Should the belt be changed?

According to my UK handbook,the belt should be changed after 60,000 miles or 5 years.
How come the US belts last 30,000 miles and 1 year longer?
Answer that smart arse.:biggrin:

Ok so your book is only 60k/5, US is 105k/7, and Japan is just the miles part....I want to change it but want to do the clutch at the same time which will be next year, so my 2002 will be 9, not bad. Since this is a Japanese car that was made in Japan, Im going to go off the Japanese book. Way back I posted my ford breaking and got flamed on lol. I wasnt trying to say look how great I treated the car but rather just a time interval/millage. I thrashed the car baddly and didnt even really change the oil, just kept adding. The prelude I just bought is a 97 and the belt just broke last year with 182000 miles on the car. Point is I think most people just want to hear others ideas and might make them feel better. Like I said I dont really have the funds to change the clutch and tb and wp so Im gona wait but I dont want to just let the car sit for a year since everyone makes it sound like my engine is doomed now that it is on year 8 of the service interval schedual. So thanks for posting up what is assumed to be the japanese service intervals, makes me feel much better.....So between ramon telling me im ok and the japanese stats I feel at peace :)

According to my UK handbook,the belt should be changed after 60,000 miles or 5 years.

1) Because the Brits wouldn't believe a car could go 90,000 with the same engine.

2) The timing belt has teeth and they think teeth always fall out.

3) NSX's have to meet UK standards and leak oil from day one.

Last edited:
Ok so your book is only 60k/5, US is 105k/7, and Japan is just the miles part....I want to change it but want to do the clutch at the same time which will be next year, so my 2002 will be 9, not bad. Since this is a Japanese car that was made in Japan, Im going to go off the Japanese book. Way back I posted my ford breaking and got flamed on lol. I wasnt trying to say look how great I treated the car but rather just a time interval/millage. I thrashed the car baddly and didnt even really change the oil, just kept adding. The prelude I just bought is a 97 and the belt just broke last year with 182000 miles on the car. Point is I think most people just want to hear others ideas and might make them feel better. Like I said I dont really have the funds to change the clutch and tb and wp so Im gona wait but I dont want to just let the car sit for a year since everyone makes it sound like my engine is doomed now that it is on year 8 of the service interval schedual. So thanks for posting up what is assumed to be the japanese service intervals, makes me feel much better.....So between ramon telling me im ok and the japanese stats I feel at peace :)

As an Englishman once said, "may you now sleep better at night, your rubber doesn't break, you lube you motor regularly so you stay out of an expensive predicament :biggrin:

As an Englishman once said, "may you now sleep better at night, your rubber doesn't break, you lube you motor regularly so you stay out of an expensive predicament :biggrin:

So just lube the engine up for a smooth experience and your good to go is what ur saying lol.

1) Because the Brits wouldn't believe a car could go 90,000 with the same engine.

Now that's funny....and you know Pbassjo has some British car experience to come up with that one. I swore em off a looooooong time ago - after my last stint with a Triumph Bonneville and other Brit cars - 2 minis. Prince of Darkness wiring - Lucas - gotta watch out in the rain on those cycles....lol.

But this is an interesting post to the tb issue from NSXFTW - Since you are already out at 9 years and I'm not sure of the miles but I wouldn't be treating my NSX like the Prelude or the Ford. This has surely been hashed out here long and strong - so you pays your quarter and takes yer chances as they say. However, the issue about not being able to afford these repairs is exactly what I was writing about as an answer to Ken and NSXstacy about this 25 per year scenario they were mentioning - this is exactly what my post addressed - lack of funds.

Only thing I will say to you is don't drive it hard! Letting it sit for year is a bad idea as well, but I sure as heck would be taking it easy in that car with the years and miles in consideration if it has high miles especially. You see the belt can also stretch and teeth can pop off - harder you drive the more of a risk you run - nuff said.

That is some funny stuff...:smile:

The three functions of a Lucas light switch:

1) Dim

2) Flicker

3) Off

And he ain't kiddin either....lol. That's exactly my experience with the Bonneville - damn and all that time I thought it was the bulb...lol. I gotta remember that one to follow up the "prince of darkness/lucas" referrence.

I wish I could remember all the rigging my brother did inside the engine compartment to keep his Morris Minor running...he was the king at rigging! He also rebuilt his VW engine WITHOUT a manual and it ran 5 years and on after he sold it. I asked him - Ray, how did you know what the torque of the bolts were - he said I took em off with the torque wrench :rolleyes: WOW.....that's all I could say. He also does Rubit's cube in 5 mins. and then on a diagonal in another 5.....

Hey Guys,

I just picked up the car today after having the belt changed. Decided to safe than sorry.

The old belt looked identical to the new one. I guess that is because the car only has 17,000 miles on it.

I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions on the matter. It only cost Me $1000.00 to get done, which is much better that replacing the entire powerplant for $20,000 plus. I can now sleep soundly.

Cheers

$1,000.00 is a great deal. Where was it done and what did it include?

Hey Guys,

I just picked up the car today after having the belt changed. Decided to safe than sorry.

The old belt looked identical to the new one. I guess that is because the car only has 17,000 miles on it.

I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions on the matter. It only cost Me $1000.00 to get done, which is much better that replacing the entire powerplant for $20,000 plus. I can now sleep soundly.

Cheers

Hey Guys,

Cheers

Are'nt you glad you asked:eek:

I didn't write the manual so I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that the difference is due to the rainy climate on your side of the pond.

Now we can go back to all the Lucas electrics jokes... Lucas, Prince of Darkness... Why do the Brits drink their beer warm? Lucas refrigerators...

