Strange NSX owners....

Just wanted to say that while Rob may have been a bother, Los Gatos Acura is a pretty good place to take your NSX. The NSX Tech there (Gary) is a real enthusiast and a good guy. Also, Bill at the front desk has always taken very good care of me.

-Bob ('94 NSX)

Hi boys...

Guess who?

It's your favorite former Acura technician Rob!

We'll talk later. I'm a little tired, since it's been a busy morning.

Rob

Hey Rob,

Here are publicly-reported 0-60 times:

1991 3.0-liter NSX five-speed
-----------------------------
Car and Driver (9/90) 5.2
Autoweek (8/26/91) 5.3

1997-2001 3.2-liter NSX six-speed
-------------------------------
Car and Driver (7/97) 4.8
Car and Driver (8/98) 4.5
Car and Driver (7/99) 4.8
Popular Mechanics (7/99) 4.97
Road & Track (1/01) 4.9
Road & Track (7/98) 4.8
Sports Car (12/98) 4.9

1999-2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
------------------------------
Motor Trend (7/02) 5.2
Road & Trend (4/99) 5.5
Car and Driver (5/01) 5.2

There are cars on the road that are significantly faster than the NSX. But a stock Camaro isn't one of them.

Originally posted by victoria_nsx:
If you wish to exercise your right to free speech, that's fine, but don't be so naive as to think there aren't consequences for certain things you say.

That's right.

People misinterpret our system's right to "freedom of speech" to mean that you can say and print anything you want without consequences. That's not true. The right to "freedom of speech" actually only means that the government can't put you in jail for what you say (and there are limits to that, too, such as inciting to riot). There can be plenty of consequences to what you say, even if you do it on your own time. Criticizing your employer, your supervisor, or your customers is an easy way to prove this to be true.

I, for once do not like people who's work for me that is not passionate about what we do, ain't gonna happened, either you are part of a team or you are part of the problem. Simple as that, and if some people think otherwise, it doesn't bother me, cause I am in charge.

hey rob, sorry about the job thing. hope you wind up working with the vehicles you want.

we all may have customers our organization serves that we think are 'stoopid'. but it is never a good idea to publicly generalize or infer that any are disrespected by you, let alone categorize the majority of our customers that way. at the end of the day, the customers are the reason you are getting paid. if you had your own shop you would be happy for the customers you had. i also think you'll find that owners of gm vehicles can be just as ridiculous as any.

besides, if you shopped somewhere, would you want the service provider to publicly talk about you and everyone who bought what you bought the way you talked about acura owners? its just not good business, or very ethical. you should represent a business that you believe in.

good luck to you and best wishes.

Anything constructive that we could say to Rob via this medium is an absolute worthless waste of space because we are not going to change his attitude. Only Rob can change Rob's attitude. As far as I am concerned, Rob got what he deserved and obviously what he wanted.

I work in an industry with very strict codes of conduct and even stricter confidentiality and privacy laws. What he did was a violation of both of the above and he deserved to be terminiated.

I hope he learned something from his conduct - but I doubt it.

[This message has been edited by wildrice (edited 28 September 2002).]

Well, well, well...so here we are. Just so you know, it's Rob writing this to you.

The last poster is right, you guys can't change my attitute. The fact that some of you got me fired makes that attitute even stronger. I'm not here to attack your car. That's a waste of space in this medium for sure. I'd like to quote one of the members from the acuramdx.org if I might...

"___Finally, if there is any consolation, I am sure the individuals that contacted your dealership feel just great about themselves right now but will consider their actions a poor choice in the not to distant future. Maybe they should tell their youngest son or daughter at the dinner table tonight that they had someone fired today because they didn’t like what you had to say irregardless of its content. I am not defending your content since I myself believe that you stepped over the line on more than one occasion but I am also sure that his or her children would love to hear the details as to how mommy or daddy had the gall to do what they did to someone simply because they could. The next time they bad mouth their own job assignment; it may just give them reason to pause … I can only hope so anyway."

