Porsche buys a GT-R and takes it to the Ring....

"...Porsche believes Nissan must have cheated to record its 7:29:03 lap time of the famed Nürburgring race circuit. Porsche claims that it had been suspicious of the Nissan's lap times, so it acquired a U.S.-spec GT-R for testing back-to-back with its own 911 Turbo and GT2. The result? The mighty Godzilla was toppled by the Teutonic German duo, with the GT-R posting times a good 25-seconds slower than Nissan's claim.

How can Porsche explain the discrepancy? "This wonder car with 7:29 could not have been a regular series production car. For us, it's not clear how this time is possible. What we can imagine with this Nissan is they used other tires," says August Achleitner, the man in charge of the 911 program. There is footage of the GT-R lapping the 'Ring at high speed, but it's taken from inside the car where the tires cannot be seen.

Considering the fact that Nissan saw fit to issue a press release commemorating the car's fast-lap, we doubt this is something that will be taken lightly. There's a big can 'o worms here, and Porsche's in the corner holding the opener."

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/30/porsche-accuses-nissan-gt-r-of-cheating-the-ring/

What do youguys think?

I don't have a 911or a GT-R and if I did I wouldn't be able to come within 5 minutes of their fastest lap time around the ring (and I have driven the ring) To me, they are both pretty good cars that are out of my skill range. For my opinion on Porsche from your post, they look like whiners instead of winners :)

I don't have a 911or a GT-R and if I did I wouldn't be able to come within 5 minutes of their fastest lap time around the ring (and I have driven the ring) To me, they are both pretty good cars that are out of my skill range. For my opinion on Porsche from your post, they look like whiners instead of winners :)

I would agree if Nissan wasn't selling a lot of their cars off the numbers they posted. I bet Porsche feels some of those sales are being stolen from them from a lie.

I could be wrong.

credibility...

Has The Stig driven a GT-R yet? I'd trust his time over one posted by Nissan or Porsche drivers.
Well said. However, J' Clarkson did drive it (twice) & each time the experience were polar opposites of each other (rural Japanese highways vs. high-speed track). I recall him sayin' right before his neck/back injury induced by the accel'/G's of the GT-R @ the track that this was one of the most violently accelerating, ridiculously fast, and understatedly powerful vehicles he's ever driven; and yes, he was being serious & stating it w/ a straight-face.

I mean, there are only so-many 'ringers running loco boost & 'cut tread tires (ala' semi racing-slicks) that Nissan could've provided.

With only a handful of deliveries (in car' speak that-is, actually a few hundred USDM deliveries) already made & an anticipated goal of ~1,500+ annual U.S. sales for years to come, it's very doubtful a manufacturer would advertise a rocket (Nissan's 'ring claims), and then deliver a dud (Porsche's 'ring claims). At least, IMHO. . .

In an analogy... the Porsche 'ring times (recent) for the GT-R compared to Nissan's actual 'ring times (months ago) seem like the few magazines/sources who quote the NA1 5spd' NSX @ 0-60 in ~6.7s over the years even when the manufacturer & other credible magazines/sources stated a time of ~5.1s. In both examples, there are massive discrepancies that make you scratch your head and think, WTH?!? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well i can't comment on the ring times but the cars computer tracks 0-60 and from what i've heard the car CAn do the numbers so it must just be a question of the driver then and i doubt Porsche had their best taking the laps in the GT-R.:rolleyes:

What did you expect Porsche to say? Yes the GT-R is much faster and cheaper but please still come in and buy a Porsche from us? Just the fact that they would buy one and test it says allot to me about how they feel about their own cars when they don't believe those times were possible.:confused:

With the GT-R's numbers in a LARGE number of tests by different sources - Car and Driver, Road and Track, Top Gear, 5th Gear, and many others - it is clear to me that the GT-R is just plain faster on the track than a 911 Turbo. In fact IIRC, in this month's R&T a stock GT-R was faster than a TechArt GT Street 911, which has over 600hp and was faster than the stock version of the same car. In another test they just did, the GT-R kept pace with the 911 GT2. It seems like Porsche is just whining. Suck it up and play ball.

Back