I didn't write the manual so I don't know for sure, but my guess would be that the difference is due to the rainy climate on your side of the pond.

Now we can go back to all the Lucas electrics jokes... Lucas, Prince of Darkness... Why do the Brits drink their beer warm? Lucas refrigerators...

Man, those Lucas jokes are funny now but at the time it just sucked to have electrical gremlins with you British stuff. I loved that "dim, flicker, off" joke that is priceless.

I don't know if I mentioned this - probably have somewhere- but I had a friend that relied on his MG Midget as daily transport - poor old Bruce - anyway speaking of the ultimate frustration - I remember when he couldn't get his car running and he REALLY needed it to run - man - he took a ball peen hammer to that car and just beat every panel on it - just pounded that car to pieces - he had it towed off - NEVER to be seen again! Bought Japaneese after that - whew. Can you imagine how pissed you'd have to be to beat your car with a ball peen hammer.....geez!

He struggled with that car for at least 3 years....unreal. There's a Lucas story for ya!:rolleyes:

True story: My (ex) wife took a tour of a tall ship when to came to San Francisco. The tour guide told her the ship was French but the mast was British. "Does anyone know how we can tell?" "I don't know," my wife says, "because it leaks oil?" :biggrin:

We owned two Range Rovers. We know.

You Yankees should understand that many true Brits feel a refrigerator is optional for "real" beer drinking. Room temperature brings out the hops and flavor of the beer, so there are gains from not drinking ice cold beer. Now lets take a look at America's favorite "Budwiper". What little flavor the beer has disappears when ice cold, kinda like drinking water (that is what it should be called anyway). So when I'm watching football (the real football) nothing better that a room temperature English beer. :smile::smile::wink:

As for Lucas, my Mini Cooper S was plagued with electrical problems until I soldered and wrapped all loose wire connections.......

Last edited:
You Yankees should understand that many true Brits feel a refrigerator is optional for "real" beer drinking. Room temperature brings out the hops and flavor of the beer, so there are gains from not drinking ice cold beer. Now lets take a look at America's favorite "Budwiper". What little flavor the beer has disappears when ice cold, kinda like drinking water (that is what it should be called anyway). So when I'm watching football (the real football) nothing better that a room temperature English beer. :smile::smile::wink:

As for Lucas, my Mini Cooper S was plagued with electrical problems until I soldered and wrapped all loose wire connections.......

Gotta take what ole Sid is saying to heart about American beer now - well at least American big manufacturer beer. Some of the micro breweries are not bad at all - lots of folks like em. But otherwise the only way we can really stomach our beer like Butwiper- is to get it as cold as we can so we can't taste the pitiful hopless watery flavor - which isn't too good imho.

Personally I do not drink our beer - I like some foreign beer - some English beer - an ale - which is called falling down water over there! Cause apart from being more full bodied - it's actually got a real kick to it! So I don't think anyone will dispute this, well perhaps not in public for fear of redicule...lol. But I will say this, as sad a surprise it was for me, the last time I was across the pond - in Ireland- where they are known for some rather stout beer - I was in a bar and there were Irish younger folks drinking of ALLLL things - Budweizer - yeah - couldn't believe it - it's I guess some kind of import over there - I didn't get it personally and had another Harps.....or was it a "black and tan"....I digress.

But back to cars - you see what's in Sid's garrage now don't you...mmmmm... it's an American car and an NSX. Well how many budwiper cartons were in that Buick trunk when you bought it....????:eek::wink::biggrin:

Gotta take what ole Sid is saying to heart about American beer now - well at least American big manufacturer beer. Some of the micro breweries are not bad at all - lots of folks like em. But otherwise the only way we can really stomach our beer like Butwiper- is to get it as cold as we can so we can't taste the pitiful hopless watery flavor - which isn't too good imho.

Personally I do not drink our beer - I like some foreign beer - some English beer - an ale - which is called falling down water over there! Cause apart from being more full bodied - it's actually got a real kick to it! So I don't think anyone will dispute this, well perhaps not in public for fear of redicule...lol. But I will say this, as sad a surprise it was for me, the last time I was across the pond - in Ireland- where they are known for some rather stout beer - I was in a bar and there were Irish younger folks drinking of ALLLL things - Budweizer - yeah - couldn't believe it - it's I guess some kind of import over there - I didn't get it personally and had another Harps.....or was it a "black and tan"....I digress.

But back to cars - you see what's in Sid's garrage now don't you...mmmmm... it's an American car and an NSX. Well how many budwiper cartons were in that Buick trunk when you bought it....????:eek::wink::biggrin:

I should have commented that micro breweries were/are excluded from my comments. Oh, empty budwiper and that sweet $hIt called COORS cans were a plenty in the truck of my Grand National.....along with Crisps under my seat.

I should have commented that micro breweries were/are excluded from my comments. Oh, empty budwiper and that sweet $hIt called COORS cans were a plenty in the truck of my Grand National.....along with Crisps under my seat.

Did I call that or what - missed the crisps under the seat though....lol:biggrin:. Too funny Sid. Good ole Coors....I remember when that first came east of the Mississippi - man we all thought that was great stuff. Then came the foreign beer and the Lowenbrau Octoberfest - when it was the real deal - now that was good beer and everybody went bonkers for Euro beer. Then there was the Mexican invasion - which I personally like - but that's just my own prefference - Lots of good beer choices now. Thank goodness - something for everyone!

Damn - I can't believe you and I didn't get flamed royal....:rolleyes::wink:

Back