The Official 2011 F1 Thread....Now That 2010 is Over

Re: Oh wait......it's back on again

It just won't be the same cars. No time for testing; should be fun. :rolleyes:

That Bernie; one clever guy, no?

Disclaimer: shamelessly stolen from ApexSpeed.

Attachments

• Bahrain.jpg
    Bahrain.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 69
Three teams using Ferrari engines, four out of six drivers of Latin origin:

Ferrari:
Fernando Alonso (Spanish)
Felipe Massa (Brazilian)

Sauber:
Kamui Kobayashi (Japanese)
Sergio Perez (Mexican)

Toro Rosso:
Sebastien Buemi (Swiss)
Jaime Alguersuari (Spanish)

Sauber C30 briefly described on F1 Technical

http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/974

main.php

Yep, Sauber still looking competitive .

Lewis and Jenson not to happy with pace, Vettel setting fastest laps and Nico thinks they can compete...

It would be a great season.... If it ever starts.

-MSR

Yep, Sauber still looking competitive .

Lewis and Jenson not to happy with pace, Vettel setting fastest laps and Nico thinks they can compete...

It would be a great season.... If it ever starts.

-MSR

Oh goodness, I hope Kamui and Checo do great this season, my team this season!

Not happy to hear about the Macca, Jenson is one of my favorite drivers.

Re: Advantage Jens

Not happy to hear about the Macca, Jenson is one of my favorite drivers.
Logic would suggest that Jens should be OK and Hamo is gonna be lost this year with Pirelli's playing 3 and 4 pit stop games. Hamo was begging to come in for another stop in the last race when any 5th grader knew that was definitely not a possibility.

Hamo could very well be praying for Bernie's synthetic rain very soon.

Jens should be in the catbird seat at Macca. Of course they need to get a car under them to start with. The question is, "when?" :confused:

On another note, I just watched the last race again and gained another big helping of respect for Renault. I'm looking for them to be on the podium more than a couple of times. :wink:

Should be another interesting season. :smile:

Third day of final testing in Barcelona ,
Checo Perez toped the charts after being denied yesterday for cutting the chicane.

-MSR

Barcelona:
1. Sergio Perez, Sauber, 1:21.761
2. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:22.092
3. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 1:22.466
4. Rubens Barrichello, Williams, 1:22.637
5. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes GP, 1:22.892
6. Nick Heidfeld, Renault, 1:23.541
7. Heikki Kovalainen, Lotus, 1:23.990
8. Vitaly Petrov, Renault, 1:24.233
9. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 1:24.334
10. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, 1:24.779
11. Jerome D’Ambrosio, Virgin, 1:27.336
12. Jarno Trulli, Lotus, 1:34.485

Final pre-season testing day.
Seems that the upgrades on the Mercedez are working, Michael toped the charts while Nico with one hour remaning on the clock, took the third slot .

-MSR

1. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes GP, 1:21.249
2. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1:21.614
3. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes GP, 1:21.788
4. Nick Heidfeld, Renault, 1:22.073
5. Rubens Barrichello, Williams, 1:22.233
6. Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, 1:22.315
7. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, 1:22.675
8. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:22.933
9. Heikki Kovalainen, Lotus, 1:23.437
10. Paul di Resta, Force India, 1:22.653
11. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 1:23.921
12. Pastor Maldonado, Williams, 1:24.108
13. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1:25.837
14. Jerome D’Ambrosio, Virgin, 1:27.375

Final pre-season testing day.
Seems that the upgrades on the Mercedez are working, Michael toped the charts while Nico with one hour remaning on the clock, took the third slot .

-MSR

1. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes GP, 1:21.249
2. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1:21.614
3. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes GP, 1:21.788
4. Nick Heidfeld, Renault, 1:22.073
5. Rubens Barrichello, Williams, 1:22.233
6. Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, 1:22.315
7. Jaime Alguersuari, Toro Rosso, 1:22.675
8. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:22.933
9. Heikki Kovalainen, Lotus, 1:23.437
10. Paul di Resta, Force India, 1:22.653
11. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 1:23.921
12. Pastor Maldonado, Williams, 1:24.108
13. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1:25.837
14. Jerome D’Ambrosio, Virgin, 1:27.375

McLaren at the bottom of the charts :confused:

Sauber looks like a good solid mid-pack runner at least.

