mistaken identity, Vol. #99

Originally posted by Midnight_Raven:

AW great I just got myself confused again.
confused.gif
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Tiger740 (edited 10 December 2002).]

This thread is so good...
I can Relate,
My car has been so many times mistaken for a Vette,Ferrari,Lambo..even someone said Mclaren once LoL..
Plus I have Honda Badging every where so a lot of people who dont know say "I thought this was an Acura?"...I try to explain nicely.

HAHA..Good stuff you guys!

------------------
www.xlconcepts.com

Here's one. Guy pulls up next to me,

"what year is that?"

"93"

"Really?!! I had a 97 but the body style was different, your's is alot boxier"

To this day I still have no idea what kind of car he had.

My car has had two mistaken identies, both of them good.
biggrin.gif

When I bought my '91 silver NSX in 1997 in North Dakota, I was driving it home to California. Along the North Dakota/Montana border, I stopped at a rest stop. A minivan arrived and a bunch of kids made a beeline straight to my car getting an eyeful. The father comes a long and tells me that I have a very rare car. I told him it was a car that you don't normally see on the road. He said it was a McLaren. I told him it was a NSX made by Honda, the same company that produces Civics and Accords. He insisted that this car was built by McLaren for Honda. He stood corrected once I showed him the ID tag on the side of the door.

Later on in my drive in Idaho, this guy walked up to me and asked me what kind of car I was driving. He thought I was test driving a Nissan prototype to replace the last generation Z in 1996. I told him it was an NSX made by Honda available since 1991. He was blown away. Said he'd look into buying one someday.

[This message has been edited by Vytas (edited 10 December 2002).]

I had a guy argue with me over the year of my car... I told him it was a 93.. he said no way.. its like a 97.. he insisted on it... he kept arguing with me..i was like.. dude, i bought the thing... i think i know! Sheesh!

Originally posted by NetViper:
I had a guy argue with me over the year of my car... I told him it was a 93.. he said no way.. its like a 97.. he insisted on it... he kept arguing with me..i was like.. dude, i bought the thing... i think i know! Sheesh!

hehe... me, i woulda tried to explain the VIN, and how to use it to tell the year... thats almost the easiest way at a quick look to tell the year if your not sure....

------------------

No Curves, No Challenge....

Any idiot can drive fast in a straight line...

Next time show him the VIN sticker on the door jam which shows the month/year of manufacture.

It sometimes amazes me how non-NSX owners try to pass themselves off as NSX experts. I met such a character once. We were talking about sports cars and the NSX came up. I didn't tell him that I owned one but he was very eager to tell me about the NSX that he once supposedly owned. Asking him specific questions about the car that only a NSX owner would know, revealed so much BS. This guy was so clueless about this car, only what he heard/read about the car from car magazines.

*lol* That's pretty funny... i think we have a winner...
smile.gif

So I was checking out of Walmart this morning with the Revell die-cast NSX models, and an older guy gets in line behind me and says, "nice Camaro." Guess I can't really blame him though:

PIC00122.jpg

Originally posted by Dan H:
I still find it funny when people refuse to believe that their Acura is made from Honda, Lexus from Toyota, etc.

Acura is made by Honda?

Nice Camaro.

[This message has been edited by Tony Montoya (edited 15 December 2002).]

One week ago I got the chance to take mine out and give it a bath(I've had it for a mere 3 weeks). After drying, I drove it no more than one mile from home. I pass two cops in a cruiser--uuueeeyy. Oh Christ, not already is my first thought. They both hop out. One cop is arguing to the other "Its a Ferrari" the other "No its some kinda Japanese supercar" I amused them both and answered all their questions with much respect, including "Yes, Honda has hand built this car in Japan for about 11 years now." Not even a warning about my highly illegal tint(5% max in 50%).

Anyone ever voluntered to do a parade or the like to earn a few brownie points with the local cops?

The most recent disappointment was a kid at Subway that was sure my car was an MR Spyder... bah.

I did have an interesting experience that was spawned from a really crappy one. A lady rear ended me on the 6th day I owned my car, about 3 years ago. I had temporary tags on it still and dealer signature plate holders.

After the lady hits me, we pull on to a side road where she quickly dismisses her stupidity as 'no big deal, doesn't look too bad anyway'.

About a minute later her husband pulls on to the same road, parks, jumps out of his truck, walks around to where my car is and yells at his wife "Oh crap, do you know what you just did? Do you! You just hit a $100,000 car, and oh Jesus, it's brand new too!"

My car is a '91. I certianly wasn't thrilled about her hitting me, but that was almost comical.

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 01 January 2003).]

