What is APPLE planning?

white vs. black got to me too...

Comparing the black-slate & white-aluminum offerings in the context of watching videos (movies/shows/etc), would the white-aluminum version give an encapsulating/framing effect vs. the black-slate version allowing the video playback to blend into the periphery (softer/smoother feel for the eyes).

I too was very much drawn to the white-aluminum iPhone 5, but a major activity of mine is using video streaming app's, and on my black iPhone 4 w/ its ~3.5" screen the displayed image seems larger than it actually is due to confluence w/ the black-periphery.

Got my iPhone 5 all set up now.

First impressions are:

Looking at the perfectly flat back surface, I'm reminded of how another consumer electronics product I have here has a flat surface on the back. (I won't name names, but it is a handheld game console.) Except it's not flat. It is plastic and has stress ripples emanating from some unseen internal structure or mountings. The result is the product looks cheap as light reflects off the wavy back. This phone's perfect geometry and 2001 monolith gleam makes it feel really nice. Yes, the 4/4s had that same quality...
Can you please translate (ie. dumb that down) for me! :D

(not sure whether the iPhone 5 back or the other product has the aforementioned "cheap" characteristics)

Re: white vs. black got to me too...

Comparing the black-slate & white-aluminum offerings in the context of watching videos (movies/shows/etc), would the white-aluminum version give an encapsulating/framing effect vs. the black-slate version allowing the video playback to blend into the periphery (softer/smoother feel for the eyes).

I too was very much drawn to the white-aluminum iPhone 5, but a major activity of mine is using video streaming app's, and on my black iPhone 4 w/ its ~3.5" screen the displayed image seems larger than it actually is due to confluence w/ the black-periphery.

Can you please translate (ie. dumb that down) for me! :D

(not sure whether the iPhone 5 back or the other product has the aforementioned "cheap" characteristics)

Sorry, to put it more plainly: The iPhone 5's back is super flat so it gives the impression it was machined/manufactured to very tight specs. The plastic handheld game console is warped and wavy and looks cheap in comparison.

Re: white vs. black got to me too...

I agree. The only thing keeping me from exchanging my black/slate for a white/silver is the framing effect that the black provides. Most TVs and theaters have black/dark materials surrounding the picture for a reason. And this is why my previous iPhones and iPads have been black.

Another benefit of the black iPhone 5 is that the apps that have not been updated for the new 16:9 screen ratio are letterboxed at the top and bottom. The iOS actually moves the status bar (signal strength meter, time, and battery meter) down with the letterboxing thus making the image appear seamless with the black frame and basically makes it appear just like the iPhone 4. On a white iPhone the letterbox bars would be more obvious. This will become less of an issue once all the apps are updated for 16:9.

I'm thinking that the case companies will come out with silver bumper style cases and a variety of rear case protective films. I'll probably just keep my black/slate iPhone and go with a silver bumper case. I wonder if the Element Vapor style case will have the same signal issues as it did on the iPhone 4...

Re: A letter from Tim Cook on Maps

Obviously Tom Cook had to do something to address all of the negative press.

I read an article on CNET critical of the new apple maps (as most recent articles have been). The writer clearly states that the old Maps app was one of his most used apps on the iPhone because he lives in London. And his main use for the app was as a static paper map replacement. He is thinking of switching to Android as a result because he needs the Google maps on a daily basis. The writer admits that the old Maps app was most useful for people who lived in major metro areas and not as much for people in suburbia.

I live in the Suburbs of the Tampa metro area and almost NEVER used the old Maps app because it didnt provide voice turn by turn directions so it just was not useful for driving.

I'm interested to see how many people actually depended on the old Maps app on a daily basis. For the majority of Americans (anyone who drives on a daily basis) I think the new app w voice turn directions is a much more useful program... Of course I can see that if you ride a train, bus, or walk to work the voice navi wouldn't be of benefit.

Over the past several days I have compared the new iPhone Maps app to the NavTech based GPS in my Acura and they are pretty much equivalent. From route recommendations to ETAs they are within 2-3 min ETA w similar routes. Addressing other criticisms such as the new Maps not being able to find hospitals I have asked Siri to take me to the nearest hospital and the phone accurately pulls up the nearest hospitals in the area and calculates instructions on the new Maps app. Likewise for stores (Best Buy, Costco) and restaurants. The POIs are in there. They may not all be labeled on the static map itself but they are searchable. In terms of some POIs being out of date this can be seen with every GPS system. The POIs in my area have been very good.

