Sold my 2004 NSX for $63k: Terrible resale value

CerberusM5 said:
I have read the same stats as well. I agree that to the untrained eye, that the Boxster, 996 and its various iterations can look similar. But to a sports car enthusiast, the differences are obvious.

Not much of a bug fan, but when ever I see bug, I run circles around them ALL DAY LONG....... :cool:

ss5153 said:
Sorry to hear about the depreciation from the nsx sale... oh well, as least you bought what you like now a Boxster GT2, nice VW. Wait, I didn't know that Volkswagen make GT2 Boxster. :confused: ???

I would take that VW Boxster GT2 any day of the week over our beloved “Honda made” supercar… Its amazing to see this kind of out lash for someone that sold his NSX because it did not make him happy. Isn’t it his car and pocketbook? Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love the NSX, maybe that is the reason I have five of them. But, I don’t think by any stretch of the imagination that a 15+-year-old sports car is on par with today’s super cars in all categories.

2slow2speed said:
Yep, and there are folks who have done 996TT => GT2 conversions as well (4WD => RWD and front end conversions of the car), I know about 3 local SF Bay Area 996TT owners that went that route instead of buying a GT2.

And as far as I know not that many folks paid MSRP for the GT2 last year either, hopefully you were able to locate one at a substantial lower price than 190K.

BTW: I'm not sure if you would enjoy the 360CS it's too raw for a car for the street, pretty good for a track car though if the price of a 360CS is not an issue.

Anyways, a lot of people will be taking potshots at you for your choice and your comments about the NSX. Whatever makes you happy, it will after all be your car.

Just make sure to not track any street car that has a heavily modified engine on the track unless you have a pretty good idea that the engine won't blow up on you and have a roll cage installed on the car. The last thing that you want to happen is to have the engine go while taking a high speed sweeper.

Safe driving,

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for your neutral responses. We all have our own opinions and preferences and don't have to like the same things.

By the way, why did you not like your GT3? I find that car quite entertaining to drive.

I plan to get very comfortable with the GT2 before I start modifying the engine and when I do, I will be sure it is proven and bulletproof. I want more power, but would like to reduce turbo lag at the same time, which will make applying throttle mid corner a little easier.

Thanks again.

Sandy

My unsolicited opinion...

some of you guys are being awfully harsh on a guy that was honest enough to say the NSX wasn't the right car for him. i, for one, don't see any problem with that. to each his own and i wish sandy the best with his next purchase.

Factor X Motorsports said:
I would take that VW Boxster GT2 any day of the week over our beloved “Honda made” supercar… Its amazing to see this kind of out lash for someone that sold his NSX because it did not make him happy. Isn’t it his car and pocketbook? Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love the NSX, maybe that is the reason I have five of them. But, I don’t think by any stretch of the imagination that a 15+-year-old sports car is on par with today’s super cars in all categories.

Thanks Ken for backing me up. You and Mikey are absolutely the Kings of megapower NSXs and your times at the Strip will probably never be beat by another NSX tuner, ever. Mighty impressive! Do I smell a roll-on exhibition between Garth's Heffner Viper (when completed) and the FX NSX TT?? :biggrin: I was trying to do my best Rudy impression in case you didn't notice.

I look forward to hanging out with you guys again real soon. That food you made at your BBQ was awesome. By the way, is Fart in school now? Also, when is the next Hawaii run? I want one of those massages. :wink:

Da Hapa said:

some of you guys are being awfully harsh on a guy that was honest enough to say the NSX wasn't the right car for him. i, for one, don't see any problem with that. to each his own and i wish sandy the best with his next purchase.

Thanks Christian! :smile:

The fact that Sandy traded his NSX in for a GT2 justifies all he has been saying about the NSXs power, or so said lack of.

If what intoxicates him is GT2 type power, then moving on from the NSX was probably the best move. Too bad it was so impulsive, his exit of the car could have been a better experience for him.

