Sold my 2004 NSX for $63k: Terrible resale value

pbassjo said:
I went to the Porsche site and there they don't list any of their offerings as a GT2 ot GT3. I see a GT, the mid engine beauty they make. Is this what is being referred to?
No. That's why I mentioned the prices of the GT2 and the GT3, to distinguish them from the GT and from each other.

The Edmunds website shows the Carrera GT as a separate designation, but lists the GT2 and GT3 variations if you list the various 911 models. Ken outlined the technical differences among them very well.

NsXMas said:
I don't see which posts were harsh. I think someone can be honest without being insulting to a car that many people love here.

Perhaps we see things differently then but telling a man who just sold an expensive asset for considerably less than he had hoped to sell it that "he gave that car away", and how he could have done so much better is just rubbing salt in the wound and harsh. At least IMO. And yes, I can see that perhaps the posts were intended to be humorous but pointing out Boxsters for $16K and taking pot shots about all P-cars looking the same seemed a bit harsh to me as well.

IMO, these kinds of comments are not the kinds of comments which most of us would make face to face. The relative ambiguity and security of the internet allows us to be a little less polite perhaps than we would be in real life.

My whole point was that the NSX isn't for everyone. So what? No need to kick the guy while he was clearly down (and I'm assuming he was down because of the fact that he even started this thread, his original post, and the title of this thread).

Sandy,
If you haven't taken delivery yet of your Pcar, there is a 2004 GT3 for sale local to me. Black on Black with 12.4k mi. for $89950. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you all the contact info. It is about 30mins from me and I can look at it if need be.
Take care,
John

I think some of the folks here know Sandy and that makes a difference,but for those who don't they might have been offput by his statement that the performance was "severely disapointing",since the term performance is so broad reaching and ambiguous.His gripes with the car have come to light during this thread and compared to what he can afford a stock or supercharged nsx can't cut it.Thats ok .I have driven a modded tt 996 and all I can say is that thrust is addictive,but I'd be in jail or worse if I owned one :wink:

2slow2speed said:
Hi Joe,

I'm not Sandy but I can answer your question.

The 911 model is internally known with a model designation of 997 for the current model year, both the GT2 and the GT3 were based on the 996 model as such they are not available in the 997 body style currently.

The 996GT2 was a 3.6 liter Twin Turbo with about 480HP stock IIRC, RWD using the same chassis as the 996TT (widebody) using a coil over suspension with adjustable height and adjustable sway bars and fixed wing.

The 996GT3 used the same egine as the 996GT2 or the 996TT, but it was a NA (No forced induction), RWD using a stiffened Carrera 2 chassis (narrowbody), it also used a coil over suspension with adjustable height settings and adjustable sway bars, the amount of sound insulation that was added to the GT3 was minimal, had a fixed rear wing and used the narrow body (Carrera 2) for better top end speed.

The GT3 was sold as a turn-key track car. There were actually 2 models of the 996GT3 that went into production a model commonly known as the MKI that was available everywhere else except the US with a very limited production run that was used to homologate the GT3RS race car that was run in the LeMans GT class, ALMS GTS class, GrandAm, etc, etc and the MKII which is the version that became available in the US with a more abundant production run, and there is another GT3 known as the GT3RS which was not available for the US market that was used to homologate the GT3RSR race car (it used a different front suspension geometry than the MKII GT3 and was also lighter and had more power than the MKII GT3)

The 996GT3 MKII was rated at 380HP, MKI's were rated at 360HP, GT3RS were rated at 425, but based on many dyno runs done by owners the MKII engine was *very* underrated by Porsche, depending on the car, some engines were really putting out anywhere from 400HP to 425HP at the crank.

And then there is the plain vanilla 996TT, using the same engine block as the one used on the GT2 (Twin Turbo) but using a 4WD chassis (widebody) with it's own specific non-adjustable suspension and lot's of creature comforts. (Not really a track car like the GT2 and the GT3).

Both the GT2 and the GT3 were available with either PCCB (Ceramic Brakes) or with regular brakes that were substantially larger than the 996TT.

The 996TT, GT2 and GT3 shared engines, the engines used dry sump lubrication built in and were based on the racing engine that was designed for the 996GT1 car (exotic car based on the GT1 racecar made by Porsche during the 1997-1998 model year) So they were really race engines that were put on street cars, very different from the engine on the rest of the 996 like the Carrera2, Carrera4 which used engines derived from the one used on the Boxster (thus the infamous RMS issues on the early model 996's as well as the Boxster, which the GT2/GT3/TT did not suffer from)

Hope that this clarifies things a bit. There is a lot of history on Porsche's so trying to keep track of which car is what can be a pain for those who are not familiar with them.

Ken

Ken,

I couldn't have explained it any better myself. The Porsche enthusiast in you is starting to show thru, you better tuck it back in before someone notices. :biggrin: Thanks!