So my question is how often people use their GPS systems as a static map and how often people use their GPS for turn by turn voice instructions?

Last edited:

So my question is how often people use their GPS systems as a static map and how often people use their GPS for turn by turn voice instructions?

I've been using turn-by-turn with voice instructions on my phone on a weekly basis for well over two years now.

It's both. This is how it would play out on my Android:

I look up a restaurant/location on yelp (or sometimes on Google Maps directly), and then it would load it on static maps. If I needed driving directions, I would then go from static to turn-by-turn. I'm pretty sure this is how most people used Google maps.

Same with Apple.

-----

Luckily, I think maps is relatively well laid out for Southern California, considering it's POI data is based on Yelp. I'm sure people in less developed areas won't be as happy with it.

Having said that, I've had an overall ok time with it. It's given me the wrong directions once (telling me to overshoot my location and directing me to u-turn .25 miles ahead instead of taking a direct left into a shopping center); but this has happened on Google Nav as well--albeit the last time I could remember was 3-4 years ago.

Here are two things about the interface that I miss about Google Nav, and wish Apple Nav had:

1. Google let you go through the directions turn by turn by clicking "next" on the top banner, and showing you through each turn. I have found this to be immensely helpful in getting a better sense of my journey. It's kind of a primer for the trip, leading to fewer errors whilst actually driving.

2. The ETA information is accessible only when you tap the screen, and is in TINY print. Google NAV had this on the bottom left, and you could toggle between ETA/distance left I believe. This has been immensely helpful when I am trying to let someone know when I am arriving or estimating if I will be late or not.

I used those two functions almost every time I used Nav, and they are greatly missed on Apple NAV.

1. Google let you go through the directions turn by turn by clicking "next" on the top banner, and showing you through each turn. I have found this to be immensely helpful in getting a better sense of my journey. It's kind of a primer for the trip, leading to fewer errors whilst actually driving.

I haven't played around much with the Apple nav, but you can do something similar there. Just swipe left/right with your finger on the direction. It will move to the next/previous turn and also show you that turn on the map.

I've been using MotionX on my iPhone for the last few years for both turn by turn and static. I almost never use the Google Maps app.

I've been using MotionX on my iPhone for the last few years for both turn by turn and static. I almost never use the Google Maps app.

Seriously, I don't know why people are bitching about Apple Maps. The Google maps for iOS sucked for nav purposes. I never used them as I have TomTom. One thing about the new iOS maps that I hated just as much as google maps, is the fact that they are not installed locally. You need a cell signal to receive them. I hope we get that option in the future with iOS maps, otherwise, it's probably back to TomTom.

Seriously, I don't know why people are bitching about Apple Maps. The Google maps for iOS sucked for nav purposes. I never used them as I have TomTom. One thing about the new iOS maps that I hated just as much as google maps, is the fact that they are not installed locally. You need a cell signal to receive them. I hope we get that option in the future with iOS maps, otherwise, it's probably back to TomTom.

Thank God; I'm not the only one! Google Maps for iOS was horrible compared to G-Maps on Android. I'm just oping that Apple gets their act together quickly with maps and uses Google as a reference marker. Let's see some innovation!

Seriously, I don't know why people are bitching about Apple Maps....

Because anything Apple does or doesn't do is viewed under intense scrutiny by the media. Apple is newsworthy.

For example, when Greenpeace needs a scapegoat, even though Apple is one of the best when it comes to "green" design they will typically harp on Apple because it gets the best media coverage.

-J

Because anything Apple does or doesn't do is viewed under intense scrutiny by the media. Apple is newsworthy.

For example, when Greenpeace needs a scapegoat, even though Apple is one of the best when it comes to "green" design they will typically harp on Apple because it gets the best media coverage.

-J

Precisely.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the Maps app.

I'm one of those users that just uses the maps that were provided.

In comparison, the new maps app on my ip5 is literally 100% better than the google maps on my 4S.

