Sold my 2004 NSX for $63k: Terrible resale value

awsomr1 said:
Sandy,

I remember advising you that you will take a big hit if you sell within the first year. And you should but the lost into a FactoryX Turbo, that would have solve your hunger for HP.

Good Luck

Thanks James.

I am already looking into the aftermarket performance packages for my GT2. I am looking into a 700 hp/700 lb ft package utilizing high flow Garrett turbos. Hopefully this will satisfy my hunger for power.

Take care.

While the suspension is the same give or take between stock nsx's the" tuning" is what goes on at your deallership called alignment(which can be quite off),and this coupled with non oem tires can give more understeer than usual.May not be your case but worth a mention.

2slow2speed said:
Unlike the 996 Turbo, the GT2 is a hard car to drive fast at the track (no Porsche Save Me Please feature) with the stock boost settings, just imagine how much harder it will be with the added HP that you are seeking.

If I had been you I would have gone straight into a F430 instead of going for a GT2, but then again there's a long waiting list for those right now.

I specifically chose the GT2 because it does not have traction control and stability control (PSM). I hate electronic nannies. I wanted a car this time around that would be a challenge to master. I have heard many times that the GT2 is evil and intimidating to drive fast on a road course. I welcome the challenge.

I also chose it because of the turbo motor and its ability to increase power relatively easily and inexpensively compared to a NA motor. 700 hp/700 torque is easily attainable for $25k.

F430's are trading for $80k over MSRP! I am not quite ready for that yet. Also, the $1300 fluid change is a little steep. The GT2 is a much more reasonable $360. Then again, neither can compare to the Honda's $40 oil change.

With that said, I have a feeling there will be a 360 Challenge Stradale in my near future. :smile:

docjohn said:
While the suspension is the same give or take between stock nsx's the" tuning" is what goes on at your deallership called alignment(which can be quite off),and this coupled with non oem tires can give more understeer than usual.May not be your case but worth a mention.

I agree, suspension settings are key to getting the car to handle at its peak. I only changed the springs on my car and had it realigned afterwards. My car experienced about the same amount of understeer with the stock and aftermarket wheels. Whether the alignment was done properly is another story. :confused:

CerberusM5 said:
I specifically chose the GT2 because it does not have traction control and stability control (PSM). I hate electronic nannies. I wanted a car this time around that would be a challenge to master. I have heard many times that the GT2 is evil and intimidating to drive fast on a road course. I welcome the challenge.

I also chose it because of the turbo motor and its ability to increase power relatively easily and inexpensively compared to a NA motor. 700 hp/700 torque is easily attainable for $25k.

Welcoming the challenge is one thing, being realistic is another.

Seriously, unless you are a professional race car driver or someone with *a lot* of driving experience a GT2 can bite your ass very quickly.

I know of several *very* experienced Porsche owners who have wrecked their stock GT2's, just imagine how much trouble a modified GT2 can get you into.

Anyways, whatever you end up getting in the end, just be careful.

L8TR

2slow2speed said:
Welcoming the challenge is one thing, being realistic is another.

Seriously, unless you are a professional race car driver or someone with *a lot* of driving experience a GT2 can bite your ass very quickly.

I know of several *very* experienced Porsche owners who have wrecked their stock GT2's, just imagine how much trouble a modified GT2 can get you into.

Anyways, whatever you end up getting in the end, just be careful.

L8TR

Thanks for the warning. I have heard the many stories of off road excursions in the GT2.

I am by no means a professional driver. However, I generally drive in the "A" groups at driving events. I would call myself an advanced driver on the scale of novice, intermediate, advanced and expert.

I will definitely not underestimate the GT2's power/handling characteristics, especially after its modified. Thanks.

Sandy,

Please be careful with that GT2. It sounds like it will be a serious handful for your "agressive street driving".

When do you take delivery?

NetViper said:
Sandy,

Please be careful with that GT2. It sounds like it will be a serious handful for your "agressive street driving".

When do you take delivery?

Hi Dave,

I will be sure to watch myself in the GT2. I take delivery this Thursday. :biggrin:

Aggressive street driving = only 5 MPH over the posted speed limit :wink:

Sandy

I echo Ken's advice,tread lightly on the track with the gt2.I have also seen an instructer level driver do a loopy crunchy with his new gt2 at the glen last year.

docjohn said:
I echo Ken's advice,tread lightly on the track with the gt2.I have also seen an instructer level driver do a loopy crunchy with his new gt2 at the glen last year.

I will be vey careful. I definitely do not want to be another GT2 driver going off road in his car. Thanks for the warning. :smile:

Congrats!!! to your new car..
theres also another guy here in prime that got the same car u have.
See Thread: Here
attachment.php

:smile:

amgnsx said:
theres also another guy here in prime that got the same car you have.
Many people would consider that a different car, even though they look alike. qirex bought a 911 Turbo, base sticker price around $130K new. Sandy (CerberusM5) bought a GT2, base sticker price around $190K. (Not to be confused with the GT3, base sticker price around $100K, or the GT, base sticker price around $440K.)

