NSX vs. s2000

Here in Europe, the S2000 has a big community who appreciates the 9000 rpm and the roadster feeling for a reasonable price. Prices here for used S2000 are variing between $19k (private seller) and $29k for 00-03 in good condition.
Also we only had a few Integras here too and their prices for unmodified cars kept stable at $14-16k for good ones. The unmodified become much less as most of the people tune them in excess. :(
That why I think that the value of a S2000 won't drop below $15-18k.
That's why I think that the depretiation of both cars is about the same as long as you don't buy a new one. :)
But I was really surprised by the low prices for S2000 parts and the bigger choice of wheels and so on as compared to the NSX. Remember that the S2000 doesn't have a timing belt, the clutch must be cheaper too and fuel comsumption is better than with the NSX, not to forget the cheaper insurance.
And if you have a small front-crash with the S2000 is much more cheaper.
IMO the NSX is a real luxory car as ownership costs let you know what you are paying for. :D

I too have both vehicles. I enjoy both very much. I'll drive one and miss the other. It's a fricken disease!

Based on where you're at with age and income, I'd go with the s2k for all the reasons mentioned by everyone else. Drive it hard, drive it fast, drive it responsibly. You'll love the oversteer on the s2k. Be careful though. It can catch you by surprise if you're not.

Good luck

Simon

I would recommend purchasing a NA1 S2000.

I own '01 S2000 (5yrs) & 91 NSX (6 months) and I feel the S2000 is a better daily vehicle. However, if you live in an area that has 4 seasons, the NSX would be the better vehicle. Yes, you can purchase snow tires for the S2000 but you don't have the engine weight over the rear wheels for traction like the NSX.

If you are looking to be noticed, the NSX is the vehicle:cool:

Which car do I want? the Nsx. i <3 mid engine rear wheel drive and i <3 pop-up lights and i <3 the interior. But I am not hard headed enough to jump into it given the responses ive seen so far. HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, if i found a 91-93 out of snap ring range, new water pump and timing belt etc all records. for about 25k, id have a HARD time turning it down. aww this is such a hard decision. but it really all boils down to the budget, if my budget gets stressed at all, its no fun owning a sports car. Maybe i should give up my dream of the nsx. :-( its hard to watch kids around here (no, really, kids like 17-18) runnin around in the evoVIII or STI mommy and daddy bought them. Ive busted my ass to land a good paying job with full benefits and I would really like to treat myself. and yeah, i live in an area with four VERY definitive seasons. oy vey.

Maybe i should give up my dream of the nsx. :-( its hard to watch kids around here (no, really, kids like 17-18) runnin around in the evoVIII or STI mommy and daddy bought them.

That is sooooo scary! Those cars are way too powerful for kids that young. Hopefully their parents get them into driving school after two or three crashes. Wow kids getting $30k plus cars still in high school. Hey any of those parents looking to adopt? I'm neat well spoken , promise to clean my room and not talk back:biggrin:

I think your being very wise and their will always be NSX's out there for purchase.

I drive both too. Almost everything is said about the differences between th S2000 and the NSX. If it comes to handling I think the S2000 can be tricky. It is a wonderfull go kart and with a experienced track driver it can be driven almost as fast (or sometimes faster) around the track as a NSX.
You can drive a NSX fast under almost every possible condition. On track, on the street, in the rain etc...., it is a very forgiving supercar. A moderate driver can never beat a NSX with a S2000. But if you know how to handle the S2000, it is a blast and can beat a NSX. And this my point. Combine the sometimes tricky and unforgiving handling of the S2000 with a young person with less driving experience you can get a combination that can be..........!!!
Last year my 20 year old son crashed the S on a public road just by oversteering the car with a little bit to much throttle in a right turn.
The S2000 is like the Honda 900 Fireblade. When this motorbike came to the Netherlands, it came with a special driving course to improve the driving skills of the new owner. The Fireblade was also a less forgiving bike compared to other superbikes at that moment.

Gerard van Santen said:
I drive both too. Almost everything is said about the differences between th S2000 and the NSX. If it comes to handling I think the S2000 can be tricky. It is a wonderfull go kart and with a experienced track driver it can be driven almost as fast (or sometimes faster) around the track as a NSX.
You can drive a NSX fast under almost every possible condition. On track, on the street, in the rain etc...., it is a very forgiving supercar. A moderate driver can never beat a NSX with a S2000. But if you know how to handle the S2000, it is a blast and can beat a NSX. And this my point. Combine the sometimes tricky and unforgiving handling of the S2000 with a young person with less driving experience you can get a combination that can be..........!!!
Last year my 20 year old son crashed the S on a public road just by oversteering the car with a little bit to much throttle in a right turn.
The S2000 is like the Honda 900 Fireblade. When this motorbike came to the Netherlands, it came with a special driving course to improve the driving skills of the new owner. The Fireblade was also a less forgiving bike compared to other superbikes at that moment.