Originally posted by Jonathan:
The most recent disappointment was a kid at Subway that was sure my car was an MR Spyder... bah.

soapbox.gif

Ya know, this just proves the lack of intelligence that the American youth has...

Understandable they don't know what a 90K dollar car is, but when they confuse it with a 25K dollar car!?!?!

I mean which is closer to their price range, which is it more likely that they have seen in person before, or know another kid that has one??? And then to argue with the cars owner about what it is!?!?!

And about the only thing the MR2 Spyder and an NSX have in common is the MR.....

Sorry had to rant.... Ok off the soapbox now....

And I am not putting down every youth, just the majority of them. I myself am 19... and a large portion of ppl I talk to have no idea what an NSX is, but a few do....

Just more often you hear of the ones that come up to you and have no clue, than the ones that come up and complement you on the engineering marvel you're driving.....

Originally posted by Jonathan:
After the lady hits me, we pull on to a side road where she quickly dismisses her stupidity as 'no big deal, doesn't look too bad anyway'.

About a minute later her husband pulls on to the same road, parks, jumps out of his truck, walks around to where my car is and yells at his wife "Oh crap, do you know what you just did? Do you! You just hit a $100,000 car, and oh Jesus, it's brand new too!"

My car is a '91. I certianly wasn't thrilled about her hitting me, but that was almost comical.

*lol* that's a great story!!! rofl
rofl2.gif

------------------
NeoNSX
If the Matrix is real, then the NSX is just a figment of your imagination.

A colleague to my father stops by and gets a glimpse of the red thunder in the garage and immediately drops the greeting process to investigate
smile.gif
He is a bit of a hillbilly and interested in American cars from the 50’s and 60’s (bigger fins is better) so he gets a bit disappointed when my car isn’t a Pontiac or Camaro or whatever.
As we start to talk about the car and how c00l it looks and advanced construction it have he repeatedly throws out comments like “It is FWD”, “4 cylinder engine” and then of course confuses it with 3000ZX (the Nissan car
smile.gif
“ohhh its supercharged”, “4WD then?” etc. etc.
Like the kids more, they see a red and rare car and go directly to the conclusion that it is expensive (more than a 1991) and treats it with respect.
Adults usually have to defend them selves in some way ether by thrashing my car or praising them selves. “Oh my mother-in-law have a Honda, it’s rusty” or “nice car, I will by a Ferrari tomorrow” (which they of course never do).

smile.gif
/Klas

My son's friend said, "cool! the car from Play Station, an NSX!" (he's 8!) Meanwhile, a young salesman at a local car dealership asked "is that your Nissan?"

Originally posted by JimK:
My son's friend said, "cool! the car from Play Station, an NSX!" (he's 8!) Meanwhile, a young salesman at a local car dealership asked "is that your Nissan?"

wow, may be some hope for the youth yet.....

I heard my next door neighbor kid say to his older brother (as they were washing his Integra) some day I'm gonna get an NSX! His brother replied, "those are awesome". A day or two later I was washing my car in the drive way and they both came outside for some random reason and noticed me washing. The younger brother (13 or 14 years old) said, "woah...check that out". "What is it"? The older brother (19 or 20 years old) says "it's a Ferrari". I smiled and said "you guessed it".
wink.gif

------------------
Todd E. Williams
'94 NSX Berlina Black/Onyx

[This message has been edited by tewills (edited 02 January 2003).]

Originally posted by tewills:
I heard my next door neighbor kid say to his older brother (as they were washing his Integra) some day I'm gonna get an NSX! His brother replied, "those are awesome". A day or two later I was washing my car in the drive way and they both came outside for some random reason and noticed me washing. The younger brother (13 or 14 years old) said, "woah...check that out". "What is it"? The older brother (19 or 20 years old) says "it's a Ferrari". I smiled and said "you guessed it".
wink.gif

ROFL

This just gets funnier and funnier....

My wife and I pull up to the local video store and as I get out of the car, this teenager (approx ~15yrs old) notices my red NSX and starts yelling and running down the sidewalk.

He started off around 25 yards away yelling,"DUDE, IS THAT A FERRARI?!?!"
He yells atleast 3 more times before he gets about 5 feet from the car.
"DUDE...DUDE..Is that a Ferrari?"
I reply back, "No it's an Acura ;-D"

His enthusiastic face totally changes from excitement to disappointment and replies," OHHHH ;-( ". and then turns away..... no more questions, nothing..

I turn to my wife and we are amazed how STUPID/ignorant</> kids are today!
I don't mind enlightening people about the NSX, but ignorance is untolerable.

------------------
Biaggi
92 NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

When did kids become so brand conscientious? In my day a cool looking car was a cool car no matter what; I didn't care about (or look for) the badging. This is sad...

Back