So far... more to come

• Thread starter Thread starter BD
  • Start date Start date
Hi Ary,

Will get some posted soon, just waiting for the engine cover and I'll post a new thread rather than hi-jack Vance's

regards, Paul

Paul, start a new thread and show us some good pictures. You can always update the thread by adding more pictures:smile:

Paul, my DF CF hood is showing the CF weave, it is normal for that to happen. When painting onto CF, the paint will react differently than metal. It will soak into the materials that is holding the hood together.

Is that what you are talking about?

Vancehu, I have experienced this too but have a different opinion on what I think is actually happening. The paint is not reacting, the resin is. I think this will happen in wet lay up carbon fiber because of the construction process.
The resin is under catalyzed for ease of application ( longer working window) and for smooth, gloss surface appearance. Because it is starved it absorbs the catalysts and reducers in the top coat materials and the swells kind of like a sponge when it absorbs these materials.
If it was sufficiently catalyzed the refinish materials would not be able to penetrate the epoxy resin.

The FRP is the better choice if you are planning on painting the panel and the folks who sell these panels should stress that. (I did see a note on this on DF's site)

Senniha, I'm not trying to bum you out but I believe the buffing is a temp fix. I bet it is going to come back in the next two weeks.

Senninha, I'm not trying to bum you out but I believe the buffing is a temp fix. I bet it is going to come back in the next two weeks.

As above, I am expecting a return. Summer seems to have arrived here so will help settle everthing. Will share your experience (and pm) with my paintshop.

Vance, I'll get the camera out and kick of the thread soon.

regards, Paul

Vancehu, I have experienced this too but have a different opinion on what I think is actually happening. The paint is not reacting, the resin is. I think this will happen in wet lay up carbon fiber because of the construction process.

You are absolutely correct, the resin will soak in the paint. However, even with the dry carbon process, you can see the weave after paing it. The evidence is when you ever see a McLaren F1, F40/50, you can see the weave on the paint.

You are absolutely correct, the resin will soak in the paint. However, even with the dry carbon process, you can see the weave after paing it. The evidence is when you ever see a McLaren F1, F40/50, you can see the weave on the paint.

The dry process results in a thinner resin outer layer and you can even feel the texture on this style. The outer finish is quite a bit different than the products that are made with wet lay-up process which, if fully cured or catalyzed, will not easily absorb the solvents/hardeners used in refinishing.

Getting into a discussion on the carbon fiber making process and the whys and wherefores for seeing the weave after painting is not going to serve the folks on this forum. (Come to NSXPO and we can have a coctail and a private discussion on this stuff :smile: )

Bottom line is FRP outer hood/panels is the safer choice if you are planning to paint/refinish the panel with a color. DF does offer a FRP outside with a carbon inner structure hood, as you know, but that others may not be aware of.
That was my reason for hopping in.:wink:

Your car is looking good.

The dry process results in a thinner resin outer layer and you can even feel the texture on this style. The outer finish is quite a bit different than the products that are made with wet lay-up process which, if fully cured or catalyzed, will not easily absorb the solvents/hardeners used in refinishing.

Getting into a discussion on the carbon fiber making process and the whys and wherefores for seeing the weave after painting is not going to serve the folks on this forum. (Come to NSXPO and we can have a coctail and a private discussion on this stuff :smile: )

Bottom line is FRP outer hood/panels is the safer choice if you are planning to paint/refinish the panel with a color. DF does offer a FRP outside with a carbon inner structure hood, as you know, but that others may not be aware of.
That was my reason for hopping in.:wink:

Your car is looking good.

Peter is thinking about challenging all aftermarket NSX CF/FRP hood makers by setting something up for the expo. I was facinated by the idea. Yeah, Dry carbon do have rougher finish. I seen a body shop sand off the rough surface so the paint job can come up clean. It was on a Mugen S2k Hood.

Peter is thinking about challenging all aftermarket NSX CF/FRP hood makers by setting something up for the expo. I was facinated by the idea. Yeah, Dry carbon do have rougher finish. I seen a body shop sand off the rough surface so the paint job can come up clean. It was on a Mugen S2k Hood.

