So far... more to come

• Thread starter Thread starter BD
  • Start date Start date
Hey Vance.....don't want to bust up your glory but I'm way to excited!

And still till HOT off Vance's car, I now own 1/6 NSX-R Replica gauges :biggrin: in MPH.

NSX-RGauges.jpg

Thanks again Vance....I'm one happy customer

Vancehu said:
Are you guys running on KPH or MPH in Hong Kong? If MPH, you need to replace every part in the clutster set. There are three different sweeping ratios. 180 KPH, 300 KPH, and 180 MPH. The circuit board in the back dictate that along with the odometer.

My car come with one in MPH but i do have an other cluster that i got it from a friend and it is in km/hr......

EK4 hatchback said:
My car come with one in MPH but i do have an other cluster that i got it from a friend and it is in km/hr......

OK, second question, is your car OBDI or OBDII? The clusters are not interchangable. If you have OBDI, you can't use the NA2 Type R clutster unless:

If you have an OBD I car:

With MPH, you will need to find a Japanese vender to provide you an aftermarket speedo circuit board for 300 kph. Because NSX-R NA2 cluster set is for OBDII, and JDM NA1 NSX comes with 180 KPH Speedo circuit. POP DESIGN has the replacement board, but it is Yen 170,000, which make your conversion even more expensive than my.

With KPH, if you have an Euro spec car… I’m not sure if it comes with 280 or 300 kph speed, if it is 300 kph, all you have to do is to replace the pods and ignore the JDM OEM circuit boards. If not, you will need to order the after market board. The scale/sweeping from a 280kph speedo will not match, and you will not know how fast you’re going. According to Procar, all Detief had to do was to replace the pods, so I assumed European NSX are with 300 kph in any year trim.

OBD II car:
With MPH, replace every thing! That’s the only way for the speedo to match KPH odometer.

With KPH, replacing the pods only.

Last edited:
Vancehu said:
OK, second question, is your car OBDI or OBDII? The clusters are not interchangable. If you have OBDI, you can't use the NA2 Type R clutster unless:

With MPH, you will need to find a Japanese vender to provide you an aftermarket speedo circuit board for 300 kph. Because NSX-R NA2 cluster set is for OBDII, and JDM NA1 NSX comes with 180 KPH Speedo circuit. POP DESIGN has the replacement board, but it is Yen 170,000, which make your conversion even more expensive than my.

With KPH, if you have an Euro spec car… I’m not sure if it comes with 280 or 300 kph speed, if it is 300 kph, all you have to do is to replace the pods and ignore the JDM OEM circuit boards. If not, you will need to order the after market board. The scale/sweeping from a 280kph speedo will not match, and you will not know how fast you’re going. According to Procar, all Detief had to do was to replace the pods, so I assumed European NSX are with 300 kph in any year trim.

OBD II car:
With MPH, replace every thing! That’s the only way for the speedo to match KPH odometer.

Thanks for the details explanation. I need is to find a 300Km/hr speedo circuit board to have the speedo work on my NA1. Thanks.

The one on my car is 180MPH and the spare one is 180km/hr....so i need to find a 300km/hr speedo circuit board now....Thanks.

Are you going to add that NA1R carbonfiber frame (like Procar)??

Hi Vance, very detailed explanation but sometimes i'm just plain stupid.

I also ordered gauge cluster kit from Detlef not the parts separately and shouldn't worry about this, but just want to learn a bit more on what i'm getting, will also ask Detlef.

Obviously the different parts have to work together, mainly OBD and circuit board, the pods (round parts with printed numbers) just tells the speed calculated by the OBD and c.board.

My question is

1. Is 180 MPH = 300 KPM ?? If so, could anyone who has a 180 MPH (US spec) or obviously 300 KPM (Euro spec) speedo, replace it with a JDM NA2 NSX-R pod which is also 300 KPM, regardless of OBD I or II ??? shift lights are something apart, and definetly won't work on OBD I.

i'm reading your post back and forth, and get confused with replacing the whole NA2 NSX-R cluster into an ODB I NSX scenario or trying to make work the pod, circuit boards and ODB I or II. Did i made this even more complicated ??

