NSX vs. s2000

It is not weight, although I think it did remove 75 lbs of unsprung mass. Its the front to rear spring rate ratio.

IMO, in the stock NSX, the wrong end is stiffer.

Stock 97+ 3.5kg/mm Front and 4.0 kg/mm REAR

Front is 10% softer than rear.

NSX-R 10.5kg/mm Front and 8.3kg/mm Rear

Front is ~25% stiffer than rear.

The softer front makes the car much less neutral and much less tossable.

My TODAs have 12k front, 10k rear.

i have an 01 spa yellow s2k, 03 spa yellow nsx, and silver grey 04 m3 smg.

s2k - great tossable weekend top down fun.

nsx - exclusivity, after all these years ppl still do double takes and take pics. sexy as hell.

m3 - great daily driver and plenty of power.

my nsx is going back off lease on july 7th...replacing it with lotus exige and new 911 c4s.

budget properly...get the s2k first.

Yeah, i currently have a subaru impreza "sti" but it always lack something which is the sporty styling i crave for.

i am currently considering selling this daily drive for either a S2000 or a NSX for my daily.

i am 21 years old and i have no debt. i was considering selling my car and using the money to purchase one of those cars and well just doing VERY mild things to it, unlike my impreza which has a lot of $$$$ in it. They wont be as fast, but im sure ill be much happier either way.

What is the cost of maintance on a NSX? price on a new motor if one blows? (high milage ya know)

how many of you guys actually DD the NSX, i know it has to be very few. btw, i only commute about 2-3 miles to work :)

sonnynhoung said:
What is the cost of maintance on a NSX? price on a new motor if one blows? (high milage ya know)

how many of you guys actually DD the NSX, i know it has to be very few. btw, i only commute about 2-3 miles to work :)

I think more people DD than you think. I know I do...

If you blow a motor, you'll pay big bucks. Just like any car that costs $80k new, expect to pay more to fix it when it breaks. Personally, for a 15yr old car (1991), it's held together amazingly, but it's not trouble free by any means. If you don't have a solid budget for this car, I would not get it. (for example, you expect to buy one for 30-40k and then never put any more $$ into it for a couple years...that's just not going to happen.)

sonnynhoung said:
i am 21 years old and i have no debt.
how many of you guys actually DD the NSX,

Ok so your young... Some of the older generation don't understand this abreviated slang you youngsters use...

Do us a favour and write what you are saying please...

Now what does DD mean???

My suggestion would be, as you are young and starting off, to get the S2000 first. Learn how to drive a RWD, light, well-balanced car (auto-x, track etc.),
save enough and then buy a newer 2002+ NSX. That is what I am working
towards. I bought a 02 S2000 in 04 (because of the saving, car was pristine
and like the 2.0L better) and have had it for 2 years and love it dearly. It
has become my weekend/fun car now and I always look forward to
driving it. It is new enough with lower miles (32K) that I am not concerned
with any maintenance issues yet, so that gives me peace of mind. I also
own a house and would never have a car like the S2000 or NSX wiithout
a house (garage), but that's me. So, I would advise - house, S2000 and later
NSX. :)

I get bored of cars easily, but the S always feels refreshingly new. Good luck.

When I was making 40k and single there was no way I could afford an NSX..no way!!...The car I bought was owned by a 26 year old mortgage banker and he was pulling way more than 40k per year, but when he broke the inner door handle ($500 from the dealer) 2 weeks after paying 3k for a timing belt and major service he decided that is was not a good daily driver car for him...he was right..sorry to be a wet blanket but even an S2k is on the edge as far as a reasonable use of funds...you should buy a house or a condo and take advantage of the rising market..then you may later use some of your huge Eqt in your home to purchase your dream car...I have seen soo many young people work every day to pay for a car and it is just not smart.

Even if you are a do it yourselfer the parts are crazy expensive...250$ for a water pump..160$ for a timing belt...and Mod parts are a whole nuther world of money pitting.

Get a Miata or maybe an S2k and invest wisely...good luck

i maybe young but i am not new to driving performance cars.

ive had a few decent cars since i was 16, half were turbo charged. 250wheel hp gc8 impreza(ej20), 280 hp 240sx(ka24) 300hp gc8 impreza(ej257) with suspension mods/tuning to hold there own.

I am also considering the S2000, but i think i would rather have a na1 instead.

why is the age always a problem for buying a car?

:confused:

lollolboy said:
why is the age always a problem for buying a car?

:confused:

I think it's a generalization that most younger folks don't have the resources to support a car like this...simply because they haven't been out in the work force as long and built up solid wealth. This doesn't mean there aren't exceptions to the rule.