That said, some lucky b@stards entry into NSXland could not have been better....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1077483&forum_id=4

Here is my post when I sold my last car. Was there for many happy yrs and was a fairly well respected knowledgeable member. I made many friends.
But found it time to move on. Never mentioned what I sold my car for.
No idea what exactly you are doing? No idea what you are looking for?
I spent 1/3 of what my last car sold for, you doubled +. So what?
I fail to see the point.
Good luck with your new car.
Thats about all I can muster up. :biggrin:

CerberusM5 said:
Thanks for the clarification. A lot of people confuse it with the GT3.
I agree that to the untrained eye, that the Boxster, 996 and its various iterations can look similar. But to a sports car enthusiast, the differences are obvious.
To this sports car enthusiast, the Boxster and the GT look totally different from the various 911 models, but the various 911 models all look alike. I know they changed various things from year to year and model to model - the shape of headlights, the fender flares, the whale tail, etc - but to me, any two late model 911s look alike and those differences are virtually indistinguishable. On the other hand, when you refer to "differences", the ones under the hood... er... trunk lid are substantial.

I should add that Porsche's model designations make things confusing as well. With most makes, when you add a number, the model goes up in capabilities/price along with the number; 7 Series > 5 Series > 3 Series, etc. So based on the model designation alone, you would expect the GT3 to be better than the GT2 and the GT2 to be better than the GT, when that is obviously not the case. It's also confusing that the GT2 and the GT are specialty versions of the Turbo, but the GT3 is a normally aspirated model slotted below the Turbo.

Incidentally, I don't think people here are being particularly harsh. Some of the comments are obviously intended to be humorous. I also don't think a new car is necessarily better than a 14-year-old one (some are, some aren't, and there are different ways to be "better"), just as a I don't think a car that costs twice as much is necessarily better (again, with the same caveats). I think most people here have plenty of respect and appreciation for the 911 Turbo in its many variations, just as we do for many other cars (some of which do some things better than the NSX, but the NSX is also awesome and deserves the same respect and appreciation as well - of course, now I'm preaching to the choir ;) ).

What I'm really trying to say is: Enjoy the new car!

P.S. This is the first topic I can recall on NSXprime in which there were three Kens actively participating! :D (Now, where's D'Ecosse?)

nsxtasy said:
P.S. This is the first topic I can recall on NSXprime in which there were three Kens actively participating! :D (Now, where's D'Ecosse?)
No value added here - just wanted to make it 4!!!
laugh.gif

Do I hear 5????

CerberusM5 said:
Thanks Ken for backing me up. You and Mikey are absolutely the Kings of megapower NSXs and your times at the Strip will probably never be beat by another NSX tuner, ever. Mighty impressive! Do I smell a roll-on exhibition between Garth's Heffner Viper (when completed) and the FX NSX TT?? :biggrin: I was trying to do my best Rudy impression in case you didn't notice.

I look forward to hanging out with you guys again real soon. That food you made at your BBQ was awesome. By the way, is Fart in school now? Also, when is the next Hawaii run? I want one of those massages. :wink:

We will run Garth and his Heffner if he gives us a 3/8 mile head start and that probably wont be enough :frown: But, we will take him to the DD outdoor course and eat him up all day :biggrin: Maybe when you get your GT2 done up and Garth gets his HeffnerViper back, and our TT NSX is complete we should head out there to shoot some footage for Garth's company:)

You were lucky that day of the BBQ, the Executive chef of Nine Steakhouse was manning it. Fart is heading off to college this week! We are definitely proud of the guy and where he is headed. Mikey is heading back to Hawaii next week, and I have no idea what kind of massages you are talking about…

Btw, since there are so many Ken’s on this thread I am deferring all comments and responses to Ken the King NSXTACY.

nsxtasy said:
Incidentally, I don't think people here are being particularly harsh. Some of the comments are obviously intended to be humorous. I also don't think a new car is necessarily better than a 14-year-old one (some are, some aren't, and there are different ways to be "better"), just as a I don't think a car that costs twice as much is necessarily better (again, with the same caveats). I think most people here have plenty of respect and appreciation for the 911 Turbo in its many variations, just as we do for many other cars (some of which do some things better than the NSX, but the NSX is also awesome and deserves the same respect and appreciation as well - of course, now I'm preaching to the choir ;) ).

