Help me decide; Trade my 94 RX7 for NSX?

I dun recall u. Remind me.

And ithere might be a handful of people that is as smart as jimlab on this forum.

U'll be disappointed if u ask about advance mods like compression ratios, A/F ratios, ceramic coating, extrude honing, etc.

Eric Cheatham :eek:

I like both and having now had both I can tell you my point of view. The Rx7 although rare isn't as rare as the nsx. To me with the way my rx7 was set up it handled about the same as my current nsx. I love the turbos that the car has stock, very little modding to do to increase the boost and stuff. The reliability cant be compared to the nsx. As we have seen one hit what, almost 400k miles. A rotary is good boosted to around 80k, 100k ish. The NSX does lack in power in my op for the price, thats why i plan to turbo eventually. It seems you are in the same boat my bro was in. Felt he was outgrowing the supercharged s2k he had and wanted a more prestigious car so bought an m3. Parts will run you more for the NSX, but overall the car is a show stopper. If you are looking for a more exotic super car that can hold its own in most situations, the NSX is the one. If on the other hand your still thinking of boosting a car to the limit and tracking it like no other then i would keep the rx7. Either way I love both cars and miss my old fd. The NSX is japans super car and I love having a car that holds that title.

Thanks for the reply. I'm honest enough with myself to know someone will always be faster and I'm content with that. As I get older, I'm more interested in comfort/style.

What I've really wanted, is a 348. They can be bought semi-cheap but maintenance would surely get me divorced. I think the NSX can get me the exotic feel without the headaches of a Ferrari.

.....The Rx7 although rare isn't as rare as the nsx. To me with the way my rx7 was set up it handled about the same as my current nsx........

I think the FD (at least around the SF Bay Area) is more rare than the NSX. At least a running and well cared for FD.

.....As I get older, I'm more interested in comfort/style.....

I hear you on this.

But dam, until I get the new SOS Supercharger on the NSX (hopefully in the next few weeks), I'll continue to miss the feeling of 430rwhp and a flat power band at 2700lbs~

Yeah, been a long time. Good to see some familiar faces. So, are you happy that you made the switch?

What's jeffshoots name on here?

Wassup!

Yea. Long time no chat.

Jeffshoots is on here too. He got a NSX before I did.

I think his NSX engine had a FD "moment".

Here are pics of my NSX:

http://picasaweb.google.com/alaintsai/NSX?feat=directlink

I've done some other cosmetic upgrades to it since these pics that I'll post up later.

Yeah, been a long time. Good to see some familiar faces. So, are you happy that you made the switch?

What's jeffshoots name on here?

jeffshoots still uses the same name.

Forward visibility of the NSX is the best in any car I have been in.

Rear is a little better in the FD.

The FD does have larger side mirrors - more side visibility.

On the freeway the NSX gets close to 30mpg.

Fit and finish is better in the NSX.

Both cars gets equal looks since they have that murdered out black look.

FD steering is superior. The only car that steered better than a FD was a RX8. But that was very slight.

Mods for NSX are expensive, but VERY high quality for the most part.

FD braking is better.

FD feels evenly balanced and if the rear were to snap lose, u can recover more easily. The NSX is a rear mid engine car, but one of the most easy to drive to the limit. It's a good car to start if ur headed towards the ferrari/lambo direction.

ergonomics are different and both are good.

Ask away.

Had 4 different FC before. 2 of them Turbo (1 T2, 1 CarTech) & 1 convertible. didnt own a FD but I understand your quest for HP in a rotary engine. Its the rotary culture to get as much HP as you can before blowing up your motor.

NSX is a whole different animal. I find that NSX get so much attention and respect from other modified jdm and sports cars drivers, I get nods and thumbs up all the time and they dont provoke you to race Althought is not a really fast car it is fast enough. You may actually want to drive a NSX slowly in a lot of situation.

In My Opinion Top JDM car obtainable ones are
GT-R (too expensive)
Supra TT (too hard to find)
NSX (I have one)
then maybe RX7 (do I have a good rotary mechanic and spare motors?)

Actually now a days If Im not looking at M cars or AMGs, I may look at Lancer EVo and WRX before RX7 because of the reliability. But Im over 40 yrs olds now dont do heavy wrenching anymore.

All I have to say is that someone should probably troll up an "NSX vs GTO" thread for the BATMAN reaction lol. :biggrin:

That way we won't hear the same old spiel over and over again when an FD is mentioned. Ya know, the whole "you'll be in my rearview....430rwhp....it's dead reliable" spiel. :biggrin::tongue:

But back on topic, I'd definitely get the NSX. I would like an FD at some point as well, but I'd prefer to keep it mostly OEM. The NSX is a dream to own.

Your choice!

Had 4 different FC before. 2 of them Turbo (1 T2, 1 CarTech) & 1 convertible. didnt own a FD but I understand your quest for HP in a rotary engine. Its the rotary culture to get as much HP as you can before blowing up your motor.

NSX is a whole different animal. I find that NSX get so much attention and respect from other modified jdm and sports cars drivers, I get nods and thumbs up all the time and they dont provoke you to race Althought is not a really fast car it is fast enough. You may actually want to drive a NSX slowly in a lot of situation.

GT-R (too expensive)
NSX (I have one)

Actually now a days If Im not looking at M cars or AMGs, I may look at Lancer EVo and WRX before RX7 because of the reliability. But Im over 40 yrs olds now dont do heavy wrenching anymore.

