Gran Turismo 5 Prologue in 2007

Glad to help.

BTW, I tried Professional mode...much harder with the sticks, but I suspect it will feel more right when playing with the wheel and pedals. It's not as forgiving if you lift in a turn (with the sticks, I sometimes modulate acceleration as if I'm tapping the buttons on the controller...can't get away with this during turns in Professional mode).

I also did a simple test to see if the AI has improved. I slammed the brakes and came to a stop in the middle of traffic. The first couple of cars slowed and went around me, but the next one just slammed into me full speed. I guess some things haven't changed...but this is, after all, a demo of a demo.

Just noticed that GTTV only offers play, pause, and stop options. Again, I'm assuming this is a limitation of the demo.

Last edited:
Is there any way to unlock the NSX in the demo? I earned first place and nothing happened. If not, hopefully they will add the car later to be playable in this demo.

WOW!!
I havent played video games in over 5 years since I gave it up, all I have is GT3 and some GTA games, looks like Ill go fullout with 70" screen, new PS3, and sterring wheel set up for this game!!!

any word if Lambos will be in it??
how about real vehicle damage??

Im so excited to drive Ferraris now :)

Is there any way to unlock the NSX in the demo? I earned first place and nothing happened. If not, hopefully they will add the car later to be playable in this demo.

Nope...this demo only includes a few drivable cars all of which are currently unlocked (no reward for first place finishes, no NSX). The '91 Acura NSX has been confirmed as playable in the full release of Prologue...coming to PSN Japan in December.

so far it feels exactly like GT4!

Not exactly...the physics model has definitely changed since GT4. GT:HD introduced a drifting challenge specifically to show off the improvements to the physics. GT5:Prologue Demo appears to use the physics model introduced in GT:HD as the simulation mode, but adds a professional mode which I suspect uses an even more realistic model (I say "suspect" because I still haven't had a chance to hook up my DFP).

The AI still needs work, especially when it comes to contact avoidance. I still get rear-ended in situations where the AI cars should have plenty of time to avoid mine. And you can still use AI cars as barriers to assist in turns because there is no penalty for doing so enforced within this demo. The current demo doesn't really give you much of an opportunity to see the AI cars exhibit aggression since the cars are so spread out. Again, remember this is a demo of a demo.

And it's hard to say the game feels like GT4 because there are 16 cars on the track (the demo places you in the 8th position in a rolling start). From the new in-car view, you have the feeling of being surrounded by cars (in addition to seeing cars ahead and being surrounded by your car's cockpit, you see cars in both rear and side mirrors). GT has always looked best when a lot of cars are in view...

Last edited:
What would be good is if they had flags in the races. If you used another car to help you get round a corner, you should get black flagged... or given a stop go penalty.

I guess i'll wait until the actual games out and see what the reviews are like. To be fair GT4 was much better than GT4 Prologue.

Latest official details about the impending Japanese release:

Product Outline​
Title: Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Genre: Online Car Life Simulator
System: PLAYSTATION®3
Target Release Date: Dec. 13, 2007
Cars: 37 cars
Courses: 5 Courses, 10 Layouts:
Superspeedway - Daytona International Speedway
The Road Course - Daytona International Speedway
Suzuka Circuit
Suzuka Circuit East Course
Fuji Speedway F
Fuji Speedway GT
Eiger Nordwand (Forward)
Eiger Nordwand (Reverse)
London (Forward)
London (Reverse)
Game Modes: Arcade (Single Race: Maximum 16 Cars)
Arcade (Time Trial)
Race Events (3 categories / 24 events)
Visual Contents: Gran Turismo TV “THE GT-R Legend INSIDE STORY Part I”
Course Guidance Videos
Visual Output: 480p / 720p / 1080i / 1080p
Sound: Dolby™ Digital Interactive Encoding
2ch / 5.1ch Surround
Peripherals: DUALSHOCK®3
Logicool GT FORCE® / GT FORCE®Pro / GT FORCE®RX
Required HDD Volume: More than 5121MB

Default Online Features​
News: News
Dealership News
Information: Motor Sports News
Map and Weather of Major Circuits Worldwide
Calendar
Gran Turismo TV: “First Impression LANCER EVOLUTION X”
“TOKYO MOTOR SHOW 2007”

Additional Online Features will be provided on Dec. 25, 2007​
Online Features: Online Events (Multiplayer Race: Maximum 16 Players)
Online Events (Time Trial)
Online Time Trial Ranking Boards
Download Ghost Replays from Online Time Trial Ranking Boards
Information: Museum (Car Manufacturers' History)

Other Features:​
Gran Turismo TV: Dec. 14 “THE GT-R Legend INSIDE STORY Part II”
Late Dec. “THE GT-R Legend INSIDE STORY Part III”

Car List​
Acura NSX
Alfa Romeo 147 TI 2.0 TWIN SPARK
Alfa Romeo Brera Sky Window 3.2 JTS Q4
Audi R8 4.2 FSI R tronic
Audi TT Coupe 3.2 quattro
BMW BMW Z4
BMW BMW 135i Coupe
BMW BMW M3 Coupe
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6)
Daihatsu Copen Active Top
Daihatsu OFC-1
Dodge VIPER GTS
Ferrari 599
Ferrari F430
Ford Mustang V8 GT Coupe Premium
Honda INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5)
Lancia DELTA HF Integrale Evoluzione
Lexus IS F
Lotus Elise 111R
Lotus Elise
Mazda ATENZA Sport (2007 Tokyo Motor Show reference exhibit)
Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R230)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR Premium Package
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R Vspec II Nur (R34)
Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33)
Nissan Skyline Sedan 350GT Type SP (V36)
Nissan Skyline Coupe Concept
Nissan Skyline Coupe 370GT Type SP (V36)
Nissan GT-R Proto
Nissan GT-R (R35)
Renault Clio Renault Sport V6 24V
Subaru IMPREZA WRX STI (18inch BBS Wheel Option)
Suzuki Cappuccino (EA21R)
Suzuki SWIFT Sport
TVR Tuscan Speed Six
Volkswagen Golf IV GTI

p04a.jpg

p01a.jpg

p02a.jpg

p05a.jpg

p18a.jpg

p17a.jpg

p14a.jpg

p19a.jpg

p22a.jpg

Last edited:
We in the US can buy/download from the Japanese site, right? If so it is time to start looking for a deal on a PS3.

