Should the belt be changed?

Mine was done, just before I got it at 23k miles. I am NEVER going to change the belt again and drive it at least until it hits 200k miles. I'll let you know what happens in 20 years.:smile:

I had emailed a NSX timing belt question to Pat Goss (of Motorweek) radio show about 10 years ago and here's what he had to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukXi83cAofU

Nice post Vytas. I thought I should embed the video for all to see/hear.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ukXi83cAofU&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ukXi83cAofU&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Sorry to say, I place little weight in Pat's comments. He questioned what are the "elements". If a timing belt was left for 4 years in a California driveway and an identical belt in a climatic controlled wine cooler, I'd say the driveway belt would be crisp and the climate control belt in great shape. Also the replace after 4 years comment goes up against the manufacturers recommended maintenance. I'd side with the manufacturer. Pat sounds like Leon Kaplan the motorman in LA....good advise most of the time but not always. Back to tbromley comments, need the facts man not another undocumented view.

I've been wondering what you look like Pbassjoe.....now i know and it is so nice of you to write Larry in your own words - do you need someone to finish your sentence for you??? We'd all be glad to lend you a hand.

Sounds like you might need a little help; but I know you'd rather carry on by yourself, but thanks for the offer. You can go back to sleep now....:wink::biggrin:
RSNN0414A_227492a.jpg

I think just basically boils down to risk. I could of swore I read something about a few prime members "finally" changing their TB after 18-19 years :eek:

So, still no examle of a broken belt????
McFly???

If there are no examples, no proof then it's possible that it has never happened. No one has a name, vin or photo of a broken belt yet.

That means that the service interval might of been provided just to make dealers money and because the engineers really had no idea or good data and were playing it safe as also suggested. On top of that it has been said that replaced belts have always looked brand new, no visable sign of wear.

You go with that if you like.

Yep, I am one of those guys you read about. Original owner of a 1993 with 15,100 miles and no TB change. Yet. Have appointment with Larry B. this month and I am trailering my car to his shop. Heck, I don't even want to start it to put it in the trailer. I have always attempted to drive the car smoothly, not slowly, but I feel very fortunate that nothing bad has happened so far.
One interesting note that has come up in discussions on this topic is the age of the replacement belt from its 'born on date'. It is conceivable that a replacement belt may have been sitting on a shelf somewhere aging away. I wonder if age of the replacement belt could be determined and if not, what, if any, consideration should one put on this potential question mark.

It is conceivable that a replacement belt may have been sitting on a shelf somewhere aging away. I wonder if age of the replacement belt could be determined and if not, what, if any, consideration should one put on this potential question mark.
There is no way to determine the age of the replacement belt. However, the timing belt is exclusive to the NSX, so unless a dealer is one of the handful of dealers who work on NSXs all the time, they probably don't keep them in stock, and order them only when actually needed for a specific customer. (And if it's a dealer that works on them all the time, they still probably only keep a few in stock, and their inventory turns over quickly.) So you're almost always getting one that was, until very recently, sitting in a temperature- and humidity-controlled Honda warehouse. If you're questioning how long it takes Honda to go through and re-order their warehouse inventory, I don't know, but I would assume they have computer programs that replenish it on a timely basis and don't have a lot of money tied up in parts that sit around for years.

In Japan, the TB service interval is based only on the mileage (every 62,500 miles, 100,000km) and not by the age.

In Japan, the TB service interval is based only on the mileage (every 62,500 miles, 100,000km) and not by the age.

Are you saying that the service manual written in Japanese does not mention a time interval for the NSX timing belt replacement? Would you be so kind as to elaborate. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yep, I am one of those guys you read about. Original owner of a 1993 with 15,100 miles and no TB change. Yet. Have appointment with Larry B. this month and I am trailering my car to his shop. Heck, I don't even want to start it to put it in the trailer. I have always attempted to drive the car smoothly, not slowly, but I feel very fortunate that nothing bad has happened so far.
One interesting note that has come up in discussions on this topic is the age of the replacement belt from its 'born on date'. It is conceivable that a replacement belt may have been sitting on a shelf somewhere aging away. I wonder if age of the replacement belt could be determined and if not, what, if any, consideration should one put on this potential question mark.