ANYTIME said:
Sandy,
If you haven't taken delivery yet of your Pcar, there is a 2004 GT3 for sale local to me. Black on Black with 12.4k mi. for $89950. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you all the contact info. It is about 30mins from me and I can look at it if need be.
Take care,
John

Hey John,

I hope all things are well.

Believe me, I agonized over the money I could have saved by going the GT3 route for a long time. However, the money has been sent and it's a done deal. My car should be delivered tomorrow. :biggrin:

Thanks for the lead though. Also, when are you going to make it back to Vegas? It would be fun to have Dim Sum again and I am sure we could get Ken and Mikey to join us. :wink:

I personaly have no use for a 500+ hp street car, sounds like trouble to me,and there is a reason the exotic dealer neerby has 30 911s/997 ect ect cars on the lot, they are very popular and thats great if thats the car you want, but I prefer a car that performs well and doesnt look like everybody elses car and is as reliable as an acura legend...just my opinion..JZ :smile:

docjohn said:
I think some of the folks here know Sandy and that makes a difference,but for those who don't they might have been offput by his statement that the performance was "severely disapointing",since the term performance is so broad reaching and ambiguous.His gripes with the car have come to light during this thread and compared to what he can afford a stock or supercharged nsx can't cut it.Thats ok .I have driven a modded tt 996 and all I can say is that thrust is addictive,but I'd be in jail or worse if I owned one :wink:

I am sorry if I ruffled a few feathers among the crew here. It clearly was not my intention. It was meant only as means of venting my frustration. I know cars depreciate quickly, especially newer ones, but it still sucks nonetheless.

I am sure when I uncover the flaws and gripes I encounter with my GT2, I will surely voice them as well.

I originally bought the NSX because it was a dream car I admired when I was younger. Unfortunately, the car's performance was not up to my current expectations. Overall, I still think the NSX is a wonderful sports car, just not enough spice in the areas I find more important (power and driving intensity). On the flipside, I would bet my GT2 will be nowhere as comfortable to drive on a daily basis as the NSX.

We all have different priorities when it comes to our sports car needs, which is why there are so many choices to choose from. :biggrin:

Last edited:
CerberusM5 said:
I am sorry if I ruffled a few feathers among the crew here. It clearly was not my intention. It was meant only as means of venting my frustration. I know cars depreciate quickly, especially newer ones, but it still sucks nonetheless.

I am sure when I uncover the flaws and gripes I encounter with my GT2, I will surely voice them as well.

I originally bought the NSX because it was a dream car I admired when I was younger. Unfortunately, the car's performance was not up to my current expectations. Overall, I still think the NSX is a wonderful sports car, just not enough spice in the areas I find more important (power and driving intensity). On the flipside, I would bet my GT2 will be nowhere as comfortable to drive on a daily basis as the NSX.

We all have different priorities when it comes to our sports car needs, which is why there are so many choices to choose from. :biggrin:

you should have posted this post right after your original post that ruffled some peoples feathers...NSXPrime is not a place to rag on an NSX's performance, value, style, etc. and not expect some negative feedback...
Good luck with the GT2.... :biggrin:

WARNING: Humor Content

ANYTIME said:
If you haven't taken delivery yet of your Pcar, there is a 2004 GT3 for sale local to me. Black on Black with 12.4k mi. for $89950.
The GT3 is an entirely different car from the GT2 that Sandy bought. The GT2 is a two-seat sports car with a 3.6-liter turbo putting out about 480 horsepower. The GT3 is a normally aspirated all-wheel-drive sport utility vehicle that seats five, with a V6 that puts out 247 horsepower. But as you can see, all Porsche's look alike:

GT2:

GT3:

:D

Re: WARNING: Humor Content

nsxtasy said:
The GT3 is an entirely different car from the GT2 that Sandy bought. The GT2 is a two-seat sports car with a 3.6-liter turbo putting out about 480 horsepower. The GT3 is a normally aspirated all-wheel-drive sport utility vehicle that seats five, with a V6 that puts out 247 horsepower. But as you can see, all Porsche's look alike:

GT2:

GT3:

:D

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I agree with Da Hapa, give the guy a break. He is still a car person, like all of us, he is still buying a nice car, and he had the courage to tell us about it. I too have owned many Porsches and they were all nice cars. The only thing that turned me off and caused me to sell the last one, which I bought new, was the decline of quality in the interior and the fact that Porsches prices are quite high for options for no reason. So I decided to sell my C4S (made one call and got exactly what I wanted from someone who had admired the car since I bought it 6.2 years earler.) and buy the NSX-T.

Who knows, I do like the new body (997) on the Carrera C4S.....so does my wife. But I really love the looks and the entire fitment of the NSX. No comparison when driving the two of them. NSX hands down winner IMO.

CerberusM5 said:
I originally bought the NSX because it was a dream car I admired when I was younger. Unfortunately, the car's performance was not up to my current expectations. Overall, I still think the NSX is a wonderful sports car, just not enough spice in the areas I find more important (power and driving intensity).

Charleston is probably the worst thing that could have happened to us. Completely taints your perspective.