Really? I always thought the NSX’s were at the top of the list. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
All of my friends have had Supra’s so those look very plain to me. I’ve also had a lot of friends that have had FD’s so those are a dime a dozen to me as well. <o:p></o:p>
I’ve had a lot of HP before but it seems a lot of baggage comes with that. Whether it be parts breaking or the stress of always trying to be the fastest. <o:p></o:p>
In my area, I’ve only seen 2-3 NSX’s in 10 years. To me, the NSX just looks way more exotic that any other Japanese car. I dunno.<o:p></o:p>

GT-R (too expensive)
NSX (I have one)

I get more people that want to race a NSX (since they know it's HP limits) than ones that want to race a FD.

Maybe they just notice you more in the NSX? I know i've missed a good FD once in a while only to notice them too late in the corner of my eye (and I love FDs)

that might be it, but this one time some late '80's - early '90's 5.0 Mustang saw me and wanted to race.

He gave his thumbs down and was mouthing, "I'll smoke you so bad" more than once.

About 5 times he demonstrated just how hard his Stang can pull. If I were to have raced him he would have had me by a bus length or 2.

I suspect that he was supercharged.

You've got some intensely bad luck... It's literally mustang alley where I am in PA. I see mustangs all day long in my area that dominate the drag strip with effortless 9 second runs. The owners are really car guys and not bitches givings thumbs downs and mouthing shit like a jackoff. I get nothing but thumbs ups and genuine interest and discussion from these guys. Their cars can shred nearly any car on a strip and do it without melting down an expensive import engine, yet that never comes up at all. Matter of fact, the times ive brought up quarter mile performance in a self deprecating way I've had these guys say that anyone running an nsx down a strip is missing the point. All this from diehard flag waving, gun toting, blue collar hardcore domestics fans.

I got far more negative attention in my vette than I've ever gotten in an nsx

Last edited:
You've got some intensely bad luck... It's literally mustang alley where I am in PA. I see mustangs all day long in my area that dominate the drag strip with effortless 9 second runs. The owners are really car guys and not bitches givings thumbs downs and mouthing shit like a jackoff. I get nothing but thumbs ups and genuine interest and discussion from these guys. Their cars can shred nearly any car on a strip and do it without melting down an expensive import engine, yet that never comes up at all. Matter of fact, the times ive brought up quarter mile performance in a self deprecating way I've had these guys say that anyone running an nsx down a strip is missing the point. All this from diehard flag waving, gun toting, blue collar hardcore domestics fans.

I got far more negative attention in my vette than I've ever gotten in an nsx

Amen brother! Me too!

I have owned 4 FDs. Every time I sold it, I had to go out and get another one. I just love the way the car looks. I would keep it and buy a NSX if thats a choice.

I hear you on this.

But dam, until I get the new SOS Supercharger on the NSX (hopefully in the next few weeks), I'll continue to miss the feeling of 430rwhp and a flat power band at 2700lbs~

Have you seen the nsx twin turbo kit from sos. A hell of a price tag but being able to live in cali and pass smog would be super easy with that kit. Hopefully the price will go down in a few years when i can afford it ;)

I have owned 4 FDs. Every time I sold it, I had to go out and get another one. I just love the way the car looks. I would keep it and buy a NSX if thats a choice.

I can only have one toy.

Have you seen the nsx twin turbo kit from sos. A hell of a price tag but being able to live in cali and pass smog would be super easy with that kit. Hopefully the price will go down in a few years when i can afford it ;)

I've seen it, but it won't pass the visual inspection - no CARB EO#.

Although the SOS Supercharger doesn't have the CARB EO#, it can be easily duplicated with matching it to the CTSC's CARB EO#.

No smog shop will pull out a measuring tape to see that the SOS blower is larger than the CTSC.

Have you considered an LSx swap for your FD?
I don't own an FD or an NSX, but I love them both. I currently own a TT Supra, but would love to add an NSX and FD to the stable at some point in the future.

I feel that the FD is one of the most beautiful Japanese cars, second only to the NSX, IMO.

With an LSx, your fuel economy and reliability issues will be solved.

Have you considered an LSx swap for your FD?
I don't own an FD or an NSX, but I love them both. I currently own a TT Supra, but would love to add an NSX and FD to the stable at some point in the future.

I feel that the FD is one of the most beautiful Japanese cars, second only to the NSX, IMO.

With an LSx, your fuel economy and reliability issues will be solved.

Yes, I thought about it. But, that's as far as I went. I guess you could call me a purist...:redface: . I've spent 13 years in a FD, For me, it's time to move on.

Now, I just need to find a buyer for mine. Hopefully soon, there is a NSX on here for sale that I'd like to jump on ! :eek:

Why you guys call it "FD" so much? why not RX-7? ... we don't say, "my C30 this" my "C32 that" ... lol ...

awww :frown:

The reason why I can my RX7 "FD" is because when you tell people that you have a RX7, they ask what gen? So if you go straight to "FD" you can skip that step :p

I say FD, because I want people to know I have the only cool generation RX7.

Just like the Supra, the only REAL Supra is the MKIV. :biggrin:

Why you guys call it "FD" so much? why not RX-7? ... we don't say, "my C30 this" my "C32 that" ... lol ...

yup, you bypass the whole FB, FC and FD. Fb being first gen all the day to the Fd being the 3rd gen.

Back