Infineon High Performance Driving School

OK fellas. I just wanted to chime in with my input. I put my name on the list because a few of my friends, which are novices, put their name on the list so I figured I would go out and have some fun with them since it will be their very first time on a track. I have taken my NSX to Thunderhill as well as Laguna Seca and have really enjoyed it, although I do need to work on the brakes.

I originally posted on this thread that I felt that Thunderhill would be a better place to learn for the 1st timers as well as the cost is quite a bit cheaper. I have always wanted to drive Infineon and after hearing what other drivers say about how technical the track is, I am sure this has a big influence on actual novice attendees. I still want to go to Infineon and that is why I am going on 6/5 with the Porsche Coastal Driving School for only $240.

Originally when I signed up, I had a feeling it was going to be in the high $2xx range but I didn't think it would end up at $335. Money is not the deciding factor for me but it is a big deciding factor for many. Actual track time is more important to me and with 4 run groups, time on the track is not as much as I would like. I will still go if a couple of my 1st time friends go. That is why I signed up in the first place. I think you guys know who you are :rolleyes:

We would be lucky to even get half of the people signed up to actual attend. I think the NSX community in large are enthusiasts that just want to get together and socialize but not necessarily risk the chance of damaging their car. That is what I noticed when I bring up driving events like track days, autocross or even 1/4 mile drags in the past. NSX's are made for the track and until you actually take it out on a track, you will never truely know what you and your NSX are capable of.

If you must have a decision from me right at this time, I will say no. I don't make any excuses. I will base my decision on 2 of my friends. If they go, I will go.

Thank you for your post and clarification. We hope that with this forum and similar exchanges you will have more than just 2 friends to draw you to events :wink: Having said this, it is best to make such disclosure beforehand so the organizers can have a better count as the date for the registration comes closer.

Perhaps a further clarification is needed regarding your comments on price comparisons. The PCA driving school events are great venues and great fun as I have attended one as an instructor. However, the one you mention is on a Monday. The 7/21 is on a Friday and in July. Events on weekends and in July cost more. That is a fact. Second, I am not sure of the number of paid drivers PCA has limited itself to. Most clubs (with similar programs/amenities) will seek about 90 paid drivers to break even at Infinieon at anything close to $300. TrackMasters is trying to keep it to 75 so we don't get bunched up on the track. The last time I saw an event at below $300 per day in Summer on a weekend was back in 2001.

But more importantly, given the number of novice commitments, Doug had to secure at least 25 instructors for the 1:1 ratio (other clubs have 1 instructor to 2 students, and PCA changes student/instructor pairings in the afternoon which I don't believe is helpful or productive to novice students). The count of 25 instructors is no small issue; it means Doug has to offer them track time whereas in most other track events put by TrackMasters (and others) the need for instructors is less. More instructors = less paying drivers yet the costs associated with the track are the same. To help defry potential losses should all novices show up as promised given our club members' interest, we secured generous financial sponsorship from Marin Acura and Niello Acura. With and after such funding, Doug was able to break even at $335. Additionally the NSXCA is tossing in $25. At $310 with at least 2 hours of track time, this is a bargain given the program offered by TrackMasters as well as all the socializing and candy for your eyes.

Litespeeds said:
I originally posted on this thread that I felt that Thunderhill would be a better place to learn for the 1st timers as well as the cost is quite a bit cheaper. I have always wanted to drive Infineon and after hearing what other drivers say about how technical the track is, I am sure this has a big influence on actual novice attendees. I still want to go to Infineon and that is why I am going on 6/5 with the Porsche Coastal Driving School for only $240.

Originally when I signed up, I had a feeling it was going to be in the high $2xx range but I didn't think it would end up at $335. Money is not the deciding factor for me but it is a big deciding factor for many. Actual track time is more important to me and with 4 run groups, time on the track is not as much as I would like. I will still go if a couple of my 1st time friends go. That is why I signed up in the first place. I think you guys know who you are :rolleyes:

For what is worth.

$335 for Infineon is really good as far as price goes, the entire point of this event was for people to be on the track with other NSX owners and enjoy their company as well as being able to hang around and get to interact with like minded people that own similar cars.

