What is APPLE planning?

So iOS6 maps are basically TomTom maps with Yelp POIs right?

I'm quite happy with my Navigon app (and my Acura GPS on my RL) so I'm not sure I'll be using the Apple Maps app much anyway.

I'm sure Google's map app for iOS6 is just around the corner anyway.

Speaking of iOS6 I really thought it was an undewhelming upgrade for my iPhone 4. Most of the nifty new features are only for the 4S and new iPad. I thought at least the camera panorama feature would be enabled for the 4. But it appears it is not...

No biggie because I have been using the Pano app for the past 2 years anyway.

Just went to my local AT&T store to check out the phone around 9am, the long was not long, so I queued up. Came out with a white 32GB model. First impression, it is LIGHT. 4G is definitely a big upgrade from 3G. Good thing my iPhone/iPod interface for my Honda has an aux in, otherwise I would be assed out of playing music from my iPhone. Can't wait to get the USA Spec BT35-Hon to do bluetooth streaming and calls! So far, I'm a happy camper. Plus I'm selling my unlocked 32GB iPhone 4 for the price of the iPhone 5!! :)

Just went to my local AT&T store to check out the phone around 9am, the long was not long, so I queued up. Came out with a white 32GB model. First impression, it is LIGHT. 4G is definitely a big upgrade from 3G. Good thing my iPhone/iPod interface for my Honda has an aux in, otherwise I would be assed out of playing music from my iPhone. Can't wait to get the USA Spec BT35-Hon to do bluetooth streaming and calls! So far, I'm a happy camper. Plus I'm selling my unlocked 32GB iPhone 4 for the price of the iPhone 5!! :)

How did you get your iPhone 4 unlocked? Did you have to call them?

Also did they happen to have any of the lighting adapters at the AT&T store?

How did you get your iPhone 4 unlocked? Did you have to call them?

Also did they happen to have any of the lighting adapters at the AT&T store?

Just called AT&T and requested the unlock, took but a few minutes. Are you talking about the 30pin dock to lightning adapters? if so, they didn't have any at AT&T. I'm gonna check at the Apple store later to see if they have any.

Just called AT&T and requested the unlock, took but a few minutes. Are you talking about the 30pin dock to lightning adapters? if so, they didn't have any at AT&T. I'm gonna check at the Apple store later to see if they have any.

OK. I'll call AT&T before I switch to my iPhone 5.

I guess I'll be dropping by my Apple store for lightning adapter as well...

Last edited:
The things I like most so far about iOS 6 is you can finally rearrange the order of your email accounts, and Siri can now open apps. So, for example, I can say "open Pandora" in the NSX and it will just start playing. Nice.

The things I like most so far about iOS 6 is you can finally rearrange the order of your email accounts, and Siri can now open apps. So, for example, I can say "open Pandora" in the NSX and it will just start playing. Nice.

Yep. Just like Android has had... for years. :biggrin:

The dude that marred the store display unit with a SIM tray pin was really classy. Hopefully they made him pay for the phone.

Could you imagine if you went into a car dealer and keyed the showroom car to see how durable the paint was.

Or go to a jewelry store, ask to see a Tag watch and proceed to scrape it against the cabinet edge to see if it scuffs...

REALLY? If you take a sharp object to a painted/anodized/metal surface it will scratch!?!? What a revelation!

I guess they'll have to start making them out of synthetic diamonds or sapphires from now on!

Last edited:
So the a5x is a quad core gpu, and the a6 is a tri core gpu. Which one is better for 3d gaming?

The a6 has a lot less pixels to push on an iPhone 5 vs an iPad 3.

Last edited:
So the a5x is a quad core gpu, and the a6 is a tri core gpu. Which one is better for 3d gaming?

The a6 has a lot less pixels to push on an iPhone 5 vs an iPad 3.

The "New" iPad (iPad 3) is running on an A5X... I think you knew that but your last sentence was a little confusing.

As far as how powerful the A6 is compared to the older processors:

Here is an article with the results from a full battery of tests comparing the various iPhones as well as the competition.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410034,00.asp

359041-iphone-5-vs-iphones-chart.jpg

359037-iphone-5-vs-android-chart.jpg

The GLB test is for graphics performance.

As the table show the iPhone 5 demolishes the iPhone 4S and 4 and it is more powerful in almost all benchmarks compared to the Galaxy S III.

Last edited:
The "New" iPad (iPad 3) is running on an A5X... I think you knew that but the second sentence was a little confusion.

As far as how powerful the A6 is compared to the older processors:

Here is an article with the results from a full battery of tests comparing the various iPhones as well as the competition.

The GLB test is for graphics performance.

As the table show the iPhone 5 demolishes the iPhone 4S and 4 and it is more powerful in almost all benchmarks compared to the Galaxy S III.

That doesn't show the ipad3 though.

Got my iPhone 5 all set up now.

First impressions are:

It is so light! It also manages to feel smaller even though it's taller. This might be because it's volumetrically smaller, and you can feel this as you handle it.

