as good as google since it is just out.

Yup. Mind keep waiting forever. Had to delete and reinstall again. Love ios6 so far. Panoramic photo is also nice and fun. Map had to wait for sometimes to get as good as google since it is just out.

Can't do panorama on iPad. :frown:

Back