If you want to learn the proper lines at Infineon following a Porsche good luck with that and have fun.

If you have any amount of experience on the track, you will learn a lot more by riding along with someone like Andrie, Kip or any of the other experienced drivers.

Yes Infineon is techincal and that is what it makes it fun. Is it dangerous? yes, just like any other track you have to respect the track and be aware of your own abilities as a driver. I've seen newbies go off at Thunderhill simply because they think that there is a lot of room to go off and they don't respect the track or have bad driving habits.

I've run with most groups in NorCal and many in SoCal and can say that events run by TrackMasters are pretty good and safe.

Some folks want to go for cheap and lots of tracktime, that is ok if you have a lot of experience but for novices it's better to stay with an organization that has a good program for newbies.

And even better when you have instructors that actually drive NSXs or are very familiar with the car.

Ken

What makes a track dangerous? Short and simple the driver. YOU.
If you drive beyond your ability than incidents can happen.

As a novice driver you will have an experienced instructor with you.
They will focus on what you need to learn, everyone is different.
They will cater to your needs. If you listen to your instructor they
will keep you driving within your ability. You will have a blast.
Best of all… At this event your instructor most likely drive an NSX.
Some are nicely modified.
As an Instructor I take my student out in my sessions as well.

Sears point was my first track. I had my car for 3 years before giving it a try.
My only regret, I waited 3 years. I should have gone sooner.

Sears point is fun. A stock NSX dose well at sears point.

You Go Ken and Don your posts say it all, see you guys at Thunderhill this Friday if your going (oh yea Trackmasters is at Thunderhill this friday some NSXers should see if there's room for your first event)

Steve

Re: Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's be too careful out there

Yes Infineon is techincal and that is what it makes it fun. Is it dangerous? yes, just like any other track.......
Ah, yes, back in the day..............2003, :rolleyes: I think it was..............yeah those wild eyed youngsters had the whole goll-darned NSXPO there. Whodathunkit? :confused: Boy, that was before they all grew up, :cool: got respectable and voted Dubya in for a 2nd term. Dang, they don't make em like that anymore. Yeah, maybe they're better off at the indoor karting rink. :tongue:

Guy, I think you got your point across, can we tone it down a bit before all of the new comers are scared off by a bunch of crotchety old men :rolleyes:

That said, Hrant is right, if this is going to be an NSX Driving School geared towards safely showing new NSX owners how to get the most out of their car and be safer road driver as well, then we need people to get signed up by the end of next week. After that TrackMasters will fill the slots reserved for NSX's with his regular clientele who see this as a low cost track event at Infineon in July.

Don't let this opportunity pass you by, we can not guarantee when we will be able to pull this off again.

Tom

It was brought to our attention that perhaps we may not have made it crystal clear regarding the process involved in "registering" for this event for all the newcomers to tracking their cars.

It is NOT sufficient to just list your interest in this forum and assume that everything will be taken care of for you at the track if and when should you decide to attend! The list above was supposed to reflect those who are making a serious commitment to attend so we can gauge how to structure the program, the logistics, etc.

Each one who is still planning to attend this HPDE needs to go to TrackMaster's website and register - as in SIGN UP- with payment, download the Tech form which must be completed prior to attending the track event, read the materials (waivers, track layout, etc......). The webpage is here: http://www.trackmasters-racing.com/html/abouteventssp7-21-06.html

The NSX numbers are still quite low and we may have lost an opportunity to make this the grand NSX track event of the year in NorCal. For years we had heard that driving to THill was too much of a commitment and commute to many of you in the south Bay, that THill was getting to be boring, etc. Well, we listened and now have offered Infineon on a Friday in summer at great pricing. And if the pricing is still a purported shocker, just think of the extra 150 miles you would have driven to get to/from THill - that is yet an additional $25 savings in gas right there - not to mention the wear on R compounds!

But more seriously, as NorCal NSX community, we may have lost the credibility that your club officers have worked so hard to establish with track organizers over the years. And the irony for this event is that Doug likes NSXs (he was in the market a few years ago); and if you scroll down on his home page, the only picture he has posted is a red NSX-T.

