What is APPLE planning?

When iPhone people finally get 4G, they're going to hate it.
Especially since the iPhone is so locked down.
I've had 4G on Android for 4-5 years now and it sucks. It kills battery.
The good thing with Android is you can turn off and disable anything you want, so while I was paying for 4G for the last 4-5 years, I NEVER turn it on.

Any bets that the Iphone 5 means a 5" screen. That would be one feature that I would like.

I would be shocked if the new iPhone screen isn't 4" like the rumor sites have been predicting the last few months. It'll be taller and there may be less bezel on the sides, but physically the phone will be the same width as it is now. There have been too many leaked pictures to think otherwise.

When iPhone people finally get 4G, they're going to hate it.
Especially since the iPhone is so locked down.
I've had 4G on Android for 4-5 years now and it sucks. It kills battery.
The good thing with Android is you can turn off and disable anything you want, so while I was paying for 4G for the last 4-5 years, I NEVER turn it on.

The latest crop of LTE phones with a integrated LTE radio on the main cpu seems to run more efficiently. My Galaxy S3 on LTE last atleast 13-15 hours with LTE left on.

The latest crop of LTE phones with a integrated LTE radio on the main cpu seems to run more efficiently. My Galaxy S3 on LTE last atleast 13-15 hours with LTE left on.

Keep in mind the S3 also has a huge battery. But it does seem like LTE isn't near the battery hog it used to be.

Actually, pretty sure you were wrong. I guess maybe you have worked at the genius bar too long.

NetViper - never wrong.

Back on topic:

iPhone 5
iPhone5_0169.jpg

Nice. What's the diff:confused:

I don't know the details, but I read it somewhere on 9to5mac.com that iOS 6 autoscaled to the appropriate size for the device. i don't care enough to go looking for the info right now, long day in class. :tongue:

So the answer is, they run letterboxed.

I read them and dismissed them outright. We knew the resolution was only changing in one direction, so this was the only "right" way to do it.

I don't understand why you would "dismiss them outright". Was my question not valid?

If you knew all along how it was going to be done, why didn't you write it? And is putting bars on it really the "right" way to do this? I mean, I don't see another way to do it, but sticking bars on it is pretty lame IMO.

Initial impressions:

* iPhone 5 -- I like everything about it, except for two things:
1) No NFC -- this is becoming a standard feature in Android phones. I suspect the iPhone 5S will include this, and all the Apple fans will congratulate Apple for inventing it.

2) The bezel is still too big. They made the screen bigger (yay!) but made the bezel bigger too (boo!).

* iTunes update -- meh. I don't use iTunes anyway, so I don't care a bit.

* New iPods -- love the new Nano. I was hoping it would run iOS6 too, but that might have been overly optimistic. Still, it's a great device, in a perfect form factor, at the right price.

I'm "meh" on the new iPod Touch. It has the same bezel problem as the phone, and in general looks like a crippled iPhone in most respects, for a premium price. It should be a hundred bucks less for each model, and the old iPod Touch should have been discontinued instead of being sold along side the new one.

Also -- if they can make iPods in lots of pretty colors, why not the iPhone too? I want to be able to buy a red iPhone!

Finally -- the half black/half silver logo sucks.

And yet you did not post this revelation prior to the announcement. That's classic fanboi behavior.

It's not a revelation, it's common sense. As for the "fanboi" remark, piss off. You have me confused with someone else.

I don't understand why you would "dismiss them outright". Was my question not valid?

If you knew all along how it was going to be done, why didn't you write it? And is putting bars on it really the "right" way to do this? I mean, I don't see another way to do it, but sticking bars on it is pretty lame IMO.

They didn't put bars on anything, they simply left the old apps in the same size screen they were designed for. My amazement is that anyone seriously thought they would do it differently.

Has it been confirmed that the iPhone five will have a new style plug?
So all my current adapters will not work anymore with the new iPhone five?
I keep hearing contradicting things. It will be a deciding factor whether I buy one or not.

It's not a revelation, it's common sense.

It's not common sense -- I can think of a half dozen ways Apple could handle the wider screen. To claim that letter boxing is the "common sense" solution after the fact is, despite your objections, blatant fanboiism.

I keep hearing contradicting things. It will be a deciding factor whether I buy one or not.

Yes, this is confirmed. The new plug is called "Lightning". There is an adapter to connect to old devices, but it probably won't fit in every case (plus, it's kinda clunky looking).

They didn't put bars on anything, they simply left the old apps in the same size screen they were designed for. My amazement is that anyone seriously thought they would do it differently.

Technically, no they didn't put bars on anything, but your apps will have black bars until they are updated. The only other thing I could think of was the stretch it, but it would look worse for sure.

I think if anyone was going to change from Apple, I think the connector is a great reason to do it. You can buy any other cell phone and never worry about this since they use USB. I would imagine there are people that will need to shell out $50 plus just an adapters. That would piss me off. Just my 2 cents.

** UPDATE -- ONE adapter is $30! Holy crap. $30!

Last edited:
Back