F1 2009 megathread

'10 F1 entries. The list looks interesting. Think Max and Bernie will find away to get all of these teams in?

USF1
Campos
Williams
Lola
Proddrive
Litespeed
March
Superfund
Epsilon Euskadi
Brabham (who bought all of Super Aguri's assets)
Secret Italian Team (Dallara?)
Ferrari*
McLaren*
Toyota*
Red Bull*
Torro Rosso*
Force India*
BWM*
Renault*
Brawn*

* conditional entry

Re: 40 car grid............

Now let's see 'em race like we do in SCCA and see how they deal with real wankers and backmarkers. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't know how this will be resolved because Spanky is really throwing down the smack now.

"We make the rules," he said, referring to the Paris-based federation that has governed the sport since 1950. "We have done it for 60 years and we are going to continue to do it.
And where was that quote from "a source close to" Spanky that implied that F-1 could be in for a shock like it's never seen before? Could it be that Spanky will fiddle while F-1 burns? After the events of the last 8 months, not much can shock me now. :wink:

Re: Rain in the forecast?

Vettel and Webber were going to be tough enough in the dry with the new trick diffuser (remember those? :rolleyes:). And Seabass is good if not the best now in the wet anyway, so how will it shape up now if it rains?

Maybe that diffuser won't be worth a crap in the wet; :rolleyes: maybe they'll go backwards like Williams :eek: has so dramatically done with their car development. Maybe...... but I phucquing doubt it. :wink:

I'm predicting a pretty good duel b/t Brawn and Fezza. At least I'm hoping for it.

And then I hope the FOTA decides to take Max's advice and start their own Formula series. :)

Vettel and Webber were going to be tough enough in the dry with the new trick diffuser (remember those? :rolleyes:). And Seabass is good if not the best now in the wet anyway, so how will it shape up now if it rains?

Maybe that diffuser won't be worth a crap in the wet; :rolleyes: maybe they'll go backwards like Williams :eek: has so dramatically done with their car development. Maybe...... but I phucquing doubt it. :wink:

Not as bad as Toyota has gone backwards, much worse than Williams.

I'm predicting a pretty good duel b/t Brawn and Fezza. At least I'm hoping for it.

And then I hope the FOTA decides to take Max's advice and start their own Formula series. :)

I'll follow FOTA to a new series.

Re: Toyota's worse than Williams?

Not as bad as Toyota has gone backwards, much worse than Williams.
Well, Toyota has slipped badly in the last 2 races, but Williams had already slipped into oblivion long before that. Team scores:

Toyota 26.5 with both drivers scoring 2X Nico R.
Williams 7.5 with Naki not scoring at all.

So while Williams is the worst now, I will concede the possibility that Toyota could overtake Williams and win the award for being "the worst with the most pre-season potential". :wink:

I'm on vacation in sw Florida at the moment, can anyone tell me what time and channel I might be able to watch the Turkish GP on tomorrow please?
Thanks.

it will be on FOX, 7 hours time delayed at 3pm ET. :mad:

You can get the torrent feed from UK's ITV in less than 7 hours after the race, and watch it on your computer.

Torrent: http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=darmeth&cat=8

Software: http://www.utorrent.com/

Container: http://www.matroska.org/

The latest Windows Media or Divx players can handle the container format. It's only SD, not HD, but the quality is very, very good, much better than S-VHS.

I prefer Racing-Underground, videos are usually uploaded within the hour. No Matroska files. Usually both .AVI and .MP4 are available, some in HD.

The Matroska files are readable by the latest Samsung LED TVs. I tried it myself at Best Buy. Uploaded the files to an 8GB USB flash and plugged it into the side of the TV and they all showed up right away.

Their top of the line TV model can retrieve the files from your network file server, so you truly can just sit on the couch and flip through the directories to pick what you want to watch.

Button will win it. Mark my words!!!

Button will win it. Mark my words!!!

Most likely. He's plenty far ahead right now, that I don't care if he doesn't win every race from now on. He's still gonna be WDC at the end of the season. ;)

No worries. Speed looks like it's showing the live race w/ the rebroadcast on Fox tomorrow.

Some of you lucky ones can just hop on this flight to watch Jens in Silverstone, and Vettel being told to slow down to save his car:

If you book now ...