The 04 and up American S2000's have had suspension changes and are much easier for the novice to drive while still allowing people to track the car and exploit it's full handling dynamic's.

Oh and I think you're about to get flamed for saying the S2000 could beat an NSX around the track :biggrin:

Add to the previous poster: the '06 S2000 now comes standard with VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) to keep the novice drivers from getting into trouble.

WingZ said:
Those cars [evoVIII, STI, etc] are way too powerful for kids that young.
My first car had 98 horsepower (1987 Accord LX) and THAT was too powerful IMO, for somone my age (and most people considered me mature for my age :eek: ). 98hp didn't keep me from being stupid and making mistakes...though I suppose it kept the outcomes from being exponentially worse. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had something with guts or something "cool."

(By contrast, SCd NSX is 4x the horsepower and only 500 more lbs.)

latzke said:
My first car had 98 horsepower (1987 Accord LX) and THAT was too powerful IMO, for somone my age (and most people considered me mature for my age :eek: ). 98hp didn't keep me from being stupid and making mistakes...though I suppose it kept the outcomes from being exponentially worse. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had something with guts or something "cool."

(By contrast, SCd NSX is 4x the horsepower and only 500 more lbs.)

I agree 300+ is too much horsepower for any highschool kid, well let me say most, at least the STI and EVO's are all wheel drive which may keep them out of a lot of trouble when compared to a mustang which has a tendancy to break its rear end loose if you sneeze wrong. I still enjoyed driving my integra thorugh last year and that thing only had a 140 hp, hell my motorcycle had a 100 or so just a different feeling.

Nimbus said:
Add to the previous poster: the '06 S2000 now comes standard with VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) to keep the novice drivers from getting into trouble.

Sounds like another "Fun Stopper" fuse that needs to be pulled... :biggrin:

Guys, out here in the bay area (norcal) it's not uncommon to have teens (18-25) year olds driving 100k+ cars.

Heck when I was a h.s. teen in the Chicago burbs, I was happy with my Eclipse turbo :)

But out here many of friends drive E46 m3's as their first car out of h.s. and one dude just got a brand new GT3 P-car at 20 years old! Seriously lucky guys....

Back to your topic, I'm on my 2nd s2000 and also have a E46 m3 though I have yet to own an NSX. I have driven a few back to back and love the NSX for it's pure driving experience but what gets me is the totally dated interior. Somehow staring at a 1991 Honda Accord Dash just doesn't do it for me no matter how nice the car performs.

Was shopping for the NSX and have decided to hold off for now to wait on the new NSX so bought my 2nd 05 S2000.

Looking at your criteria and income level, I would so 100% to buy the s2000. It's 99% as fun as the NSX, a lot cheaper to mod and you can drive it anywhere and worry less about it. I think one of the other guys said it best....

If you have to worry where to park a car then that takes a lot of fun out of the ownership. For example I drive my m3 only on nice sunny days when I can park it in safe places. That means many times I have to pass on a spontaneous movie urge since I won't want to park my m3 at a theater parking lot.

The NSX I would feel the same way about leaving it in a parking lot where parking carts or vandals can get to it.

Hope this helps,
rick

I owned a '00 S2000 for 4.5 years and just got an '03 NSX. I can say that I was in a situation much like yours when I bought the S. I say buy the S and save for the NSX. The S holds its value incredibly well and is a good trainer car for the NSX. If you like the S2k then you will love the NSX. I just think at your age and income level; the S2k is a better fit. :D

I have an 01 S2000 (actually just sold it) and I pick up my NSX next week.

Some of you guys think modding an S2000 is cheap, not correct by anymeans. Infact some aftermarket parts for the S2000 are more expensive than the NSX parts.
With all my modded parts for my S2000 I could have bought my NSX cash.:wink:
I dont think I have seen any widebody kit for the NSX over $45,000 dollars. There is one for the S2000. Even the BBKs for the S2000 are more expensive than the ones for the NSX. So get your info correct.:biggrin: It also helps to have sponorships that carry over. My S2000 sponsorship on high JDM dollar item parts moved over to my NSX. Got to love that. Half off for a lot of parts.