Novice

1) smooth (Tariq)
2) LitoG (check sent+joined Track master)
3) 02#154 (check sent+joined Track master)
4) Norcalwhite
5) EK
6) Binh (check sent+joined Track master)

Intermediate

1) Allen Shim
2) RichA
3) Racer NSX

Advanced

1) SFNSXguy
2) LIKE007
3) Kip Olson
4) 2slow2speed
5) Mark/Trevor A

Novice

1) smooth (Tariq)
4) Norcalwhite
5) EK
7) NSX-Tuner (check sent+joined Track master)

Intermediate

1) Allen Shim
2) RichA
3) Racer NSX

Advanced

1) SFNSXguy
2) LIKE007
3) Kip Olson
4) 2slow2speed
5) Mark/Trevor A

Novice
1) smooth (Tariq)
4) Norcalwhite
5) EK

Intermediate
1) Allen Shim
2) RichA
3) Racer NSX

Advanced
1) SFNSXguy
2) LIKE007
3) Kip Olson
4) 2slow2speed
5) Mark/Trevor A

And no pressure right ......... :confused: :wink:
1.) tk - Intermediate
2.) yaynsx- Novice
3.) L5-S1NSX
4.) Dan H. - Novice

9.) RavnNSX - Novice
10) RonNRaiders - Novice
11) bnesse - Novice
12) Daves_X

14) DonD - Intermediate

17) DonH (from lists) - Novice
18) Butts - Advanced - schedule conflict looming

20) NSFRBLX - Novice

22) spartan2-3: Novice (work pending)

24) juejaimon - Novice

27) NChhotu - Novice
28) KIngels - Advanced
29) MRamsey -1 - Novice
30) MRasmey -2 - Novice
31) Ashik-Novice

33) randomharmony - Novice
34) white93nsx - Advanced
35) fredc - novice
36) BarryL -1 - Intermediate
37) BarryL -2 - Novice
38) Litespeeds - Intermediate
39) 03 raw nsx - Novice

41) NSXGOD (pending SC kit) - Advanced
42) Alex Vizcarra (interested) - Advanced
43) Greg Hardee (pending mechanical) - Advanced
44) Kenji (pending good smack talk) - Advanced
45) David B - Novice?

47) Tony A

Novice
1) smooth (Tariq)
4) Norcalwhite
5) EK
8) bnesse (waiting TM membership ack)

Intermediate
1) Allen Shim
2) RichA
3) Racer NSX
4) DonD - (money sent)

Advanced
1) SFNSXguy
2) LIKE007
3) Kip Olson
4) 2slow2speed
5) Mark/Trevor A

Spectating (chickens):mad:
1.) tk - wife said 'no' :frown:
2.) Ashik

Hoping to Instruct
1.) KenjiMR

2.) yaynsx- Novice
3.) L5-S1NSX
4.) Dan H. - Novice

9.) RavnNSX - Novice
10) RonNRaiders - Novice

12) Daves_X

20) NSFRBLX - Novice

24) juejaimon - Novice

27) NChhotu - Novice
28) KIngels - Advanced
29) MRamsey -1 - Novice
30) MRasmey -2 - Novice

35) fredc - novice
37) BarryL -2 - Novice
39) 03 raw nsx - Novice (issues with start time)

45) David B - Novice?

47) Tony A

Novice
1) smooth (Tariq)
4) Norcalwhite
5) EK

Intermediate
1) Allen Shim
2) RichA
3) Racer NSX
4) DonD - (money sent)

Advanced
1) SFNSXguy
2) LIKE007
3) Kip Olson
4) 2slow2speed
5) Mark/Trevor A

Spectating (chickens)
1.) tk - wife said 'no'
2.) Ashik

Hoping to Instruct
1.) KenjiMR
2.) titaniumdave
And no pressure right .........