Total Air, Taxes & Fees US$1,151.39 for 1 Adult

Flight duration: 10hrs 30min

Fri, Jun 19, Virgin Atlantic - Nonstop Flight 8

Depart: 5:35pm
Arrive: 12:05pm next day
Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to London, (LHR)

Sun, Jun 21, Virgin Atlantic - Nonstop Flight 23

Depart: 3:10pm
Arrive: 6:45pm
London, (LHR) to Los Angeles, CA (LAX)​

Some how, I have a feeling that Button is going to win 14 or 15 our the 17 races, beat MS's record. At the moment, button has no serious challengers.

Some how, I have a feeling that Button is going to win 14 or 15 our the 17 races, beat MS's record. At the moment, button has no serious challengers.
The manufacturer's win record is still within reach. Brawn GP has won 6 out of 7 races now in a 17 race calendar.

Quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_(racing):

After losing the previous two Constructors titles to Williams in 1986 and 1987, McLaren was able to convince Honda to switch its backing from Williams starting in 1988. The McLaren-Honda MP4/4 won an amazing 15 of 16 races that year and leading all but 27 laps, achieving a staggering and unbeaten record to this date. (Senna had been leading comfortably at Monza, but collided with back-marker Jean-Louis Schlesser's Williams.) Ayrton Senna took the driver's title that season, his first with the Woking marque.​

They came that close to winning every race in the year. If they had done that, surely it will be a record that will never again be equaled.

Rubens is the perfect teammate to Jenson: he's very fast, develops the car well, doesn't throw temper tantrums like Alonso vs. Hamilton at McLaren, and keeps the team's fortunes on an equal footing with his personal ambitions as a driver. That is a hard combination to find.

The fan base of both drivers are compatible as well: both drivers are working class heros, attracting the same class of followers as Nigel Mansell did in his prime.

I know I was a 100% Mansell fan back then, as much as I was a Canon camera fan already.

800px-Mansell_-_Williams_1985.jpg

I don't believe the 1988 McLaren Honda record will ever be beaten.

As for the way F1 is structured today, it will be very hard for Jenson to loose the title. The car is reliable, he is a smooth driver, one of the best today (As commented by SpeedTV commentator today, he did not miss an apex all season).

In fact, he is driving better than MS during the 03/04 season in a car that is on par of better than those two Ferraris.

I can see however, Brawn back away from further development of the car 2/3 the way through the season if they see the championship is likely to be locked in. So they can spend their limited funds on next year's car.

As for the 2010 rule, the only major change in my knowledge is no refueling, some thing that has been already, so the playing field on that particular rule will still be the same as today.

As for the good old days of 1980's, reliability was an issue even when Honda was dominating the tracks. Their engine did blow up on many occasions, causing Honda's own drivers to look the championship between them selves. Honda is smart, supply engines to top teams, regardless which driver suffers reliability, they still have other top drivers to win the title. It is not the case in today's F1.

(As commented by SpeedTV commentator today, he did not miss an apex all season)
Oh, he has ran wide a few times during the race, even sufficiently badly to lose position. The real classy thing for Brawn GP to do next is to pay Rubens 7/8 of what Jenson is making.

In modern F1 history, the only companies to achieve major success as engine suppliers are: Cosworth+Ilmor, Ferrari, Honda, Renault. Mercedes-Benz simply does not belong in that short list. Notice how every single time MB is mentioned in Brawn GP's P.R. material, they always note the location of the engine design house is in Brixworth, U.K.

Honda's F1 engines are always designed in Japan !

In modern F1 history, the only companies to achieve major success as engine suppliers are: Cosworth+Ilmor, Ferrari, Honda, Renault. Mercedes-Benz simply does not belong in that short list. Notice how every single time MB is mentioned in Brawn GP's P.R. material, they always note the location of the engine design house is in Brixworth, U.K.

Honda's F1 engines are always designed in Japan !

Cosworth had great success because at one point, every one was using their engine.

Ferrari had a 20 some years of zero accomplishment, it wasn't until Osamu Goto from Honda stepped into the Ferrari factory they start to have some kind of success. Honda and Renault are the two true modern day player but even with Honda, Honda in the 80/90's were pumping more money into their engine program than all other team spend all season. They couldn't shine during an era when Aero grip was the way to win. As for MB, I guess it doesn't really matter where it is built, it has a MB logo on it with MB engineers. To me, it make sense since the racing teams they sponsored are in England, but you can make that argument, few will counter argue with you.

Back