Insane markups on local Craigslist ads

I just sold 96 (41k miles) with every possible paper work from day one. Out of all the cars offer for sale only 3-5% have "timeline" service history and this include NSX's. Why don't we start a thread with cars that have full documented records recommended by Acura maintenance book- pretty sure not many have full service records. How many NSX's owners on this board actually replace their timing belt every 6/7 yrs or 60k/105k miles? Or flush brake fluid every 3 years? or change oil ever 3/5k Miles? or flush clutch fluid? or replace tires every 5 years regardless if driven 50 miles or 50k miles? how abt recommended preventive maintenance 7500,15000,22500,30,000, 45000,60000, 75000 and 90000 etc. How many of these example have OEM paint ? I see cars everyday seller swears up and down paint is original and it is not. Normal "joe" cannot detect body work/paint work. Very small percentage of cars reveal paint work during PPI. You just can't tell if done right (no tape line no dust spot no fish eyes no orange peal etc...) Only way to tell is to use a paint meter and very few shop use paint gauge to detect paint work.

Prices of these rare and collectible cars go up over time due to the pool of low mileage and quality examples shrink over time.

However, pricing increase should be determined by the market, not by inidviduals trying to pump up the value by posting illegit ads.

I do believe my car falls into this category. 2 Owner, Doctor owned, entirely Acura serviced the entire time of ownership including Tires, Brakes, even the battery replaced by the dealership with ppw. I'm not interested to sell, but was very glad to find it when I did in the fact that it is very original and never messed with.

I just sold 96 (41k miles) with every possible paper work from day one. Out of all the cars offer for sale only 3-5% have "timeline" service history and this include NSX's. Why don't we start a thread with cars that have full documented records recommended by Acura maintenance book- pretty sure not many have full service records. How many NSX's owners on this board actually replace their timing belt every 6/7 yrs or 60k/105k miles? Or flush brake fluid every 3 years? or change oil ever 3/5k Miles? or flush clutch fluid? or replace tires every 5 years regardless if driven 50 miles or 50k miles? how abt recommended preventive maintenance 7500,15000,22500,30,000, 45000,60000, 75000 and 90000 etc. How many of these example have OEM paint ? I see cars everyday seller swears up and down paint is original and it is not. Normal "joe" cannot detect body work/paint work. Very small percentage of cars reveal paint work during PPI. You just can't tell if done right (no tape line no dust spot no fish eyes no orange peal etc...) Only way to tell is to use a paint meter and very few shop use paint gauge to detect paint work.

I try to pretend i know what i am doing :biggrin: and not saying i know it all but being in the automotive industry over 25 years -i have seen more car transactions than your average "civilian" and when comes to vintage cars you can throw the book out. Ferrari lambo's or what ever exotics, asking $ starts w/condition, miles, "service records" and is paint all original. IMO, original paint is a big deal in any exotic's. Price point, every used car is not alike and it is impossible to find a direct comparison from one to another. Example with my 04, what other 1 owner 04 under 25k miles out there offer for sale with all paper work from day 1? You see what i am saying, is hard to find a direct comparison. Plenty of 02 -2005 30-50k miles with average asking price in the mid to upper $60's or more.

- - - Updated - - -

I do believe my car falls into this category. 2 Owner, Doctor owned, entirely Acura serviced the entire time of ownership including Tires, Brakes, even the battery replaced by the dealership with ppw. I'm not interested to sell, but was very glad to find it when I did in the fact that it is very original and never messed with.

There are a few 03-05 listed here for sale past 2 months up to today asking almost top dollar (mid $60's) with "defer." maintenance and paint is not original. As a buyer wouldn't you rather pay a little more for a clean example that is all original with all service records include timing belt service?

IMO, all original no mod low mileage with documented service records should command premium dollars.

In my opinion it all depends on the buyer. I do not see why an all original 1991 NSX should command a higher premium then a modded NSX of the same mileage. I would never drive any car stock, especially an NSX. If I were to pay a premium on an all stock car; I would then have to sink thousands into customizing it, suspension, wheels, stereo, aero kit, i/h/e etc etc etc.

For a buyer like me, I would actually pay a premium for a modded car over an all original stock one. I can't see why people would pay more for a stock geared NSX vs one with NSX-r short gears installed, just because its unmolested? I think we have to all agree the OEM 91-93 wheels are butt ugly, the oem Bose stereo system sucks and the list goes on of must things I would need to change...