Anyway if it were me I would get the S2000 and drive that for awhile. You have the warranty and your learning how to drive a RWD car. Then in a couple years jump. Thats what I did, now I have more money and make more money to fix anything that comes up with my mid 90s NSX..

EndlessNSX said:
I have an 01 S2000 (actually just sold it) and I pick up my NSX next week.

Some of you guys think modding an S2000 is cheap, not correct by anymeans. Infact some aftermarket parts for the S2000 are more expensive than the NSX parts.
With all my modded parts for my S2000 I could have bought my NSX cash.:wink:
I dont think I have seen any widebody kit for the NSX over $45,000 dollars. There is one for the S2000. Even the BBKs for the S2000 are more expensive than the ones for the NSX. So get your info correct.:biggrin: It also helps to have sponorships that carry over. My S2000 sponsorship on high JDM dollar item parts moved over to my NSX. Got to love that. Half off for a lot of parts.

Anyway if it were me I would get the S2000 and drive that for awhile. You have the warranty and your learning how to drive a RWD car. Then in a couple years jump. Thats what I did, now I have more money and make more money to fix anything that comes up with my mid 90s NSX..

That is why people don't spend 45 grand just on widebody kit, because they are stupid.

This is what I have:
Used Type R seats: $8000
CTSC: $9300 installed (Promotional price)
Type R CF spoiler replica, CF RWG, Type CF Diffuser: $4000
All the Type R and Honda "H" Badges: $1200 (Including air bag)
Fujitsubo header: $3000
Taitec Par Exhaust: $1500
Mugen Air Intake: $1800

Planning:
Type R Suspension: $3000
Type Brake System: $3500
Type R Hood Replica: $3500

I don't think S2k will come close... well, other than that wide body kit. You have to compare them item by item. I know a Mugen CF Wide body kit for the NSX that goes for at least $60 grand!!!

I can give you a partial list of my S2k parts that would exceed the price of all your parts together but I am not here to debate that.:wink: But just for shits and giggles..since you brought it up.

:wink:
My two Endless BBK $8000
My two Spoon BBK $4000
Project Mu SCR Pro 2 piece rotors $685
Mugen Hardtop $3000
OEM hardtop $2700
Aragosta Suspension Tuned by TS $4000
Zeal Suspension $2200
Comptech suspension $1200
Mugen CF Front $2200
Cwest CF sides $1000 another $1200 to paint DC
Mugen seats $2800
Cwest Bodykit in 2001 $1900
20+ sets of wheels/tires over 5 years. Almost 15 of them were bought new $10,000+
Spoon CK seats $3000+
Takata harness $800
My 2 Js intakes $2000+
ASM spec Prodrives $3000 with tires

I am not even going to add my header, exhausts, rollcage, electronics, vented JDM CF hoods, GPS/Navi, etc..
I bought every part new or near new..I traded about 5 sets of wheels over the years but most were bought new from vendors.:smile:

This is 1/2 of the mods I had on my car. I am not here to say who has more money in their car because I am not about that but I am here to educate some of you NSX members about the S2000. Its not cheap either as you can see.
Now OEM equipment is a different story and the NSX is far more expensive.:smile:

I am one of the moderately modified S2ks. My buddy with the Amuse WB kit has spent close to $15000 with just the kit and paint. Not to mention his ITB setup and everything I have...I am not going to go back and forth to debate this because I really dont care. I have both cars for another week then the S2000 with all the mods is going to a new owner.. The NSX is staying with me..The NSX has always been one of my favorite all time cars and I came to my senses and bought one..
Your car seems nicely modded.. Any pics? Pics please... Thanks...

Time to go play some Madden 06...

Vancehu said:
That is why people don't spend 45 grand just on widebody kit, because they are stupid.

This is what I have:
Used Type R seats: $8000
CTSC: $9300 installed (Promotional price)
Type R CF spoiler replica, CF RWG, Type CF Diffuser: $4000
All the Type R and Honda "H" Badges: $1200 (Including air bag)
Fujitsubo header: $3000
Taitec Par Exhaust: $1500
Mugen Air Intake: $1800

Planning:
Type R Suspension: $3000
Type Brake System: $3500
Type R Hood Replica: $3500

I don't think S2k will come close... well, other than that wide body kit. You have to compare them item by item. I know a Mugen CF Wide body kit for the NSX that goes for at least $60 grand!!!