I would imagine it being a rather rude awakening when you're spending $800 in tires every year, $2000 for a clutch and $1500 for a timing belt replacement while your buddies are driving SRT-4's, Stangs, etc with little or no $$ going into them. (isn't that what kids are driving these days?).

I know when I was 21, I was happy to have a older stang with the 5.0. Cheap to own, cheaper to mod, and a hell of a lot of fun.

(I would also reccomend owning a house, having a solid job, etc before buying a car like this. There's just other things that are better investments and make more sense in the long run. If you take two people, one buys an expensive car and the other buys a house, the guy with the house will be buying the other guys car in 5 years.)

s2000 suspension upgrade is poo.

If you cant handle the car, dont push it to and beyond the limits. If your an idiot driver and cant take the heat, should not be driving it that way.

cant believe people dumb down cars for idiots who cant drive.:rolleyes:

Throw my babies side ways all day. Dont see any suspension problems.:cool:

My advice is to get a better job and get both cars.

S2K is more fun to drive. The NSX gets more looks.

how do you plan to buy the NSX? you probably aint get any cash since your starting your new job and there aint no way in hell your getting financed for a NSX when the bank looks at your take home - average living expenses... NSX = cash buy.

from what im looking at, your in the red Mr:biggrin:

Dont mention insurance + gas + maintaince.

Good luck, maybe in 5 - 2 -10.:biggrin:

reality sucks hun?!:wink:

ps: age is never a problem for buying a car of any kind. Its the money. A few privilidged ones are young in age and rich in money. Thats the best combo. 40K/year aint it.

pss: Dont ask your wife! .. you know who you are. Most likely, your the one bring home the bacon, working your toosh off all your life and for what? an earlier death of about 10 years. I guarantee you that when your dead and your wife is having a gay old time with your money, she aint going to be thinking of your approval. Just go and buy the car and put your foot down. Men need to be men and step up. Go buy that car and reclaim your dignity and when she starts acting up, tell her to go to the kitching and get you a ______ <---- fill in the blank with that you desire at that moment. It always works wonders for me. Act like a man and you'll be respected as one. Act like a ATM, you'll be her ATM.

Worst bumper sticker i ever saw once was. " DRIVER CARRIES NO MONEY, WIFE HAS THE WALLET", what it acturally means, "im a b*tch, and my wife has my d*ck in a pickle jar"

man up and go get your check book! thank me later for my good advice.:biggrin:

Last edited:
FF2Skip said:
An early NSX will have depreciated as much as it's going to depreciate, unless you wreck it. If the only two choices are the previously mentioned vehicles, I say get the NSX. This is coming from a guy who can account for over $65k this instant on an '02 S2000 parked in my garage(total includes car purchase price)- not all the parts ever tried on it. Hopefully the red '93 NSX I drove yesterday and wife-approved today will be in my garage next week. I won't list the current mods here- hopefully I will run down my camera's battery taking pics next week, but we have agreed on a price of $24,500. Deals can be found. Good luck.

wow 65K on a S2000... it better have soild 24K gold rims.

probably 20K in the car, 10K in parts and 35K in labor fees :biggrin: if you acturally had anywhere close to 65K invested in parts and not wasted on labor, you s2k would not be sitting your garage while the nsx gets exercise. your mechanic must love you big time... Mr my wife approved my purchase.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

if you had the power of self approval, it would be in your garage already:rolleyes:

Last edited:
RON98 said:
... Men need to be men and step up. Go buy that car and reclaim your dignity.

Worst bumper sticker i ever saw once was. " DRIVER CARRIES NO MONEY, WIFE HAS THE WALLET", what it acturally means, "im a b*tch, and my wife has my d*ck in a pickle jar"

So true... :wink:

RON98 said:
pss: Dont ask your wife! .. you know who you are. Most likely, your the one bring home the bacon...

[snip]

Just go and buy the car and put your foot down. Men need to be men and step up. Go buy that car and reclaim your dignity and when she starts acting up, tell her to go to the kitching and get you a ______ <---- fill in the blank with that you desire at that moment. It always works wonders for me. Act like a man and you'll be respected as one.
That's the dumbest wanna-be-macho bullshit I've seen in a long time. I can't believe these words are coming from a married male (can't say man because you sound like an insecure boy). Sure, men need to be men (and there are a lot these days who aren't), but the recipe for a real man isn't lord over your wife, ignore her input, devalue her as a person, undervalue her contribution to your relationship and life together, and assume she is of ill motives.

You don't have to put others down to lift yourself up. Life isn't a zero-sum game.

Respect your wife (especially in front of others), value her input and work (especially if she's a stay-at-home mother or otherwise underpaid), take the initiative in meeting her needs (and forget what you want), and take the lead in nurturing your family's moral compass and spiritual life. These are a few indicators of a real man.