I'm sure some of you have been monitoring what I've been saying over there, so this quote you've seen already. I would like to direct this to the people that this statement applies to. I know there was more than one complaint about me. So that's why I say people.

You know, there's really a big sign that should be waving near you that says "get a life" when you waste this much time on the internet boosting eachothers' egos up reaffirming that you that your hard (some harder than others) earned 90 grand went to the best sports car available today. Oh I'm sure you talk about problems and when to meet up for track day also, but lets face it, boards like this and most others are just places to blow your horn and say, "Yea! Our car is better than any other!" And enthusiasts for any kind of vehicle, especially NSX owners love to feel this way. And yes, I did say get a life. And I'll freely admit I need to get one too, since I'm on these boards plenty of time as well badmouthing cars and every once in a while giving free advice.

But here's my point. Having said that...now it's one thing to just talk in the internet, expressing opinions. Some you'll agree with, some you don't...so what? It's just words. Here's some more; Steve Wozniak regardless of his net worth or how many vehicles he may have to choose from, buys an NSX, and not just one mind you, and then barely drives it. I'm sure 90k is a drop in the bucket to the guy, but why even buy the thing if it's going to just sit and collect dust most of the time? I've ridden my motorcycle almost as many miles now, and I have only had it since April of this year, and not the several years that "Woz" has had to put some miles on his NSX. I have several bikes to choose from here as well, and I only ride mine maybe once a week if that.

See? There's some words that are not the "nice" opinion to have. Will someone get butt hurt over it? Of course. Probably not even the man it's about. And I'm sure I'll get a reply from someone defending that position from the other way to look at it. I could also say he's one of the ugliest looking guys I've seen in a while. If Steven King were to grow a beard and get 20% uglier, it would be him. Now there's a harsh opinion. And I'm sure that will cause some words to be typed in response.

OK, enough examples... Opinions on the internet is all fine and dandy. We really should all be out doing something more productive, but this is how we turned out. So be it. When someone actually gets so caught up in something they read on the internet, that they feel compelled to make telephone calls first thing in the morning at work (shows me how hard some of you work for the money by the way) complaining about me badmouthing customers (which I did keep fairly anoynomous until you all outed them and myself) and their cars to his boss and demand his termination...wow! I thought I needed to get a life...nope, there's people out there much more pathetic than I.

Sure it's my own fault for giving too many clues to find me. And it's retarded that I had to try and stay anoynomous in the first place. Just because I have a negative opinion about you or your car, when I am OUTSIDE OF WORK I might add, I have to worry that if my location were ever learned it would be used against me. Just pathetic... I don't suppose I can convince any of you that my opinions regarding customers or their cars in no way affected how I worked on them. Even if I had been working next door on exotics and Hummers all day, I'd have treated them no better and no worse. The mindset is this for a mechanic, "IT'S NOT MY CAR! Even if I'd really like to have it, it's not my car. Even if I'd like to drive it off a cliff, it's not my car. Even if I think the owner is the biggest clown in the world, it's not my car." And all that dramatics means that I know I'd eventually get in trouble if I do bad workmanship no matter what my opinion of the car or owner is. So I give 100% on every car. Yes, even the riced up Integras...

Someone who is afraid to service or buy a car there, based on my opinions (even though being a tech adds an extra sting to them I'm sure), fearing that I'll put nails in there tire, leave bolts loose, or some other form of sabotage/bad workmanship is a complete fool.

Also, someone who thinks that a tech is going to do a full detailed inspection for just a quick oil change to try and make sure that the car has nothing else wrong with it, unless it's blatantly obvious just from driving from the parking lot to the shop, and maybe give you a call personally in a week to check up on you, send you Christmas cards, and just kiss your ass in general...is also a complete fool.