Its a fantastic genre of motorsport, after all this years of more and more regulations to slow them down, they still are very fast cars...
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ex5dhhpSHCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KG_GNM9tOc4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

looking forward 2011 :smile:

Re: So, what's the buzz?

Forget for the moment that it's pre-season testing and drawing conclusions is a fools exercise, let's just kill some time and talk some smack.

McLaren at the bottom of the charts

Sauber looks like a good solid mid-pack runner at least.
Yeah, looks like all of Macca's trick $hit is maybe complicating their life more than expected? Varsha's picked Hamo for WDC. What's he smoking? Mark my words, Hamo will set records for the number of pitstops this year and say some very derogatory things about Pirelli. And what's the supposed advantage of those radical sidepods?

As for Sauber, the Speed guys didn't express much faith this year. Didn't really catch why though, so I'll just wait to see.

It would sure be fun to see Lotus come up to midpack and maybe give Sauber, FI and Torro Rosso a go. :tongue:

Braun is uncharacteristically glowing about Merc's testing. I hope he's right, but I think they'll have their hands full fighting off Renault (or is it Lotus/Renualt?)

The only safe thing to say is it's likely to be Fred vs. Seb. :wink:

Whatever it is let's get those cars to the grid already !!!!
Can't wait...

I had re-book my fly to Cancun because of the Bahrain GP being cancel, things I do to make sure I don't miss the season opener.:rolleyes:

-MSR

Re: Predictions on DRS, KERS, and WTFP?

Ok, 5 days left to wile away. :rolleyes: Let's speculate on the success of drag reduction system (DRS or flattening the rear wing), the new(?) improved(?) KERS, or the "WTF" Pirelli tires.

I've heard .2 or .3 sec/lap for DRS and Red Bull's promo video says KERS is good for .3 seconds. How does that stack up to the fragile/degrading Pirelli's that will be slower overall for the mandatory long race stints? :confused:

At the end of the year, which one will be considered a success by 1) casual fans, 2) hardcore fans, 3) drivers, 4) engineers, 5) the FIA and 6) :tongue: Bernie?

I think there will be alot more tire pit stops, lot of them not even in the strategy. The wing will be managed by the stwarts? WTF ?

About the rest I'll keep quiet until the end of Q3 at Melbourne .

Did you guys hear that Mclaren has made a last minute upgrade that supposed to make their car ONE SECOND quicker??

-MSR

I think there will be alot more tire pit stops, lot of them not even in the strategy. The wing will be managed by the stwarts? WTF ?

About the rest I'll keep quiet until the end of Q3 at Melbourne .

Did you guys hear that Mclaren has made a last minute upgrade that supposed to make their car ONE SECOND quicker??

-MSR

Do tell sir.

From BBC f1 site:
Team principal Martin Whitmarsh hopes McLaren will be one second faster in Sunday's first race of 2011 than in the final pre-season test in Barcelona.
McLaren's car had been off the pace of front-runners Red Bull and Ferrari but dramatic alterations have been made.
"The changes are intended to deliver more than a second in performance," Whitmarsh said ahead of the season's opener in Australia.
"We hope the risks we have taken come off and we are competitive."
The new parts include a completely new floor and exhaust system, both of which are key in creating critical aerodynamic downforce.
Whitmarsh admitted the team had been forced to return to a simpler exhaust design.
"The exhaust systems have become quite a lot more extreme on quite a lot of the cars. I think we, in particular, had very extreme solutions, but I think they were not delivering, in my opinion, sufficient benefits for their complexity," he continued.
However, Whitmarsh maintained the new MP4-26 was not fundamentally slow.

Hamilton and McLaren have struggled in pre-season testing
"I think the car isn't a bad car, I think we need to unlock the exhaust-blowing potential," he explained.
F1 teams are currently using "blown" exhausts, which channel exhaust gases to improve downforce.
"We had some very creative ideas, some of which could have worked spectacularly well, but in order to work spectacularly well they had to be sufficiently durable to be raceable - and frankly some of our solutions weren't," Whitmarsh said.
"So we had to go a little back, but in doing so we found some interesting performance. I think it will still be a challenging weekend, but that we will put on more than a second from the final test."
Whitmarsh admitted the extra two weeks of preparation afforded the team by the postponement of the Bahrain Grand Prix had been hugely useful.
"I wasn't satisfied with our reliability or pace in the tests this year. We've taken a risk to quite significantly change the car going into Australia, and if it [the car] is reliable and quick, then the extra two weeks will have been very crucial indeed," he said.