Well said. I was really surprised to read that previous post ... as I consider
people owning NSXs having a lot of class (having chosen a classy vehicle
themselves) and hopefully owing one soon. This thread is just going downhill
now ... I was reading it as it was particularly valuable to me as I am in the
same boat myself, trying to figure out if I can afford the maintenance and
repair costs on a NSX.

latzke said:
That's the dumbest wanna-be-macho bullshit I've seen in a long time. I can't believe these words are coming from a married male (can't say man because you sound like an insecure boy). Sure, men need to be men (and there are a lot these days who aren't), but the recipe for a real man isn't lord over your wife, ignore her input, devalue her as a person, undervalue her contribution to your relationship and life together, and assume she is of ill motives.

You don't have to put others down to lift yourself up. Life isn't a zero-sum game.

Respect your wife (especially in front of others), value her input and work (especially if she's a stay-at-home mother or otherwise underpaid), take the initiative in meeting her needs (and forget what you want), and take the lead in nurturing your family's moral compass and spiritual life. These are a few indicators of a real man.

lol

im not asking people to disrespect anyone else, ie their wife but there is a role for male and female.

Life has more of an order that way and both genders have a role to fill. Men, work their asses off to provide for the family. Women stay at home and raise the kids and take car of the castle.

You can value her opinion above all else but there are so many wipped men that never acheave their dreams due to the "kind" persuasion of their better/worse half.

No insecurities here my friend, it takes total security to put down your foot. After all, you dont want to make the wife mad do you?:rolleyes:

If a woman respected his man, she would not need to give him authorization to buy a car with his hard earned money. If a man has respect for himself, he would keep his finances in good condition, make sure there is more than enough saved for the family and if he wants a car, he goes and buys a car with out seeking approval since the car is for him and him alone + he earned it.

Im not speaking of irresponsibile spending but asking for permission is just pussy. You are the one that are insecure and cant make up your mind with out seeking approval.

Im sad to see that you have been wipped into submission and have yours in a pickle jar.

Originally Posted by vtec29k
Well said. I was really surprised to read that previous post ... as I consider
people owning NSXs having a lot of class (having chosen a classy vehicle
themselves) and hopefully owing one soon. This thread is just going downhill
now ... I was reading it as it was particularly valuable to me as I am in the
same boat myself, trying to figure out if I can afford the maintenance and
repair costs on a NSX.

Reality is reality. If you want it suger coated, then sure go ahead and get that nsx, its 10$ at the local jiffy lube for an oil change, 99$ special at any local mechanic for timing belt and if the engine breaks down, its only 200-300$ from the junk yard for a used one with 20K miles and when you cant make payments, repo man driving by every night, dont have money for insurance, a little short for rent, have ask friends for gas money, losing it.... go drive your NSX, im sure everything will be alright.

Facts are facts, just giving it to you straight. If you cant afford it, you cant afford it. Dont act foolish, it wont change anything, if anything, take action and get a better job.

Im going boating/fishing with my lady. I love Mondays :D im pretty sure that makes her happier then nagging her for her approval like a child. When i want a car, i go buy a car. Acturally she was the one that suggested getting a boat.... so next day we went and picked one up. You can honor your lady with out disrespecting yourself. I have a hand full cars and never heard one peep from her about them. Catch you guys in 10 hours:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited:
RON98 said:
...it takes total security to put down your foot.
That is so off-base...the kind of crap I expect to hear watching Cops (domestic situations).

RON98 said:
...there are so many wipped men that never acheave their dreams due to the "kind" persuasion of their better/worse half.
What kind of dreams are these? Threesomes, spending a majority of your free time away from her (or the family, if you have kids), over-indulging in stuff (especially when it's fiscally irresponsible like taking out a loan to buy a car), etc?

There must be "wipped" men who are kept down by a woman because I saw it the one time I watched "Divorse Court," but that is so rare I can't justify taking that into consideration when discussing this subject. More often I see selfish men who are chasing selfish dreams at the expense of their family and their own personal well-being. There would be a lot more "real men" in this world if those guys would listen to their wife (which seems to be the opposite of what you're encouraging). Real men are selfless...not selfish.

RON98 said:
If a woman respected his man, she would not need to give him authorization to buy a car with his hard earned money. If a man has respect for himself, he would keep his finances in good condition, make sure there is more than enough saved for the family and if he wants a car, he goes and buys a car with out seeking approval since the car is for him and him alone + he earned it.
This just takes the cake. The majority of people on this forum will immediately see what's wrong with your attitude. People I consider to be "real men" don't have such an attitude, especially in marriage.

Let's take the first sentence of that quote...

If a woman respected his man, she would not need to give him authorization to buy a car with his hard earned money.

