The GTR is'nt that quick what Nissan claims

How often are you supposed to replace the trans fluid? Like every 30K miles? LOL, $100 per quart? Sounds like an april fools joke to me. Considering the $2009 total. LMAO

It appears they had the service done at just under 19K miles and it obviously hadn't reached the time limit yet.

I know those trannys are having issues, especially the ones still using launch control. $100/quart is literally more than Dom Perignon. I really don't know what could be in it that costs that much but that sounds more like the price that Formula 1 tranny fluid would cost.

I don't know what's going on but ~$1,100 in parts for a scheduled maintenance is outrageous. I'm glad someone brought this to everyone's attention. Service at that price would really make me rethink buying that car if I had wanted to.

How often are you supposed to replace the trans fluid? Like every 30K miles? LOL, $100 per quart? Sounds like an april fools joke to me. Considering the $2009 total. LMAO

Well N Spec no and no:biggrin:

Now that we've all had a good laugh (or cry), here's the breakdown.

Transmission & Diff fluid change:

8 Quarts (Our car took just under 8. They quote 10 quarts, but the ammount used is rarely, if ever, that high. Honest dealers will tell you what your car took. Dishonest ones can easily charge you for the full 10.) of GT-R Automatic Transmission Fluid @ $86.24/ea: $689.92

3 Quarts of GT-R specific differential oil @ $62.02/ea: $186.06

Labor: $500

Oil Change:

1 Oil Filter: $6.95 (finally, something normal)

6-quarts Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W40 @ 9.38/ea: $56.28

Labor: $150

New Engine Air Filters and in Cabin Microfilter: (We could have saved a few bucks and done this one ourselves, but the car was already in the shop.)

2 engine air filters @ $52.86/ea: $105.72

1 Micro Air filter: $53.38

Labor: $115.00

The remote entry was repaired at no cost.

Our service advisor also noted that our right-rear tire had lost a strip of rubber on the inner edge, metal was showing. We have a set of tires already orderd from Stokes Tire Pros in Santa Monica.

TOTALS

Labor: $817.50

Parts: 1,101.31

Tax: 90.86

Total charge: $2009.67

Days out of service (including estimates for the repair): 4

As easy and fun as this is going to be to skewer in the comments, here's a side challenge (which we've also got posted on a white board in our office): What could possibly be in the GT-R specific oil to make it cost $114 per quart?

Mike Magrath, Vehicle Testing Assistant @ 18,916 miles

It appears they had the service done at just under 19K miles and it obviously hadn't reached the time limit yet.

I know those trannys are having issues, especially the ones still using launch control. $100/quart is literally more than Dom Perignon. I really don't know what could be in it that costs that much but that sounds more like the price that Formula 1 tranny fluid would cost.

I don't know what's going on but ~$1,100 in parts for a scheduled maintenance is outrageous. I'm glad someone brought this to everyone's attention. Service at that price would really make me rethink buying that car if I had wanted to.

Well but if you're dropping $80k+ on a car I guess that not too bad. Or if you consider the $160k+ on the V Spec ( which really seems to be a waist as it seems to just match the ZR-1 ,but cost $50k more ).

To me it seems like brand positioning and the Germans have been doing it for years. I don't know how much the 911 TT costs for maintenance but it still costs more than the GT-R while not delivering the same performance. Nissan is making jumps to get their car to 911 TT price so maintenance will be according.

Well N Spec no and no:biggrin:

Well, perhaps I stand corrected. The labor sounds outrageous for the oil change, but I guess this is a really specific car. Nissans have always been hard to work on...

Well I had personal experience with the 300ZXTT anyways. They like to push complexity and elaboration, so there is a lot of room or more parts for failure in the future. While I will not say the VG30DETT is unreliable, the electronics/wiring is so complicated, that it causes a lot of issues that could dwindle such a remarkable engine with age. Then lets not talk about the 4WS for the 300ZX. I will note that the 300ZX was quite affordable and so the average joe owners probably abused it or neglected it a lot. I'm not saying Nissan fails at engineering or reliability, but I hope they took a lesson from the 300ZX's complications over the years. I guess that's why they chose the 350z to be simple NA, so that there seller would be less complicated to work on.

Either way, the 18K tuneup is a bit pricey, but it should be expected for a car with this kind of clout. Makes you wonder how much cheaper or simplier things would be if the GTR offered a 6MT option. Thankfully the NSX is a bit easier on the pockets for routine maintainence and it's a bit easier for the DIYers.

Last edited:
At least the oil filter is cheaper than my Lamborghini....everything else is more expensive, and that includes my front and rear diff's and xmission....and mine is DIY, not that complicated.

