The Official 2011 F1 Thread....Now That 2010 is Over

I say make Vitaly #1, and let Senna drive. Lets see what the kid has with a better car.

I can't really see Renault or whatever it's called this year going with Senna as their driver. They need an experienced #1 driver
How about ask Kimi-Matias Räikkönen to come back to F1 and be the #1 driver for Renault? It's a great car, and in Kimi's hands, with a french crew, it'll go far.

Quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimi_Raikkonen
But during 2010 itself, rumours emerged once again about another possible Räikkönen comeback this time with the Renault team in 2011. This followed a resurgence in Renault's form, and the fact that the Russian Vitaly Petrov had yet to be re-signed like team-mate Robert Kubica. Team principal Éric Boullier claimed he had been contacted by Räikkönen in connection with a possible return, but said that although he was flattered by Räikkönen's alleged display of interest:

"I would have to speak personally with him first, look him in the eyes to see if I see enough motivation there for him to return to F1. It doesn't make sense to hire somebody, even a former world champion, if you cannot be sure that his motivation is still 100%. Why should you invest in somebody who leaves you guessing?"​
However Räikkönen angrily shot down the suggestion that he would race, claiming that Renault had simply used his name for "their own marketing purposes".

I say make Vitaly #1, and let Senna drive. Lets see what the kid has with a better car.

I'm in agreement. I'm really sorry this happened to Robert, my best wishes to him and his family. I believe Senna is the right replacement, it would be a shame if he isn't given the opportunity. The times that Bruno was outperformed are questionable. In my mind, Vettel or Robert himself wouldn't have done better in a HRT. Formula one has almost always been more about the car than the driver. Also, the man himself said it "if you think i'm fast, wait till you see my nephew Bruno". Btw Lewis will once more outperform Button this year.:biggrin:

I'm in agreement. I'm really sorry this happened to Robert, my best wishes to him and his family. I believe Senna is the right replacement, it would be a shame if he isn't given the opportunity. The times that Bruno was outperformed are questionable. In my mind, Vettel or Robert himself wouldn't have done better in a HRT. Formula one has almost always been more about the car than the driver. Also, the man himself said it "if you think i'm fast, wait till you see my nephew Bruno". Btw Lewis will once more outperform Button this year.:biggrin:

If he does, it won't be by a huge margin. He won't get "smoked" by Hamilton like so many said would happen last year. Also, the Pirelli tires are intentionally made to degrade more than last year's tires, so Button has the edge there as far as tire management.

Robert Kubica's F1 career may be over. His hand was partially severed. Remember Alexandro Nannini? They can still have a career in auto racing, just not at that level. What a shame, he could be a future F1 champ too.

and it happened, Ford is suing Ferrari for using the F150 name on their 2011 F1 car.

Sauber is third fastest! Driven by Sergio Perez!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89387

Pos Driver Car Time Gap
1. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m20.709s
2. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m21.483s + 0.774s
3. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m21.522s + 0.813s
4. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m21.755s + 1.046s
5. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m21.914s + 1.205s
6. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m22.689s + 1.980s
7. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m23.472s + 2.763s
8. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m23.504s + 2.795s
9. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m23.963s + 3.254s
10. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m24.458s + 3.749s
11. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m25.086s + 4.377s
12. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m34.968s + 14.259s

Sauber is third fastest! Driven by Sergio Perez!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89387

Pos Driver Car Time Gap
1. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m20.709s
2. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m21.483s + 0.774s
3. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m21.522s + 0.813s
4. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m21.755s + 1.046s
5. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m21.914s + 1.205s
6. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m22.689s + 1.980s
7. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m23.472s + 2.763s
8. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m23.504s + 2.795s
9. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m23.963s + 3.254s
10. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m24.458s + 3.749s
11. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m25.086s + 4.377s
12. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m34.968s + 14.259s

You mean 2nd fastest? Remember, it's 1,2, then 3. ;)
Hopefully, he can keep up the pace as the season progresses. I don't see the team being in the top 3 or 5, but a good solid mid-pack runner. Keeping the fingers crossed!

Re: Detroit; proud and strong !!!

and it happened, Ford is suing Ferrari for using the F150 name on their 2011 F1 car.

After Ferrari had to calm Ford down by assuring them that Ferrari doesn't intend to market any single seater race cars, Joe Saward has flippantly dismissed all the balderdash.........

