• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Down Force intake Scoop.. Wow!

Re: Down Force intake SCOOP..WOW!!

Honda originally designed the intake to "minimize boom and roar", a severe mistake because the sound at 8000 rpm is pure intoxication (9500 was even better). I originally designed my intake in 1993 out of fiberglass (with UNI fiter later) which became the inspiration/ precursor to the Cantrell AIS . It seems ridiculous that people are having an issue about a piece that is so inherently obvious to design; basically connect point A to point B smoothly while avoiding the gas line. Once the design has been addressed, the only other issue is price. Mine cost $5 dollars in foam (to form the intake), $20 to wrap in fiberglass and $3 to spray paint (cost of labor: priceless). Afterburner now owns the 91 black that has my original intake piece. As for HP gains, I'm not sure how much can be gained besides widening the intake (stock piece looks restrictive compared to airbox mouth)- you can just remove the intake also. The side vent neither protrudes out enough to be a functioning scoop (speed dependent) nor is it correctly design to accelerate airflow without creating turbulence like a true NACA vent. Anyhow, the roar is still worth the time and money...

Regards

Last edited:

Got mine in mail a few days ago. Installed last night and it took all of 10 minutes. That would include removing the wheel well liner.
Haven't had a chance to drive it yet but revved the engine a couple of times in garage and could hear a difference now. Guess because it is coming from the scoop near the drivers ear.
Will take it out next couple of days and give more feedback.

Big_nate said:
Mine did not come with any screws but you can reuse whats already there. There are three attachment screws for the original intake and one screw on the intake itself that is removeable. Between all those you'll have 4, one to attach each bracket to the scoop and one for each attachment point. I guess I'd agree with the previous posts about the liner in that it does feel a little tight when you put it back on, but its not bulging out or anything. I also knocked out my fuel door release when I finally 'popped' the scoop into its proper position. I was able to get it back into place reaching over the top of the scoop without removing it so I don't think it actually interferes with the mechanism. Good luck!

Nate

Mine came a couple of days ago...early even! So, how long does it take to stick on?? An hour? Doesn't look too bad.

edit: Just saw the above post...10mins eh? I better get my stopwatch out and see if I can beat it. lol

Last edited:

I received my scoop today and will install it this weekend. Thanks Peter, you delivered a great part at a great price and right on time! :smile: (Happy Customer)

Got mine ahead of schedule. Product as promised. Started on it late evening and once your set, the intake itself litteraly takes 10 minutes to put in. No fitment issues. Very "plug n' play" type install. Went for a boot and can confirm all the good things mentioned on previous threads. Very happy with product. Thanks Peter/Downforce!

Shumdit said:
Yes, drivers side only. The right side vent does not serve a function that I can see.

Except getting some cold air into the engine compartment...helps push the heat out the vents behind the rear window I imagine.

The intake is so sweeeet. I LOVE hitting the gas now, just to hear the thing. Sounds fantastic!!!

menuserve said:
so the wheel and liner need to be removed to install this?

Hi

You could take the lower screw out and then a few wheel liner plugs out in the "front". Then you can tuck the liner away behind the brake. Then mount the scoop and refit the plugs.

Regards

I'm not sure if you could squeeze that thing in there with the wheel on...take the 5mins and remove the wheel...it'll make it a lot easier to work on.

I even used the factory jack (with a jackstand for extra safety)...was easy.

menuserve said:
martin...

are you saying that the wheel doesn't have to come off?

Hi

You need to take the wheel off. What I ment was that you unscrew half of the wheel liner. Tuck it behind the brakedisc so it is not in the way when you are installing the scoop.

You do not have to take the whole wheel liner off only remove the tabs until "12 o'clock" if you know what I mean.

I am sorry it is late and my english is going bad.. :redface:

Regards

I just drove it down the road and WOW!!! I can certainly hear a difference and probably feel a minor amount. The sound you hear when you it the throttle thru the scoop is awesome ! Well worth the few $$$ and the small amount of time it takes to install.
Great product.

Just so I understand....this part is purely for sound correct? No really significant horsepower gains or anything. Is there any possible downside to using it? I know that some of the aftermarket intakes allow more dirt particles in and can damage the motor. Please advise....thanks! :)

Mitch, I think it has been documented that this mod (with the $35.00 unifilter) will net you 6 or 7 HP at the rear wheels on the Dyno, so it's more than just the sound (although that's why I bought one!)

^^^ Shumdit - I dont believe that that is correct. I think that SOS dynod the Cantrell AIS and reported those numbers. The Downforce unit, while seemingly the same, may have a different result. Wont know till someone does it.

Shumdit said:
Mitch, I think it has been documented that this mod (with the $35.00 unifilter) will net you 6 or 7 HP at the rear wheels on the Dyno, so it's more than just the sound (although that's why I bought one!)

Okay....thanks. I mean, if it makes the car sound cooler I am all for that, I just wanted to be sure. Do you have to permanently modify or harm the car or OEM intake system in any way to install this?

Meeyatch1 said:
Okay....thanks. I mean, if it makes the car sound cooler I am all for that, I just wanted to be sure. Do you have to permanently modify or harm the car or OEM intake system in any way to install this?

No, just buy it. :smile: Once they're done makin' it, it'll prolly go up in value too like my 91 will once production ends! woohoo! :tongue:

SPA_S2000 said:
^^^ Shumdit - I dont believe that that is correct. I think that SOS dynod the Cantrell AIS and reported those numbers. The Downforce unit, while seemingly the same, may have a different result. Wont know till someone does it.

DYNO INFO - The Downforce Cold Air Scoop was intalled on my car yesterday. We did dyno pulls before and after install at the Greenlight NSX Dyno Day. I already had UNI filter installed and it remained installed for both pulls. The increase was 4.5 RWHP from the Downforce scoop. This is definitely a worth while mod. :biggrin: I'm going to post the graphs once I get them scanned. Also, another NSX owner did before/after dynos with the UNI filter vs. the stock air filter yesterday. The UNI filter was responsible for the 2 RWHP gain.

Driving impression - The exhuast sounds a bit deeper in cabin, but same outside of car. Car seems to pull harder and react quicker, especially on the freeway. I'm assuming this is because of the ram air effect causing a HP increase of more than the stand still, dyno 4.5 RWHP.

Purchasing note - When I bought my scoop from Downforce I was a bit skeptical. I was not a big fan of having to pay by Paypal. It just seemed shady to me. However, the price was right so I took the chance. Peter actually had my scoop earlier than promised and met me near my house to deliver the scoop. No shady business here. The scoop was built well and fit perfect. No bulging of the fender well liner with my install. I give Downforce two thumbs up!!! Get it while supplies last! :smile:

SPA_S2000 said:

I know that was the Cantrell unit, but from what others have told me it is an exact copy, so I would think the HP gains would at least be close (again, not my reason for buying it). :cool:

Back