What I'm really trying to say is: Enjoy the new car!
Well said and Thank you. :cool:

CerberusM5 said:
By the way, why did you not like your GT3? I find that car quite entertaining to drive.

Hi Sandy,

It's not that I disliked the GT3, I initially bought the car as my next track car, (3 of my track buddies purchased theirs too), but after a while it became aparent that driving around at the track with a 100K+ car was not going to be fun since that's way too much $$'s just to do track events, so I decided to sell it since I was not really planning to drive it on the street much.

I barely had over 1500 miles when I sold the car. Some of my track buddies will be doing/or have done the same because of similar reasons/issues.

I'll chill for a bit before I decide on another toy (for the street next time around), in the meantime my 97 NSX will do nicely for my track addiction :D, my next logical step would be to get into club racing but I've gotta take care of other stuff before I take the plunge :cool: (Already have a racing license, I just need to figure out some other things)

Have fun and best of luck with the GT2!

Ken

BTW: There is another ex NSX owner who has a Lotus Elise/(Exige?), GT3 and 360CS and he really liked his CS, but he's got other toys for the street if I recall correctly.

Da Hapa said:

I don't see which posts were harsh. I think someone can be honest without being insulting to a car that many people love here.

Factor X Motorsports said:
We will run Garth and his Heffner if he gives us a 3/8 mile head start and that probably wont be enough :frown: But, we will take him to the DD outdoor course and eat him up all day...

This is a perfect example of why no car out there does everything best; it's all a compromise in one area or another.

Either way, the GT2 sounds like a helluva car, and one of only a handful around the world that is worthy to be a replacement for a fine machine as the NSX. Congrats Cerberus, and enjoy the car!

MoreRPMs said:
This is a perfect example of why no car out there does everything best; it's all a compromise in one area or another.

Either way, the GT2 sounds like a helluva car, and one of only a handful around the world that is worthy to be a replacement for a fine machine as the NSX. Congrats Cerberus, and enjoy the car!

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm with Cerb on this one. The NSX is a great car but a GT2 will run circles around it. If I had the cabbage, I would consider it.

As for the looks. I really enjoy all the attentoin the NSX gets but it would be nice to be mistaken for a boxster once in a while. :biggrin: Think of all the innocent victims out there. Not too mention that cops probably won't even notice you for the sea of mid-life crisis boxsters floating around providing camoflage.

cheers2.gif

another realm!

996 -or- 997 911 GT2? :eek:

CerberusM5, please do post pics/insights/comments during your ownership experience. Congratz on the purchase - I think you may have found your niche`... Someone w/ a taste for $190k german uber-sportscars and a hunger for nearly 500hp can never have had their thirst quenched by a NSX. . . :wink:

Goodluck, and be safe!
icon14.gif

(I do often kid around about VW Beetle -> Porsche 911 -&- Boxster-headlights ~ 996-headlights... but I never mince words when it comes to performance, technology, and engineering... I see a 996/997 C2S in my driveway someday in the future! But, GT2, wow... :cool: )

Last edited:
Re: another realm!

Osiris_x11 said:
996 -or- 997 911 GT2? :eek:

CerberusM5, please do post pics/insights/comments during your ownership experience. Congratz on the purchase - I think you may have found your niche`... Someone w/ a taste for $190k german uber-sportscars and a hunger for nearly 500hp can never have had their thirst quenched by a NSX. . . :wink:

Goodluck, and be safe!
icon14.gif

Osiris,

It is a 996 GT2. Rumors are split whether Porsche will introduce a GT2 version of the 997 in a couple of years. The GT3 has been a strong success for Porsche and will surely continue with the 997 version due next summer.

I will definitely post pics and feedback (positive and negative) of my GT2. I will post my honest comments of the differences between the NSX and GT2. Thanks. :smile:

ss5153 said:
Hey, I just found a Boxster on Ebay for $16,888, nice car too, here is the url, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pors... 65618717QQrdZ1

Now, wait a minute, doesn't that car cost $100K when it's new, wow, I think someone just bought a lemon!

