• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Out with the old, in with the new...

TurboLexus said:
Very nice S2K Ryan, can't tell what brakes those are?

- Jon

Was BrakeZone (Wilwood) kit - forget the size, it was a prototype kit for the car. I'm debating on doing a BBK on the NSX; it depends on what'll work with the stock NSX-R wheels.

Ryan

New pics - about ready to paint the roof. Black mirrors installed; NSX-R side markers are done... taillamps and headlamps are out at clearcorners.com getting done.

rfp1.jpg

rfp2.jpg

rfp3.jpg

Also, posting this closeup of the 2-piece windshield moulding at Joe's request - proof the windshield doesn't actually need to be removed to refinish the roof:

rfp4.jpg

More to come as I get them!

Ryan

Are those white seats or is that the color of the plastic covering them?

They're black (till the new seats arrive) - the plastic covers are white.

Ryan

Ryan,

The car is looking good, I cannot wait to see the finished product ! What is up with the filler on the hood ? Are they blocking it ?

brandonson said:
Ryan,

The car is looking good, I cannot wait to see the finished product ! What is up with the filler on the hood ? Are they blocking it ?

Yup - found a low spot that they're taking care of.

Ryan

it is killing me to see the car like this :eek: I am positive the car will look amazing when you are done, but did you consider buying fenders, quarter panels, and the roof peices for the purpose of bondo/painting in order to keep the OEM ones "original" and stored somewhere?

don't get me wrong, your progress looks great.

Holy Moses....

I can't wait to see this thing when it's done. I recall your post about the unfortunate incident with your LBBP car and knew you intended to get another car but this is the first time I've seen this thread and all I can say is WOW.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Well, the cool thing is that aside from the JDM sidemarkers, no metal was actually cut in the process. The patch pieces were made from a scrap NSX quarter panel then bonded (read: no welding) in much like the inner fender reinforcement is. Remove the filler, prime the area then spot it in, and it's close to OEM again. There'll be no issues with corrosion or anything as none of the inside was touched and the outside (obviously) is painted.

Regarding the roof - the berlina can always be refinished. I've got the OEM mirrors, the OEM interior pieces, the OEM wheels/hood/wing/carpet/etc - any part I need to revert it "closer" to stock if desired.

Truth be told, I don't plan on getting rid of the car anytime soon. The only reason I even got this was because my old one was wrecked. If and when it is sold, there's a good chance it'll get sold as it sits, with the OEM pieces separate, to someone looking for something like this. It's killing you to see it like this, but it's exciting to me - it's exactly what I've wanted to do since I first started seriously looking at getting an NSX 3.5 years ago! :D

Ryan

RyanITV said:
Well, the cool thing is that aside from the JDM sidemarkers, no metal was actually cut in the process. The patch pieces were made from a scrap NSX quarter panel then bonded (read: no welding) in much like the inner fender reinforcement is. Remove the filler, prime the area then spot it in, and it's close to OEM again. There'll be no issues with corrosion or anything as none of the inside was touched and the outside (obviously) is painted.

Regarding the roof - the berlina can always be refinished. I've got the OEM mirrors, the OEM interior pieces, the OEM wheels/hood/wing/carpet/etc - any part I need to revert it "closer" to stock if desired.

Truth be told, I don't plan on getting rid of the car anytime soon. The only reason I even got this was because my old one was wrecked. If and when it is sold, there's a good chance it'll get sold as it sits, with the OEM pieces separate, to someone looking for something like this. It's killing you to see it like this, but it's exciting to me - it's exactly what I've wanted to do since I first started seriously looking at getting an NSX 3.5 years ago! :D

Ryan

I could tell you always wanted to do this. when you first got your blue NSX you had this thread on making the top black...you are a NSX-R freak! I love it! this thing WILL be awesome...not trying to "diss" you in any way.

supra2nv said:
I could tell you always wanted to do this. when you first got your blue NSX you had this thread on making the top black...you are a NSX-R freak! I love it! this thing WILL be awesome...not trying to "diss" you in any way.

Hahaha - you know, I never did finish cleaning the goo left behind by the vinyl from that experiment. Just never felt like detailing or working on the car after it was wrecked.

Ryan

RyanITV said:
Next stage of the project - OS Giken 4.44 LSD and RPS clutch...

Well I am glad to hear they are blocking it...most body shops do not do that and you wind up with a wavy look. That tells me this body shop does good work and that they are thorough.

You will love the RPS clutch but the pedal is heavy. If you had the ACT / Comptech combo in your S2K the RPS feels comparable. It's not too bad but the most important part of the RPS is that it doesn't chatter. Let me know when you install the OS Giken. I am on the fence with installing the OS LSD right now.

L8R,
Brandon

The chatter may not be the clutch but the install ie., initialization. Mark &Larry B may have something to say about that. Pm one.

It's been about a week. Anything new to report?

Sorry - was unable to verify my account after trying to change the email address!

I think the paintwork is done; they're buffing and doing reassembly now and will delve into the suspension and some other misc upgrades shortly. Seats should be here within the next couple of weeks (just in time for the car) and it's heading immediately to my friend's car audio shop for an Eclipse AVN5435 upgrade.

Ryan

Welcome back! Post some pics of the paint when you get a chance. When is the supercharger being put on? Is all of that last on the list?

Glad to finally be back! I may have some new pics today, but here's last week as they were prepping to do the white:

noholes.jpg

Saturday after painting the white:

hood.jpg

Looks sooooo much cleaner without the US sidemarkers.

Supercharger, exhaust, headers, intake are already installed. It's heading to LarryB sometime next month for the NSX-R 4.23s and a clutch upgrade.

Ryan

Nice! Looks like it's coming along rather sweetly and quickly. Most people would take many years to put something like this together. Is the roof done yet?

The roof is done now; they're doing reassembly, so hopefully Joe will have some pictures for me in the next day or so.

Ryan

Looking at the headlights it looks like there is no "bubble," fish eye, or whatever you call it...is that right or is it just the pic?

splitz said:
Looking at the headlights it looks like there is no "bubble," fish eye, or whatever you call it...is that right or is it just the pic?

There's no headlights in right now :)

Ryan

Looking good! How much longer do you think? What else is left besides putting it back together?

Back