Well but if you're dropping $80k+ on a car I guess that not too bad. Or if you consider the $160k+ on the V Spec ( which really seems to be a waist as it seems to just match the ZR-1 ,but cost $50k more ).

To me it seems like brand positioning and the Germans have been doing it for years. I don't know how much the 911 TT costs for maintenance but it still costs more than the GT-R while not delivering the same performance. Nissan is making jumps to get their car to 911 TT price so maintenance will be according.

I happen to think $160K for the Spec V is utterly outrageous. There are lots of cars I would buy instead of the Spec V when you start talking that kind of money. The ZR-1 for 40% less is obvious but how about a used 997 GT2 for only a few bucks more? Or a used Gallardo Superleggera or LP560? All of those are as fast or faster than the Spec V.

Brand positioning with high price and expensive service is not a smart idea for Nissan. It's ostensibly going to hurt resale and before long people will realize it's still just a Datsun. Porsche OTOH has spent 50 years establishing a brand and has the ability to pull shenanigans like that. Porsche is still a bargain for the combination of the brand, performance and tolerable reliability they offer.

I happen to think $160K for the Spec V is utterly outrageous. There are lots of cars I would buy instead of the Spec V when you start talking that kind of money. The ZR-1 for 40% less is obvious but how about a used 997 GT2 for only a few bucks more? Or a used Gallardo Superleggera or LP560? All of those are as fast or faster than the Spec V.

Brand positioning with high price and expensive service is not a smart idea for Nissan. It's ostensibly going to hurt resale and before long people will realize it's still just a Datsun. Porsche OTOH has spent 50 years establishing a brand and has the ability to pull shenanigans like that. Porsche is still a bargain for the combination of the brand, performance and tolerable reliability they offer.

Yup I agree with you completely. Double the price for no rear seats and barely any weight savings? Not even on the level of NSX-R type of weight drop. Guess that's why its only for sale in Japan.

I read they are also coming up with another variant that will be even more money! Major weight reduction.

The maintenance cost on that GTR are stupid. My C6 has needed two oil changes in 16,000 miles. Nothing else. Total, $160. My guess is the Z06 and ZR1 are not much different.

Net Viper Im with you..I have never been impressed with the real world numbers...116-120 mph trapps is what I read everywhere as well...

My 6 year old 2003 viper trapps 118-122 mph everywhere you read...A C6Z06 trapps 122-126 mph very where you read...The 08 Vipers trap 125-129 mph every where you read..

Im just not seeing whats so impressive about 116-120 mph?????

As far as the handling goes..I beleave the car can actually muster a 7.50 lap with great driving in good condiions...For it's weight that is incredible..But a 7.50 is far from record breaking these days...A ZR1 or 2008 Viper will leave it in the dust...

Then lets talk about looks. The viper/z06..ect all look much nicer...Even my 1991 nsx looks much more exotic...

To me the GTR is a fancy EVO...Nonthing more

Apparently, according to Jalopnik, driving your GTR on any kind of race track now voids the warranty, as does putting it on a dyno. I am personally quite put-off by Nissan's handling of the GTR. I'm convinced that the pre-production vehicles used to set all of these amazing performance numbers were running higher-boost. They launch the car with a list price of $69,xxx and within 12 months, raise the price to $87,xxx. They promote its 1/4-mile and 0-100 times, all obtained using launch control but then don't allow the owners to do likewise. Now, if you cannot take the car to your local track day for hot laps without voiding your warranty, WTF is this car good for?

Nissan's comparison to the 911 is bunk - Porsche wants you to take your 911 to the track and enjoy it for what it was made to do - high performance driving. Porsche is the real thing when it comes to high performance cars and driving, Nissan is a poser.

Apparently, according to Jalopnik, driving your GTR on any kind of race track now voids the warranty, as does putting it on a dyno. I am personally quite put-off by Nissan's handling of the GTR. I'm convinced that the pre-production vehicles used to set all of these amazing performance numbers were running higher-boost. They launch the car with a list price of $69,xxx and within 12 months, raise the price to $87,xxx. They promote its 1/4-mile and 0-100 times, all obtained using launch control but then don't allow the owners to do likewise. Now, if you cannot take the car to your local track day for hot laps without voiding your warranty, WTF is this car good for?

Nissan's comparison to the 911 is bunk - Porsche wants you to take your 911 to the track and enjoy it for what it was made to do - high performance driving. Porsche is the real thing when it comes to high performance cars and driving, Nissan is a poser.

Dang! To be fair though Porsche will also void the warranty for tracking the car. Every manufacturer does.

Dang! To be fair though Porsche will also void the warranty for tracking the car. Every manufacturer does.