2.) yaynsx- Novice
3.) L5-S1NSX
4.) Dan H. - Novice

9.) RavnNSX - Novice
10) RonNRaiders - Novice

12) Daves_X

20) NSFRBLX - Novice

24) juejaimon - Novice

27) NChhotu - Novice
28) KIngels - Advanced
29) MRamsey -1 - Novice
30) MRasmey -2 - Novice

35) fredc - novice
37) BarryL -2 - Novice

45) David B - Novice?

47) Tony A

Novice
1) smooth (Tariq)
4) Norcalwhite
5) EK

Intermediate
1) Allen Shim
2) RichA
3) Racer NSX
4) DonD - (money sent)

Advanced
1) SFNSXguy
2) LIKE007
3) Kip Olson
4) 2slow2speed
5) Mark/Trevor A

Spectating (chickens):mad:
1.) tk - wife said 'no money' :frown:
2.) Ashik

Hoping to Instruct
1.) KenjiMR
2.) titaniumdave

2.) yaynsx- Novice
3.) L5-S1NSX
4.) Dan H. - Novice

9.) RavnNSX - Novice
10) RonNRaiders - Novice

12) Daves_X

20) NSFRBLX - Novice

24) juejaimon - Novice

27) NChhotu - Novice
28) KIngels - Advanced
29) MRamsey -1 - Novice
30) MRasmey -2 - Novice

35) fredc - novice
37) BarryL -2 - Novice

45) David B - Novice?

47) Tony A

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a good auto racing helmet distributor in the BA (preferably in SJ-Fremont area)? I'd like to pick up a helmet for this event.

thx...

As of this morning, 23 NSX drivers have registered - not including NSX instructors. Given the 47 "serious commitments" that were made by those who said they would attend such an event, this is disappointing especially since 66 of the 81 slots are already filled - which means a track event which was initially marketed and promoted as mostly an NSX track day now has more non-NSX cars :eek: :redface:

Only a handful of the 47 gave courtesy notice of their conditional status; and those were identified on the lists above. What about the rest of you who made the commitment? What did we miss to get only a 50% response :confused: In our previous track events, with 47 commitments we would have easily hit 35+ drivers and had a social dinner the night before with raffles and great goodies from our sponosrs :wink:

According to Doug, this lends to the standard structure of having Advanced, High Intermediate, Low Intermediate, and Novice run groups.

I just got confirmation from TMR that I'm on the official roster. :cool:

This event is now almost sold out. So if you haven't registered yet, do so now... PLEASE!!! :D

Trying to get prepared for the event and checked out the TrackMasters site for the tech inspection requirements. Two things I found there raised some questions in my head. Will the following really be enforced?

Cooling system topped off with Water and/or Water Wetter. No Anti-freeze please.

Place convertible tops in the down position, roll down all windows, and remove ‘Targa’ or ‘T-Tops’

J

Cooling system topped off with Water and/or Water Wetter. No Anti-freeze please.

Place convertible tops in the down position, roll down all windows, and remove ‘Targa’ or ‘T-Tops’

J[/QUOTE]

If you check the tech summary form that you turn in they don't mention ether. I hadn't seen this before.

I use coolant in my radiator. I have replaced the hoses and look it over
prior to any event.. I have always run with my targa top on.
I have a roll bar and could run without the top but more drag. Actually I have never seen an topless nsx on the track... ;)

I think you are ok.

Later,
Don

nsxnut said:
If you check the tech summary form that you turn in they don't mention ether. I hadn't seen this before.

I use coolant in my radiator. I have replaced the hoses and look it over
prior to any event.. I have always run with my targa top on.
I have a roll bar and could run without the top but more drag. Actually I have never seen an topless nsx on the track... ;)

I think you are ok.

Later,
Don

I figured as much, but when I saw the "short form" that you turn in, it referred to the more detailed list elsewhere on the site, which is where I quoted from. Thanks for the reply. I just didn't want to show up and get turned away for something like that since I've never had to "pass" inspection for a TrackMaster event.

J

Hrant said:
You should be fine, and run with the T-top on as it gives you more rigidity.

I don't think so... Less wind resistance yes. rigidity, not at all.
You want ridged... You are welcome to come over and use my tig welder, we can convert it into a coup.

I have the comptech roll bar. That helps. Best would be a full cage.

Later,
Don

Back