Bought the PS2 in 2001, and still only have 2 games for it. GT3 and GT4.

Anybody played GT4 on an PS3? Is it worth it to pay more for the Emotion engine/upgraded backwards compatibility in a 40 -> 80 -> 60Gb PS3? In other words, is GT4 going to look any better on a PS3 than PS2?

We in the US can buy/download from the Japanese site, right? If so it is time to start looking for a deal on a PS3.

Yes and no. We can create a Japanese account to download free demos from the Japanese site, but we need a credit card registered to a Japanese address (or prepaid Japanese PlayStation Network Cards and the related card reader) to make purchases.

We can import Japanese games on Blu-ray (GT5: Prologue is available as a Blu-ray purchase) because the PS3 is not region coded for PS3 games.

Anybody played GT4 on an PS3? Is it worth it to pay more for the Emotion engine/upgraded backwards compatibility in a 40 -> 80 -> 60Gb PS3? In other words, is GT4 going to look any better on a PS3 than PS2?

Yes and no. We can play GT4 on a 20 / 60 / 80GB PS3 but not on the 40GB (since they dropped all PS2 hardware from the 40GB version). The 80GB version only has the PS2's graphics hardware and I don't have an 80GB version to know if there are any issues. In some ways it does look better on a PS3 with backwards compatibility. Output through HDMI, it is much sharper. Upscaling the original 480i output to a 1080p set actually works pretty well. Oddly, I'm not thrilled by how it looks when you select GT4's 480p or 1080i modes because you can tell the game is dropping to an indexed color mode (this was somewhat noticable on a PS2 connected to a LCD with component cables).

I keep forgetting to test my Driving Force Pro with GT4 on PS3 since the GT:HD got updated to support it. Initially, the wheels lacked force feedback.

Got it, thanks!

I want the ability to play GT4, so it sounds like I should get a 80 or 60Gb. It looks like either one is $499 locally. What do you think?

Also, how can I get the Japanese GT5 blu ray? I assume eBay, but I thought maybe there was a specialty importer somewhere online that I missed too.

NEW RELEASE VIDEO!!!! Still only out in Japan...my wish for a U.S. Prologue Christmas present didn't come true.

I want the ability to play GT4, so it sounds like I should get a 80 or 60Gb. It looks like either one is $499 locally. What do you think?

I personally like the 60GB option because it has full-hardware backwards compatibility. The 80GB uses a mix of software and hardware to do it, and, for some games (including GT3 and 4), there are some slight issues with the software emulation. Here is the official site to check if games you like have issues with either model.

Incidentally, I played a bunch of GT4 with the Driving Force Pro yesterday and force feedback definitely is working. I finally got to play GT5: Prologue demo with the wheel and the handling is definitely different than GT4.

Also, how can I get the Japanese GT5 blu ray? I assume eBay, but I thought maybe there was a specialty importer somewhere online that I missed too.

I have yet to buy an import. I've certainly seen Prologue on eBay.

Last edited:
Did they take down the demo. I tried the Japan account, but I can't read a damn thing. Can someone help me out?

ok- I bought my PS3- I went with the 40g since I already have a PS2, and could give a f--- about backwards compatability.

My big question is- When is GT5 (the real thing) going to come out? Enough Prologues, and Demos- I want the real thing.

When?

P

Ok, question for you PS3 guys. Why do they use a thottle and brake button where it is only on or off. The Xbox has a much better system because you can apply part throttle, 1/4, 1/2 etc etc. It is much more realistic. Why would these guys make a game like GT5 and not be able to apply part throttle?

Or do I just not know what the hell I am doing?

I like the GT5 demo, but the controls suck.

You must have lead fingers like me. (^_^) The buttons are pressure-sensitive analogue and one can also use the right stick for throttle/braking.

Ok, question for you PS3 guys. Why do they use a thottle and brake button where it is only on or off. The Xbox has a much better system because you can apply part throttle, 1/4, 1/2 etc etc. It is much more realistic. Why would these guys make a game like GT5 and not be able to apply part throttle?

Or do I just not know what the hell I am doing?

I like the GT5 demo, but the controls suck.

One of the things I like most about the PlayStation is that the controller has remained consistant through all 3 generations.

My old roomate has the 360, so I have some experience with it. I bought the PS3 last week so i can give some comparison-

The new PS3 sixaxis control has "triggers" (L2, and R2) just like the 360 (actually they feel a little better to me, but I am biased) In the Rally game "Dirt" the triggers are used for throttle and brake so you can modulate just like in the PGR series for 360. I haven't tried it, but I imagine you could reconfigure the controls of the game to use the triggers in place of the buttons if you wanted.
For GT, I like using the touch pads, but that is just from practice in the previous 4 games. I also prefer to use the controller rather than the steering wheel style controls.

Oh, and the sixaxis also has motion sensors (like the Wii). For one of the demo games that my girlfriend likes you "steer" by turning the controller like a steering wheel.

Give the ps3 a shot, I think you will like it at least equally to the 360, if not more.

P

Back