iPhone coming to Verizon?

30 pin standard? :rolleyes:

I think the almost decade of iPod dominance (and all of those from the last several years use that connector), plus the iphones and ipad in the last few years have combined to form a de facto standard. It's the reason there are things like the USAspec ipod adapter, the ipod cable that comes on Porsches and BMWs and all those other cars--it's an unofficial standard.

Last edited:
When Apple is the ONLY company that makes a product requiring the 30 pin connector, and then sues the pants off of companies that want to make accessories for this connector unless they license it from Apple, it is not remotely close to what I would call a standard.

Every other mobile phone company in existence uses micro USB. Apple is the only hold out that I'm aware of. There's no standard there, just market share that other non-mobile phone companies decided they would support.

haha wait, you mean that I have to buy a 30 pin "standard" micro usb adapter so I can use it with apple products when every other modern cell phone uses micro usb "standard"? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

When Apple is the ONLY company that makes a product requiring the 30 pin connector, and then sues the pants off of companies that want to make accessories for this connector unless they license it from Apple, it is not remotely close to what I would call a standard.

Every other mobile phone company in existence uses micro USB. Apple is the only hold out that I'm aware of. There's no standard there, just market share that other non-mobile phone companies decided they would support.

You have to sign a licensing agreement to sell products with USB connectors also.

Also, who did Apple sue the pants off of for making an unlicensed product using the 30 pin connector? Just curious.

You have to sign a licensing agreement to sell products with USB connectors also.

Also, who did Apple sue the pants off of for making an unlicensed product using the 30 pin connector? Just curious.

Just google:
apples sues connector

There's several companies listed in the first page of results.

It's my understanding the micro USB license is royalty free and you can deal with the license issue up to one year after shipping your products.

Really though, come on, big 30 pin connector only used on the phone of one manufacturer that costs money to license..... or tiny micro USB, free to license and used by every other manufacturer.

Are we really in a debate here over which is the standard??? At the end of the day, Apple is using USB. It plugs into the USB interface on your computer, it uses the USB protocol... they just decided to swap out the connector on the other end so they could squeeze out money from peripheral manufacturers from licensing agreements. It's similar to the stuff Sony liked to pull, only Apple has been much more successful at it.

Last edited:

You're agreeing with me, but you are calling it market share rather than an unofficial standard. I can agree with that label too.

That market share has resulted in a bunch of accessory companies making stuff (cases, speaker docks, car interfaces, etc.) for ipods and iphones in a wild variety of choices. So you can get your Paul Frank monkey plastic iphone case, or one in machined aluminum if you want to.

That 30 pin connector has a lot more functionality than USB--it has analog audio, component video (SD), a protocol for controlling the media player, power supply for external accessories, an interface for controlling external hardware, and more that I'm not aware of I'm sure. It's not like a USB connector is a straight out swap. Sure, you can transmit all that over USB (not the analog audio and video, and no control of slave hardware since the phone itself is a USB slave device), but then you have to define a full suite of protocols for all the functionality, and then enforce all the phone companies to implement it to get the same uniformity that the ipod/iphone/ipad market has.

Sure, new devices like the phones have additional functionality that were not in the old ipods, resulting in warnings popping up on the screen to let you know, and after two years' notice to accessory makers, they dropped the firewire charging voltage support for cost reasons, but the general interface has been pretty consistent.

Just because ONE company uses a 30-pin connector on ONLY their devices does not make it a standard.

Mirco USB is the standard. Period. How can you guys even argue that?

Just because ONE company uses a 30-pin connector on ONLY their devices does not make it a standard.

Mirco USB is the standard. Period. How can you guys even argue that?

It's not a question of it being an industry standard or not -- everyone knows it's not, and that's not up for debate. However, by virtue of there being close to a billion devices using the SAME (ie standardized) connector, it's a reality that accessory makers accept and support.

As mentioned by others it's a superset of USB, so it's not a question of simply replacing it with a micro-USB connector. There are plenty (a billion) good reasons to stick with the existing connector.

It's not a question of it being an industry standard or not -- everyone knows it's not, and that's not up for debate. However, by virtue of there being close to a billion devices using the SAME (ie standardized) connector, it's a reality that accessory makers accept and support.

As mentioned by others it's a superset of USB, so it's not a question of simply replacing it with a micro-USB connector. There are plenty (a billion) good reasons to stick with the existing connector.

I suppose it doesn't make sense to change now, but why couldn't apple have used the standard USB port then the original iPhone was first released?

I suppose it doesn't make sense to change now, but why couldn't apple have used the standard USB port then the original iPhone was first released?

Well the first iPod was back in 2001... micro-USB wasn't introduced til 6 years later. If they had gone with the original USB connector, people would be complaining today about why they weren't using micro-USB. It also didn't make sense to switch when the iPhone was released as they already had hundreds of millions of devices out there using this "standard" connector.

In hindsight, they made a smart decision to come up with their own proprietary connector that also supported lines for functionality beyond what was possible with plain USB. I would say that back in 2001 Apple was also a company that was less concerned about HW conformance and didn't think twice about proprietary connectors. In this case, it was brilliant.. however I can think of more than one example where it has bit them in the ass.

I think it was a couple of things--micro-USB as a standard for phones is pretty recent. There was an effort in Europe to get phone manufacturers to agree to it only a year ago:

http://gizmodo.com/5389063/united-nations-approves-microusb-universal-phone-charger-standard

When the iPhone came out, you have to look at it from Apple's perspective. You have millions and millions of iPods in the field--everyone has iPod chargers, speaker docks, car interfaces. You want your first phone to have a good chance to capitalize on those accessories, as well as work with car interfaces. The micro USB charger agreement does not exist. Most phones have their own charger plugs. What would you choose?