GT2? For that price you could get a 550M or a Diablo or something. Even cheap cars these days go fast enough to kill you very easily, so why not buy something cool? The GT2 is just another turbo Carrera.

I would have bought your NSX for $64k. If you rashly decide to dump the GT2 or M5 at 15% below market when they disappoint you, please PM me.

Factor X Motorsports said:
Charleston is probably the worst thing that could have happened to us. Completely taints your perspective.

I agree. Everything stock is relatively slow around that crowd. From what I heard the turnout has been declining and some of the guys are selling their cars. Have you guys been out there recently?

CerberusM5 said:
I agree. Everything stock is relatively slow around that crowd. From what I heard the turnout has been declining and some of the guys are selling their cars. Have you guys been out there recently?

Havent been out there in about a month. There has been a bit of turmoil from what we here, and I guess the date has been changed due to the over exposure of Sunday. Alot of the guys are switching into different cars also. The Ligenfelter has been sold, Garth's 1ksupra has been sold, and Les is selling his TT ZO6. We are still looking for another viable platform that has not been overdone but cant really decide on one. Maybe an F-car or Lambo. We still love the NSX with boost though:)

Factor X Motorsports said:
Havent been out there in about a month. There has been a bit of turmoil from what we here, and I guess the date has been changed due to the over exposure of Sunday. Alot of the guys are switching into different cars also. The Ligenfelter has been sold, Garth's 1ksupra has been sold, and Les is selling his TT ZO6. We are still looking for another viable platform that has not been overdone but cant really decide on one. Maybe an F-car or Lambo. We still love the NSX with boost though:)

I heard the same things from Les. With the 1k Supra, TT ZO6 and the supercharged Viper gone, you are now the heir apparent, at least until Garth's 1400 hp Heffner twin turbo Viper appears. Then all you need to do is just turn up the boost, right? :smile:

By the way, I say modify both the F-car and Lambos. I would guess there is a much larger market with the Ferrari group though. It's about time you guys started working on real exotics. :wink:

CerberusM5 said:
I heard the same things from Les. With the 1k Supra, TT ZO6 and the supercharged Viper gone, you are now the heir apparent, at least until Garth's 1400 hp Heffner twin turbo Viper appears. Then all you need to do is just turn up the boost, right? :smile:

By the way, I say modify both the F-car and Lambos. I would guess there is a much larger market with the Ferrari group though. It's about time you guys started working on real exotics. :wink:

That’s right Trent’s Viper is no longer in town either. He may be jumping on our side of the fence soon with a turbo NSX. Its just going to be so hard for him to go from 1,200+ ft/lbs@2,800rpms to 400+ftlbs@ 4,200rpms. Completely different driving experiences. Personally I think the NSX is a much more exhilarating and versatile experience.

Boosting a Lambo sounds like a good idea since it has been done before with great success. Its just hard to justify that kind of investment, especially after looking back at the time and money it took to get the NSX on boost sorted out.

Btw, our “Honda” is more exotic than your “VW” :tongue:

wanttobeansxowner said:
Could've said it better myself, just to add little, I own a 94 and the engine has less HP then your 2004. And I can not say enough good thing about the car, just drove to the FL, Keys. and back 430 miles one way (a tank and half). It was hot the heat index in the 110 degree range. The A/C work great no problems with the car got compliments every time I stop. You should have consisted a SC. Your not going to find a better all round sport car then NSX for less than 100 grand and than wait to you have paid for maintain. Good luck on your search.

best allround sports car under 100k??

Easy!

996TT. I bought mine for $80k, they can be had in the 70s.

Ridiculously low 420HP stock, chip it for the proper 500.

Daily driver, bulletproof engine.

Oh well, i guess its not all aluminum, and it doesnt have VTEC, but its still pretty fast.

amgnsx said:
Congrats!!! to your new car..
theres also another guy here in prime that got the same car u have.
See Thread: Here
attachment.php

:smile:

Hey Thats ME!!!!

Wow, brings back memories...

I havent touched my engine yet (still learning) to drive the car HARD with PSM turned off.

Since then, i've done some light exterior mods, but damn i love this car.

qirex said:
best allround sports car under 100k??
CerberusM5 said:
I would say the GT3, and the C6 Z06 if on a lower budget.
When most people talk about the best such-and-such car under a certain dollar figure, they're talking about the price of new cars (like Sandy is), not used cars (like qirex). That's because used cars can vary so much in mileage and vintage and condition, whereas new cars are all the same from one example to another. The concept is an "apples to apples comparison" - the same idea as comparing performance normally means bone stock cars because mods can vary so widely from one car to another.

There are a lot of nice cars these days in all price brackets. Depending on exactly what you're looking for, some of the best all-around sports cars under $100K (new) include the GT3 (although options can easily move the price above $100K), the NSX (until it's no longer available new), the Viper, the C6 (you can't put the C6 Z06 on the list until it's actually on the market), and the M3 (but not the 911 Turbo, which is around $130K new). All very different from each other in many ways, but each outstanding at something and all around good enough to be mentioned.

Back