A challenge is cool but the problem is, these products are not sitting on shelve in stores where you could walk in and just pull them out to do random quality comparisons. I hope this does mean that you are coming to Ohio, I'd llke to meet you. :cool:

I have never seen a real Mugen S2k hood. They're dry carbon fiber? I'm surprised.

Frank,

i have a real nsx-r hood and the answer is NO .. you cannot see the weave. Honda went to great lengths preping this hood for paint so that the finish is very very smooth. They finish off the prep with championship white paint that is scuffed with very fine sandpaper and you could literaly clean and apply color right out of the box.

I also have a couple of mugen dry carbon s2000 hoods (one cleared and one painted body color) and i have looked closely at the construction of them versus the nsx-r hood.-- they are very very close.

Don't know what nsx-r wing you have, but the weave is showing through slightly on my procar wing... just like how it shows through the color coat on a f-50.

Thanks
tom

i have a real nsx-r hood and the answer is NO .. you cannot see the weave. Honda went to great lengths preping this hood for paint so that the finish is very very smooth. They finish off the prep with championship white paint that is scuffed with very fine sandpaper and you could literaly clean and apply color right out of the box.

NSX body panels come with a hard, white, epoxy primer that looks like paint. I bet this is what is on this hood and the fact that it is a catalyzed epoxy is why the carbon weave pattern does not show after refinishing.
Nothing is gong to penetrate that primer, it's like porcelain. Amazing stuff!
OEM NSX parts are absolutely awesome in this regard.

Frank,

I also have a couple of mugen dry carbon s2000 hoods (one cleared and one painted body color) and i have looked closely at the construction of them versus the nsx-r hood.-- they are very very close.

Don't know what nsx-r wing you have, but the weave is showing through slightly on my procar wing... just like how it shows through the color coat on a f-50.

Thanks
tom

Are you the mystery man to bought the NSX-R Hood from RJP? Congrat, it's a work of art!!!

Paul, start a new thread and show us some good pictures. You can always update the thread by adding more pictures:smile:
Hi Vance,

I took your advice but then forget to let you know, so I'm now putting this right and here's the link http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93959

Also, I have a question please. When you installed the NSX-R engine cover, what did you do with the switch and cable for the Targa roof that sits in the OEM Targa engine cover? I now have the cover although its not correct - RJ is trying to resolve the issue, I hope quite soon. As soon as I've cleaned the engine bay I hope to be installing this part.

Thanx in advance, Paul

thought i might be able to help you paul,

you can remove the harness that connects to the targa clamshell.
me and steve (nsx1) found out you can use a wire to bridge the connector plug to fix the T-top light on the gauge cluster.

i'll try to fix vance's too and take some pics.

Thanx Erick, photos would be a great help. Also, any joy on the front aero package please?

regards, Paul

thought i might be able to help you paul,

you can remove the harness that connects to the targa clamshell.
me and steve (nsx1) found out you can use a wire to bridge the connector plug to fix the T-top light on the gauge cluster.

i'll try to fix vance's too and take some pics.

Wow, this thread is back from the dead..lol

Thanks to Detlef and Erick, my NSX-R Gauge Shift light is working now.

It's fun to see it light up!!!

... When you installed the NSX-R engine cover, what did you do with the switch and cable for the Targa roof that sits in the OEM Targa engine cover? I now have the cover although its not correct - RJ is trying to resolve the issue, I hope quite soon. As soon as I've cleaned the engine bay I hope to be installing this part.

Thanx in advance, Paul

here you go paul.
thanks to nsx1, and up2yu for loaning his imola nsx-t.
102_7684_copy.jpg

Thanx Gents for info and loan NSX-T.

I have the overlay guage set from Vance. Do you think it is possible to get the shift lights working with these as they have the OEM still in place? I'm guessing not but thought I would ask.

regards, Paul

here you go paul.
thanks to nsx1, and up2yu for loaning his imola nsx-t.
102_7684_copy.jpg

Thanks to Detlef and Erick, my NSX-R Gauge Shift light is working now.

It's fun to see it light up!!!
Congratulations Vance,
Thats got to be really awesome seeing it light up, hope to see the lights soon.

the NSX-R shiftlights are awesome.
me and brian took turns flying up and down Beach blvd just to see them light up :biggrin:
hmm, I see, thx for the invite:rolleyes:, j/k couldn't make it anyway, not on weekends.

Back