since the old thread got deleted....

"Unless you actually meant to say basching... "
NSXTASY,
This is a good one. I laughed my head off...
Mark and Jim and??, there is a win situation!: Give the people what they think they want! Maybe you can convince some that 1/4 mile times are not important, depends on the driver or what ever. Bottom line, this will go on in eddies and circles because some people would not take "not getting what they want" for whatever reason (personal satisfaction). If the 1/4 mile times are "good" you can generate more interest/speculation/benchmarks. And, say you tested 1/4 mile time and you were not happy about the results, then.. If I were you I probably would say that 1/4 mile times were not a good representation of the supercharger's performance. I do not know what test you or anyone have done so please no offence to anyone. This is just what I think!

No more Basching

Originally posted by Smoothaccel:
"Unless you actually meant to say basching... "
NSXTASY,
This is a good one. I laughed my head off...

Yes, me too.
biggrin.gif

Mark and Jim and??, there is a win situation!: Give the people what they think they want! Maybe you can convince some that 1/4 mile times are not important, depends on the driver or what ever.

I'm not into convincing - if someone is interested in that let them test it.

Bottom line, this will go on in eddies and circles because some people would not take "not getting what they want" for whatever reason (personal satisfaction). If the 1/4 mile times are "good" you can generate more interest/speculation/benchmarks.

Clearly
biggrin.gif
, however, we already have over 200 people on the "I'm Interested in a BBSC" list right now. If we get that many kits made and installed this year I'll be quite happy and Mark Basch will have worked his fingers to the bone.

And, say you tested 1/4 mile time and you were not happy about the results, then.. If I were you I probably would say that 1/4 mile times were not a good representation of the supercharger's performance. I do not know what test you or anyone have done so please no offence to anyone. This is just what I think! No more Basching

Just the dyno testing and our lap times at the track. We have been discussing adding a "tuner car" track showcase at the end of the NSXPO Texas MotorSport Ranch track event this year, and I'm happy to take the Dali Candy Cane out on the track against any other vendors street legal "Tuner cars" that want to show up. (Gruppe M, CT, RM, Cybernation, etc.)

------------------
need more info? please private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

Originally posted by nsxlr8:
Mark, the car is fast. It really is. just take it to the 1/4 mile track. MPH is really the number everyone should look for though, not time. Because like tracking the car, 1/4 mile TIMEs have too much to do with the ability of the driver, not the car.

Doug Hayashi just set up a fun page:

I setup a "Honda Hall of Fame" for laptimes at various tracks. Format is:

1. Laptime and date (AMB or Hotlap preferred)
2. Tires used
3. Engine type
4. Suspension type
5. Comments/excuses.

For the bandwidth impaired, go to www.nsxfiles.com/fame.htm

I quote him without permission:

"In my opinion, here is only one thing that is really important in motorsports, and that is lap times. Horsepower wars are kinda stupid, because it doesn't really show what your car is capable of on the track. Meaning you could have 500 HP, but if your brakes sucks, and your suspension sucks, and you suck as a driver, then all you really have is 500 HP doing nothing but bling bling pimping on the dyno. Don't get me started on quarter mile times....you know where you drag racers fit on the Pyramid of Speed....."

Amen.

------------------
need more info? please private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

Originally posted by NSXGOD:
Don't get me started on quarter mile times....you know where you drag racers fit on the Pyramid of Speed....."

Great quote, Mark! Absolutely right! I'm assuming that since any decent back-half car does 0-150 in less than 5 sec. and Top Fuel cars hit 300 in single digits that you are referring to the little pointy part at the top of the pyramid?

[This message has been edited by David (edited 25 April 2002).]

"bling bling pimping" on the dyno...
Made me laugh.

Not sure how I feel about the (imo) seemingly condescending comment towards those who drag race. Doesn't seem tactful. Hopefully, I misunderstood the meaning of the comment "you know where you fit".

[This message has been edited by Sig (edited 25 April 2002).]

Well, I guess we will throw in our 2 cents. 1st off we think Doug's and
MJ's idea of a hall of fame for the various tracks is a great idea. If it
could somehow be organized as a points challenge that would be really fun
also. We just wish we had the time to run every weekend with you guys
smile.gif

Some would say running a car in the 1/4 mile takes just as much skill (Maybe
not the same kind of skill but, skill none the less). Try planting a 1000hp
onto 3sqft of rubber in a millisecond. 1/4 mile guys only have one chance
on a particular run, there is no catch up.

It seems that both sides have valid cases depending on what you do with your
NSX. Maybe the general public is interested in Dyno numbers and 1/4 mile
times because they are not heavy track guys and just enjoy the NSX as a
daily or weekend driver. This seems to be most of the market. What
percentage of NSXers out there are heavy track guys?

On the flip side how many guys out there just love to stab it out of the
gate, drop it into 3rd on the freeway, or just flat out have a blast carving
up the highway or canyons?

Here is a solution, lets just go faster in both arenas! Whether its
Comptech, Gruppe M, Basch, NSX Modified, or Factor X. We are all trying to
achieve the same goal, making the NSX king of the track/strip.

Speed Safely,

Factor X Motorsports

The "Pyramid of Speed" is supposed to be humorous, sarcastic, and tongue-in-cheek. Don't take anything I say too seriously and too personally.