...The Ford F1-50 can now go on being sold to millions of proud rednecks across the United States of America, without fear that they may pick up a Ferrari supercar by accident…

How can he do that? :eek: Oh wait.........We're talkin' about Detroit, yeah.......home of the Lions. :rolleyes: :biggrin::biggrin:

You mean 2nd fastest? Remember, it's 1,2, then 3. ;)
I was soooo excited I couldn't count right!

Here is this season's winning car, I predict (gorgeous picture too):

butt_mcla_vale_2011-1.jpg

Your majesty M.schumy , fastest of the day.
Checo Perez 7th but only ran 56 laps before he went off.
Kobi will be testing on Saturday.
Only 27 days!!!!

I already have the day off for that date ;)

-MSR

Re: Does anyone care at this early juncture?

Your majesty M.schumy , fastest of the day.
Checo Perez 7th but only ran 56 laps before he went off.
Kobi will be testing on Saturday.......-MSR
"your" majesty? who you talking to? :biggrin: No one here's claiming him, are they?

He's got some proving to do to get that title back with just about anyone. Not saying he couldn't with some folks, including me, but to be mentioned in the same paragraph with those 2 other guys is well.............. a sign of the times. And coming from one who knows what that means, that ain't good. :frown:

Wake me up for the first Q session in 28 days. :wink:

Nick heidfeld, did it!!
He top the charts on testing!! wow, what a way to gain your seat..

Alonso second, Schumy third, hamilton fourth and Kobi fifth on the sauber.
Me like.

-MSR

That Sauber is looking promising so far!

Re: What's up with the Sauber support?

Is this a "good guy-underdog" thing? If so, I can understand that, but I like Sir Frank hanging in there as well and especially with Ruby and he sticking together. I think I'll make Williams my team to watch. Prolly beat Merc. :tongue:

So MSR, I assume you're in Cancun now? We just got into Cozumel. What's up with this weather? Better tomorrow and the rest of the week they say, but didn't expect a full day of rain and wind. :confused:

Re: What's up with the Sauber support?

Is this a "good guy-underdog" thing? If so, I can understand that, but I like Sir Frank hanging in there as well and especially with Ruby and he sticking together. I think I'll make Williams my team to watch. Prolly beat Merc. :tongue:

So MSR, I assume you're in Cancun now? We just got into Cozumel. What's up with this weather? Better tomorrow and the rest of the week they say, but didn't expect a full day of rain and wind. :confused:

Yep, Underdog its exacly the right word.
I would also like to see Nico and schumy do good, its all about the sport.

Sorry about the weather but I am not there right now to control it, unfortunally I am in T.O right now.

It wouldnt hurt to see Sir Williams jumping out of his chair after a podium..

-MSR

I know it(testing) doesn't mean that much, but that Sauber is still up there in the charts! :eek:

Sauber is still up there in the charts! :eek:
Because of Ferrari power? Sigh. Peter Sauber has been around, having been involved in motorsports since he was a teenager. He will do well this year.

The following is somewhat like Mugen and Honda 20 years back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauber_F1
The Ferrari era (1997–2005)

Sauber used Ferrari designed engines (from 1997 to 2005) and gearboxes built by Sauber Petronas Engineering, a company founded for the sole purpose of building these engines, that were nearly identical to the ones used by Ferrari. Sauber licenced nearly every legally licensable part from Ferrari and even had several Ferrari engineers on staff. Many pointed out suspicious similarities between Ferrari and Sauber chassis, but no formal accusations were ever made (FIA rules require each team to design their own chassis).

In 2001 Sauber brought a virtually unknown and very inexperienced Kimi Räikkönen into Formula One, despite the protests of a few drivers and influential members of the FIA, including Max Mosley, that he would pose a danger to other drivers ...

Re: What's going on in Bahrain?

Been underwater in Cozumel all week and have no idea what the Bahrain unrest is all about and why it might cancel the first race. Anyone on top of this and can give the rest of us the cliff notes on the situation? TIA.

Well as many already know, GP2 was cancel.
Seems like the F1 race may get cancel too, but abudabi is ready to receive the test and maybe the season opening too.

Crazy things going on in Bahrain for sure, I think Bernie may have his mind made up...

Back