We will see but think that is not so easy catch RB and F cars whit so poor testing this winter.Also RB and F will bring some news for firs race.I belive that
F cars will be stronger than last year closer to RB we have to wait Melbourn.

Logic would suggest that Jens should be OK and Hamo is gonna be lost this year with Pirelli's playing 3 and 4 pit stop games. Hamo was begging to come in for another stop in the last race when any 5th grader knew that was definitely not a possibility.

Hamo could very well be praying for Bernie's synthetic rain very soon.

Jens should be in the catbird seat at Macca. Of course they need to get a car under them to start with. The question is, "when?" :confused:

On another note, I just watched the last race again and gained another big helping of respect for Renault. I'm looking for them to be on the podium more than a couple of times. :wink:

Should be another interesting season. :smile:

These assumptions of Button and his smooth/tire saving driving style should be put to rest. Like last year, I will again let the result speak for itself. Lewis is just the better driver/racer. Button in the catbird seat at Macca is rather funny. Maccas cars may be dogs at the beginning of the season but, as seen from previous years, they are good developers. Hopefully, this year they will do a little more than just catch up.
As far as Renault/Lotus goes, I'm really going to miss Kubica. I had high expectations for him this year, hope he's back in the seat soon.
The tests never tell the full story (as we all know), remember Sauber last year. Can't wait to see who has what in a few days.

Re: Predictions on DRS, KERS, and WTFP?

Ok, 5 days left to wile away. :rolleyes: Let's speculate on the success of drag reduction system (DRS or flattening the rear wing), the new(?) improved(?) KERS, or the "WTF" Pirelli tires.

I've heard .2 or .3 sec/lap for DRS and Red Bull's promo video says KERS is good for .3 seconds. How does that stack up to the fragile/degrading Pirelli's that will be slower overall for the mandatory long race stints? :confused:

At the end of the year, which one will be considered a success by 1) casual fans, 2) hardcore fans, 3) drivers, 4) engineers, 5) the FIA and 6) :tongue: Bernie?

I really don't believe the reintroduction of KERS and DRS will add to the show, well maybe a crash or two. However, I think the tires will, it's always fun watching the frontrunners go through traffic. As stated by some of the drivers, and I concur, the additions can be a distraction. The stewards deciding when the DRS will be utilized will surely lead to confusion. I suppose it will also make things a bit more interesting. Well that's my contradictory speculation, the facts will present themselves in due time.
Hopefully, the other drivers won't be driving as slow as Button in an effort to save tires :biggrin:.

These assumptions of Button and his smooth/tire saving driving style should be put to rest. Like last year, I will again let the result speak for itself. Lewis is just the better driver/racer. Button in the catbird seat at Macca is rather funny. Maccas cars may be dogs at the beginning of the season but, as seen from previous years, they are good developers. Hopefully, this year they will do a little more than just catch up.
As far as Renault/Lotus goes, I'm really going to miss Kubica. I had high expectations for him this year, hope he's back in the seat soon.
The tests never tell the full story (as we all know), remember Sauber last year. Can't wait to see who has what in a few days.

I can see Button coming in less for tires than Hammie.

Re: Hamo and Pirellis

These assumptions of Button and his smooth/tire saving driving style should be put to rest. Like last year, I will again let the result speak for itself. Lewis is just the better driver/racer.
So just to be clear, you've been watching all the races for the last few years and don't think that Hamo deserves his well known reputation for punishing tires? And that this year's tire design won't be a problem for him? Do I have that right?

Rebel, you gonna address the Button vs. Hamo raw talent comparison? This is your turf.

Re: Hamo and Pirellis

So just to be clear, you've been watching all the races for the last few years and don't think that Hamo deserves his well known reputation for punishing tires? And that this year's tire design won't be a problem for him? Do I have that right?

Rebel, you gonna address the Button vs. Hamo raw talent comparison? This is your turf.

meh.

Re: 24.75 hrs. to go

Practice tomorrow nite. Can't wait. Warming up the DVR, the blender and the pop corn popper as we speak. :wink:

BTW, what's the 411 on Ponyboy? Can't believe he's completely MIA on this thread when he seems so normal on others. Still bummed about Fred's bad luck, er.....mistake last year? Or...................Rebel, did you beat him up in a PM and hurt his feelings? :eek::biggrin::rolleyes:

Back