Gran Turismo 5 Prologue in 2007

http://www.japanvideogames.com/product_p/ps3j-gt5p.htm

OK so whats the difference between this ^ and the one that we'd get in the states?

They haven't done a great job at marketing this whole thing - its too damn confusing! First you have the pre-pre-demo now its just the pre-demo and then the demo? When are we getting the FULL Game? And is it still going to be called "Prologue"!? im tired of waiting for this :(

And I dont want to spend $45 on a demo either.....

http://www.japanvideogames.com/product_p/ps3j-gt5p.htm

OK so whats the difference between this ^ and the one that we'd get in the states?

Dunno about the demos and prologues, but the final versions of GT will most likely have different licensed and usually forgettable music. Any fans of the Japanese originals will know what I mean when I say "Moon Over the Castle" (aka *THE* Gran Turismo Theme Song) I hope that GT5 continues the tradition.

Dunno about the demos and prologues, but the final versions of GT will most likely have different licensed and usually forgettable music. Any fans of the Japanese originals will know what I mean when I say "Moon Over the Castle" (aka *THE* Gran Turismo Theme Song) I hope that GT5 continues the tradition.

Actually the music is pretty good... for the pre-release demo I have installed on my ps3... only 4 cars to drive tho :(

GT5 looks impressive. I have been waiting about a year for it. I kept waiting, waiting and got sick of it.

Bought a Xbox 360 and FM2 - I love it. It may not be as good as GT5 but atleast I can play it today.:rolleyes:

OK so whats the difference between this ^ and the one that we'd get in the states?.

I thought I did a fairly good job explaining this in several of my above posts, but for simplicity's sake, here we go again.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (available now in Japan, no official date but expected elsewhere this spring) is a sampler of things-to-come in Gran Turismo 5. Prologue is more than a typical demo because it features online multiplayer events including up to 16 player races and time trials with leaderboards, but it only scratches the surface of what Polyphony plans to include in the full game's eventual release. There is even a free demo of Prologue that anyone can download via a Japanese account with the PlayStation Network Store. Prologue's demo is NOT to be confused with GT:HD, a demo that came out on Christmas Day, 2006.

Gran Turismo 5 is expected to come out this winter in Japan...if we're lucky, a simultaneous worldwide release.

Polyphony has gotten pretty bad about releasing games when people expect or want them (note that they rarely give official release dates)...but they also have huge expectations to fulfill. I am glad they got Prologue out there online enabled...hopefully they'll use this opportunity to learn from their present mistakes and really bang out an impressive multiplayer racing game.

And note that there was a Gran Turismo 4: Prologue available in Japan before Gran Turismo 4 came out.

I thought I did a fairly good job explaining this in several of my above posts, but for simplicity's sake, here we go again.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (available now in Japan, no official date but expected elsewhere this spring) is a sampler of things-to-come in Gran Turismo 5. Prologue is more than a typical demo because it features online multiplayer events including up to 16 player races and time trials with leaderboards, but it only scratches the surface of what Polyphony plans to include in the full game's eventual release. There is even a free demo of Prologue that anyone can download via a Japanese account with the PlayStation Network Store. Prologue's demo is NOT to be confused with GT:HD, a demo that came out on Christmas Day, 2006.

Gran Turismo 5 is expected to come out this winter in Japan...if we're lucky, a simultaneous worldwide release.

Polyphony has gotten pretty bad about releasing games when people expect or want them (note that they rarely give official release dates)...but they also have huge expectations to fulfill. I am glad they got Prologue out there online enabled...hopefully they'll use this opportunity to learn from their present mistakes and really bang out an impressive multiplayer racing game.

And note that there was a Gran Turismo 4: Prologue available in Japan before Gran Turismo 4 came out.
Is it still available? I read that the free download was only for a week or two and ended early january.

Their is a GT5 prologue you can buy for $40ish US (forgot how many yen) but their is nothing currently for free to download off of the japanese playstation store.

I already made my japanese account and couldn't find anything other than a $40 GT5 Prologue...

Any advice/update :confused:

Their is a GT5 prologue you can buy for $40ish US (forgot how many yen) but their is nothing currently for free to download off of the japanese playstation store.

I forgot that the free demo of Prologue was only available for a limited time...my bad!

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue in 2007 (U.S. Official Details)

It’s official - SCEA announced today the April 17 North American ship date for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, available exclusively for PS3. Developed by famed Polyphony Digital, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will be available for $39.99 on Blu-ray Disc (BD) and as a download via the PLAYSTATION Store.