Regards,

Antonio

Vancehu said:

OBD II car:

Last edited:
NSX PTY said:
Hi Vance, very detailed explanation but sometimes i'm just plain stupid.

I also ordered gauge cluster kit from Detlef not the parts separately and shouldn't worry about this, but just want to learn a bit more on what i'm getting, will also ask Detlef.

Obviously the different parts have to work together, mainly OBD and circuit board, the pods (round parts with printed numbers) just tells the speed calculated by the OBD and c.board.

My question is

1. Is 180 MPH = 300 KPM ?? If so, could anyone who has a 180 MPH (US spec) or obviously 300 KPM (Euro spec) speedo, replace it with a JDM NA2 NSX-R pod which is also 300 KPM, regardless of OBD I or II ??? shift lights are something apart, and definetly won't work on OBD I.

i'm reading your post back and forth, and get confused with replacing the whole NA2 NSX-R cluster into an ODB I NSX scenario or trying to make work the pod, circuit boards and ODB I or II. Did i made this even more complicated ??

Regards,

Antonio

I assumed you have a USDM OBD I Car.

Two things:

When putting the KPH and MPH speedo side by side, you will see the needles sweep at a different rate/scale.

When plug an OBDII circuit board into OBDI car, the needles will go crazy. OBDI will not recognize the OBDII Boards.

With KPH speedo, the needle is sweeping at a different rate than MPH. Therefore, when you plug “only” the NA2 R gauge into your 91 NSX (OBDI), the needle will sweep, but will not show the actual speed. If you look at the picture of my entire NA2 R gauge set, it comes with the Pods and circuit board set. Since you can’t use the circuit board from the NA2 R Gauge cluster, you will need an after market JDM board made for 300KPH for your speedo pod to work. I believe the reason Detief’s car was plug and play because his car is a Euro spec car, which already had the OBDI 300KPH circuit board.

So basically, the only way for the NA2 R gauge set to be plug and play and work properly on OBDI car, you need a clutster set with 300KPH gauge circuit board to work.

There is always a chance I'm wrong, so when you get it, plug the pods in, if it doesn't give you an accurate reading of the speed, than I am correct with my investigation.

Last edited:
Thanks Vancehu,

I also pm'ed Detlef and all info match. In any case, i will just let Detlef do the necessary mods and Plug the gauge cluster when it arrives. This is really hard to find part, i will be really happy when i have it, congratulation to you too on this nice part.

Antonio

NSX PTY said:
Thanks Vancehu,

I also pm'ed Detlef and all info match. In any case, i will just let Detlef do the necessary mods and Plug the gauge cluster when it arrives. This is really hard to find part, i will be really happy when i have it, congratulation to you too on this nice part.

Antonio

This just came to my mind, you may be able to get the circuit board from a Canadian Honda dealer. By going that route, the cost will probably be minimal.

Vancehu said:

OBD II car:

Great effort Vance, well done.

As a side comment, when I replaced the KPH STACK dash in my NSX-R with the original NA1 NSX-R cluster I had to fit a converter to allow my KPH speedometer to work in MPH, I had it cheked with GPS and it seems very accurate.

Well done and keep it coming :biggrin: !

Here are some close up shot of the Type R gauge set. Little dusty, but I think those are the largest pictures available out there.

13449DSC00980.jpg

13449DSC00983.jpg

13449DSC00982.jpg

13449DSC00981.jpg

scorp965 said:
Everything on the cluster works, with the exception of the shift lights?

It looks good, you can't beat OEM for F&F.

I put the word out for a NA2 Type R ECU. That's the only way to get the shift light to work properly. Erick has a way to get it work, but it wouldn't light up like OEM.

Vancehu said:
I put the word out for a NA2 Type R ECU. That's the only way to get the shift light to work properly. Erick has a way to get it work, but it wouldn't light up like OEM.

If you take the LED leads, and use them for an aftermarket shift light, you could replicate the functionality of OEM... you could have done this with your overlay's, but you would have needed to source correct LED's and drill holes in the guage face... now you have the OEM LED's, and they're already in the cluster face, the hard part is done.