1. If a man respected his woman, he would not need authorization from her to buy a car, but he would not buy a car without it ... and throughout the time they're considering the purchase he would give preference to her needs, wants, & desires above his own.

2. If you are married, the money you earn is not your (singular) money but your (you and your wife's) money. You do not have the right to do with it whatever you please, regardless of how well you're taking care of your wife/family and/or how much surplus budget exists.

latzke said:

Absolutely correct!! I even asked my wife if it was okay to agree with that and she said I could!!!!:biggrin: I think it's absolutely a team effort and it is because of my wife that I get to enjoy many great things in my life such as the NSX. WE both work hard and WE use OUR money on things we choose to after much discussion. I've not met your wife Craig, but she sounds great and she must be. You're right on all counts. If she ever gets any dirt on your car, let us know.....we'll come and rough her up!!!:smile:

I drove my NSX and Nugget's S2000 yesterday. Both are great cars. The S2000 incredibly solid in corners and very quiet in cabin with the top down. It definitely lacks low end of the NSX and you have to keep the revs up for passing etc. NSX is more stable at high speeds and I do like the sounds from the engine bay, but only slightly more. It's nice to push a button and the top is gone away quick and vice versa. I told Nugget I'd trade him even up, but the deal breaker was that kick ass cassette player the NSX has standard. The S2000 falls short in being able to play those great Conway Twitty tunes from truckstops!!

I1O101I said:
There is nothing wrong with an NSX at a young age. I am 22, I bought a house just last year, and I just bought an NSX just last month. Some of us youngsters know how to manage there money.

agreed, im 24 and hopefully buying mine thursday morning :biggrin: then it'll be time to start seriously looking for a house. of course no bills and back to back tours in Iraq sure dont hurt the ole wallet :wink:

After three years without my S2k, I ran out and bought a 06 AP2 last week as my daily driver. Interestingly, Honda make this car so freakin soft it drives like my old 95 NSX T. And my 03 NSX with Type R suspension drives like my old AP1. I must say, AP2's power plant is better, easier to live with, but I do miss that 9k RPM...

I started out buzzing around in an 03 s2k before the NSX. At first the s2k felt like a god! It railed on corners, especially the tighter ones, accelerated like a rocket, but was a handful when it broke out sideways, prone to spinning like a top. THEN I bought a NSX, unseen in person, NEVER driven one. Then I realized the s2k felt like a TOY compared to the NSX. I like the NSX, but the s2k does have a GREAT top down feel, very comfortable and quiet at speed top down. The s2k can rail any corner one handed, while the nsx required full attention two hands on at all times. The s2k would run circles around the nsx in tight tight small corners because of how heavy the steering is in the nsx. However the NSX felt much more comfortable destroying bigger curves at higher speeds that would make me piss myself in the s2k, even the s2k is capable of it too. S2k is a fun car no doubt, great daily driver while the nsx is just too troublesome for me to drive everyday. I don't DD my nsx, but since I've been in cali from colorado on vacation, I've had to DD it now for a week and half and for another 2-3 weeks till it goes into temporary storage here.

If you haven't owned an nsx, the s2k will put a HUGE grin on your face guaranteed. I've stepped up and it'd be hard for me to make a s2k a toy to replace my nsx. LOVE the more raw feel of torque and larger size of the car. But damn can a s2k zip in and out of traffic like my sportbike!

KooLaid said:
I started out buzzing around in an 03 s2k before the NSX. At first the s2k felt like a god! It railed on corners, especially the tighter ones, accelerated like a rocket, but was a handful when it broke out sideways, prone to spinning like a top. THEN I bought a NSX, unseen in person, NEVER driven one. Then I realized the s2k felt like a TOY compared to the NSX. I like the NSX, but the s2k does have a GREAT top down feel, very comfortable and quiet at speed top down. The s2k can rail any corner one handed, while the nsx required full attention two hands on at all times. The s2k would run circles around the nsx in tight tight small corners because of how heavy the steering is in the nsx. However the NSX felt much more comfortable destroying bigger curves at higher speeds that would make me piss myself in the s2k, even the s2k is capable of it too. S2k is a fun car no doubt, great daily driver while the nsx is just too troublesome for me to drive everyday. I don't DD my nsx, but since I've been in cali from colorado on vacation, I've had to DD it now for a week and half and for another 2-3 weeks till it goes into temporary storage here.

If you haven't owned an nsx, the s2k will put a HUGE grin on your face guaranteed. I've stepped up and it'd be hard for me to make a s2k a toy to replace my nsx. LOVE the more raw feel of torque and larger size of the car. But damn can a s2k zip in and out of traffic like my sportbike!

I completely agree.

Back