Sorry to hear about the depreciation from the nsx sale... oh well, as least you bought what you like now a Boxster GT2, nice VW. Wait, I didn't know that Volkswagen make GT2 Boxster. :confused: ???

nsxtasy said:
Many people would consider that a different car, even though they look alike. qirex bought a 911 Turbo, base sticker price around $130K new. Sandy (CerberusM5) bought a GT2, base sticker price around $190K. (Not to be confused with the GT3, base sticker price around $100K, or the GT, base sticker price around $440K.)
Amen. nsxtasy. i hear u.....
But... Better yet. If i ever wanted a "P" car (Most likely not) I’ll just go buy a Boxter for $30k and look similar to all of the above and not worry about any large loss on depreciation.
:biggrin:

nsxtasy said:

Ken,

Thanks for the clarification. A lot of people confuse it with the GT3. A guy I know said he saw 4 GTs at a local restaurant, which was unlikely but not impossible. The local dealer said there are probably only a dozen GT2s in Southern Nevada.

Take care.

Sandy

amgnsx said:
But... Better yet. If i ever wanted a "P" car (Most likely not) I’ll just go buy a Boxter for $30k and look similar to all of the above and not worry about any large loss on depreciation.

Hey, I just found a Boxster on Ebay for $16,888, nice car too, here is the url, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pors...iewItemQQcategoryZ6015QQitemZ4565618717QQrdZ1

Now, wait a minute, doesn't that car cost $100K when it's new, wow, I think someone just bought a lemon!

ss5153 said:
Sorry to hear about the depreciation from the nsx sale... oh well, as least you bought what you like now a Boxster GT2, nice VW. Wait, I didn't know that Volkswagen make GT2 Boxster. :confused: ???

Wanna race for vehicle titles against my Beetle? Didn't think so. :rolleyes:

amgnsx said:

But then you would only have performance on par with your current car.

CerberusM5 said:
Ken,

Thanks for the clarification. A lot of people confuse it with the GT3. A guy I know said he saw 4 GTs at a local restaurant, which was unlikely but not impossible. The local dealer said there are probably only a dozen GT2s in Southern Nevada.

Take care.

Sandy
only a dozen GT2s in Southern Nevada.???
hummm... i see one, two, or three every day. :rolleyes:

amgnsx said:
only a dozen GT2s in Southern Nevada.???
hummm... i see one, two, or three every day. :rolleyes:

Three every day? I guess that is possible, since the majority of GT2s are probably in the SF Bay Area, LA Area and Miami. There are a lot of nice cars in the Bay Area.

Just curious, how many 1991 NSXs like yours do you see each day??

CerberusM5 said:
Three every day? I guess that is possible, since the majority of GT2s are probably in the SF Bay Area, LA Area and Miami. There are a lot of nice cars in the Bay Area.

I think that he's making fun of the fact that the front end of the GT2 looks similar to those on other 996's (MK2's after the front end treatment change to differentiate from the boxster). IIRC there were less than 12 brand new GT2's that were sold in the US in MY2004 (read that either at rennlist, rennteam or 6speedonline can't really recall which one)

Ken

CerberusM5 said:

oh no. sorry,, u r right. don’t think they are gt2's i think they are boxter's or 911's. oh well who care's they all look the same.
1991 nsx like mine? (Well I just hope u know your numbers) hummm... Honestly. i don’t see any 1991 - 2003 NSX EVERYDAY it’s pretty rare to see an NSX around here in SF or bay area.
Wait on the second though i do see an NSX everyday. 2004 right before i leave my house.

2slow2speed said:
I think that he's making fun of the fact that the front end of the GT2 looks similar to those on other 996's (MK2's after the front end treatment change to differentiate from the boxster). IIRC there were less than 12 brand new GT2's that were sold in the US in MY2004 (read that either at rennlist, rennteam or 6speedonline can't really recall which one)

Ken

I have read the same stats as well. I agree that to the untrained eye, that the Boxster, 996 and its various iterations can look similar. But to a sports car enthusiast, the differences are obvious.

CerberusM5 said:
I have read the same stats as well. I agree that to the untrained eye, that the Boxster, 996 and its various iterations can look similar. But to a sports car enthusiast, the differences are obvious.

Yep, and there are folks who have done 996TT => GT2 conversions as well (4WD => RWD and front end conversions of the car), I know about 3 local SF Bay Area 996TT owners that went that route instead of buying a GT2.

And as far as I know not that many folks paid MSRP for the GT2 last year either, hopefully you were able to locate one at a substantial lower price than 190K.

BTW: I'm not sure if you would enjoy the 360CS it's too raw for a car for the street, pretty good for a track car though if the price of a 360CS is not an issue.

Anyways, a lot of people will be taking potshots at you for your choice and your comments about the NSX. Whatever makes you happy, it will after all be your car.

Just make sure to not track any street car that has a heavily modified engine on the track unless you have a pretty good idea that the engine won't blow up on you and have a roll cage installed on the car. The last thing that you want to happen is to have the engine go while taking a high speed sweeper.

Safe driving,

Ken

Last edited:
Back