Do NOT buy cheap brakes or tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't buy ANY of these tires. And it's a no-brainer, any time you can get more performance for less money.

The Goodyear F1 GS-D3 currently costs $143/tire in 215/40-17 with their current $40/set rebate offer. It's better than ANY of these. And that's not just my opinion based on driving it, but also that of the tire testers at Car and Driver (where the last two tires listed were included in its test, along with higher-level models from the other manufacurers listed).

Furthermore, if you're willing to degrade the performance of your NSX in order to save a few bucks on tires, there is no reason to get the less-expensive tires listed in that post, either. Compared with the previously-mentioned Kumho SPT, the ES100 costs more, is similar on dry pavement, is worse on wet pavement. The g-Force Sport costs more, is worse on wet and dry. The KDW2 is similar to the SPT in performance, but almost twice as much money (and the KDW2 is nowhere near as good as the F1 GS-D3, which is only a few bucks more). Oh, the SPT is $90 in 215/40-17. So if you're primarily looking to save money, the SPT is a better buy than the first three, pure and simple.

Again, I think you're better off spending more money for tires with better performance, such as the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, rather than the cheaper budget tires.

Absolutely NOT true. I have driven NSXs for long track sessions where the brakes get hot, with stock brake lines and with stainless steel brake lines. There is absolutely NO difference. No difference in pedal travel, no difference in pedal feel, no difference in pedal response, no difference in sensitivity.

There is NO difference in feel between well-maintained NSXs with stock brake lines, and with stainless steel brake lines. No difference on the track, no difference on the street. NONE.

You've argued this way too many times. We already understand your point as well as mine. It's beating a dead horse. Your claim that anyone can feel a difference between the two is JUST NOT TRUE.
You are so often opinionated. And a good portion of the time with mis-information/false beliefs... Goodyear better be paying you thousands to endorse their products as annoyingly as you do. We get it, they are good tires. Yes your post putting them in the price range of the tires that I listed was helpful but you can be a little less of a PITA about it as well as not rejecting and saying how poorly the other tires listed are. I would hardly call the tires I list "cheap budget tires". Yes they are inexpensive, but they are great tires and deliver good performance for the price.

For the price range given, their are some tires that are acceptable and actually not that bad (G-Force Sports) for street/track use, and hard to get a tire as good as it in the same price range.
Are their better tires - yes
are they more expensive - yes
is it worth it -depends on the funding of the reader.
Do I recommend spending the most $ on the best tire you can afford because it's the only safety-performance device on your car that touches the road - YES.

But their has to be options for some people who for one reason or another cannot afford tire X, and I was giving them options that were acceptable, that I have tracked that for a given price range are good tires.

Chill out NSXtacy, o' "Fangio of the Forum"... :rolleyes:

At a track event earlier this year I began with stock lines, fresh ATE, cobalt xr2/xr3 pads and azenis. My car has 60k miles and I assume that the brake lines are original. I switched to ss lines (and speedbleeders) over lunch and went back out. The pedal was noticeably firmer under hard braking; the difference was pronounced enough that I could not dismiss it as a "butt dyno" result.

There must be a subjective reason to explain why, with all other variables minimized, some people do not notice a difference in performance between stock nsx brake lines and ss lines, yet others do notice a difference. Are stock nsx brake lines thicker or made of a different kind of material than other honda brake lines? At what psi will the internal walls of a stock nsx brake line begin to distort, and can that level of force be replicated under street or track conditions? Will ss lines prevent flex at that particular psi? I'd be surprised if anybody here has access to that kind of technical data, but I figure the questions are worth asking.

I don't care about a harder pedal feel of this or that brake line as it won't help me in daily driving scenario. At the track you MAY benefit if you're braking at the limit.

My concern is of a different point of view: The OEM brake lines of the 91's are 16 years old now. Knowing that the rubber parts in the NSX are extremely long lasting they won't last forever. I used to replace the brake lines in my VW every 4-6 years as they showed bubbles or began to get chapped! Anyone had to change them on the NSX and why?

Goodyear better be paying you thousands
That's funny, because people have said the same thing about Yokohama, and about Kumho, and about Falken! :biggrin:

For the price range given, their are some tires that are acceptable and actually not that bad (G-Force Sports) for street/track use, and hard to get a tire as good as it in the same price range.
It's not hard at all; all you have to do is go to the Tire Rack website. In the same price range as the g-Force Sport, and actually slightly cheaper in most sizes, you can get the Kumho SPT. The SPT performs better than the g-Force Sport on dry pavement, better on wet pavement, lasts longer, and it's slightly cheaper. It's better in every way. It sounds like you've never driven or ridden on the SPT; I have (as well as the g-Force Sport), even in pouring rain, and they are excellent, noticeably superior.

Better still, better than either one, is the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 (and a few other top-of-the-line tires) but you'll pay more for them. Most NSX owners are looking for more performance - look at all the posts here about aftermarket mods, and even your opening post tells people to spend more for better tires - which is why the F1 GS-D3 is the most popular aftermarket tire among NSX owners. But those willing to sacrifice some performance for an inexpensive tire are still better off with the SPT than the g-Force Sport.

From time to time, new tires come onto the market that are better than older ones. Right now, the best all-around general-application summer tires IMHO are the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 regardless of price, and the Kumho SPT for those who are looking for a lower-priced tire, which is why I recommend them. Five years ago, before either of these was introduced, I was recommending the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position regardless of price, and the Yokohama ES100 for a lower-priced tire. Five years in the future, I will probably be recommending something newer on the market with even better performance than these.

Are stock nsx brake lines thicker or made of a different kind of material than other honda brake lines?
Based on my understanding from the techs at various dealerships, many of the NSX parts are thicker, more durable, and/or constructed differently from any other Honda/Acura model.

Last edited:
Back