Looking at the perfectly flat back surface, I'm reminded of how another consumer electronics product I have here has a flat surface on the back. (I won't name names, but it is a handheld game console.) Except it's not flat. It is plastic and has stress ripples emanating from some unseen internal structure or mountings. The result is the product looks cheap as light reflects off the wavy back. This phone's perfect geometry and 2001 monolith gleam makes it feel really nice. Yes, the 4/4s had that same quality.

Screen seems the same as the already great 4s screen. I haven't really looked at it critically so I can't comment on the expanded color gamut.

The "ear pods" are actually pretty good. They are no Ultimate Ears, but they stay in my ears unlike the old earbuds. They also have much better bass response than the old ones. The old ones only had bass if you put "foamies" on them, which are those foam covers that used to come with all earbuds. The volume and play/pause clickers feel much more expensive now.

As I thought, I like the audio out jack on the bottom.

The Lightning plug is really tiny. It's like two paper matchsticks held side by side, without the heads. It clicks into place with a positive detent, with round engagement lugs inside the female socket.

The camera app now has a bigger control bar in photo mode, using the extra screen space. If you switch to video, the video takes up the whole screen and the control bar disappears. Instead, the controls float over the video.

As expected, the 16:9 screen shows movies much larger now, since it can expand to use all the space. The difference in viewing size seems much bigger than the difference in the phone's size (yet it actually feels smaller as I mentioned).

The speaker quality is noticeably better.

The earpiece sound quality seems to better.

Last edited:
Got my iPhone 5 all set up now.

First impressions are:

It is so light! It also manages to feel smaller even though it's taller. This might be because it's volumetrically smaller, and you can feel this as you handle it.

Looking at the perfectly flat back surface, I'm reminded of how another consumer electronics product I have here has a flat surface on the back. (I won't name names, but it is a handheld game console.) Except it's not flat. It is plastic and has stress ripples emanating from some unseen internal structure or mountings. The result is the product looks cheap as light reflects off the wavy back. This phone's perfect geometry and 2001 monolith gleam makes it feel really nice. Yes, the 4/4s had that same quality.

Screen seems the same as the already great 4s screen. I haven't really looked at it critically so I can't comment on the expanded color gamut.

The "ear pods" are actually pretty good. They are no Ultimate Ears, but they stay in my ears unlike the old earbuds. They also have much better bass response than the old ones. The old ones only had bass if you put "foamies" on them, which are those foam covers that used to come with all earbuds. The volume and play/pause clickers feel much more expensive now.

As I thought, I like the audio out jack on the bottom.

The Lightning plug is really tiny. It's like two paper matchsticks held side by side, without the heads. It clicks into place with a positive detent, with round engagement lugs inside the female socket.

The camera app now has a bigger control bar in photo mode, using the extra screen space. If you switch to video, the video takes up the whole screen and the control bar disappears. Instead, the controls float over the video.

As expected, the 16:9 screen shows movies much larger now, since it can expand to use all the space. The difference in viewing size seems much bigger than the difference in the phone's size (yet it actually feels smaller as I mentioned).

The speaker quality is noticeably better.

The earpiece sound quality seems to better.

Good review. I JUST finished syncing my new iPhone 5 with all of my old apps, music, photos, etc. It seemed to take forever!

My first mistake was trying to do the sync wirelessly.

I also got the black version... but having seen the white version in the flesh I'm torn. I kinda like the silver coloration of the aluminum sides and back on the white version.

Apparently AT&T has a 30 day return/exchange policy...
Dilemma... dilemma...

Id suppose that what I really wanted was a black front, silver side/back version.

The speakers are indeed better on this new phone. Much louder too.
I agree that the 16x9 screen happens to be perfect for the 16x9 aspect ratio of many movies and most television shows these days. Without the top and bottom letterboxing that we had on the iPhone 4/4S, the movies/shows are MUCH bigger than the incremental screen size upgrade would make it seem.

The Siri which I thought was very gimmicky on the 4S is more polished now on the iPhone 5 with OS6.

However, I will disagree on the headphone jack location. I preferred it on the top. Now I have to put the phone in my pocket upside down when I have the headphones in and it makes accessing the controls more awkward this way. (I dont use headphones with inline controls BTW).

Last edited:
Saw it today. I really think the white looks better. It's weird because being Lighter kind of makes it feel cheaper, but the materials and phone feel solid.

I wasn't impressed with the screen just being taller, but it looks good.

I was surprised how fast it was in 3d maps compared to my iPad, but I guess it is pushing half the pixels.

Overall though I would say it is a very nice phone.

Saw it today. I really think the white looks better. It's weird because being Lighter kind of makes it feel cheaper, but the materials and phone feel solid.

I wasn't impressed with the screen just being taller, but it looks good.

I was surprised how fast it was in 3d maps compared to my iPad, but I guess it is pushing half the pixels.

Overall though I would say it is a very nice phone.

Agree. The white is the hotness.... Too bad I got the black. :frown:

Agree. The white is the hotness.... Too bad I got the black. :frown:

I have to agree. That white is hotness. I almost wanted to buy one. My wife called to change to white but they told her it would take another 3 weeks. But with a case they will look mostly the same.

Back