Last edited:
EndlessNSX said:
I can give you a partial list of my S2k parts that would exceed the price of all your parts together but I am not here to debate that.:wink: But just for shits and giggles..since you brought it up.

Hey Chris good to see you defected over from the S2k.

If your S was any indication here are some things for your NSX shopping list. :wink:
Comptech Powertec brakes. $9900 Oh wait I take that back you would have to stick with Endless :biggrin:
http://www.comptechusa.com/store/420110.html
Fujitsubo Inconel Alloy SuperEX Header System $14669
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/Fujitsubo/headers/
ARC exhaust $3868
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/ARC/exhausts/
and of course anything that Procar makes.

As with anything, the prices are whatever the market will bare.

Otto

I am still over there too. I have helped 100s of member with BBK issues and lower offset wheels with OEM and aftermarket fenders. Seems to be the new trend now..:smile: I get PMs daily on a lot of things. Even with my 10,000 message limit I just exceeded it again and had to delete 5000 pms... :)

Yeah I got the hook up with Endless so I would stick with those.

Right now I have the following..

Tein RS
02+ Front/Rear upgrade from SOS
DVD/Navi
Found a set of 02 NSX R OEM wheels but they dont clear the Endless BBK.:mad:
I am going to drive this car stock for awhile as IMO this car needs nothing in reality at all. Its a supercar, ie you need nothing..

Whats new with you? Last time I saw you was in your silver s2k over in Fremont. Did you sell your S2k?

otto_joe said:
Hey Chris good to see you defected over from the S2k.

If your S was any indication here are some things for your NSX shopping list. :wink:
Comptech Powertec brakes. $9900 Oh wait I take that back you would have to stick with Endless :biggrin:
http://www.comptechusa.com/store/420110.html
Fujitsubo Inconel Alloy SuperEX Header System $14669
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/Fujitsubo/headers/
ARC exhaust $3868
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/ARC/exhausts/
and of course anything that Procar makes.

As with anything, the prices are whatever the market will bare.

Otto

EndlessNSX said:
Whats new with you? Last time I saw you was in your silver s2k over in Fremont. Did you sell your S2k?

I sold the S2k in November and best of all the new owner wanted the extras like the supercharger and Mugen exhaust so it was quick and easy. I hate parting things out.

I picked up my black/black 94 in December and haven't looked back since. The S2k is an awesome car, but there's just something magical between the NSX and I. The CTSCer and headers for my NSX are still sitting in my garage since January waiting to be installed, but the NSX is just soooo sweeet as is I haven't been in a rush to do it.

Otto

Bumping this again. Well I have slowly started adding a few things here and there to my NSX.

From a month of ownership and 5 years of ownership with the S2000 I can say that the NA1 in stock fashion was/is faster than my S2000 with I/H/E. Not a lot faster but faster.

I was talking with my wife a week ago and said I had spent so much money on the best parts (exterior/ ie J's Racing, Mugen, Cwest, etc) for the S2000. The funny thing was the NSX that I picked up looked better in stock form. I just couldnt believe it. I like the NSX but my only problem with it is it sits to darn low. My S2000 was really low but this cars stance stock was lower than my lowered S2000. Every angle of the NSX trumps any angle of the S2000 regardless of any kit or whatever. I still am amazed how modern this car still looks from 91-05.

EndlessNSX said:
Bumping this again. Well I have slowly started adding a few things here and there to my NSX.

From a month of ownership and 5 years of ownership with the S2000 I can say that the NA1 in stock fashion was/is faster than my S2000 with I/H/E. Not a lot faster but faster.

I was talking with my wife a week ago and said I had spent so much money on the best parts (exterior/ ie J's Racing, Mugen, Cwest, etc) for the S2000. The funny thing was the NSX that I picked up looked better in stock form. I just couldnt believe it. I like the NSX but my only problem with it is it sits to darn low. My S2000 was really low but this cars stance stock was lower than my lowered S2000. Every angle of the NSX trumps any angle of the S2000 regardless of any kit or whatever. I still am amazed how modern this car still looks from 91-05.

I miss having an S2000 terribly:frown: I'm still trying to talk the wife into letting me get another. I never thought the S2K needed anything body wise it has simple well designed classic lines. To me it's one of the few modern day classics. It's funny that they don't sell well it's a bargain for everything you get.

Back