I thought that Porsche and others (including Chevy with the Vette and Cobalt SS) won't cover failures that occur while using the car at the track, which is different than voiding the warranty. For example, if I burn up my ZR1 carbon-ceramic rotors at the track (several thousand for a new set) that would not be covered, however, my warranty would still be in force, say when the A/C compressor clutch fails during normal road use.

As I reread the GT-R warranty, there are two sections; exclusions and voiding. Taking the GT-R won't void the warranty, rather it excludes damage that occurs while at the track. The only thing that voids the warranty all together is unhooking, reprogramming or tampering with the black box data recorder.

So I guess the GT-R warranty WRT track use is on par with other manufacturers.

I thought that Porsche and others (including Chevy with the Vette and Cobalt SS) won't cover failures that occur while using the car at the track, which is different than voiding the warranty. For example, if I burn up my ZR1 carbon-ceramic rotors at the track (several thousand for a new set) that would not be covered, however, my warranty would still be in force, say when the A/C compressor clutch fails during normal road use.

As I reread the GT-R warranty, there are two sections; exclusions and voiding. Taking the GT-R won't void the warranty, rather it excludes damage that occurs while at the track. The only thing that voids the warranty all together is unhooking, reprogramming or tampering with the black box data recorder.

So I guess the GT-R warranty WRT track use is on par with other manufacturers.

You have a ZR1:biggrin:

My biggest problem with this entire discussion is that no one has mentioned or concluded to the fact that Nissan released these performance times knowing all to well that to achieve such #s that you would likely suffer tranny failure as they must have in testing the prototypes. Otherwise it would be a suprise to all including Nissan when the trannys started failing. But they thought enough about it to make sure the disclaimer was signed off on by every new owner. I think they just needed to get the car released after all their hype and they figured on dealing with the issue later on. Shame on them.

Holy crap this thread is still alive?
Porsche got particularly upset that the Nissan claimed a faster 'ring time for the GTR than they did for their 997GT2 and then cryed foul.

A UK online magazine investigated using an experienced but not expert Nurburgring driver. The story and comparison video with commentry are here...

http://magazines.drivers-republic.com/driversrepublic/thetruth030/?fm=2

http://www.drivers-republic.co.uk/d...=61a64bd813c44161b345e9f706147ad9&area=videos

Cheers

Mark
I like the narrator/driver, he did an awesome thing making that video but it also needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm suprised how so many people can watch that video but not catch on some important pieces of information. The narrator admitted he was 10-15seconds slower than 'really good drivers' around the ring. On top of that, the track conditions weren't ideal, damp, and wet in many areas. Add that on top of his 10-15 second handicap and you can easily see a ~20+ second discrepancy.
Oh come on. First the GTR did it in 7:29. Second, I am getting a little irked by people who feed on demeaning the GTR, mostly without having driven, let alone tracked one. I own a GTR and I own a CT NSX. I've owned NSX's since 1994, there is really no comparison with steet legal versions. You're local to socal so you probably know Willow Springs; well I would venture to say the GTR would be a good 5 seconds faster than a CT NSX on that track. I've driven the Ring since 1983 (FIA license) I woud say I can finish a lap at the Ring in the GTR, park it, get out of the car and only then see the CTNSX (driven by a peer) come out of the last turn. A good 25-30 seconds difference. The cars are simply not in the same league.

A side note: I've spent the last 15 years telling my F and P friends not to dismiss the NSX but to try and live with one a couple of days before passing judgement. My advice to you and to GTR haters is to do the same. take just two laps in a GTR and find our why this car is like no other.
bboxer - who are you if I might ask? I'm also in SoCal, i'm sure we ran into each other once or twice.

Billy

FWIW:

Buttonwillow 13B Clockwise:

1:55.0 - Factor-X FX500 NSX (235/275 Toyo RA1) Turbo NSX, full interior, sound system, no front camber (~2 second handicap).

1:56.9 - Fastest 'official' R35 time ever claimed for a "Stock" GTR - Road & Track test with Steve Millen (possible conflict of interest/skewed results, IMO -skeptical).

1:58.4 - Fastest time attack R35 in the modified class by Switchcars.com/Synapse (Doug T. driving). Not sure what tires

Last edited:
My biggest problem with this entire discussion is that no one has mentioned or concluded to the fact that Nissan released these performance times knowing all to well that to achieve such #s that you would likely suffer tranny failure as they must have in testing the prototypes. Otherwise it would be a suprise to all including Nissan when the trannys started failing. But they thought enough about it to make sure the disclaimer was signed off on by every new owner. I think they just needed to get the car released after all their hype and they figured on dealing with the issue later on. Shame on them.

It has been discussed and it appears pretty foul. Either way the tranny and numbers have been addressed if you have read the last few pages.

Back