It would be interesting to see your belt under close inspection when removed.

Yes, I am also very interested in it external appearance as well, even though the general consensus from what I have been reading here is that appearance is not a valid indicator of condition. I have also wondered about some sort of calibrated destructive test on the old belt to see at what tension it failed. Not that it would have any applicability to actual use in the engine, but its just something that crossed my mind.
I will report back the findings after Larry B performs the required operation on my unmolested original engine. I have read that twisting the belt listening for internal cracking sounds of belts is one indicator of soundness, as well as missing teeth, radial cracks, etc, but we shall see.

So, still no examle of a broken belt????
McFly???

Are you saying that the service manual written in Japanese does not mention a time interval for the NSX timing belt replacement? Would you be so kind as to elaborate. Thanks.

Y'all got Bromley holding his breath. LOL!

A simple search would have yielded this thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66954

By the way, my car is a '91 and had only 45k on it when this happened. I'm the second owner since '94, and I think the car previously sat unused for a couple of years before I took over. Maybe that's why the belt went kablewy prematurely.

Or how about this from Lud in 2003:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=70819&postcount=17

A handful of people say they don't know anyone with a broken belt and people are ready to believe the failure rate is zero? Come on.

I personally know of a few that have broken. So do most mechanics who deal with a lot of NSXs.

Every belt will eventually fail. The manufacturer gives a maintenance interval at which they recommend replacing the belt. Obviously this interval is well before they expect any signifigant number to break under normal use. How much beyond that interval you want to go is up to you; it's your car.

Yes, I am also very interested in it external appearance as well, even though the general consensus from what I have been reading here is that appearance is not a valid indicator of condition. I have also wondered about some sort of calibrated destructive test on the old belt to see at what tension it failed. Not that it would have any applicability to actual use in the engine, but its just something that crossed my mind.
I will report back the findings after Larry B performs the required operation on my unmolested original engine. I have read that twisting the belt listening for internal cracking sounds of belts is one indicator of soundness, as well as missing teeth, radial cracks, etc, but we shall see.

Please post macro picture of the inside and outside of the belt before the twisting and after the twisting. Thanks,

Y'all got Bromley holding his breath. LOL!

A simple search would have yielded this thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66954

Hardly - haven't turned blue yet... - did you bother to read this thread you posted or just the the excerpt you put here? Obviously this guy had his car at a shop that did lousy work! Not that this was the only reason it broke because it was 12 or so years old - but there is some question as to whether the belt was actually replaced. I believe the most interesting part of it was that the shop that had been working on his car may have been the very cause of the belt breaking - could it have been that they installed the new belt improperly??? MMMMMM - we'll probably never know. It is surely obvious they did a lot of things wrong - what else??? Is this the best example you could find of a real incident. Good snooping.

Or how about this from Lud in 2003:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=70819&postcount=17

Here again - great sluething - not much in the way of any example just that it has happened - under more circumstances like this or perhaps worse - maybe the cars were at the track when it happened - I've heard of that!

Point is that it is obviously not a good idea to go beyond the recommended interval - we all get that - I get that too - read my other posts unless you just like poking fun at folks for some "helpful" reason.

The issue is not whether it's a good idea to replace the belt but what maybe some margin of safety - I have read many posts in just my short time here that start out with a question to the group - more research for you- like my car is one year out or right on the cut line of the recommended interval of belt replacement, would it be ok to drive home?(I paraphrase here) Some of the answers are - have it trailered 800 miles to your house - take no chances - etc. I still say that is going overboard a bit. It has to do with actually thinking logically with each example - not all are the same. Case by case is the way I would look at it and that's all I've ever said - again read my posts. Is it good advice to tell anyone it's ok to go beyond manufacturers recommendations - well by how much? That's the qualified kind of answer I think is appropriate. You may not - fine!