Just google:
apples sues connector

There's several companies listed in the first page of results.
Only one of those results appears to be related to the connector we're talking about (not for sure about that even, link won't open). What were you saying again?

Lets not get carried away and also say that all non-Apple phones use micro-USB. Also, there are like 5 different USB connectors. Type A the most prevalent, Type B used with most printers from what I have seen. The other ones I have seen on different phones, are Micro-USB Type A, Micro-USB Type B, Mini-USB Type B 5 pin, Mini-USB Type B 4 pin, and lets not even get started with Micro-USB Type B for USB 3.0 which I'm sure will become more widespread sooner or later.

Lets not get carried away and also say that all non-Apple phones use micro-USB. Also, there are like 5 different USB connectors. Type A the most prevalent, Type B used with most printers from what I have seen. The other ones I have seen on different phones, are Micro-USB Type A, Micro-USB Type B, Mini-USB Type B 5 pin, Mini-USB Type B 4 pin, and lets not even get started with Micro-USB Type B for USB 3.0 which I'm sure will become more widespread sooner or later.

Good point. The phone manufacturers adopted micro-USB type B for the charging standard. Which for today's needs is more than sufficient for both data and charging. When phones use USB 3.0, these chargers will still work. But a phone should not need USB 3.0 for a few years IMO. The flash memory in phones isn't fast enough to warrant USB 3.0 nor is the data connection.

Regarding Apple suing over a connector....

It was Apple's patented MagSafe connector that Apple sued over, and not the 30 pin iPod/iPhone/iPad standard. Apple would be foolish and delinquent for their shareholders if they did not protect their patents.

USB is still a mish-mash of competing standards. And years ago when Apple decided upon their 30 pin connector the state of USB connector standards were even worse.

Also, when Apple came out with this 30 pin connector it supported a WHOLE lot more than USB. It also carried FireWire for example. And it also carries video. It's a multi-purpose connector that handles multiple protocols. The extra unused pins will be useful in the future for expansion. If they used USB they would be limited. Of course, AppleHaters find ways to view the glass as half-full even when they're unaware of the history and facts.

This whole conversation is kind of moot because the original poster lamented the fact that he couldn't (or wouldn't) put the iPad in a car because it lacked USB. Which is incorrect and lots of people are putting iPads into cars every day.

http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

.;.;.

Last edited:
Regarding Apple suing over a connector....

It was Apple's patented MagSafe connector that Apple sued over, and not the 30 pin iPod/iPhone/iPad standard. Apple would be foolish and delinquent for their shareholders if they did not protect their patents.

USB is still a mish-mash of competing standards. And years ago when Apple decided upon their 30 pin connector the state of USB connector standards were even worse.

Also, when Apple came out with this 30 pin connector it supported a WHOLE lot more than USB. It carried FireWire. And now it also carries video. It's a multi-purpose connector that handles multiple protocols. The extra unused pins will be useful in the future for expansion. If they used USB they would be limited. Of course, AppleHaters find ways to view the glass as half-full even when they're unaware of the history and facts.

This whole conversation is kind of moot because the original poster lamented the fact that he couldn't (or wouldn't) put the iPad in a car because it lacked USB. Which is untrue and lots of people are putting iPads into cars every day.

http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

.;.;.

Speaking of iPad in a car, I did a quick search in Youtube and found this. interesting.
<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5SkltRqOF5k?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5SkltRqOF5k?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

Speaking of iPad in a car, I did a quick search in Youtube and found this. interesting.
<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5SkltRqOF5k?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5SkltRqOF5k?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

I hope I am not the only one who thinks that is ugly.

I just got a new smartphone/mini-tablet called Dell Streak and this is one piece of hardware that I'd be so proud to mount on my car. I still can't believe someone actually thought of mounting an iPad in a car. LOL!

dell_streak_01-540x363.jpg

Last edited:
I personally think a CDMA iphone is not a great idea. Not being able to to voice and data at the same time will hurt some of the iphone functionality.

If Verizon releases an LTE/CDMA iPhone, it would be killer... but it is unlikely this early in the game.

Personally I would wait until June when the iPhone 5 comes out and will most likely be LTE ... especially now that Verizon screwed everyone on their yearly upgrades.

I still have my doubts about this. Verizon announcing an Apple product? There's also the exclusivity contract with AT&T. If this is truly happening, I'm betting Verizon paid some major $$$$ for this to happen. Then there's the whole CDMA/LTE issue. Apple would definitely announce a LTE capable phone at their event, so I doubt this will be a LTE iPhone. Then again, I don't know if iPhone 5 will be LTE either. Apple waited till 3G was more widely available before releasing a 3G capable phone. It could be a CDMA iPad being released for Verizon too. Who knows, but we'll find out in about 24 hours. Like I said, once all carriers go LTE, with the exception of Sprint, it won't matter who you have service with. There will be roaming agreements with each other. It will come down to who has the better plans.

Yup, same prices as AT&T $199 & $299 on sale in about a month

Hmmm... just saw this.

mobile hotspot included! Up to 5 devices.

That is interesting.

Live from Verizon's iPhone event
By Joshua Topolsky posted Jan 11th 2011 10:20AM
Live Blog

* Sorting:
* Newest First | Oldest First
* Auto-refresh:
* Off | On

11:22AM Q: Why didn't you go the LTE route?

Tim: Two reasons -- the first gen LTW chipsets force design changes we wouldn't make. And Verizon customers told us they want the iPhone now. I can't tell you the number of times we've been asked 'when will it work on Verizon.'

11:25AM Question from Ars Technica: what happens when you're on a call and need to use data?

Dan: Same as a CDMA device.

So... you don't.

Last edited:
Back