CerberusM5 said:
A 1998 Boxster probably had an original MSRP of approximately $40k.

Double the Boxster MSRP and your closer to the NSX MSRP. Double the selling price and you get $32k. New for $80k and selling for $32k? Now that would be terrible resale value. Do you have any prices of other cars you bought new and what they ended up selling for that had better resale value?

Educate me in Porsche. I went to the Porsche site and there they don't list any of their offerings as a GT2 ot GT3. I see a GT, the mid engine beauty they make. Is this what is being referred to?

pbassjo said:
Educate me in Porsche. I went to the Porsche site and there they don't list any of their offerings as a GT2 ot GT3. I see a GT, the mid engine beauty they make. Is this what is being referred to?

Hi Joe,

I'm not Sandy but I can answer your question.

The 911 model is internally known with a model designation of 997 for the current model year, both the GT2 and the GT3 were based on the 996 model as such they are not available in the 997 body style currently.

The 996GT2 was a 3.6 liter Twin Turbo with about 480HP stock IIRC, RWD using the same chassis as the 996TT (widebody) using a coil over suspension with adjustable height and adjustable sway bars and fixed wing.

The 996GT3 used the same egine as the 996GT2 or the 996TT, but it was a NA (No forced induction), RWD using a stiffened Carrera 2 chassis (narrowbody), it also used a coil over suspension with adjustable height settings and adjustable sway bars, the amount of sound insulation that was added to the GT3 was minimal, had a fixed rear wing and used the narrow body (Carrera 2) for better top end speed.

The GT3 was sold as a turn-key track car. There were actually 2 models of the 996GT3 that went into production a model commonly known as the MKI that was available everywhere else except the US with a very limited production run that was used to homologate the GT3RS race car that was run in the LeMans GT class, ALMS GTS class, GrandAm, etc, etc and the MKII which is the version that became available in the US with a more abundant production run, and there is another GT3 known as the GT3RS which was not available for the US market that was used to homologate the GT3RSR race car (it used a different front suspension geometry than the MKII GT3 and was also lighter and had more power than the MKII GT3)

The 996GT3 MKII was rated at 380HP, MKI's were rated at 360HP, GT3RS were rated at 425, but based on many dyno runs done by owners the MKII engine was *very* underrated by Porsche, depending on the car, some engines were really putting out anywhere from 400HP to 425HP at the crank.

And then there is the plain vanilla 996TT, using the same engine block as the one used on the GT2 (Twin Turbo) but using a 4WD chassis (widebody) with it's own specific non-adjustable suspension and lot's of creature comforts. (Not really a track car like the GT2 and the GT3).

Both the GT2 and the GT3 were available with either PCCB (Ceramic Brakes) or with regular brakes that were substantially larger than the 996TT.

The 996TT, GT2 and GT3 shared engines, the engines used dry sump lubrication built in and were based on the racing engine that was designed for the 996GT1 car (exotic car based on the GT1 racecar made by Porsche during the 1997-1998 model year) So they were really race engines that were put on street cars, very different from the engine on the rest of the 996 like the Carrera2, Carrera4 which used engines derived from the one used on the Boxster (thus the infamous RMS issues on the early model 996's as well as the Boxster, which the GT2/GT3/TT did not suffer from)

Hope that this clarifies things a bit. There is a lot of history on Porsche's so trying to keep track of which car is what can be a pain for those who are not familiar with them.

Ken

Last edited:
"I see a GT, the mid engine beauty they make. Is this what is being referred to?"

Carrera GT's are cool. Have not had the chance to drive one, but often check out the 2 or 3 that show up at Crystal Cove (Local Sat morning car meet)

Are you thinking its a Carrera GT ? http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/carrera_gt.asp
and here
http://www22.porsche.com/usa/models/carrera-gt/modelinformation/
and here
http://www22.porsche.com/usa/models/carrera-gt/modelinformation/experience/

996GT2
http://www.porsches.8m.net/996gt2.htm

Back