The cone-dodgers and I have had some friendly smack talking going back and forth over the past six months, so I had to throw a bomb back towards them with the Pyramid. They are constantly baiting me to go out and dodge some cones with them, but since there is no "cheating bastard" advantage (they change the damn course every day), and because they have excellent suspension tuning skills, I usually have an excuse to avoid meeting them on their turf. I don't want to end up as a story on THEIR webpage, with pictures of them kicking my ass around some plastic cones.
smile.gif

This BBS needs to get a sense of humor and comraderie back. It ain't like the good old list days back in 1994/1995. Where's A.W. when ya need him...

Everyone measures achievement differently.

-Doug
p.s. Some just measure with higher standards. (hey, it's an ffing joke, okay?
smile.gif

p.p.s. How the hell did I get dragged into the infamous "deleted thread?". I was trying to keep my head low on this one....
wink.gif

p.p.p.s. You quarter mile guys are okay dudes. But if Big Daddy Don Garlits and Michael Schumacher were offered to swap skills, which person would be more inclined to switch? (hey its another ffing joke!)

[This message has been edited by Pulp Story Teller (edited 26 April 2002).]

Originally posted by David:
Having met Don Garlits several times, I have a hard time believing he would take an offer to prance around with F1 Eurotrash glitterarti as a lifestyle upgrade....... ; )

FOR $30,000,000.00 per year?(not counting endorsements)
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Fist off let me say that I like to take my cars to the dragstrip and to road coarses.

When I get a new car, I like to take it to the strip to see what times I can get. After I feel I nailed the run, I take the car home. If I make significant mods to a car, I usually take it back to the track to see what improvement if any I made. I have let semi-professional drivers take my car out and they have never beat the time I was able to achieve. I get bored after a while at the strip once I feel I have gotten my best time in the car. Overall I would consider myself a good driver at the dragstrip.

The road-coarse is a whole other animal, I am so slow compared to a good driver it is almost funny. I am getting better, but I have a LONG way to go until I would consider myself an OK driver. I also have a LOT of respect for the guys that go wheel to wheel racing, these cars are a different breed altogether. I have never gotten bored at a road coarse and wish I had one available to me everyday. I envy the guys that live in a warmer climate and are able to hit the tracks all year round.

It takes skill in both venues, but anyone who thinks that it takes as much skill to drag race cars is kidding themselves.

Originally posted by Carguy!:
It takes skill in both venues, but anyone who thinks that it takes as much skill to drag race cars is kidding themselves.

I agree. While I also think it takes skill to successfully launch, shift, and hold on to a drag car, it is nothing like going wheel to wheel with 20-30 other cars, coming to a turn, braking, and accelerating away for 30-50 miles (the average length of an SCCA amatuer race), all the while trying to pass the guy in front of you, keep the other guys behind you, and managing your tires so you have something left at the end. Now if that sounds easy
smile.gif
- try taking the fenders off the car and going open wheel racing! No wonder Schumacher earns what he earns and Garlits earns what he earns (no disrespect intended).

p.s. Sorry about the run-on sentences but I get kinda passionate about road racing
smile.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 26 April 2002).]

Originally posted by Pulp Story Teller:
This BBS needs to get a sense of humor and comraderie back. It ain't like the good old list days back in 1994/1995.

Hey Doug, I found your pyramid simply hilarious. Thanks to you, I now have a new perspective on life and my sole purpose for being alive is to get to the top of the pyramid...
biggrin.gif

I have an idea...

How would people feel if Lud created a separate "General Discussion" topic for Drag Racing?

It seems to me that there's always conflicts and bickering on this topic and I think things would be better if those who want to discuss drag racing or straight-line racing could do it in their own topic category.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Originally posted by Jimbo:
How would people feel if Lud created a separate "General Discussion" topic for Drag Racing?

A separate topic, or a new forum? The nsxprime forum for "Track Talk and Race Reports" already exists. Are you suggesting that Lud move this topic into that forum?

Ken,

I was talking about creating an entire new Drag Racing category that would be under the pop-up menu below.

I know there's a Track Talk and Race Reports forum/category but I think most people consider track and race to mean road racing and not drag racing.

Since there does seem to be some interest in NSX drag racing, I think it would make sense to have a new category.

-Jim

------------------

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I know there's a Track Talk and Race Reports forum/category but I think most people consider track and race to mean road racing and not drag racing.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Just look at Lud's description of the Track Talk and Race Reports forum (which appears along with the link to get to it):

"Share tips and experience on all forms of racing and high-performance driving whether it's road course, autocross or the drag strip. Also, discussion and results of professional racing worldwide."

Originally posted by Carguy!:

"Any fools can drive a modern racing car as fast as it will go in a straight line. Most fools can be taught to brake or to accelerate (also in a straight line) at very near the limit of tire adhesion. This has little to do with the driving of the racing car." Carroll Smith, Drive to Win
biggrin.gif

But I thought we are comparing the car ability. If that so, the Quarter mile number is in fact a very good information. If we comparing lap times, god forbid, I will win
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 26 April 2002).]

Ken,

I guess I was trying to suggest that the drag racers could have their own specific place.

It was just a suggestion.

-Jim

------------------

And take these great arguments away from us! NO WAY!! It's fun to see people lay out their passion like this. Seems like some of them should respect what someone else likes also but... Also they should remember that some of us are geographicly challenged and don't always have the twisty's at our backdoor. Hence, more likely to drag race. Yo Mark, are you reading! Ease up, you already got my order.

Back