Ok, so maybe the Christmas card is a bit extreme, but don't think that just because the car costs an arm and a leg means you get more service than some college kid starting out who spent every dime they had on an RSX. And don't think you get less than someone who thinks they have the "inside hookup" like a friend of the manager. The fact is that I performed my job quite well. If you all think I was such a liability for the dealer to employ, why were my customer satisfaction percentages above the national Acura tech average?

I'm not here to threaten the people who got me fired. Beating one of you up would only add to the long list of mental problems you have. I'm not here to make the people feel guilty. All that, "You took away my livelyhood" crap. I worked at Los Gatos strictly because it was an easy job. Like many of you white collar folks, I too have the desire to not want to break my back. I also don't want to sit on my ass either, so that's why my collar is still blue. But I still like turning wrenchs. Regardless of what the brand name on the back of the car says. I didn't come to Los Gatos for the money. Matter of fact, I passed on a GM dealer job that would start me at $24 an hour, just two months after I started at Los Gatos. I will be seeing if that lead is still available now. What did I make at Los Gatos? I have no shame in admitting it. At $17.50 an hour...you just gotta know that a Master Tech can do better at most other dealer around here. The "policy" was that they couldn't tell me what my rate would be until after I was "hired" which meant going through the drug test, and filling out papers. Any person driven by money would have walked out the door upon hearing this ridiculous policy, but I stuck with it because it looked like a nice place to work. And it was. I will miss my co-workers. They were a fun bunch of guys. And I did not deserve to be fired, but since enough people with money called in threatening to take their business elsewhere because they are so butt hurt over something they READ ON THE INTERNET, the dealership, which is driven by money had to do the only thing possible. The popular Mustang tech did deserve to be fired because he was not doing his job properly. The "violation of company confidentiality policy" reason for my termination is just the money driven dealership's way of covering it's ass against a wrognful termination suit. Which I have no intention of persuing, because job like that, for that pay, are a dime a dozen.

So I leave you with this. While I'm sure that most of you will dismiss this post as a bitter man venting, I'd like to think that some of you read that quote from the acuramdx.org member, the few meager words I typed as well, and maybe you all need to "learn something from your conduct" as the last post said.

Master Tech, and a better human being than some of you,

Rob

you may be right about that, but one of the fundamental beliefs of a disgruntled person is that they are unhappy for perfectly good reasons. they are already 'taking it personally', and the more negative personal attacks they receive the more justified they feel. i dont wish illwill towards anyone and i hope everything works out for him. i certainly dont want to encourage whatever anger and unhappiness he may have. so, ive merely pointed out my perception of the choices he made, not attacked the person. he could be a good guy for all i know, going through a bad time. maybe next time he'll find a different job instead of setting himself up to get fired. almost everybody who hates their job gets out one way or another, but he could haven chosen a different way of going about it. end of the day anything i could say attacking him would say more about me than it would about what he did.

kudos to the acura dealer for getting both him and dealership out of a bad situation.

Originally posted by LETZ RUN:

"You guys" are a bunch of ... "You guys" are so immature..... I bet "you guys" feel...
"You guys" are a joke.

That came from one thread. Rob, your post makes a LOT of points, some good, some not.

Regardless, it's apparent you're an intelligent guy. And I'm sure you have had your share of a**ho**e Acura owners obviously including NSX's. But ya know what?it's most likely these people were a**ho**s BEFORE they got their NSX. The car was just a catilyst.

There are a lot of people on this forum, many don't yet own an NSX, just hope to some day. Others have busted their ass so they could get one. And you know what? They drive the SHIT out of them. On that point we agree. A car is meantto be driven. BTW nice thing about the NSX is you CAN drive the hell out of it and it still gets you back and forth to work every day.

Rob, you mentioned a lot about "you guys."
When you say that, all I think of is a bunch of tycoons sitting in a men's club smoking cigars laughing at the misfortunes of others or more directly, how they influenced those misfortunes. Does that paint your picture? sad.