I guess different strokes for different folks though

In my opinion it all depends on the buyer. I do not see why an all original 1991 NSX should command a higher premium then a modded NSX of the same mileage. I would never drive any car stock, especially an NSX. If I were to pay a premium on an all stock car; I would then have to sink thousands into customizing it, suspension, wheels, stereo, aero kit, i/h/e etc etc etc.

For a buyer like me, I would actually pay a premium for a modded car over an all original stock one. I can't see why people would pay more for a stock geared NSX vs one with NSX-r short gears installed, just because its unmolested? I think we have to all agree the OEM 91-93 wheels are butt ugly, the oem Bose stereo system sucks and the list goes on of must things I would need to change...

Yup. Different strokes 4 different folks. But i think most buyers would prefer stock cars. Over time any classic cars holds top dollar vs modded from 63,65,67 vett's or any classic or vintage F-cars to mercedes or 240z. (IMO)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah i myself prefer after mkt wheels than 91-93 but will deff keep butt ugly wheels for resell

I think the NSX is far away from being in the collectors class of a 63 to 67 corvette. I would however still prefer a resto modded vette over an all original one. I drive cars for the experience, not the collectibility aspect, that is what my comic collection is for lol. But then again that is just me.

That is if you like the mods being put on the car by the previous owner. What if you don't like what's being put on the car? Would you still willing to pay more?

That is if you like the mods being put on the car by the previous owner. What if you don't like what's being put on the car? Would you still willing to pay more?

NSX pool of buyers are already small couple w/mod, you have now eliminated a few more buyers. More mod less buyers (IMO) cuz you have to find a buyer who wants what is already on her. Hey I prefer B. Spears as a brunette but other may disagree....

- - - Updated - - -

MYW... 05 black for $90k . Buy to keep or buy to resell?

Last edited:
that is a tough tough question.... seeing how rare and limited an NSX is today.... i cant see anyone paying close to new list price for a next to new (sub 5k mile car) to put miles on it.

i would assume someone would purchase it and have it locked away in a time capsule. if they wanted a newer nsx to buy, drive and enjoy i beleive there are a few black 02-05s that were on prime/trader that had relatively low milage (20-30k miles) in the 55k range that would seem like a more sound purchase based on usage/needs/depreciation/better value-per-dollar.

MYW... 05 black for $90k . Buy to keep or buy to resell?

- - - Updated - - -

an all original nsx clearly has some advantages; as many after market modifications are sadly done in poor taste/sub par quality parts/terrible workmanship. i have seen my share of build threads here where the current owner cannot believe how poorly the previous owners did their modifications.

with that said there is the other side of the coin where good quality parts/work would be a huge purchase incentive on modifications that a potential new owner would want. ie. i would love 02+ body conversion, kw v3s etc etc etc... and would see the value in paying more for that, but it simply isnt the case for all buyers.

NSX pool of buyers are already small couple w/mod, you have now eliminated a few more buyers. More mod less buyers (IMO) cuz you have to find a buyer who wants what is already on her. Hey I prefer B. Spears as a brunette but other may disagree....

- - - Updated - - -

+1 amen brother wong.

Last edited:
Have to agree, an original car will always bring more . my 97 was an original owner car with every piece of documentation since car was new (even have black velvet box that key fob, flashlight ,air gauge came in) .All services as per Acura ,this guy even had dealer change wiper blades . In my 40+ yrs of playing this game with cars ,boats and motorcycles once something is modified , its value goes down in comparison to cost of modification . I 've seen more money spent trying to get back to original and throwing out the aftermarket modifications .Yea the aftermarket guys will disagree but facts are facts

Have to agree, an original car will always bring more . my 97 was an original owner car with every piece of documentation since car was new (even have black velvet box that key fob, flashlight ,air gauge came in) .All services as per Acura ,this guy even had dealer change wiper blades . In my 40+ yrs of playing this game with cars ,boats and motorcycles once something is modified , its value goes down in comparison to cost of modification . I 've seen more money spent trying to get back to original and throwing out the aftermarket modifications .Yea the aftermarket guys will disagree but facts are facts

Agree. Like you said "we cant all agree" that's what makes this world so interesting! :smile: I think bolt on mod is ok as long as you convert it back to OEM when comes to putting it up for sale. IMO value drop once you start messing round w/ turbos, super charge this and that , upgrade motor/transmission from SOS, lower suspension, swap radio, body kits etc....Look at all these porsche's in the 60's-80's, buyers all over the world prefer originality and wouldn't mind pay top dollar.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the NSX is a collector car.

There are lots of features and history that would support my thought process.

And AAA has been offering collector car insurance for the NSX since last year.