I can't believe all the negative press! It's much easier to visualize. It fixes my goof ups when I make a wrong turn, etc. In other words, its now a navigator.

Now certainly, if I had wanted to I could have had that on my 4S, but the reality is that I don't have time to dig around for apps. I just use what Apple provides, and the new maps app is hands down better than the old provided google maps app.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the Maps app.

I'm one of those users that just uses the maps that were provided.

In comparison, the new maps app on my ip5 is literally 100% better than the google maps on my 4S.

I can't believe all the negative press! It's much easier to visualize. It fixes my goof ups when I make a wrong turn, etc. In other words, its now a navigator.

Now certainly, if I had wanted to I could have had that on my 4S, but the reality is that I don't have time to dig around for apps. I just use what Apple provides, and the new maps app is hands down better than the old provided google maps app.

That's exactly it! The media is complaining about things that may not have been relevant to a majority of users just for the sake of complaining.

Simply put the old MAPs app's lack of voice turn by turn meant it was never a true Navigation system at all.

Yesterday my father, who is not a tech guy, asked me at lunch about why everybody is saying the new Maps app is so terrible. Even the waiter at the chinese restaurant commented about it when he saw my iPhone 5... seriously.

Maybe people were hoping Apple Maps would be at least as good as Google Maps (+Nav) has been on Android for the past several years.

Hint: It isn't.

Maybe people were hoping Apple Maps would be at least as good as Google Maps (+Nav) has been on Android for the past several years.

Hint: It isn't.

Maybe, but to say Apple maps suck is just hating for hating's sake. It's definitely WAY better than the old offering.

Used it today. Took me the wrong way then back onto the freeway for the business I was trying to reach instead of the interior street running parallel to the freeway. Sorry maps, I can't exit to the business off the onramp just because it happens to be next to the onramp.

Then I looked for gas after I navigated myself to the business and it came up with this ...

705FE791-83C4-4D87-8FD7-55585650A223-3380-000001D3CC4BF422.jpg

Last edited:
Used it today. Took me the wrong way then back onto the freeway for the business I was trying to reach instead of the interior street running parallel to the freeway. Sorry maps, I can't exit to the business off the onramp just because it happens to be next to the onramp.

Then I looked for gas after I navigated myself to the business and it came up with this ...

705FE791-83C4-4D87-8FD7-55585650A223-3380-000001D3CC4BF422.jpg

Wow! That's a convenient place to put a gas station...

Maybe, but to say Apple maps suck is just hating for hating's sake. It's definitely WAY better than the old offering.

You and I think relatively similarly, both agree on Apple being great & JB doing well in F1.

Apple maps sucks. I used to use the old maps (google-data based) on my iP4 all the time. Street view was particularly helpful when it came to locating a destination I had never been. Forget whether vector tiles look better, the issue is that the maps are really inaccurate. Searching for my favorite local restaurants just to see what happens brings up horribly inaccurate locations. The accuracy needs work, BADLY. Do I think Apple's new maps will suck forever? No. Will the haters jump on the bandwagon to hate on it? Yes. Just some growing pains when you put out your own maps data/app.

Last edited:
The Maps are defintely bad.

My wife got her iPhone 5 yesterday and she just txt me to say the battery life sux. Anyone else find the battery life isnt as good?

The Maps are defintely bad.

My wife got her iPhone 5 yesterday and she just txt me to say the battery life sux. Anyone else find the battery life isnt as good?

I agree about the battery life. It's certainly not as good as my iPhone 4 was. Maybe on par with the 4S.

However it seems to have gotten better after a few charge cycles though (is that even possible?).

You and I think relatively similarly, both agree on Apple being great & JB doing well in F1.

Apple maps sucks. I used to use the old maps (google-data based) on my iP4 all the time. Street view was particularly helpful when it came to locating a destination I had never been. Forget whether vector tiles look better, the issue is that the maps are really inaccurate. Searching for my favorite local restaurants just to see what happens brings up horribly inaccurate locations. The accuracy needs work, BADLY. Do I think Apple's new maps will suck forever? No. Will the haters jump on the bandwagon to hate on it? Yes. Just some growing pains when you put out your own maps data/app.

Is the actual address correct and it puts the mark on the wrong location on the map? Or is the address info incorrect to begin with?

Back