Look, I don't know a lot. But you do seem like a decent guy (albeit pissed at NSX owners). Some of the people on this forum ARE mechanics. Some of them also make LESS than you. Some of them (believe it or not)may actually BACK YOU UP in a bar room brawl if they believed you were treated unfairly, may actually bend an elbow with you after work.

On the other hand, I had a mechanic spit on my NSX. HE NEVER MET ME. He judged me on this car. And THAT sucks. Maybe there's a middle ground? Hope so. Good luck to you...

this has been done to death...

as was so eloquently pointed out by a previous poster, ROB got rob fired. and it was because he did EXACTLY what the dealer claimed; he released private customer information on the internet. that's a BIG no-no in ANY business. i'm sure the fact that he hates acuras and hondas had a little to do with it but the main reason is valid for ANY service business. you can't expect the hand that gets repeatedly bitten to keep coming back with cash in it. yeah there are some stupid NSX owners (myself, for example, at times). that doesn't mean we should be ridiculed in public. anyway, it's the end of an unfortunate chapter. i hope rob finds something he likes.

now, as for hondas/acuras... i've had 5 (2 NSX's, 2 CR-V's and 1 CRX) since 1992. i think they are the best cars on the road and i will buy nothing else. during this same time frame, i've also had 2 new BMW's and drove my ex-gf's porsche. no thanks ever again. it was fun driving them but i got tired of the new BMW's being in the shop all the time.

as a side note, my wife and i are buying a new MDX early next year. this will make number 6
smile.gif

------------------
Kaye & Trish
1998 NSX-T #176
Red/Tan
No mods...
NSXCA #108

[This message has been edited by Number 6 (edited 29 September 2002).]

Originally posted by Ponyboy:
That is the longest post on I've ever read on Prime. I'm tired.

No it isn't. MAJOR STONER's recent post (the one where he copied a racist diatribe from one of his white supremacist websites) was a lot longer. But it wasn't original, and it has since been deleted. Rob's may be the longest original post on NSXprime.

Incidentally, I really resent Rob's whining about any NSX owner who doesn't put a lot of miles on his car. There are lots of different kinds of people who buy our cars. Some buy them to drive them on a racetrack (where they are very competitive, despite Rob's rant). Some buy them to drive every day and are happy to pile miles on them. And yes, some buy them for the pride of ownership and to keep them pristine in the garage with low miles. There are all kinds of people buying NSXs for all kinds of reasons. Who can say that anyone else's usage is wrong? I think that's incredibly judgmental and narrow-minded. Different people have different needs and priorities, and if someone gets an NSX to drive it 500 miles a year, and someone else gets an NSX to drive it 50,000 miles a year, those are their cars, and their choices. If you have an NSX, enjoy it any way you see fit, and don't cast aspersions against those who find a different way to enjoy theirs.

The one part of this that it seems Rob is forgetting about, is that it was his choice to go online and say the things he said.

Knowing that Rob would go online and talk about the customers that came into Los Gatos Acura, would I want to go in there only to see Rob online the next day talking about how stupid I am? Unlikely. Does that mean I wish Rob would get fired as a result? No. But it does mean that I would think twice about going into Los Gatos Acura in the first place, which is the same thing the dealership saw.

I don't know who called, or what was said, but in the end the dealership realized that having Rob posting online about their cars and their customers in a negative light was bad for business, and it was.

Not everyone may like all of their customers, or even all of their products, but to complain openly about either (or both) in a forum where they are present is unprofessional, and certainly deserving of whatever action the business deems appropriate.

I saw no need to make any phone calls, I speak like most customers do... with my feet, walking (or driving my overpriced car) eslewhere.

Best of luck wherever you may end up, Rob, it seems your job didn't mean all that much to you to begin with, maybe your next one will.

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 29 September 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Incidentally, I really resent Rob's whining about any NSX owner who doesn't put a lot of miles on his car. There are lots of different kinds of people who buy our cars.

I'm with nsxtasy on this one. Who is anyone to judge how I appreciate my car?