It is a relatively trivial procedure to get them to function... all you need is Erick in a good mood with his soldering iron, and a 2-stage shift light... Certainly this method of action would be more cost effective than trying to source an R ECU.

scorp965 said:
If you take the LED leads, and use them for an aftermarket shift light, you could replicate the functionality of OEM... you could have done this with your overlay's, but you would have needed to source correct LED's and drill holes in the guage face... now you have the OEM LED's, and they're already in the cluster face, the hard part is done.

It is a relatively trivial procedure to get them to function... all you need is Erick in a good mood with his soldering iron, and a 2-stage shift light... Certainly this method of action would be more cost effective than trying to source an R ECU.

Part of the desire to have the Type R ECU is also to have the better throttle response. Afer all, it is my desire to convert the car as true to a NA2 R as possible.

Man you are truely Hardcore:biggrin: - in a good way.

BTW, Let me know when you put your car up on ebay.:tongue:

Quick question.

I don't know if you addressed this or not but wouldn't resetting the mileage be considered unlawful?

Matt_337 said:
Quick question.

I don't know if you addressed this or not but wouldn't resetting the mileage be considered unlawful?

Yes. All that is going to kill the resale value of my car. That is why this car will never be for sale. Actually, I went to a shop and had it validated. The gauge set mileage was recorded while the new kilometer gauge starts from zero. Therefore, if I'm going to put the car on the market, I will have to take the original gauge to the shop and have them roll it forward to match the actual milealge.

I-C-You

Vancehu said:
Part of the desire to have the Type R ECU is also to have the better throttle response. Afer all, it is my desire to convert the car as true to a NA2 R as possible.
I have the NA-1 NSX-R ECU. It gives 10rwhp and 8500rpm. Any idea what the NA2 NSX-R ECU will give you in terms of performance via power/gains?

Great ongoing project, my man! We'll have some Habano's when I'm in towne.

Big Vance...:biggrin:

i have a Euro 300km/h stock scaled NSX :wink:

by what you say, i only need the pods and the red rings to have a NA2 NSX-R cluster in front of me when i drive, right??

if so...and since you bought Honda OEM... post here the 5 part numbers ( 4 for the different pods and 1 for the red rings panel) on the empty bags, so i can order them form japan :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

am i asking too much???? hope not aehehehhahae

UnhuZ said:
Big Vance...:biggrin:

i have a Euro 300km/h stock scaled NSX :wink:

by what you say, i only need the pods and the red rings to have a NA2 NSX-R cluster in front of me when i drive, right??

if so...and since you bought Honda OEM... post here the 5 part numbers ( 4 for the different pods and 1 for the red rings panel) on the empty bags, so i can order them form japan :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

am i asking too much???? hope not aehehehhahae

Unfortunately, the seller blocked out the parts number... The only two parts number available are the shifting lights....

I have it some where, but I need to locate it... give me some time.:wink:

Osiris_x11 said:
I have the NA-1 NSX-R ECU. It gives 10rwhp and 8500rpm. Any idea what the NA2 NSX-R ECU will give you in terms of performance via power/gains?

Great ongoing project, my man! We'll have some Habano's when I'm in towne.

I don't know the power gain is on NA2. I assumed it will give upwards of 20 plus HP. The problem I'm also facing is the DBW harness, Type R do use different harness...

Habanos it is, cigar on me when you get in.

The Type R Front under plate arrived today. I debated between the OEM piece vs. the Procar Piece for a long time, and I decided to go with the Procar piece. I will post pictures after installing it onto my car. There are some minor differences between the Procar product vs. OEM, so some fiddling required to fit it with the front bumper under cover. I have to say, the Procar unit is absolutely beautiful. It is much grander in person. It is also made with Dry Carbon process; therefore, much stronger than the typical Wet CF products out there.

Here are some pictures:
Underside
13449DSC00996.jpg

Top side
13449DSC00994.jpg

13449DSC00995.jpg

It is the replication of the Aluminum piece under the battery tray. Let's see how much fiddling is required to make it fit onto the Urathan front bumper under cover.
13449PicFetch-1.jpg

Back