The BD version will offer added value with an exclusive behind-the-scenes High Definition (HD) video feature called “Beyond the Apex”. This video will offer some awesome access to the folks at Polyphony and give some background on how they are able to create such a realistic and beautiful driving simulator. We’ll have more information on GT5 Prologue leading up to its launch in April

Source: PlayStation Blog

Official press release:

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Jan. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA) announced today the April 17 North American ship date for Gran Turismo(TM)5 Prologue, available exclusively on PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)). Developed by Polyphony Digital Inc., Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will be available for $39.99 SRP on Blu-ray Disc(TM) (BD) and as a download via PLAYSTATION(R)Store. The BD version will offer added value with an exclusive behind-the-scenes High Definition (HD) video feature called "Beyond the Apex."

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, an intense precursor to Gran Turismo(TM)5, features over 60 meticulously detailed vehicles from manufacturers such as Ferrari, Audi and Nissan. Users will experience the vehicle-specific physics technology and intricate graphical rendering that Polyphony Digital is renowned for. Additionally, for the first time in the history of the franchise, users can race online -- at 60 fps (frames per second) in stunning 1080p HD* -- with up to 16 vehicles at a time on beautifully rendered tracks from around the globe, including Daytona International Speedway(R) and a London City track.

"Ten years following the introduction of Gran Turismo(TM) on PS one(R), Gran Turismo 5 Prologue delivers the most realistic and technologically advanced racing experience on any platform," said Jeff Reese, director, software marketing, SCEA. "With 1080p graphics, revolutionary online features like Gran Turismo(TM) TV and the new in-cockpit racing view, the world's best-selling racing franchise will once again set the standard for racing games."

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will feature various innovative and revolutionary modes to harness PS3 system's capabilities while further developing an automotive lifestyle and global community. Among them is Gran Turismo(TM)TV, a new dedicated online channel available exclusively from PLAYSTATION(R)Network that delivers worldwide motorsport programming and manufacturer content. Additionally, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will support online racing events to foster community competition. A new in-cockpit view will provide a unique perspective for racers and features real-time gauges and human animations that accurately represent the true performance and handling of each vehicle. To extend the realistic driving experience, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is also compatible with the new DUALSHOCK(R)3 controller, which has vibration functionality.

Does this cockpit look familiar?

Last edited:
Re: Gran Turismo 5 Prologue in 2007 (U.S. Official Details)

Pretty cool, looking forward to this release but was hoping it would come out in March like the rumors say. Oh well, now they just need to announce the release date of the full game and I'll start counting down for real!

thumb800x800_2227976107_bc7b2bee6c_o.jpg

thumb800x800_2228760542_ddcdbaf3ce_o.jpg

thumb800x800_2228760428_f52f3ab2c2_o.jpg

thumb800x800_2227975993_a840649370_o.jpg

*droool* ... :biggrin:

GT5 Car of the Day - 1991 Acura NSX
Lightweight and quick.
by Chris Roper

January 29, 2008 - When it comes to racing games, the cars are the star of the show. This is no more true than with the Gran Turismo franchise. Polyphony Digital's adherence to realism is unparalleled, giving you the closest thing to sitting behind the wheel of the real cars this side of a test drive.

To give you a taste of what'll be in the full Gran Turismo 5 release, we're going to run through the vehicles of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Every day we'll have a new car for you to drool over, complete with an in-car shot and a snippet of a race replay so that you can see it in action.

Today's car is the 1991 Acura NSX. Have a look.

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=949777&downloadURL=http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/848/848311/gt-cotd_acuransx-91_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

Source: IGN

Those pictures are gorgeous. I know the correct way to play the game is with a wheel but I've been using a controller the whole time. I've been saving up for the big and bad logitech G25 because it uses a clutch and H-pattern shifter and it's even compatible with GT5P! It's I get the G25 later, probably with the game or get a DFP2 now, but I'm a pretty patient person...kinda.:biggrin:

Here's a couple of vids showing how the G25 works with GT5P:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMIOjnL0E9Y&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMIOjnL0E9Y&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6g2YS5jA4m8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6g2YS5jA4m8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Those pictures are gorgeous. I know the correct way to play the game is with a wheel but I've been using a controller the whole time. I've been saving up for the big and bad logitech G25 because it uses a clutch and H-pattern shifter and it's even compatible with GT5P! It's I get the G25 later, probably with the game or get a DFP2 now, but I'm a pretty patient person...kinda.:biggrin:

oh i want that set up now!!! where did you get the chair etc that it went on?