To me, the NSX is a work of art. I'd rather feast my eyes on beautiful cars than expensive paintings. Just because they can be used for other purposes don't mean they *have* to be. If cars were only good for one thing, they would all have the same bland build and appearance.

You know what I really think is a waste? Trucks and SUVs that aren't used to haul people around OR driven off road. I wonder, how often do soccer moms--or people like Rob--carry cargo that wouldn't fit into a cheap econobox? How many times do they go camping or go 4-wheeling? Wouldn't it be much more finacially prudent, and practical, to rent a truck/SUV when people only *needed* one?

The point is, we all have different wants and needs. I wouldn't be so quick to judge others until I took a good hard look at my own vices.

My $0.02

I still come here even though I sold my NSX. I find overall really good people here. Every group no matter what always has someone who is a little out the norm. So what! Rob is out of the norm for NSX techs. This is a waste of band-width. Rob was wrong and probably won't learn from his errors.

Time for everyone to move on specifically Rob. Let's get back to something more important like what's the best order for performance mods or the best heel-toe shifting technique.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
I'm with nsxtasy on this one. Who is anyone to judge how I appreciate my car?

To me, the NSX is a work of art. I'd rather feast my eyes on beautiful cars than expensive paintings. Just because they can be used for other purposes don't mean they *have* to be. If cars were only good for one thing, they would all have the same bland build and appearance.

You know what I really think is a waste? Trucks and SUVs that aren't used to haul people around OR driven off road. I wonder, how often do soccer moms--or people like Rob--carry cargo that wouldn't fit into a cheap econobox? How many times do they go camping or go 4-wheeling? Wouldn't it be much more finacially prudent, and practical, to rent a truck/SUV when people only *needed* one?

The point is, we all have different wants and needs. I wouldn't be so quick to judge others until I took a good hard look at my own vices.

My $0.02

I am also with nsxtasy on this one. I have my NSX for reasons not even stated as of yet. The older NSX holds it value. If I am going to tie up 30 to 40 grand in a car I want the car to retain as much of its value as possible. BTW I am one of the 500 mile per year people.

PHOEN$X, if you believe in what nsxtasy is saying, then how can you pass judgment on suv and truck owners in the following breath? I do not have any kids or ten people to haul around in my HUGE truck. I do use it for utility purposes however, that is not why I bought it. I want the advantage if I happen to be in an accident so I bought the largest truck available. This is not an advantage you get out of an econobox.

I too had to chuckle at Phoen$X's double standard about trucks and SUV's....

Who is anyone to judge how I appreciate my truck or SUV?

To me, a nice truck or cool SUV is a work of art. I'd rather feast my eyes on beautiful trucks and SUVs than expensive paintings. Just because they can be used for other purposes don't mean they *have* to be. If trucks and SUVs were only good for one thing, they would all have the same bland build and appearance.

My $0.02

wink.gif

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

I want the advantage if I happen to be in an accident so I bought the largest truck available. This is not an advantage you get out of an econobox.[/b}
That's right. It's always better to kill the other person in the accident than to kill yourself. This is the reason why so many people buy HUGE trucks and SUVs - Safety! The heavier the vehicle you drive the higher the chances that you will walk away and the other people will die.

I enjoy driving my NSX but I'm always hoping I will not have an accident with an Excursion or another one of those huge vehicles because I will most certainly be the one who dies. Life is not fair, those with the biggest guns and or SUVs and Trucks will always have an advantage.

I'm not ragging on truck/SUV owners, I was just trying to give Rob (who drives a Silverado) a taste of his own medicine
wink.gif

I don't care what people drive, as long as they're considerate drivers and don't hurl rocks at my NSX!

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 30 September 2002).]

I personally am so glad this assclown Rob got fired that it literally made me laugh out loud to myself when I read the news. Yes Rob, I am personally enjoying your misfortune. I sincerely hope it continues.