For every instance of a belt breaking you find there are at least 10 others where the car has gone way past and nothing has happened. The one instance you find is full of posts about a shop that is obviously full of crooks and ham fists and mechanics that don't know what they're doing. That's not the best example but you do make a good point - "have your car worked on by reputable people". Good advice! I have followed that myself cause I've been around a while.

I will finish by saying - the above is no reason NOT to stick "pretty" close to the manufacturers recommendations - but is there a reason to panic when you've got an '03 with 19k miles on it? I don't think so - but the guy that started this post is going to track his car - good idea to change the belt after he gets it home! I'm all over that - good move. If he wasn't going to track - which was the original premise I started with in my first post and he's got it in Canada - inside a garrage driving it maybe 4 or 5 months a year as a toy - joy riding - well I think he would be safe if he didn't do it this year or maybe even the next! I still say that- it's my opinion and no I don't guarantee my advice - that's why they call it an opinion. There is plenty - the abundance I'd say- of evidence to support my "opinion". You have yours and stick to it, brother, and everyone else has theirs. "You pays your quarter and you take your chances". That's fine - that's all we do here is discuss this stuff - I enjoy it. I don't mean to make fun of anyone's opinion - I may not agree wtih it but everyone is entitled to theirs - just like you are and PB is to his. That ok with you?

Onward,

When a parrot talks it's not a opinion. It doesn't really know what it's saying or "talking" about. The parrot just liked the sound of something it heard and repeats it, over and over and over...:biggrin:

When a parrot talks it's not a opinion. It doesn't really know what it's saying or "talking" about. The parrot just liked the sound of something it heard and repeats it, over and over and over...:biggrin:

And that's exactly what you are doing....you are talking to yourself PB. You offer nothing of intellegence to this discussion as in a logical counterpoint based on any kind of evidence or fact. A critique like this isn't helpful, it's not friendly and it really has no place in this discussion or on Prime in my opinion. Personal attacks are just the lowest form of debate - or don't you know that. Got a point make it and leave the personal junk out of it. It's a discussion - I'm not running for election and I'm entitled to my opinion that's what Prime is about. You choose to twist it, demean it and turn this into a personal attack on me? That is so totally childish. I'm sorry but this is really just not what I believe a discussion forum is about. You don't like my opinion fine - you disagree fine - make a point to the discussion regardless of what you think of me or otherwise save it. No one else is turning this into some kind of personal vendetta but you.

Why instead don't you make an intelligible counter point and leave it at that. I am surely trying to do that in my posts to this thread and that's all I did in my last post here.

When you are finished with your new version of the the timing belt service interval with footnotes for folks with cars that have low mileage, tracked, garage queens, all the spurious contingencies that you deem relevant, make sure you make a WIKI entry so others can benefit from your consensus based conclusions.

lol when I saw the title of this thread and that it had 3 pages I knew there had to be some ot shenanigans......

Bromley, if you're not going to back up your recommendation by paying for the broken belt (and $10k worth of damage should the unthinkable happen), then don't recommend an extension beyond the manufacturer's service interval. Plain and simple.

You called my search, "sleuthing." lol. All I did was one search. You should try it before you type up a bunch of nonsense. That's the first lesson everyone learns here: the car is 20 years old, so if you have a question, search for it because it's likely been answered already.

Last edited:
Bromley, if you're not going to back up your recommendation by paying for the broken belt (and $10k worth of damage should the unthinkable happen), then don't recommend an extension beyond the manufacturer's service interval. Plain and simple.

You called my search, "sleuthing." lol. All I did was one search. You should try it before you type up a bunch of nonsense. That's the first lesson everyone learns here: the car is 20 years old, so if you have a question, search for it because it's likely been answered already.
Pretty sure he is not "recommending" an extension to the manufacturers service interval.
Merely arguing that it may not be strictly neccessary.No one needs to agree but there is no need to flame the guy for expressing an opinion.

Back