Here's a couple of vids showing how the G25 works with GT5P:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMIOjnL0E9Y&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMIOjnL0E9Y&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6g2YS5jA4m8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6g2YS5jA4m8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

sick!!! i want one haha

That's what I thought...:frown:

So when does it come out in stored? (sorry i'm sure it was mentioned before...)

Well hopefully this April..... but I'll believe it when I see it..

I went ahead and bought the GT5 Prologue DVD...... I hope its the bluray version though! We'll see.....

EDIT - yep its the BluRay version cant wait!

Last edited:
oh i want that set up now!!! where did you get the chair etc that it went on?

It is not my setup, although I definitely wish it was! I know that Playseats make simulation cockpits for sale but I'm sure they're not cheap and I don't know if they'll have a(n) extra stand for the shifter.

Well hopefully this April..... but I'll believe it when I see it..

I went ahead and bought the GT5 Prologue DVD...... I hope its the bluray version though! We'll see.....

EDIT - yep its the BluRay version cant wait!

Man you're lucky! Definitely give us a review when you get it yes?

Man you're lucky! Definitely give us a review when you get it yes?

Well I found the game sitting outside my door when I got home from work...

unwrapped it... then loaded it up.... of course its all in japanese so I can't read a damn word of it but I dont care! lol

so after hitting OK like 3 times and then it loads something (it took about 5-8 minutes to load?) Not sure what it was doing. It wasn't downloading anything b/c I didn't see any network activity... but anyways. You start out with 3,500,000 credits (The 91 NSX is 8,000,000 credits / Ferrari F430 is 23,000,000 / Ferrari 599 is 26,000,000 / GTR is about 6,000,000) anyways you get the picture...

Clicking on "GT TV" you have to download what I'm guessing is an update which took about 30 minutes.... I'm also guessing its downloading it from japan... this is probably why it took so long. And then all I saw were 4 videos which have already been released! So I've already seen all those.... Going to the dealership, I got an ITR which is good to win some races and start building up your bank acct.

The only races I've been able to do so far are the Sunday Cup which give 500,000 - 750,000 credits if you place 1st... you can repeat these races as many times as you like (2 laps each) and build up some $$$...

There are 5 different tracks to race on -

Daytona SuperSpeedway
Fuji SpeedWay F
Eiger Nordwand
Suzuka Circuit (Which I got tired of running in the demo)
And London! Which is gorgeous by the way... one of my favs...

In the dealership you get to choose from a wide range of cars:

Acura, Audi, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, BMW, Honda, Ferrari, Daihatsu, Alfa Romeo, Lexus, Mazda, Lancia, Mitsubishi, Merc-Benz, Lotus, Nissan, Subaru, TVR, VW, Suzuki and Renault...

In each group there are only 1-2 cars per manufacturer... which is plenty of cars to keep you entertained...

The online portion seems to need a little work. It takes forever to find a match... and there are far too many class restrictions.....

anyways so far I enjoy it... the cars look amazing and the tracks as well....

One note about the NSX. I think Akira3d may have mentioned this as well but its worth mentioning...

There is absolutely NO bottom end!!! This really bugs me.... I know the power band is above 4500 RPM but damn..... taking off is just very sluggish. I hope they fix this in the final release! I hope they are reading this as well.

Anyways back to the game! Gonna be up late racing! Now I need a G25! LoL

Re: Gran Turismo 5 Prologue in 2007 (U.S. Official Details)

...Jan. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA) announced today the April 17 North American ship date...

I really hope they don't slip this date...it is not often I quote myself and make the text this big in a post on Prime. :D

I forgot to mention one major missing component that was in some of the older versions of Gran Tourismo...... the feature where you get to tweak the cars suspension, add performance upgrades, lower the car, tweak the downforce of the spoilers....... I can't believe they have left this out...

Akira3d, can you call up Mr Sony and tell him to fix it? :)

he feature where you get to tweak the cars suspension, add performance upgrades, lower the car, tweak the downforce of the spoilers....... I can't believe they have left this out...

Remember, GT5: Prologue is not the full game (GT4: Prologue also provided no facility for tweaking car performance...heck, you could not even BUY cars).

If all of the features were included, who would buy the full game?

Remember, GT5: Prologue is not the full game (GT4: Prologue also provided no facility for tweaking car performance...heck, you could not even BUY cars).

so in the full version are we going to be able to upgrade parts and tweak the car?

But it does include multi player support right? If so I'll see you folks on the virtual tracks hehe! :biggrin:

Back