How about civic/accord AAA offer collector car insurance? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Another listing. 2003 37k Miles $66k http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3677919734.html

A little over a month ago, I was looking seriously at a few very nice 02 conversions that were tastfully modded and well built. But, when I saw an original 02 in a rare color, I was willing to pay a few extra K for the original as it will always hold it's value over the modded car if it is maintained properly. That said there is nothing wrong in owning a modded car as there are advantages to buying a quality build. For example, more HP, updated electonics, higher performance parts and what I call bling... wheels and body mods. And they are a blast to drive. But in the back of my mind is the question, was it modded to correct some issue in their history? It is rare that you will see the documentation that can prove that it hasn't. If you are into tracking the car or showing the car as a custom or just like the look they are awesome and an affordable way to get a car that looks like the NA2 or enjoy the track experience. Just don't count on it holding its value the same as a well maintained originally equipped car.

How many times do we see a custom car on Barrett Jackson with 75+K in mods sell for significatly less than the investment in paint and parts. If you are the builder and you're not in it for the love of the build you will be disappointed with the sale results everytime. Unless of course you are George Barris or Chip Foose. IMO the average buyer will pay more for an original than a highly modded car. Even if the modded car is the better performer and has a great look. That's just my observation. My flame suit is on.

A little over a month ago, I was looking seriously at a few very nice 02 conversions that were tastfully modded and well built. But, when I saw an original 02 in a rare color, I was willing to pay a few extra K for the original as it will always hold it's value over the modded car if it is maintained properly. That said there is nothing wrong in owning a modded car as there are advantages to buying a quality build. For example, more HP, updated electonics, higher performance parts and what I call bling... wheels and body mods. And they are a blast to drive. But in the back of my mind is the question, was it modded to correct some issue in their history? It is rare that you will see the documentation that can prove that it hasn't. If you are into tracking the car or showing the car as a custom or just like the look they are awesome and an affordable way to get a car that looks like the NA2 or enjoy the track experience. Just don't count on it holding its value the same as a well maintained originally equipped car.

How many times do we see a custom car on Barrett Jackson with 75+K in mods sell for significatly less than the investment in paint and parts. If you are the builder and you're not in it for the love of the build you will be disappointed with the sale results everytime. Unless of course you are George Barris or Chip Foose. IMO the average buyer will pay more for an original than a highly modded car. Even if the modded car is the better performer and has a great look. That's just my observation. My flame suit is on.

Well said

IMO, all original no mod low mileage with documented service records should command premium dollars.

Exactly, those could be considered "custodian cars"; folks that own them as a custodian for the sake of preserving the vehicle with some enjoyable drives along the way
Well documented, well-kept, well-sorted, no bs, just preservation and appropriate maintenance... certainly not museum quality pieces which should command top dollar at the white glove level
I had the opportunity to own a museum quality 1991 and opted for a custodian 2000 with 16500 and I'm happy that I went that route... the value of my car has appreciated in the past two years
No complaints, being an NSX owner is great fun and I consider myself lucky regardless of the market value, every drive reminds me of it :cool:

Exactly, those could be considered "custodian cars"; folks that own them as a custodian for the sake of preserving the vehicle with some enjoyable drives along the way
Well documented, well-kept, well-sorted, no bs, just preservation and appropriate maintenance... certainly not museum quality pieces which should command top dollar at the white glove level
I had the opportunity to own a museum quality 1991 and opted for a custodian 2000 with 16500 and I'm happy that I went that route... the value of my car has appreciated in the past two years
No complaints, being an NSX owner is great fun and I consider myself lucky regardless of the market value, every drive reminds me of it :cool:

No doubt car holds top dollar If you own a low mileage garage queen w/full documentation since the day rolled off the showroom. One owner NSX is very hard to come by for sure. Is not like we can drive down the street and buy one! Out of all NSX offer for sale today, i am curious how many are the original owner...

That's crazy.... I really wonder if this was legitimate. I have a hard time believing this even though it would be nice. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I have another question... My entire car's history is documented here on prime with times and photos. Even any problems. So would that add any value to a potential buyer? 6+ years of posts, you could search anything under my name and see what the issue was, what the solution was, what it was and was not modded with and what went well and what didn't. It's all here.

let the games begin... let's see what people are willing to pay for this baddie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acur...4410985?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item5aef73f669

WOW....that's amazing....I've been to MARSHALL GOLDMAN...everything they have is in excellent condition. It seems they cater to the high end buyer who really isn't worried about paying a bit more for a pristine example but $90k....I'll sell my SIlverstone with all the mods and all the original parts TOMORROW for 90k! Any Offers????

Last edited:
Back