Just like the morons at fast food places that get caught spitting on the food and fired, the thought of this imbecile working on my car makes me shiver. God knows what he's done to customer cars already, think about what an improperly motivated master tech could do to a car and not leave tracks. *shudders*

There is justice in life afterall, and there's also one less ignorant hater working on NSXs.

smile.gif

hey, i have two suvs, both over 5k curb weight(escalade and range rover), and i dont want to get in an accident and kill someone else. but if i get hit i DO want the greatest odds of walking away. Thats why my wife and kids drive an suv, and i drive one because they need me to support them. its not intentional darwinism, but it is a pragmatic choice for my family at this time.

From a bystander watching this drama with amusement..

Granted:
1. Rob is at fault for divulging enough clues to let others identify customers of the dealership he works at. No argument there, he is at fault

However:
1. Many here question his competence. Many said that they will be scared that Rob will work on their car. Why is his technical competency being questioned? He is not like the 140MPH Mustang boy who abused customers cars. This incompetent argument just flat ass does not hold up unless someone can prove he is incompetent

2. Just because he has unfavourable opinions of a car many of you loves, does that make him any incompetent? I'll bet the janitors at my office or the prostitutes downtown don't like their job too much either, but does that mean they are not good at what they do? Yeah, he badmouthed customers, and that is bad form. Can any of you who called him on that and are well off and work at a white collar job honestly said that you've never done the same badmouthing a boss or client? Yes he did it in public, but the truth of the matter is we've all done it

3. Phoen$x, you brought up the SUX point below:

"You know what I really think is a waste? Trucks and SUVs that aren't used to haul people around OR driven off road. I wonder, how often do soccer moms--or people like Rob--carry cargo that wouldn't fit into a cheap econobox? How many times do they go camping or go 4-wheeling? Wouldn't it be much more finacially prudent, and practical, to rent a truck/SUV when people only *needed* one?"

SUV/Pickup ownes buy a car they don't use for the same reason NSX and Ferrari owners spend a ton of money on a 2 seater: BECAUSE THEY CAN. You can argus you bought the NSX because it is luxurious, and they can argue they bought a SUV for safety. Of course, they can just rent a wagon when they need to move stuff, but you can aso buy a Toyota Camry and nonate the other $70000 to charity. Why not? Because it is your money, right and why should you donate it? If you have the right to buy a fancy car, they have the right to buy a full size pick up also. if a barely used truck is a waste, then so is a low mileage NSX. Please don't take this as a flame, but merely a point-counterpoint

4. To the few of you that felt so hurt by Rob's impolite but personal opinions, and actually went out of your way, called Los Gatos Acura, and got him fired just so you have your own personal gratification in the form of revenge:

YOU ARE A SAD SAD PERSON.

What will you ever do when Larry Ellison pulls up next to you in his McLaren and laughs at your wannabe Japanese exotic? Are you gonna call Bill Gates and demand a hostile takeover of Oracle?

Wake up, and smell the majority of the people who don't give a rats ass about your NSX because to them, a car is a means of transportation. Oh wait, I forgot that you are genetically superior to the masses because you drives a NSX

(I'm truly sorry to offend the 98% of the NSX owners out there who are great human beings and fellow automotive enthuiasts. Please help the other 2% pullin their head out of their asses so they don't ruin it for the rest of you...)

Originally posted by Prime:
Wake up, and smell the majority of the people who don't give a rats ass about your NSX because to them, a car is a means of transportation. Oh wait, I forgot that you are genetically superior to the masses because you drives a NSX

I love it
rolleyes.gif
when I see (a) a first post (b) full of flames by someone who (c) doesn't disclose his/her e-mail address and (d) comes to our forums just to insult NSX owners. The first thought that comes to mind when I see a post from a loser like this is pretty much what he himself said:

YOU ARE A SAD SAD PERSON.

We spend time here sharing information about our cars and enjoying the camaraderie here. That's what these forums are about. Move along now, Prime, and spend your time someplace else, where you have some common interests with others. You certainly don't belong here, and your incendiary comments carry no credibility with us.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 October 2002).]

Back